USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
I have a random question - and I don't mean for it to freak anyone out or add undue stress (because maybe I'm just the last person to hear this):

But has anyone heard about the USMLE changing the test difficulty every 10 years or so to "re-normalize" the score distribution? If so, is it true that the scores this year for us may be lower because of it?

I feel like you're treading very dangerous territory with this one haha. Even if the difficulty does increase, I think step 1 is based on a curve. In which case, although it may result in lower raw scores, it shouldn't affect the scaled scores. You could be right, though. I don't think anyone really understands the enigma that is the scoring of USMLE.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like you're treading very dangerous territory with this one haha. Even if the difficulty does increase, I think step 1 is based on a curve. In which case, although it may result in lower raw scores, it shouldn't affect the scaled scores. You could be right, though. I don't think anyone really understands the enigma that is the scoring of USMLE.

Thank you! That "information" was going around my school and we collectively weren't sure if that was just a scare tactic, lol.

I didn't mean to cause panic so if anyone reads this JUST IGNORE IT.

We're all going to do great!

I know that everyone up to 5/31 is definitely getting their score on June 28th. Does anyone know if June 12 test takers will also get their score next week? June 28 is technically 3 Wednesdays from our test date since we tested on Monday haha!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a random question - and I don't mean for it to freak anyone out or add undue stress (because maybe I'm just the last person to hear this):

But has anyone heard about the USMLE changing the test difficulty every 10 years or so to "re-normalize" the score distribution? If so, is it true that the scores this year for us may be lower because of it?
Have not heard that from any substantial source.

I know that everyone up to 5/31 is definitely getting their score on June 28th. Does anyone know if June 12 test takers will also get their score next week? June 28 is technically 3 Wednesdays from our test date since we tested on Monday haha!
It's a "3 or 4 Wednesday's" rule depending on when you take the test.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

can anyone pretttty please help me? Can people post what their % right was on uworld self-assessment 2 and what 3 digit score that correlated to?

Mine got effed up for some reason and shut off at the 4th block around question 10. Ahhh... I have the percentages for my first 3 blocks, and they were all pretty much the same. I can guesstimate an actual score if I see what other people's % correct correlated to.

My exam is in 4 days so I am kinda freaking out :(. actually majorly panicking.

I'm an avg student, my first block was 70%, 2nd block 80%, 3rd block 70%, 4th block.... I got the 1st ten right and then it shut me out... so who knows, I probably could have gotten anywhere between a 70-75% on that block.

Tried looking at last year's posts, but I know they changed the curve this year to make it more like the real thing.

Thank you!!!
91% = 266
I heard 75% = 245

UWSA2 is supposed to be close to your real score, so you're probably somewhere in the 240's. No need to be freaking out!

91% = 266
I heard 75% = 245

UWSA2 is supposed to be close to your real score, so you're probably somewhere in the 240's. No need to be freaking out!

84%, 256 - so trending toward low 240s if in the mid 70s.

Slowly dying and wanted to share my study plan for those in the middle/beginning step studying. 9 days left until the score release and it can't come soon enough.

I started reviewing MS1 material in fall of MS2; I spent 4 hours a week just reading FA from MS1 and then 4 hours a week on the organ block that we were currently doing. With this, I finished reviewing MS1 material by winter break and was a solid way through the organ systems. I started UWorld in January; I spent a week on each chapter, finishing up FA (and redoing what I had reviewed in the fall)/reviewing pathoma/doing ~20 UWorld questions a day.

With that, I had around ~1200 UWorld questions left when I started my 6 weeks of dedicated studying. I wrapped up UWorld first place in my first two weeks of dedicated and also did DIT. During weeks 3/4, I reviewed incorrect and marked questions (at a slower pace) and finished up DIT. During weeks 5/6, I did a 3rd pass of First Aid and Pathoma (and referenced DIT).

Stats:
UWorld %le: 90th
NBME 15 (4 weeks out): 255
UWSA #1 (4 weeks out): 266
NBME 17 (2.5 weeks out): 259
NBME 19 (1.5 weeks out): 261
NBME 18 (3 days out): 263

Walked out of exam: Feeling rough. Still feel rough. Counted approximately ~15 so far I know I got wrong, banking on some more.
Anticipating: really no idea. Gut says 245-255 but that might be optimistic.
I would bet money you got 250+. You have a large enough sample size to show this. Test day always feels worse. Rest easy.

Took it today, if you remember I previously posted thinking I might fail. I don't think I failed, there were a decent amount of gimme questions. The test was difficult but fair, there are too many fear mongerers on here. It is a doable test if you decently know ufap. Cheers and good luck.

Reactions: 5 users
Took it today, if you remember I previously posted thinking I might fail. I don't think I failed, there were a decent amount of gimme questions. The test was difficult but fair, there are too many fear mongerers on here. It is a doable test if you decently know ufap. Cheers and good luck.

thats what i said and ppl are all "if you think it was easy it prob has a rough curve" whatever. i think if you panic then yea the test seems hard. but most of it is fair if you go in and disconnect your emotions and be as objective as possible. and i recall most of my questions, very fair distribution too in terms of systems.

doesn't mean i killed it or anything, I'm praying for average like most folks.

Alas the beast has been slain.
Whatever happens happens I'm just glad its over.

I'd say the exam was pretty fair in terms of easy and wtf questions. But definitely had lots of anatomy. Lots of obscure molecular stuff and cancer genes which i could have never prepared for.
Lots of pictures/graphs/audio questions.
The one peice of advise i can give you guys is: KNOW PHYSIOLOGY! Arrow type questions were on every block and they're easy marks if you know physiology.

The icing on the cake in terms of wtf questions (at least for me) was a question that asked me to name the specific CYP450 enzyme that metabolized a certain drug.
I'd seen a question like that in uworld once and didn't pay much attention to it. I remembered doing that question and i then proceded to lol.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Alas the beast has been slain.
Whatever happens happens I'm just glad its over.

I'd say the exam was pretty fair in terms of easy and wtf questions. But definitely had lots of anatomy. Lots of obscure molecular stuff and cancer genes which i could have never prepared for.
Lots of pictures/graphs/audio questions.
The one peice of advise i can give you guys is: KNOW PHYSIOLOGY! Arrow type questions were on every block and they're easy marks if you know physiology.

The icing on the cake in terms of wtf questions (at least for me) was a question that asked me to name the specific CYP450 enzyme that metabolized a certain drug.
I'd seen a question like that in uworld once and didn't pay much attention to it. I remembered doing that question and i then proceded to lol.

I had a CYP450 question like that as well, on both USMLE and COMLEX. No idea why it's so high yield, but the test writers seem to love it.

Last edited:
Took the test today. Tonnes of silly mistakes! Absolutely disappointed. TRUST ME- The test is very much doable. Get your physiology micro and general path right and you are going to ace the test.

Reactions: 3 users
I took the test Tuesday. Coming out I felt pretty good but now that it has been a few days, I'm not so sure. I've counted around 20 wrong answers already. Some of those were gimmies so I am pretty disappointed. I'd be surprised if I got anything above a 230, more likely I scored somewhere in the 210-220 range. Overall, I felt the test was a fair mix of straightforward questions with some very difficult 2nd to 3rd order questions sprinkled into every block (probably 10-15 per block). This in addition to some of the easier questions which I messed up on, is what I think will set my score back.

These were my practice test scores leading up to it:

UWSA1: 208 (6 weeks) <--- freaked out, especially since they say this one overestimates
NBME 16: 223 (5 weeks)
NBME 18: 225 (4 weeks)
UWSA2: 239 (3 weeks)
NBME 17: 242 (2 weeks)
free 120: 85% (1 week)

How do people remember so many questions after? I can remember 5-6, if I really sat down and tried to write them out maybe I could come up with more but why?

Reactions: 3 users
How do people remember so many questions after? I can remember 5-6, if I really sat down and tried to write them out maybe I could come up with more but why?
Its cuz I unfortunately have to study for COMLEX, so going through FA again helps with the recall haha. I've shed enough tears already to fill a bathtub each time I recognize a mistake.

Flipping through FA after the test helped me recall questions.

June 6 exam peeps when we expecting our scores to be out? If it's not on the 28th we might be waiting until July 12 if they typically don't release scores on the week of July 4.

Its cuz I unfortunately have to study for COMLEX, so going through FA again helps with the recall haha. I've shed enough tears already to fill a bathtub each time I recognize a mistake.
True yea, I forget some people arnt done entirely. I left it it all at the testing center I don't want to think about having to keep going

I don't know how people can go through FA to look up answers after their tests. Seeing all of the incorrect answers would make the 3 week wait so much more painful.

I don't know how people can go through FA to look up answers after their tests. Seeing all of the incorrect answers would make the 3 week wait so much more painful.
I don't think (most) people go through and look up the answers they got wrong. A lot of people have to take the COMLEX 3-5 days after the USMLE and run through a few sections of FA to cover weaknesses.

I need some advise from past test takers on what you think is the best plan of action from now till my exam date. My USMLE is on July 5th. I am about 80% through UW right now (76% average, timed, random) which will give me about 600 or so missed questions when I am finished with UWorld. I should be finishing up UW by next Thursday, which would give me about 4 days in between finishing UW and my exam (I am taking the day before my exam off). My lowest sections on UWorld are anatomy, biostatistics, and pathophysiology.

My question is what should I do in those four days before my exam? I know everyone says to go over the questions you got wrong, but doing UWorld took way longer than I thought it was and I am cutting it short with time. I have taken four practice tests so far:

NBME 16: 236
NBME 17: 240
UWSA1: 258
NBME 19: 244
UWSA 2: TBD
NBME 18: TBD

My goal is 250.

So for those four days should I do my wrong answers in UWorld, review weaknesses, do Kaplan questions on my weaknesses? I feel it may be beneficial to read BRS physiology based on what everyone here is saying about the arrow questions. I have about 25 pages of notes on UW so maybe I should just read that instead of doing the UW questions again. Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Last edited:
I need some advise from past test takers on what you think is the best plan of action from now till my exam date. My USMLE is on July 5th. I am about 80% through UW right now (76% average, timed, random) which will give me about 600 or so missed questions when I am finished with UWorld. I should be finishing up UW by next Thursday, which would give me about 4 days in between finishing UW and my exam (I am taking the day before my exam off). My lowest sections on UWorld are anatomy, biostatistics, and pathophysiology.

My question is what should I do in those 4 days before my exam? I know everyone says to go over the questions you got wrong, but doing UWorld took way longer than I thought it was and I am cutting it short with time. I have taken four practice tests so far:

My goal is 250.

So for those four days should I do UW incorrects, review weaknesses, do Kaplan questions on my weaknesses???? I am not sure what to do... I have about 25 pages of notes on UW so maybe I should just read that instead of doing the UW questions again. Anyone have any advice?

Go over weaknesses in the last few days. Whether that includes questions or not is up to you. I suggest you go thru UW faster. I know you've told me it takes you awhile to review them, but it sounds like it's still too slow. By now, you should be reading thru explanations faster, especially if it's rehashing concepts you've seen multiple times. And definitely still do NBME 18 and UWSA2, they are the most accurate predictors of score from what I've heard (YMMV).

I'm a few days out. Going over weakness right now. Does anyone has any advice aside from immuno/path & pathoma first 3 chapters?

Last edited:

My question is what should I do in those four days before my exam? I know everyone says to go over the questions you got wrong, but doing UWorld took way longer than I thought it was and I am cutting it short with time. I have taken four practice tests so far:

My goal is 250.

So for those four days should I do my wrong answers in UWorld, review weaknesses, do Kaplan questions on my weaknesses? I feel it may be beneficial to read BRS physiology based on what everyone here is saying about the arrow questions. I have about 25 pages of notes on UW so maybe I should just read that instead of doing the UW questions again. Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

I haven't taken my test yet so take this with a grain of salt.. If I were you I would go over the FA section for biostatistics and write those equations out until you have them memorized. Go through the parts of the chapter that are tripping you up the most. I did this about 4 weeks ago and I've only missed like 1 biostats question since which boosted my score quite a bit. Here is a link that might be helpful for example problems:

D@mn you guys are superstars or really get NBME questions. I got 257 on UWSA1 and 251 on UWSA2, but all of my NBMEs are around 220-230. I'm a few days out. Going over weakness right now. Does anyone has any advice aside from immuno/path & pathoma first 3 chapters?

Heme/onc, cellular bio, and endocrine/CV physiology was pretty heavily tested for my particular exam (but may not show up on yours).

My goal is 250.

I think you are doing great, friend! In addition to what @Ace Khalifa said, I would make sure you are keeping fresh on easy concepts as well. The week leading up to my exam (for me at least), I was hitting so much HY/weakness stuff that I started forgetting important topics like drugs and g-coupled receptor pathways; go figure that came up on my test big-time. Spend an equal amount of time doing HY/weakness stuff and refreshing core concepts.

84%, 256 - so trending toward low 240s if in the mid 70s.

Sorry to ask about this again, thanks for helping!
So.. if I am getting 10 wrong per block, you think it is safe to sit?

I am supposed to sit this sunday, so kinda urgent. I'm an avg student...already pushed my test back twice. I am literally so stressed I don't even know what to do these last 2 days. I'm looking through first aid and feel like I still know / remember nothing ha.

10 wrong per block is like a 75%...
At this point I would be happy with a 215-220.

I did the free 120 a few days ago and got an 80%

I don't know what is normal. Like is ten wrong per block good/bad/what kind of score does that probably fetch you?
The NBMEs say that 75% is almost failing.
Pleaseeee anyone help/advice. Why is this example so impossible? I've been at this for 8 weeks - and if I don't sit on Sunday I essentially can't start third year (which starts Monday). At this point I am so drained that I can't even look at this stuff anymore. I just want to sit and get it over with, but also do not want to fail.

A couple of days ago, someone needed help with studying psych. I had my step 1 in a few days and couldn't really pay much attention and reply to that post in detail. Retrospectively analyzing, I think psych was one of my strengths. Will be happy to help you out and clarify any doubts. Not that I want to tutor or anything. Just a friend helping out another. Thanks

A couple of days ago, someone needed help with studying psych. I had my step 1 in a few days and couldn't really pay much attention and reply to that post in detail. Retrospectively analyzing, I think psych was one of my strengths. Will be happy to help you out and clarify any doubts. Not that I want to tutor or anything. Just a friend helping out another. Thanks
I asked for help with psych. I have a slightly better understanding of concepts but nowhere close to where I want to be.

Hey guys, I've been a long time lurker of SDN but finally decided to make an account today and share my step 1 experience so far. It's been helpful reading other posts and at times anxiety hits as I'm sure is the case for most of us. I'm a US MD student and have yet to take step 1 at the end of July (delayed due to not much progress during dedicated time). My NBME scores have been increasing significantly over the last several weeks which is so motivating but SCARY at the same time. Makes me wonder whether these exams are actually predictive of anything. I had not done any Step 1 studying during M2 year and basically started on 4/23. Anyhow here are my stats:

3/18 NBME 15- took this as a baseline exam and got a 134. yes a 134 because my internet connection was lost and I basically missed the entire last block. Super frustrating.
4/23 NBME 16- 146 (decided to consider this as the correct baseline score and I was terrified afterwards)
5/7 NBME 15- 190 (took this form again because of the glitch the first time. I didn't remember 95% of the questions but still considered this to be a bit over predictive since it was my second time taking it)
5/27 NBME 13- 190 (same score as form 15 a few weeks ago and I was losing hope because I was studying a lot and not seeing any progress. Decided it was time to try DIT because reading FA and doing UWORLD alone wasn't helping)
6/11 NBME 19- 219 (I was planning on taking NBME 17 on this day but after reading that there was quite a bit of anatomy on that form, I decided to do form 19 instead because I had not reviewed much anatomy at all. Considering how harsh the curve was on this one, I was absolutely shocked and ecstatic to get this score. I found DIT to be extremely helpful for those with a weak base)
6/22 NBME 17- 240!!! Is this real life? Can someone please tell me this one is very predictive of step 1 score? I'm on cloud 9 right now but know I still have a lot of work to do in the next 4 weeks.

As you can see my scores have been all over the place but trending upwards. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Seems like everyone on this forum starts really high and goes upwards.

Holy moly! You give me strength!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I asked for help with psych. I have a slightly better understanding of concepts but nowhere close to where I want to be.

Let me know if there is any particular topic you'd like to discuss. I had major issues with psych initially. It made more sense when I did second pass uworld, and that's when I could really say disorders apart. For example- schizoaffective vs. MDD with mood disorder and weird differentials such as that. It's a piece of cake for some students. As for me? Im just an average student. You could just message me if you want to. Don't want to spoil the theme of this thread by making it a 'behavioral science' thread. Lol

Took mine on April 27th and my permit button finally disappeared this morning (I was registered eligible through the beginning of July). Looks like the scores really are coming next week! I was a little worried they'd get delayed again or something.

Took mine on April 27th and my permit button finally disappeared this morning (I was registered eligible through the beginning of July). Looks like the scores really are coming next week! I was a little worried they'd get delayed again or something.
Disappeared for me also and I took it on June 6th! Welcome, anxiety!

So if your permit disappears (aka "Scheduling not available") that means your score will be coming out the following wednesday?

People would say in the past , that if your permit disappears it's a sign that you passed (based on reading old posts) is this still true ?

Post from an old thread that I found (not sure if it is really true or not?):

Unless your permit schedule date is over. Here's are different scenarios.

1 - Your permit schedule date is over: which means they took off your permit since you can not use it anymore, so you might have pass or failed, and have to wait to get the results.

2- Your permit schedule date is NOT over yet:

i) it's the 3th or 4th week and you except your score that Wednesday and you see your permit disappears, that means fsmb got your score and you have passed and took off your permit. And that make sense since u don't need it anymore. I say this because I was just curious about it and read peoples post and apparently everyone who their permit disappeared and were in the schedule permit period, passed. And read couple of posts where people got their score and schedule permit was still there and they failed.

ii) it's the 2nd or 3rd week and you won't be getting your score that Wednesday and your permit is still there, but when u click on it you get an error or it says that you have sat for the exam. So just hope that permit icon disappears on the upcoming Sunday or Monday.

For me it was part 2, section i....I saw it disappear and had a good feeling that I had passed and were just waiting for the score.

I hope this helps people who are anxiously waiting for their results...GL everyone

If anyone had a experience and thinks this information is not correct please let everyone know.....

Reactions: 4 users
Holy crap! Got the "scheduling is not available" under the scheduling tab too! Can't believe it's gonna happen!! Took it June 5th

Can anyone comment on this-

so from what I've gathered from people who have taken nbme18 in the last few weeks-
60 wrong = 207
45 wrong = 219
41 wrong = 230
36 wrong =234
31 wrong = 236
27 wrong = 242

I'm confused how going from 41 to 45 wrong drops you ten pts? But then from 45 to 60 drops you a little more than ten pts?

Can you basically get more wrong the farther away you get from the average without your score dropping significantly?
I'm really bad at stats..

Holy crap! Got the "scheduling is not available" under the scheduling tab too! Can't believe it's gonna happen!! Took it June 5th

Mine has also disappeared (took it in late May, expiration date was late July). Does anyone think it's possible that they will release the scores officially today or perhaps they are going through all the exams since April 24th and doing a bunch at a time and ultimately releasing the scores next Wednesday? Heart rate is up now also lol.

By the way in terms of the permit disappearing I did find somebody on a step 3 blog from a few years back who took step 3 and he said that his permit disappeared but he ultimately failed, so I'm not exactly sure what the permit disappearing means. I could see it going either way, you took the exam and whether or not you failed you've used your permit and cannot sign up again using that one and will have to apply again for another one, or I could see it being, you passed the exam and no longer are eligible to take the exam anymore because once you pass you pass.