USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Was it like some crazy weird anatomy like that uworld question of retroperitoneal bleeds from putting in a line above the inguinal ligament?

Random example but that question still doesnt make sense for me
Nearly punched my screen during that question, it was even worse when Goljan talked about it a few days later in one of the audio files

Reactions: 2 users
Was it like some crazy weird anatomy like that uworld question of retroperitoneal bleeds from putting in a line above the inguinal ligament?

Nearly punched my screen during that question, it was even worse when Goljan talked about it a few days later in one of the audio files

QID please, if you can?

Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know I'm late and haven't followed this thread much, but I'm going bonkers. I took the exam May 5th and really want my score this week, even though I know that's not going to happen. I have little panic attacks every day just thinking about it haha!

I know I'm late and haven't followed this thread much, but I'm going bonkers. I took the exam May 5th and really want my score this week, even though I know that's not going to happen. I have little panic attacks every day just thinking about it haha!

I got a real simple fix for that. You can purchase it at your local drug store. Goes by ethanol or Cuervo? Not too sure. Ya, shortly after the only step 1 you'll be worrying about is the one step in front of you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hard work starting to materialize. Went from a 225 NBME 15 5 weeks out to a 250 NBME 16 3 1/2 weeks out. Let's go squad!

Reactions: 9 users
Nice job! Im about to take 15, but how'd you do it?

Content review in the mornings followed by 2 timed u-world blocks with full review in the afternoon/evening. For content review I did a systems chapter of first aid per day until that was done did 3 Pathoma chapters a day until that was done. I sprinkled in pharm and micro when relevant. Now I'm going to start all over again but from the beginning of FA.

Reactions: 6 users
Trying to differentiate between acute cholecystitis and biliary colic.

Is biliary colic essentially like an early stage of acute cholecystitis before the gallbladder gets infected? Seems like the only difference is that there's infection and pressure buildup is higher (leading to ischmemia).

Edit: or does biliary colic not have complete obstruction vs acute having 100% blockage

Members don't see this ad :)

Is biliary colic essentially like an early stage of acute cholecystitis before the gallbladder gets infected? Seems like the only difference is that there's infection and pressure buildup is higher (leading to ischmemia).

Edit: or does biliary colic not have complete obstruction vs acute having 100% blockage
I think the main thing to look out for with biliary colic is it's episodic nature with fatty foods. The gall bladder isn't inflamed at that point.

When you have constant pain, and localizing signs and inflammation=cholecystis

I think the main thing to look out for with biliary colic is it's episodic nature with fatty foods. The gall bladder isn't inflamed at that point.

When you have constant pain, and localizing signs and inflammation=cholecystis
Thanks. I never could put two and two together. I appreciate it!

Content review in the mornings followed by 2 timed u-world blocks with full review in the afternoon/evening. For content review I did a systems chapter of first aid per day until that was done did 3 Pathoma chapters a day until that was done. I sprinkled in pharm and micro when relevant. Now I'm going to start all over again but from the beginning of FA.

I truly envy you people who can do this much in a day!

I got a real simple fix for that. You can purchase it at your local drug store. Goes by ethanol or Cuervo? Not too sure. Ya, shortly after the only step 1 you'll be worrying about is the one step in front of you

Ha I wish, I'm on rotations now, which makes it worse since studying is impossible

I despise that question.

But I did have a few anatomy questions that weren't in FA/UW. I def learned them first year so hopefully I remembered correctly.

Was it QID 838?

What's with the line above the inguinal ligament, please?

Sorry for bringing this up again.

Acute cholecystitis will present with fever, Leukocytosis, positive murphy's sign. Surgical emergency because the stone is obstructing outflow. Biliary cholic: no fever , just episodic pain after fatty meal.

Was it QID 838?

What's with the line above the inguinal ligament, please?

Sorry for bringing this up again.

I think they are talking about the question of where to insert the femoral cath. It asked about a retroperitoneal bleed or something like that.

I got it wrong. :(

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Did your permit disappear or whatever?
Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active.

that's the message that shows up when i click on print permit. what does that mean?

Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active.

that's the message that shows up when i click on print permit. what does that mean?
From my understanding that means your score will show up tomorrow, and it gives me hope that the delay is not happening yet.

From my understanding that means your score will show up tomorrow, and it gives me hope that the delay is not happening yet.

Unfortunately that is not what this means. It simply means that you've taken your test. If the actual print permit button itself had disappeared, that would indicate your test is coming Wednesday. But since you have that button to click on, it doesn't mean anything.

I looked through the 2016 step 1 thread, and they had a very similar score delay as we are having. Literally everybody got their score on the target date given by the nbme (nobody got theirs early), and since so many people were trying to access their score reports at the same time, the server crashed and it took most people >1.5 hours of reloading and refreshing the page to finally see their score report.

Unfortunately it seems like we are in for the same experience this year. This wait really sucks.

Last edited:
Unfortunately that is not what this means. It simply means that you've taken your test. If the actual score permit button itself had disappeared, that would indicate your test is coming Wednesday. But since you have that button to click on, it doesn't mean anything.

when does the "print permit" button would disappear if the results coming up that Wednesday?

Unfortunately that is not what this means. It simply means that you've taken your test. If the actual print permit button itself had disappeared, that would indicate your test is coming Wednesday. But since you have that button to click on, it doesn't mean anything.
Yeah I realize now that mine brings up that message, I had never clicked it before.

when does the "print permit" button would disappear if the results coming up that Wednesday?
With you being 4/27, I'm not optimistic that it's going to go away until the week of 6/28. Because the people from 4/24 and 4/25 got their scores last week, so yours would be due tomorrow.

I looked through the 2016 step 1 thread, and they had a very similar score delay as we are having. Literally everybody got their score on the target date given by the nbme (nobody got theirs early), and since so many people were trying to access their score reports at the same time, the server crashed and it took most people >1.5 hours of reloading and refreshing the page to finally see their score report.

Unfortunately it seems like we are in for the same experience this year. This wait really sucks.
Yeah I read that too but was tentatively optimistic due to the first two days of the period getting their scores.

Yeah I read that too but was tentatively optimistic due to the first two days of the period getting their scores.
Yeah I was optimistic too. I think some people took their test before their prometric center had received the updated test, or something along those lines. Since they didn't take the updated test, their scores weren't subject to the delay.

How long does it take most of you to get your exam permit after paying the free online? I have an application on file from a previous application that expired. Was playing it safe this time and didn't want to register until I passed 3 NBMEs. Might have shot myself in the foot because was trying to take the exam on June 1st/2nd. Just submitted the application today and heard it can take as long as 3 weeks! :( Anyone have experience with them processing it earlier?

How long does it take most of you to get your exam permit after paying the free online? I have an application on file from a previous application that expired. Was playing it safe this time and didn't want to register until I passed 3 NBMEs. Might have shot myself in the foot because was trying to take the exam on June 1st/2nd. Just submitted the application today and heard it can take as long as 3 weeks! :( Anyone have experience with them processing it earlier?
I didn't track it too closely because I was early, but I think it was 10 days or so. Not three weeks.

Yes, I applied on a Monday and got my permit on Friday. Literally 5th business day!
But this was a couple of months ago. I am not sure if business vary from season to season since it's peak season now for AMGs. Also to clarify, I am through ECFMG.

Yes, I applied on a Monday and got my permit on Friday. Literally 5th business day!
But this was a couple of months ago. I am not sure if business vary from season to season since it's peak season now for AMGs. Also to clarify, I am through ECFMG.

Oh okay. I really hope so. I am an IMG also. Really hope I have a similar processing time.

Hey guys, I was wondering what the general consensus is, regarding NBME 16's curve and it's difficulty level ?
Sorry for bringing it up if it's been discussed earlier.

Hey guys, I was wondering what the general consensus is, regarding NBME 16's curve and it's difficulty level ?
Sorry for bringing it up if it's been discussed earlier.

It's fairly straightforward. NBME 17 and 19 have harsher curves.

Hi did you have to fill out form 183 again?

Taking my exam in 2 weeks, took NBME 18 already and got a 213 last week. Which NBME should i take on Monday?? I don't want to take one that really underestimates my score, or really overestimates. Thanks!

Taking my exam in 2 weeks, took NBME 18 already and got a 213 last week. Which NBME should i take on Monday?? I don't want to take one that really underestimates my score, or really overestimates. Thanks!
avoid 19 everyone says 16s good. UWSA 2 if you wanna go in with confidence