USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
What do you mean not in sketchy? Organisms that weren't in sketchy or presentations/pathology that sketchy missed? Same thing for drugs, where there drugs that weren't in FA?
Yeah i had the same situation as you. Micro not in sketchy or first aid. I think they were experimentals. However my pharm was easy. With psych the only question i had a problem was with one that u had to say if it was somatisation or conversion and i guessed it and still to this day i dont know.

I've been following this thread for awhile and thought I'd contribute. I took Step today and am not really sure what to think. I don't think it was my best performance, but I've read people do better than they think. I went into today hoping to do well and now that everything is starting to sink in I just hope I passed. Like pathologist said; it's unnerving to feel that way. I had 6 blocks of 40 and 1 block of 32. Those last 32 were by far the most challenging. The stems weren't crazy long, but I just had no idea what they wanted. My exam had a ton of hard micro (not in sketchy), some easy and some hard pharm that is definitely not in sketchy, and biochem and genetics. Psych was weird just like Joanna said. I used Pathoma, FA, and UW. NBME 15 got 221, NBME 17 got 213, NBME 19 got 240. NBME's 15 and 17 should have been higher - just made too many careless mistakes. Congrats to everyone that finished today.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by some pharm and micro not being in sketchy? I don't use Sketchy I used Kaplan (videos plus the actual lecture notes) as well as First Aid (plus UW).

I hate to say it but I feel like I did badly. I hear a lot people feel like that walking out, but it's unnerving to feel that way.
me too.. Came home and checked 4 and all of them wrong so stopped checking. lol. i feel horrible.. way too tough than nbmes.. But now its done. Lets hope for the best.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean not in sketchy

Exactly that - not covered in sketchy - or FA. Probably was experimental.

presentations/pathology that sketchy missed?

This frustrated me. I knew the bug but couldn't make the association they wanted. It is covered in some source but not the ones I used (UW,FA,Sketchy,Pathoma and a couple other random sources). It usually wasn't too hard to figure out what bug the Q was going for. I actually really like sketchy and definitely got questions right because of it. I don't remember how many questions were like this but it was probably less than 10 - just enough to get your attention.

Same thing for drugs, where there drugs that weren't in FA?

Yes, but this was not as common as micro.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by some pharm and micro not being in sketchy? I don't use Sketchy I used Kaplan (videos plus the actual lecture notes) as well as First Aid (plus UW).

Bug and drug not in FA or sketchy. This didn't happen all that many times - just enough for me to remember it.

I notice that much more people are saying that they get many vague questions. I started thinking about to add kaplan q bank to my prep because people were stating that kaplan contains many wierd and vague questions "not like uworld questions or nbme style". Maybe kaplan can give us a feeling of that vogue questions ...????

Did u feel different vs when taking nbmes? Because i felt horrible va nbmes feeling great coming out of them. Had to guess the lst 3 in some blocks. My score comes back next week so lest see what happens

Yes, it felt way different than NBMEs. Some of the same style questions but way more vague/difficult. For NBMEs I was confident on way more answers. My step was much murkier and very few gimme-type questions. Of course my view is subjective and maybe some people would have found the same form easier, but it was harder than I expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
me too.. Came home and checked 4 and all of them wrong so stopped checking. lol. i feel horrible.. way too tough than nbmes.. But now its done. Lets hope for the best.

Yeah after getting a good night's sleep I feel better. Still have no idea where I stand as far as my score. I'm just trying to remember a harder form will still be scaled appropriately, and I'm hoping to stay in line with my recent NBMEs. Let's enjoy being done!

I also think that the NBME practice exams have brutal scoring curves. From what I've seen/heard from folks that have taken it this year, the curve on the real deal is a bit more forgiving because of the nature of the questions.

Re: bugs not being on sketchy etc... yeah. Heard that too. It kinda sucks that the NBME is doing that because a good resource exists because the lowest of the low yield bugs aren't even really taught in most schools. At times, I think they're just trying to see if you can go with an answer you're unsure about because nothing else seems to fit.

I also think that the NBME practice exams have brutal scoring curves. From what I've seen/heard from folks that have taken it this year, the curve on the real deal is a bit more forgiving because of the nature of the questions.

Re: bugs not being on sketchy etc... yeah. Heard that too. It kinda sucks that the NBME is doing that because a good resource exists because the lowest of the low yield bugs aren't even really taught in most schools. At times, I think they're just trying to see if you can go with an answer you're unsure about because nothing else seems to fit.

On my exam micro was straightforward. One qs about the rash, clearly caused by a pathogen, I had no idea how to answer. Also, they didn't just say: what caused it? They asked about the histology of lesion, something like NBME 19 and syphilis.

Anyway, there were a lot of gimme questions (and I happened to get a few of them wrong cause I'm stupid lol) but also a lot of very weird ones. Nothing you haven't seen before but convoluted and asked in a weird way.

I already remember 15 mistakes...

I hope the curve will be a little more forgiving than the one on NBME 19.

I'm trying to suppress it and just wait for the score :p

Reactions: 2 users
At times, I think they're just trying to see if you can go with an answer you're unsure about because nothing else seems to fit.

This. I had a multi system path question where the stem described a fundamental pathology and asked what caused it. The answer choices were other pathologies from other systems. I tried to reason through each one and ended up selecting an answer for a completely basic reason that almost seems stupid, but I couldn't get anything else to fit.

I hope the curve will be a little more forgiving than the one on NBME 19.

It is probably version dependent, but for most it has to be more forgiving. My NBME 19 was 181/200 or 90.5%. I had 272 questions on the real deal. Same percentage applied would be 246/272 or 26 wrong. I flagged 13 out of my last 32 and that didn't include ones I had no idea about and just flat out guessed. I'm sure there are people who can miss 26 or fewer on my test version, but they would be rare and probably score much higher than a 240. Of course I could be completely wrong...

I'm sure we all did fine. Enjoy your time off.

When's the best time to take NBME 19? Few days before or couple weeks before the real deal

I would save it until the end of study time. I took it about 1 week before and didn't think it was too bad. The curve is just rough compared to other NBMEs. It really has a good number of straight forward questions. It also has a few concepts that were more challenging that required you to use what you know and think through the problem. I actually had an identical question on the real exam from NBME 19. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would save it until the end of study time. I took it about 1 week before and didn't think it was too bad. The curve is just rough compared to other NBMEs. It really has a good number of straight forward questions. It also has a few concepts that were more challenging that required you to use what you know and think through the problem. I actually had an identical question on the real exam from NBME 19. Good luck!
I would do nbme 19 before and do nbme 18 last or uworld assesment #2. Because u are just going to get sad when u see the score of nbme 19 bc the curve is brutal and alao i didnt find it at all similar to my exam. The style is similar to uworld so maybe doing uworld assesment 2 is better for the end but obviously do nbme 19. Do it like a week or two before. I mean that was just me. Bc i did nbme 19 the last week which totally regret.

At what year can I write USMLE Step 1, I understand that it is in three steps.

You must study a lot, once you feel as though you have mastered the knowledge in the book "First Aid USMLE step 1" then you can begin thinking about when to schedule your exam.

2. What are the required resources?

First Aid step 1, this will be your bible. Pathoma videos and Uworld Qbank (only do this Qbank after you feel like you are ready, maybe 3 months before exam).

Useful website that has lots of free videos to begin your knowledge: MedicalTube - Free USMLE Videos Sharing site

3. I understand I'm a newbie as a medical student and there many things I need to know, what are they? (I'm receptive to learning).

Many things, once you have a question, google it yourself and find out.

4. In terms of expenses, how much will cover USMLE, resources, application, e.t.c.?

You can google this.

5. Is the exam online or will require coming to states?

You can google this.

6. What's the stipulated period of time one can start preparing?
Wth?

Officially scheduled for Step 1 y'all! June 7th it is... here we go! 6.5 weeks to glory!!!! Gonna do UW 2x, RX 1x, Kaplan 1x. Supplement knowledge gaps with physeo/Goljian and biochem/immuno with FA. Gonna do a Antony with DIT. Micro/Pharm with sketchy. What do y'all think?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Not trying to be that obnoxious person I've always despised on this site but here goes.

Our school gave us the CBSE last friday and I got a 95 (260+) and I took NBME 19 today and scored a 257.

Current exam date is May 25th. Wondering if I should move my exam up? Don't really feel like I have much more I could have gained on NBME 19 and felt like I knew just about all the questions with very little guessing. Don't want to study for another month and potentially burn out.

Any advice SDN?

Not trying to be that obnoxious person I've always despised on this site but here goes.

Our school gave us the CBSE last friday and I got a 95 (260+) and I took NBME 19 today and scored a 257.

Current exam date is May 25th. Wondering if I should move my exam up? Don't really feel like I have much more I could have gained on NBME 19 and felt like I knew just about all the questions with very little guessing. Don't want to study for another month and potentially burn out.

Any advice SDN?

Uhhh... I feel dumb.

But ya, you should definitely move it up. Like tomorrow.

Reactions: 3 users
Officially scheduled for Step 1 y'all! June 7th it is... here we go! 6.5 weeks to glory!!!! Gonna do UW 2x, RX 1x, Kaplan 1x. Supplement knowledge gaps with physeo/Goljian and biochem/immuno with FA. Gonna do a Antony with DIT. Micro/Pharm with sketchy. What do y'all think?
I think there's no way you will be able to fit all of that into 1.5 months, and actually be learning what you need to be learning. I think you should just focus on doing UW and learning it as well as you can, supplementing with the other review resources. Rx and Kaplan are good qbanks but I would not spend a second on them if it's going to take away from doing uworld. Plus you are wayyyyy underestimating how much time it takes to get through uworld.

Reactions: 4 users
I need advice!!
This is my first time making a comment on sdn(I have been snooping around for a while).
I took Nbme 2017 and scored a 240. I have read FA twice, U world twice,Usmle RX once, Kaplan once ,pathoma once and goljan audio once.
I am about 5 months away from my step 1 exam.
I heard a lot of good things about FC so I got a subscription for 6 months.
I am currently doing just d dedicated FC and pathoma (again) daily. I still plan to fit in one pass of Usmle RX and U world b/4 my exam.
Do u think doing FC is d best use of my time?
My goal is 265+

Any advice SDN?
Depends how you're feeling about studying longer. You could study for a couple more days and take another NBME and see how you do and then decide what you want to do. If you're feeling burnt out or something then it might be best to move it closer.

Depends how you're feeling about studying longer. You could study for a couple more days and take another NBME and see how you do and then decide what you want to do. If you're feeling burnt out or something then it might be best to move it closer.
That sounds like a good idea. Does anybody really want to study more than they have to?

Mostly trying to gage how close to the real deal NBME 19 is. Sounds like it under predicts a little bit from what people on here have said.

I hate to say it but I feel like I did badly. I hear a lot people feel like that walking out, but it's unnerving to feel that way.

A friend of mine told me she broke down and cried after she left her exam. I felt so badly for her when she told me. She said she called her brother from her car and cried on the phone with him while he was in India. We are in the USA.

Her score? 260

i wanted to slap her...in a good way. i was thrilled for her. True humility in that woman. She will be an amazing physician.

For those who count their "silly" mistakes afterwards, how sure are you that you mistakenly chosen an answer over the other? Maybe during the exam there was a detail that you aren't recalling that compelled you to choose your answer over another.

I understand that the real exam is more stressful, but it's a bit odd when every single person makes 10-20 "silly" mistakes on the real deal but so little on the practice NBME. Especially since you're probably more careful on the real thing?

For those who count their "silly" mistakes afterwards, how sure are you that you mistakenly chosen an answer over the other? Maybe during the exam there was a detail that you aren't recalling that compelled you to choose your answer over another.

I understand that the real exam is more stressful, but it's a bit odd when every single person makes 10-20 "silly" mistakes on the real deal but so little on the practice NBME. Especially since you're probably more careful on the real thing?
I think there's a difference between reading the question correctly, picking the correct answer, then sporadically changing to an answer you can't defend on ~5 questions versus claiming "I KNEW THAT!" for 10-20 questions you thought about and picked straight up but claim you knew because the right answer was one of the three you were between. Both are bad, but I think the former is more of a mental lapse than the latter, especially when the former occurs when you're a bit fatigued. Either way, you picked the wrong answer, and that's what matters on test day.

ImageUploadedBySDN1492824936.481226.jpg

Can someone give me some advice here? I'm really frustrated with this. Granted I have 1500 or so unseen... but still.

I think you're grossly overestimating how long things take. You should have a system for UWorld. At the minimum, a 40 question block will take you 1-1.5 hours to review in the beginning. You should be reading through EVERY answer choice for EVERY question, including the ones you got right, because they're all going to teach you something. Someone on here wrote that UWorld is best described as a 2500 page textbook. This is bloody accurate.

The only reason I'd do FA (which I'm now on the fence about when I was gung ho about it earlier) is to read a section of FA and then do some questions from RX to see if I understood things correctly. I want to use UWorld for random timed sets only. No cherry picking sections!

You're legitimately trying to take more than 1 NBME exam every day. There just isn't enough time for that. I suggest starting with UWorld as @FindMeOnTheLinks recommended and evaluate from there. You're likely going to want to do some content review as well, whether you're watching pathoma/sketchy/etc or reading FA.

Any advice SDN?

How happy would you be with any score over 230? If I was you, I'd take the next week and do 2 more NBME exams. If the first one is in line with your performance, set a date 1-2 weeks away. Take the second exam 3-5 days before your exam and do UWorld in the interim to keep yourself going. There's honestly no reason for you to keep studying if you're scoring in your target range. Use the extra time off to go do something awesome before you start third year. I have a classmate that was right in their target range in the weeks leading up to our dedicated. They took the exam right after dedicated started and vanished for the rest of our 'study' time.

Seriously.

Also, good job! Your efforts throughout the year are paying off!

I think there's no way you will be able to fit all of that into 1.5 months, and actually be learning what you need to be learning. I think you should just focus on doing UW and learning it as well as you can, supplementing with the other review resources. Rx and Kaplan are good qbanks but I would not spend a second on them if it's going to take away from doing uworld. Plus you are wayyyyy underestimating how much time it takes to get through uworld.

Ya, I'm revising my strategy lol! UW is kicking my ass. I'm consistently at 50% idk how to drive it up

View attachment 218008

Can someone give me some advice here? I'm really frustrated with this. Granted I have 1500 or so unseen... but still.

How are you reviewing the questions? What other review are you doing on the side? You said you're getting tutored right? Work through question sets with your tutor untimed. Talk through your rational for picking an answer choice and then pick that answer choice (so your %'s stay honest) and then have them walk you through the process of how they would answer the question. IMHO, this is the way in which you can best understand where your thinking is off or where you're second guessing yourself.

I'm not too far off from you tbh. I started at 50 and I'm slowly starting to go up (mid 50's right now 20% through UWorld).

How are you reviewing the questions? What other review are you doing on the side? You said you're getting tutored right? Work through question sets with your tutor untimed. Talk through your rational for picking an answer choice and then pick that answer choice (so your %'s stay honest) and then have them walk you through the process of how they would answer the question. IMHO, this is the way in which you can best understand where your thinking is off or where you're second guessing yourself.

I'm not too far off from you tbh. I started at 50 and I'm slowly starting to go up (mid 50's right now 20% through UWorld).

I don't think I was reviewing them right. I think I'm gonna start really spending time on each question. So time consuming tho. I'm reviewing with FA and Goljian right now. Gonna do some physeo tho.

I don't think I was reviewing them right. I think I'm gonna start really spending time on each question. So time consuming tho. I'm reviewing with FA and Goljian right now. Gonna do some physeo tho.

UWorld isn't hailed as the best qbank because it has the best questions. It's hailed as the best qbank because it is goddamn thorough in its explanations. You should be logging your mistakes and reviewing them. I enter all of mine into an anki deck. I'll go back to the cards after I log out of UWorld and go look up pictures/slides/charts/etc to add into the anki cards because you can't pull stuff out from UWorld and it won't let you copy paste during a session.

I'm right where you are, so I can say this. But 50's in UWorld implies fuzzy knowledge re:content. I.e. you know a solid amount, but you don't know the details that help you tell the little things apart. Reading FA is good, but it's passive learning. I think anki is a much better way to go about doing things.

I'd honestly suggest going back through your old questions and re-reviewing them and making cards from them. Drop down the number of new questions you're doing so you can do that. It's legitimately where UWorld makes a difference.

Ok, I need to ask you a question lol
It's been bugging me all day.
Does Hb become less cooperative in beta thalassemia? I know there is an increased affinity to oxygen but what about the cooperativity? There is a change in Hb but enough to change cooperative binding of oxygen?

Does Hb become less cooperative in beta thalassemia? I know there is an increased affinity to oxygen but what about the cooperativity? There is a change in Hb but enough to change cooperative binding of oxygen?

I don't think that changes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the coopertivity is a function of O2 and it's ability bind following the initial binding of O2

Beta thal is a production defect, i.e. you make less Hb. It has nothing to do with the functional status of said Hb. The issue is that you can't make enough, not that you can't make the correct thing. In Alpha thal you have issues of function since you are just making crap hemoglobin that would rather fart around in clumps than do anything helpful like the assh0le friend that watches you carry everything up the stairs in 4 trips and then asks you if you need help when they know you're done.

Since you produce fetal hemoglobin in beta thal, one could make the argument that some of the hemoglobin might be better at binding oxygen than run of the mill Hb. I'm not sure about the functional status of HbA2... But that's more like the awkward third wheel that just happens to tag around because they have nothing better to do. Atleast they're somewhat useful unlike the lazy ass friend above.

Beta thal is a production defect, i.e. you make less Hb. It has nothing to do with the functional status of said Hb. The issue is that you can't make enough, not that you can't make the correct thing. In Alpha thal you have issues of function since you are just making crap hemoglobin that would rather fart around in clumps than do anything helpful like the assh0le friend that watches you carry everything up the stairs in 4 trips and then asks you if you need help when they know you're done.

Since you produce fetal hemoglobin in beta thal, one could make the argument that some of the hemoglobin might be better at binding oxygen than run of the mill Hb. I'm not sure about the functional status of HbA2... But that's more like the awkward third wheel that just happens to tag around because they have nothing better to do. Atleast they're somewhat useful unlike the lazy ass friend above.

LOL thanks guys!!! haha :) I love this explanation :p

I had the same question that you did. I'm pretty sure I got this wrong.

I understand your question, and I wish I could explain the strange phenomenon of making "silly" mistakes. The reality is that some people just have a tendency (like me for example) to do so. I think the reason is that as someone posted above, exam day is mentally exhausting and sometimes you forget a simple fact that you thought you had memorized pretty well. For example, (very simple example, I wish I could post one from exam day but that is illegal) difference between Hunter vs Hurler (forget the fact that there is an easy
mnemonic in FA)... or another one- forgetting for the 1 minute you have to answer a question which tumor tumor is associated with what ?(fill in example)!! It might seem stupid to you right now, because when you are working on uworld or something in the comfort of your own home, you probably won't make such a mistake. I can't promise anyone they won't make a silly error like that.. there has to be something that separates the 250+ people from others right?

On exam day, I was trying to finish a block as quick as possible to make sure I finish on time and hopefully with a few minutes left over to go over some more difficult questions. What I believe happened was that I was flying through some questions that I thought were "easy" and then I realized I answered wrong because I didn't stop to think and make sure AM I SURE THIS IS THE CORRECT ANSWER?! On other questions I thought about them more and probably had more time to make sure I was ok with my answer choice. Sometimes there were a few questions that I was stuck on between 2 answer choices (there were very few, I was expecting much more on step 1 actually). I felt like most questions were "you either know it or you don't" type of thing actually.

I took the exam yesterday and feel like i was failed. Many new concepts are tested, 50% questions were like vague. I got the Hb questions also. Comparing with the experience of last month taker, i think that this month ques are pretty difficult.

I understand your question, and I wish I could explain the strange phenomenon of making "silly" mistakes. The reality is that some people just have a tendency (like me for example) to do so. I think the reason is that as someone posted above, exam day is mentally exhausting and sometimes you forget a simple fact that you thought you had memorized pretty well. For example, (very simple example, I wish I could post one from exam day but that is illegal) difference between Hunter vs Hurler (forget the fact that there is an easy
mnemonic in FA)... or another one- forgetting for the 1 minute you have to answer a question which tumor tumor is associated with what ?(fill in example)!! It might seem stupid to you right now, because when you are working on uworld or something in the comfort of your own home, you probably won't make such a mistake. I can't promise anyone they won't make a silly error like that.. there has to be something that separates the 250+ people from others right?

On exam day, I was trying to finish a block as quick as possible to make sure I finish on time and hopefully with a few minutes left over to go over some more difficult questions. What I believe happened was that I was flying through some questions that I thought were "easy" and then I realized I answered wrong because I didn't stop to think and make sure AM I SURE THIS IS THE CORRECT ANSWER?! On other questions I thought about them more and probably had more time to make sure I was ok with my answer choice. Sometimes there were a few questions that I was stuck on between 2 answer choices (there were very few, I was expecting much more on step 1 actually). I felt like most questions were "you either know it or you don't" type of thing actually.

How long did it take to get your score back?

I took the exam yesterday and feel like i was failed. Many new concepts are tested, 50% questions were like vague. I got the Hb questions also. Comparing with the experience of last month taker, i think that this month ques are pretty difficult.

I agree.
The exam was VERY VAGUE.

I had a decent number of questions with 2 answers possible but it was mainly ethics and psych.

I'm also terrified that I flew through questions too fast not giving them enough credit and missed something easy that I knew.

It's been a few days and I'm already freaking out. Yay!

Last edited:
IMHO, the key to not making stupid mistakes is to take a split second to breathe after every question so you start fresh and aren't still thinking over the previous ones. I'm really bad at this too sometimes and I've been trying to read the last sentence of the question first to make sure I know exactly what it's asking. If there's a super long stem I tend to start rushing when I read it... If you rush over the end, you're going to answer the wrong question, especially if it's asking you one of those 'similar mechanism/pathology' kind of questions.

Folks what do you think about kaplan bank regarding vierd and vogue questions? I heared a lot that kaplan has many low yield questions with style being way different than uworld and nbme, maybe doing kaplan will get us closer to the real deal? If the quantity of people stating that they get many vogue questions will keep rising I will think about doing kaplan bank. I am curious how can we get more prepared for the vogueness. I am thinking about doing the kaplan after mastering ufap, only after being really sure and comfortable with ufap. Maybe I am wrong about the kaplan and it will not get me anywhere regarding the solving process of vogue quesitions. Any opinions?

Hey everyone,

Test tomorrow morning, and I'm completely freaking out. I've been hardcore studying all day trying to cram in last bits of info. (Yes I know this isn't good). Any tips, advice, words of wisdom ahead of tomorrow? I feel like I'm on course for an all nighter, and definitely do not want that.

Hey everyone,

Test tomorrow morning, and I'm completely freaking out. I've been hardcore studying all day trying to cram in last bits of info. (Yes I know this isn't good). Any tips, advice, words of wisdom ahead of tomorrow? I feel like I'm on course for an all nighter, and definitely do not want that.
Relax. Just gave mine past Thursday.. Felt horrible the day before and its totally normal. You already have worked a lot by now. So calm down. Sleep enough so that your mind can function well in exam. Good Luck.!

Can someone shed some light on this?

USMLE SCORE CORRELATION

Potentially those who have already taken and received their score and know their first time pass? Also, if I do only the wrong answer questions, and get them right, my correct percentage is adjusted. My question is, should I use the percentage prior to doing the wrong questions? Thanks!

So I was wondering. I've heard people say that the permit should disappear a few days before the results come in. I receive my results this Wednesday but I see the permit there. I don't know if I should be worried or thats normal? lol sorry for asking, i don't know a lot about this.

Hey,
Can anyone speak on the test day experience.
as far as breaks, noise, longevity... I know some of this may vary due to different test taking center policies and different test takers but just want to see what peoples general input is
thank you