USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
Good morning. I'm new here. I hail from Nigeria and studying medicine here too. I do have a lot of question, but will be happy to ask them in bit and answered in bit. My major concern is USMLE. I do love to write the exam. Let me start by highlighting somethings about the educational system here. It is a little bit different. After 6 years of Primary education, 6 years of secondary education. For medical study, another 6 years will be required. I just finished one year of of the 6 years I'm to spend where I did basic science courses like Chemistry, Physics, Zoology, Botany, e.t.c. I said that because I'm new to Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry. I've started reading the required texts. My questions in bit goes thus:- 1. At what year can I write USMLE Step 1, I understand that it is in three steps. 2. What are the required resources? 3. I understand I'm a newbie as a medical student and there many things I need to know, what are they? (I'm receptive to learning). 4. In terms of expenses, how much will cover USMLE, resources, application, e.t.c.? 5. Is the exam online or will require coming to states? 6. What's the stipulated period of time one can start preparing? Thanks, in anticipation, as I await your swift response at your earliest convenience.
Hi, am also a Nigerian but schooling in the US and just took the step 1. You can send a msg into my inbox and will be happy to give you some advice.

Reactions: 1 users
Ding ding ding ding ding.

@567WingsO'Heaven good job on the CBSE. Do you start dedicated now? What's your estimated test date?

Thank you! Yup, dedicated is official as of this week. I have till June but my intent is to accelerate my studying and take it by the end of may. I just got a tutor to help with question interpretation since that seemed to affect me on the CBSE. Also the tutor got a 275 on step 1 lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
NBME 13: 232 (jan 28)
NBME 16: 248 (feb 5)
NBME 15: 242 (feb 20)
NBME 18: 242 (march 4)
NBME 17: 250 (march 12)
NBME 19: 238 (march 19)
Uworld first pass: 81
second pass: 91

USMLE: 257!

The exam felt completely different from the NBMEs. None of the my exams really felt like the real deal. I did pathoma, first aid, kaplan (anatomy), becker (biochem & Epi), sketchy (micro). Idk if this is legit advice but I read a couple of medical related books for fun during my last 2 weeks at night just to remind myself why I'm doing this and it really motivated me to go into the exam with a good vibes. Feel free to PM me for any questions.

Reactions: 7 users
Could use some encouragement.. I'm tripping balls right now. Got over half of UW to do. 5 systems to complete. Next week is my last week before my two weeks of finals. Then I get two weeks of dedicated. Yes.. two weeks. I'm kinda freaking out. I feel like I haven't gone thru thoroughly. Boards and beyond is draining my days away in taking notes. I feel like I need to rewatch and just focus. Any advice? Planning on spending 4 days during finals running thru pathoma as my last review of pathology. 4 other days on nothing but pharm. is there hope for a 240 with my baseline at a 196 approx 4 weeks ago? Stress has made me feel like I've forgotten everything.

Hi guys, hope I can ask a study question here.
I'm one week away from my 8 weeks of dedicated study, but I'm not sure how to approach it.

1) I have about 1000 Uworld questions left, but after getting absolutely nailed on my first block of Cardio questions (ended up getting a 20/40), I'm wondering if I should spend this last week before dedicated just really knowing First Aid? (my initial plan was doing a block of questions a day, but my knowledge is obviously lacking after that score).

2) Similar to a poster above, should I reset my Uworld right at the start of dedicated? And how did you guys approach doing questions in dedicated. Should I always be doing random blocks right from Day 1, instead of by systems?

Could use some encouragement.. I'm tripping balls right now. Got over half of UW to do. 5 systems to complete. Next week is my last week before my two weeks of finals. Then I get two weeks of dedicated. Yes.. two weeks. I'm kinda freaking out. I feel like I haven't gone thru thoroughly. Boards and beyond is draining my days away in taking notes. I feel like I need to rewatch and just focus. Any advice? Planning on spending 4 days during finals running thru pathoma as my last review of pathology. 4 other days on nothing but pharm. is there hope for a 240 with my baseline at a 196 approx 4 weeks ago? Stress has made me feel like I've forgotten everything.
I think you can do it but its

4 weeks ago you got a 196, why dont you take an online NBME now and see where your at? in 4 weeks people usually increase anywhere from 0-40 points so you cant go by baseline anymore.

its gonna tell you what to work on
its gonna tell you how much you increased in 4 weeks
its gonna tell you if your studying has been effective or if you need to work on some basic fundamentals.

Thank you! Yup, dedicated is official as of this week. I have till June but my intent is to accelerate my studying and take it by the end of may. I just got a tutor to help with question interpretation since that seemed to affect me on the CBSE. Also the tutor got a 275 on step 1 lol

Good luck!

I got a 175 on my CBSE back in feb and a 184 on a baseline CBSSA. I'm taking my next one this weekend. I'm in a similar boat as you and I'm planning on taking it in late may/early June. I had some health issues so I had to extend my dedicated, so the test this weekend is going to be a true litmus test of how things have been going so far since I've just started getting into UWorld. Have you started that yet? Looks like we're on the same schedule! Lets git 'em!

Good luck!

I got a 175 on my CBSE back in feb and a 184 on a baseline CBSSA. I'm taking my next one this weekend. I'm in a similar boat as you and I'm planning on taking it in late may/early June. I had some health issues so I had to extend my dedicated, so the test this weekend is going to be a true litmus test of how things have been going so far since I've just started getting into UWorld. Have you started that yet? Looks like we're on the same schedule! Lets git 'em!

I'm like 20% through UW with a 52% average. However my tutor just gave me some advice. He said stop timing yourself. Do them on untimed and keep track of the time. He said the biggest thing with UW is to make sure you can think clinically and then from there the timing can be modified after clinical thinking has been mastered

Reactions: 2 users
I'm like 20% through UW with a 52% average. However my tutor just gave me some advice. He said stop timing yourself. Do them on untimed and keep track of the time. He said the biggest thing with UW is to make sure you can think clinically and then from there the timing can be modified after clinical thinking has been mastered

I think he is right. I focused so much in timing which i wish i wouldve started with learning how to think fast for the questions by coinical thinking and then modify the timing. I coupdnt answer any block completely in the real deal vs nbmes which i had extra time.

I'm pretty much exactly where you are as well lol. About 20% through with a mid 50's average.

I got my first 80% on a timed 20 question set last night (had a 64 average), so that was awesome. I started working with a tutor through my school as well. He's a classmate of mine and we're working through approaching questions and prep. I've been resisting some more active study methods, but working with him threw me over the edge a bit. It's going to be a LOT more time consuming re:reviewing, but I think it should pay off if I can stick to the hours and keep the mental fortitude to power through it.

He also finishes sections like 20 minutes early, so it should be a good learning experience to work with him. I always struggle with time because I get stuck trying to figure things out and have a hard time breaking away from them. I'm trying to work on putting a best answer down and finishing a set so I can come back to a couple of questions that I've flagged.

Woo!

Ya, I think anyone who did better than you is a good resource to help you break through those barriers you kno? Cost me a pretty penny tho! Hopefully I don't have to use him often

Hi guys!

I took the exam on April 18th and it took me a day to decompress :p

Anyway, I slept 4 hours before the test but I think I was fine anyway.
The test seemed fair at first and after 3 blocks I was kinda scared that I was doing something wrong cause I was going through questions pretty fast. There were questions I was not sure AT ALL, I just didn't dwell on them.

I got 7 blocks/40 questions each.

The test was fair but it had a fair number of weird questions. There was nothing I hadn't read before the test but some of the cases were very vague. Like, I could easily pick 2 answers and I had to decide which one was the most probable.
I got a lot of molecular, oncogenes, receptors etc. Also, psychiatry was weird. Got 3 cases that I really didn't know what was going on.
For example (it was not my question, I'm making it up to show you guys): lady gave birth. She's depressed and has a flat affect. What's going on? there was no postpartum depression, blues, anything.
You could match sth but nothing really felt right. It wasn't my question but I'm just trying to show you what I mean.

I remembered 230 questions, wrote them down like a maniac and already found 15 mistakes :( Plus 20 or something I have no clue what I answered or if my answer was correct (there is no way I can check it).

I felt good coming out. Like, good. Now, I'm starting to freak out :(

I don't know how many questions you can get wrong and still do okay and I guess, I will have to wait...

Ask me anything! :)

I think he is right. I focused so much in timing which i wish i wouldve started with learning how to think fast for the questions by coinical thinking and then modify the timing. I coupdnt answer any block completely in the real deal vs nbmes which i had extra time.
But it had to do more with my clinical thinking applyingn my
Hi guys!

The test seemed fair at first and after 3 blocks I was kinda scared that I was doing something wrong cause I was going through questions pretty fast. There were questions I was not sure AT ALL, I just didn't dwell on them.

The test was fair but it had a fair number of weird questions. There was nothing I hadn't read before the test but some of the cases were very vague. Like, I could easily pick 2 answers and I had to decide which one was the most probable.
I got a lot of molecular, oncogenes, receptors etc. Also, psychiatry was weird. Got 3 cases that I really didn't know what was going on.
For example (it was not my question, I'm making it up to show you guys): lady gave birth. She's depressed and has a flat affect. What's going on? there was no postpartum depression, blues, anything.
You could match sth but nothing really felt right. It wasn't my question but I'm just trying to show you what I mean.

I remembered 230 questions, wrote them down like a maniac and already found 15 mistakes :( Plus 20 or something I have no clue what I answered or if my answer was correct (there is no way I can check it).

I don't know how many questions you can get wrong and still do okay and I guess, I will have to wait...

omgg i wrote down 230 too!! I tought i was the only one hahah i have already like 20 mistakes, probably the others i guessed them

Hi guys!

Congrats on finally finishing, i'm sure you rocked it! I felt exactly the same way during my exam. I seemed to be flying through the questions and I also remembered almost 20 mistakes. I'm sure you are fine, you have been prepared for a long time. Go out and celebrate neighbor! :p

But it had to do more with my clinical thinking applyingn my

omgg i wrote down 230 too!! I tought i was the only one hahah i have already like 20 mistakes, probably the others i guessed them

Yeah, I have 16 mistakes.

24 - no clue cause I either don't remember the question/answer exactly or it's ethics and I don't really know what the answer is supposed tor be.. We will see.

I really hope I will be fine.

I can't recall 50 remaining questions and I'm freaking out that I got them wrong too :p

Congrats on finally finishing, i'm sure you rocked it! I felt exactly the same way during my exam. I seemed to be flying through the questions and I also remembered almost 20 mistakes. I'm sure you are fine, you have been prepared for a long time. Go out and celebrate neighbor! :p

Thank you!!! :)

Congratulations on your amazing score!!! I really hope I can get 230 as well. It would be the best thing ever!

My NBMES were betwwen 220-238 and UWSA2 - 247.

I took them a long time ago, though so it's hard to tell. I'm gonna try to suppress it for now :p

I don't understand how people remember questions after an exam.

My brain represses every memory of the exam the second I walk out the door. I've gone to exam reviews RIGHT after a test and realized that I didn't remember more than half the questions on there lol.

Reactions: 6 users

My brain represses every memory of the exam the second I walk out the door. I've gone to exam reviews RIGHT after a test and realized that I didn't remember more than half the questions on there lol.

I don't know how I did it either. Seriously.

The questions just kept popping up a few hours afterwards :/
At first I didn't remember anything and then they just came back.

Also, I might remember questions etc but I'm not sure of the exact answers... So, it is blurred anyway.

Thank you!!! :)

Congratulations on your amazing score!!! I really hope I can get 230 as well. It would be the best thing ever!

My NBMES were betwwen 220-238 and UWSA2 - 247.

I took them a long time ago, though so it's hard to tell. I'm gonna try to suppress it for now :p
Omg wee had the same scores in nbme!! I will let u know what i got next week that i get my score

Im the opposite, during the exan i freeze and when i come out im albert einstein all of a sudden with the adrenaline on fire hahaha but during the exam im just a zombie that cant think hahaha

Done!
Thanks guys for wishing me goodluck and saying a prayer
It was a wierd exam. Felt like nbme. You would be surprised by some questions that are asked.
Got questions I never thought I would get because uworld and nbmes never stressed it out but it is definitely in first aid.
It's a fair exam
FA is key, uworld def (I just hate fact it tries to trick you, so you're always second guessing yourself), nbme (similar concept as nbme)

Out of here till next 3 weeks when the scores come out

Last edited:
Just got done with step and had 7 blocks of 40. I'm hoping my score falls in line with recent NBMEs but I feel really unsure. Questions were a mix of NBME and UWorld style, but way harder than either, lots of vagueness. I wish I could fast forward 3 weeks!

Just got done with step and had 7 blocks of 40. I'm hoping my score falls in line with recent NBMEs but I feel really unsure. Questions were a mix of NBME and UWorld style, but way harder than either, lots of vagueness. I wish I could fast forward 3 weeks!

Congrats! I'm sure you did great! :)

Felt the same way! Did you have the feeling that they're not asking you about anything you hadn't read so far but its all asked in such a weird way?

Some questions were very simple, some more or less and some just WHAAT. I think I didn't even feel like there were any experimental qs... the big thing was them asking abt sth familiar in a very unfamiliar way...

Let's hope we did good!

Felt the same way! Did you have the feeling that they're not asking you about anything you hadn't read so far but its all asked in such a weird way?

Some questions were very simple, some more or less and some just WHAAT. I think I didn't even feel like there were any experimental qs... the big thing was them asking abt sth familiar in a very unfamiliar way...

Let's hope we did good!
In my case i felt that when i would read the vignetter i knew what they were talking about in almost al of them, however the question and answers of majority were wtffff lol

This! Everything you said in this post!!

Let's hope we did good!

Just finished too! 7 blocks of 40 as well. Such a weird exam - I wouldn't even say that it was hard, UWorld is way harder, but somehow just weird.
Rough breakdown for each block:

25/40 questions each block were straight up easy/reasonable to think through if you knew that concept/drug/bug/pathology/physiology/anatomy.
5/40 were UWorld style hard - lots of integration and thinking required. I liked these questions because I could think through them for a couple of extra minutes and be pretty confident that I had arrived at the right answer/feel good that all my learning for the past few weeks had paid off.
5/40 were NBME style hard - really super vague and unclear which answer choice was correct. These were frustrating because you could basically narrow down to 2-4 but after that you had no idea, and picked the "best" answer but really didn't feel confident about anything. Lots of ethics fell into this subset for me.
5/40 were completely wtf. Like, there were some questions on the exam where I literally didn't know if the question stem was in proper English. You have no idea what they're asking because its just phrased so strangely, OR its something completely out of left field like an Electron Micrograph of something you've never seen before, and they're like "so the cell that caused this process, which organelle did it use to cause it" and you're like a) wtf is this EM Im looking at, b) what process are you even talking about? c) what cell would cause this unknown process d) what organelle could it use to cause this process. Half of these you can be like semi confident on, and the other half, you kind of just pick an answer and move on.

Overall though, I felt it was a pretty fair exam. After doing so much UWorld, I was surprised at the number of easier/straightforward questions each block. I felt it was most similar to the free120, with around 5-8 harder questions thrown in to each 40Q block.

Just finished too! 7 blocks of 40 as well. Such a weird exam - I wouldn't even say that it was hard, UWorld is way harder, but somehow just weird.
Rough breakdown for each block:

25/40 questions each block were straight up easy/reasonable to think through if you knew that concept/drug/bug/pathology/physiology/anatomy.
5/40 were UWorld style hard - lots of integration and thinking required. I liked these questions because I could think through them for a couple of extra minutes and be pretty confident that I had arrived at the right answer/feel good that all my learning for the past few weeks had paid off.
5/40 were NBME style hard - really super vague and unclear which answer choice was correct. These were frustrating because you could basically narrow down to 2-4 but after that you had no idea, and picked the "best" answer but really didn't feel confident about anything. Lots of ethics fell into this subset for me.
5/40 were completely wtf. Like, there were some questions on the exam where I literally didn't know if the question stem was in proper English. You have no idea what they're asking because its just phrased so strangely, OR its something completely out of left field like an Electron Micrograph of something you've never seen before, and they're like "so the cell that caused this process, which organelle did it use to cause it" and you're like a) wtf is this EM Im looking at, b) what process are you even talking about? c) what cell would cause this unknown process d) what organelle could it use to cause this process. Half of these you can be like semi confident on, and the other half, you kind of just pick an answer and move on.

Overall though, I felt it was a pretty fair exam. After doing so much UWorld, I was surprised at the number of easier/straightforward questions each block. I felt it was most similar to the free120, with around 5-8 harder questions thrown in to each 40Q block.

We must have had a similar exam :) I specifically remember one question, they were asking about a very easy concept but in such way that I had no freaking clue.

I mean, there were more questions like this. Agree with 25/5/5/5 completely.

I just hope I answered these 15/40 questions right, at least partially :/ I counted some mistakes already and just hoping for it to end up okay!
3 weeks guys!

I hate to say it but I feel like I did badly. I hear a lot people feel like that walking out, but it's unnerving to feel that way.

I hate to say it but I feel like I did badly. I hear a lot people feel like that walking out, but it's unnerving to feel that way.

I actually really feel like I really underperformed as well. I thought it was a really weird balance of really pretty easy questions and then other really vague questions. Of the vague questions I feel like I could either get 100% right or 0% right, it could really go either way, there's no real way of telling. It is super unnerving and I have no idea where I stand.

I'm with you guys... It's a very weird feeling. Like, the test seemed to be okay but also filled with WTF questions. So, sometimes I feel like I did well and then I feel like I did poorly (as soon as I recall any weird questions).

I don't entirely feel like I did very badly but I also don't feel like I did well. It's the weirdest feeling.

I actually really feel like I really underperformed as well. I thought it was a really weird balance of really pretty easy questions and then other really vague questions. Of the vague questions I feel like I could either get 100% right or 0% right, it could really go either way, there's no real way of telling. It is super unnerving and I have no idea where I stand.
Did u feel different vs when taking nbmes? Because i felt horrible va nbmes feeling great coming out of them. Had to guess the lst 3 in some blocks. My score comes back next week so lest see what happens

I've been following this thread for awhile and thought I'd contribute. I took Step today and am not really sure what to think. I don't think it was my best performance, but I've read people do better than they think. I went into today hoping to do well and now that everything is starting to sink in I just hope I passed. Like pathologist said; it's unnerving to feel that way. I had 6 blocks of 40 and 1 block of 32. Those last 32 were by far the most challenging. The stems weren't crazy long, but I just had no idea what they wanted. My exam had a ton of hard micro (not in sketchy), some easy and some hard pharm that is definitely not in sketchy, and biochem and genetics. Psych was weird just like Joanna said. I used Pathoma, FA, and UW. NBME 15 got 221, NBME 17 got 213, NBME 19 got 240. NBME's 15 and 17 should have been higher - just made too many careless mistakes. Congrats to everyone that finished today.

I've been following this thread for awhile and thought I'd contribute. I took Step today and am not really sure what to think. I don't think it was my best performance, but I've read people do better than they think. I went into today hoping to do well and now that everything is starting to sink in I just hope I passed. Like pathologist said; it's unnerving to feel that way. I had 6 blocks of 40 and 1 block of 32. Those last 32 were by far the most challenging. The stems weren't crazy long, but I just had no idea what they wanted. My exam had a ton of hard micro (not in sketchy), some easy and some hard pharm that is definitely not in sketchy, and biochem and genetics. Psych was weird just like Joanna said. I used Pathoma, FA, and UW. NBME 15 got 221, NBME 17 got 213, NBME 19 got 240. NBME's 15 and 17 should have been higher - just made too many careless mistakes. Congrats to everyone that finished today.

What do you mean not in sketchy? Organisms that weren't in sketchy or presentations/pathology that sketchy missed? Same thing for drugs, where there drugs that weren't in FA?