USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
NBME score dropped by 20 points :dead:

HELP! My exam is in a week.
(7/17)NBME16:219
(8/11)UWSA1:245
(9/11)NBME17:250
(9/18)NBME18:230

And I just finished taking NBME 18 and my score had a drastic drop from my score on NBME 17 last week.

I really dont know where I went wrong. While I was taking it I knew I wasnt doing that well but I wasnt expecting such a low score. The questions did seem a lot harder for me and upon reviewing my wrongs I did make some careless mistakes but not even to account for the big difference in scores.

Any advice??? I really dont want to reschedule my exam. I just want to be done with this.
It's just a bit depressing. I was happy with a 250 NBME score but to see how drastic my performance dropped, made me lose all confidence.

I dont know where to go from here.

Do UWSA2 it was my most predictive. I got a 230 on nbme 18 and 245 on UWSA2 a week out and a 243 on the real deal. Just keep studying and learn from your mistakes

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, been lurking here for a while, finally decided to post.

So I'm about 1 month out from taking step, and somewhat discouraged by the trend of my NBME scores:
UWSA1: 224 (3 weeks ago)
NBME 13: 225 (a week ago)
NBME 17: 224 (today)

I'm almost done with first pass with FA, been doing 2 blocks of UWorld a day on random timed, averaging 68% (upward trend to 73% the last week), and going over every UWorld question meticulously, doing some Rx Qbank as well averaging about 75%. I'm a little stumped as to why I'm actively studying hard everyday and improving on UWorld but not improving on my NBMEs. For a little context, my MCAT was 38+ and I did fairly well on school exams during my preclinical years. I went through my NBME score report in detail and there are about 5-10 questions I initially got right but changed to an incorrect answer due to overthinking (lol).

Is it just lack of practice and being neurotic that's preventing me from improving on the NBMEs? Or am I missing something? I'm kind of stressed as I'm a month away from taking step and would love some advice and some constructive input from a different perspective! Thanks in advance!!
Do UWSA2 it was my most predictive. I got a 230 on nbme 18 and 245 on UWSA2 a week out and a 243 on the real deal. Just keep studying and learn from your mistakes

Sorry totally tried to reply to wrong post.

But I know exactly how you feel. Ive been going back and forth between being super calm and it and have crazy anxiety and not being able to sleep.
But just have to keep pushing and hope that it'll all pay off.
Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Thanks for the reply!
Congrats on your score! I'd be more than happy with that.

Im planning to take UWSA2 on Friday. Will try to get through FA first. Hopefully my score will be better.

Did you take NBME19? My exam is scheduled for next Thurs. Not sure if I should even try NBME19, it might just being me down even more.

Thanks for the reply!

Im planning to take UWSA2 on Friday. Will try to get through FA first. Hopefully my score will be better.

Did you take NBME19? My exam is scheduled for next Thurs. Not sure if I should even try NBME19, it might just being me down even more.
Do it at least for the questions. The curve sucks but the more questions, the better

Thanks for the reply!

I did 19 and got a 232 could've easily been a 220 though from the curve (that's like 3 questions on 19). I think you're ok with just UWSA2 with a week to go, especially if it will take a hit to your confidence to score low. But If you want to see new questions, and have time to learn from your mistakes I would recommend taking 19 then finishing with UWSA2. Uworld was just so close to the actual exam for me

Damn guys, got a 237...

From the NMRP 2016 this was exactly the mean for IMGs to match in anesthesiology, but I'd say the scores should go up... how do I fare in a future application for anesthesia? I've dedicated SOOO much for this and I expected a higher score
But I guess it could be worse... idk, now I should just go all in for step 2ck

Last edited:
Got score today -- 248.

Quick recap:
Kaplan full length 1 and 2 during 1st and 2nd semester (51% and 69%)
NBME 16: 225 -- 5-6 weeks out
NBME 17: 223 -- 4-5 weeks out
UWSA1: 251 -- 2-3 weeks out
UWSA/NBME 19: 254/244 -- 2 weeks out
NBME 18: 244 -- 1 week out

Real deal: 248
Note: I did not sleep the night before (maybe 3 hours). Just stay calm if this happens to you.
Best advice I got: Take UWSA followed by NBME. This was essentially my score and calluses you for the exam.

Got score today -- 248.

Quick recap:

Note: I did not sleep the night before (maybe 3 hours). Just stay calm if this happens to you.
Best advice I got: Take UWSA followed by NBME. This was essentially my score and calluses you for the exam.

Damn guys, got a 237...

From the NMRP 2016 this was exactly the mean for IMGs to match in anesthesiology, but I'd say the scores should go up... how do I fare in a future application for anesthesia? I've dedicated SOOO much for this and I expected a higher score

Hey. I am a US-IMG. There are a lot of factors: what school you are at, how much US clinical experience you have, US-IMG vs non-US IMG. We had a couple of upper years who were very successful with ~240s this past year. Like each had 20+ maybe even 30+ interviews at really good programs. Try and get 8-12+ weeks of US clinical experience if possible. This is the key. Programs consider IMGs without US clinical experience high risk. If this is not possible, it doesn't mean it is impossible to match, just more difficult. I think if you can get the 8-12 weeks you will be very successful with the 237. I am not an optimistic person either, that is just what I have seen from my school. 237 is a great score. Congrats!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey. I am a US-IMG. There are a lot of factors: what school you are at, how much US clinical experience you have, US-IMG vs non-US IMG. We had a couple of upper years who were very successful with ~240s this past year. Like each had 20+ maybe even 30+ interviews at really good programs. Try and get 8-12+ weeks of US clinical experience if possible. This is the key. Programs consider IMGs without US clinical experience high risk. If this is not possible, it doesn't mean it is impossible to match, just more difficult. I think if you can get the 8-12 weeks you will be very successful with the 237. I am not an optimistic person either, that is just what I have seen from my school. 237 is a great score. Congrats!!

Thank you very much for the reply, I really appreciate it. I'm a non-US IMG, yog 2014.

Yes, definitely I'll get those weeks of clinical experience, in fact I was just waiting for the step 1 result (to know if I would really continue on this path and even pay for my 2ck test -- what if I had failed?) to start looking for clinical experience; I guess now I'm allowed to "keep going", and that is a huge relief. Definitely my step 1 will not be the highest point in my application, but at least it won't be a (huge) limiting factor.

Btw, congratulations on your amazing score! Impressive score bump from 4-5 to 2 weeks out! Haha I also got almost no sleep the night before, so there one more for the "slept horribly" statistics.

Last edited:
I'm really sorry for you. I would like to recommend no major decisions like quitting right now...it's an emotional time. Does your school have good counseling?
here is a link that may help you (Six Practical Steps to Take After Failing USMLE Step 1) Six Practical Steps to Take After Failing USMLE Step 1

I read the tips, unfortunately there is no chance for me to retake, I am gone. So man years of my life wasted, so much debt, no future, no worth, its over.

Got score today -- 248.

Quick recap:

Congratulations! That's an amazing score. I took nbme 16-19 and in all of those I am averaging at 225 :(
Now planning to give uwsa as I've used all my nbmes.

Damn guys, got a 237...

Umm I thought everything above 230 is good? I am an IMG too. Congratulations!

Failed, getting kicked out of school, and honestly contemplating suicide.
Obviously I don't know you and I can't imagine what you are going through at this moment, but your comment on contemplating suicide concerns me a great deal. If you just got this news, then you are feeling the very worst of it but please don't act or make decisions based on how you feel right now. There are many resources such as the suicide hotline (1-800-273-8255) which has texting/messaging options (Talk To Someone Now). Please reach out to someone whether it be these hotlines or a school counselor if you are seriously considering this.

Reactions: 7 users
Failed, getting kicked out of school, and honestly contemplating suicide.
I agree with everyone else here. It may seem like everything's over but it's really not. Even if one door has closed, many others will open. Give yourself some time to get out of this and don't make any decision at this point.

I agree with everyone else here. It may seem like everything's over but it's really not. Even if one door has closed, many others will open. Give yourself some time to get out of this and don't make any decision at this point.

Thanks to everyone or being so nice, but I just dont get it. The last time I failed I had really low practice test scores so it wasn't that much of a shock. This time My actual test score was 30! points below my lowest practice test score. I dont get it. I felt just like everybody says you are suppose to feel coming out of the test, but those people always do well and I missed a bunch, and I dont know if it was me but there was so much **** on the test that wasnt in UFAP like, crazy pharm minutia looking for you to recognize specific p450 isoenzymes, I just don't get it

This thread has been reported by several users due to the comments about self-harm. SDN takes such statements seriously and we would like to remind everyone that anyone who is contemplating harming themselves should immediately seek professional counseling advice, not rely on SDN or other non-professional resources. SDN should not serve as a place to obtain counseling or other advice regarding significant psychological issues.

If anyone needs to talk to someone urgently, we recommend the 24/7 Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255 or the online chat.

Hi everyone,
So this is my first post I just received my step 1 scores today and considering how much SDN has helped me throughout the study process I decided to share my experience.
I scored 258 and these were my practice test scores;

Nbme 18 - 248 (3 weeks out)
Nbme 19 - 242 (2 weeks out)
Nbme 16 - 246 (1 week out)
Nbme 13- 248 (1 week out)
Free 120 - 84%
UWSA 1- 264
UWSA 2 - 256
Kaplan full length 1- 87%
Kaplan full length 2 - 88%

Real deal- 258

Reactions: 2 users
Are we alowed to post and say what topics appeared on real deal? Just like saying, "i got questions about p450 isoenzymes, or I got question about tanner stages, or I got wierd questions about the sensory receptors on tips of the digits?" If yes, we can make a list of newly added topics that seem to be high yield like cyps, tanner stages e.t.c - If not, we must be quiet in case not to be banned. Any ideas about the rules?

Are we alowed to post and say what topics appeared on real deal? Just like saying, "i got questions about p450 isoenzymes, or I got question about tanner stages, or I got wierd questions about the sensory receptors on tips of the digits?" If yes, we can make a list of newly added topics that seem to be high yield like cyps, tanner stages e.t.c - If not, we must be quiet in case not to be banned. Any ideas about the rules?

There's already a full list of the topics that appeared on the real deal floating around. It's called First Aid lol.

Reactions: 9 users
There's already a full list of the topics that appeared on the real deal floating around. It's called First Aid lol.

What is the problem with people I can't get it? You seem and inteligent person, most probably enrolled in us school ... Is there any section in First Aid about the specific cyp enzymes? Or maybe specific breech delivieries? Someone posted here about breeches, other post was If I am not wrong about malposision of teeth. Before jumping out and joking, figure out what's going on, because it may seem not smart ) by the way first aid is published once a year in december, and if you have not noticed yet - new topics appear constantly.

Are we alowed to speak about topics that appear on real deal? Only names of the topics, not specifig questions and wording.

What is the problem with people I can't get it? You seem and inteligent person, most probably enrolled in us school ... Is there any section in First Aid about the specific cyp enzymes? Or maybe specific breech delivieries? Someone posted here about breeches, other post was If I am not wrong about malposision of teeth. Before jumping out and joking, figure out what's going on, because it may seem not smart ) by the way first aid is published once a year in december, and if you have not noticed yet - new topics appear constantly.

Are we alowed to speak about topics that appear on real deal? Only names of the topics, not specifig questions and wording.
Remember that there are a lot of experimental questions too and stuff like that would probably fall into that category...and no, based on the slip we all get after the exam, it is not allowed (even from memory according to the slip) to answer your question. Are you going to go and read lipincott for every subject now just to get a cyp 450 question right or whatever and sacrifice forgetting things in First Aid? First aid was and is the answer.

Remember that there are a lot of experimental questions too and stuff like that would probably fall into that category...and no, based on the slip we all get after the exam, it is not allowed (even from memory according to the slip) to answer your question. Are you going to go and read lipincott for every subject now just to get a cyp 450 question right or whatever and sacrifice forgetting things in First Aid? First aid was and is the answer.

I totaly agreee with you. Let's say you got 5 questions on cyp (which is not going to happen, you can't get 5 question on that much low yield stuff, which maybe even became high yield) so if you missed even that 5, it is not going to ruin our scores. I meen that if person is prepared and is scoring let's say 230 +- constantly on every nbme, even getting that cyp questions or strange question about breech delivery, or questions from wierd anatomy and fractures which are onlt known to pgy5 ortho chief residents, this all I think will not have big influence on our curve, because most of all is going to miss this questions simply because most of us does ufap + kaplan + maybe goljan audio +- B&B. How much % of examinees is going to remember some minutae from ms1 1st month lecture from anatomy? - Probably no one. What minutae will be with you on exam day? - ufap. Maybe someone can remember all the lectures + all the ufap = and they may score 270, but I speak about the average people, average people that treats us everyday at the hospital, not that 1-2% of graduates that invent new cancer drugs, those are outliers, which I am not. As long as I know questions are graded depending on how much % of examinees gave right or wrong answer. So it means that if person fails usmle, or gets low score, it meens that his/her core basic concepts are not doing well, it's like you don't know that acetozolamide is sulfa drug and can rape you kidneys ... or chloroquine is toxic to your eyes, all this is in FA. how much people that cloroquine is toxic to eyes? I know because I have done around 15 000 Anki cards and finaly i know most of the FA. Hard work, nothing special. Tallent? well, some is more talented to remember fastly, but in the end there is say 3000 concepts, and if you master them all - you become a master. I was thinking a lot about this stuff, why do people fail? Is it because wierd usmle exam form? - no no and no! It is because people are not ready to put they buts for a 10 hours a day, nothing more, anyone can get 220 on this exam, anyone! Just a question of time and energy input. Someone needs 2 month, someone needs 10 month, I know people from harvard which I meet on surgical congress, those some of them take year off for research after ms2 to take step 1 exam because they have not managed if earlier, if you are not ready don't that tham damn exam, better to have several red flags than to fail. This life is about what is better? - better to fail or to be questioned "why you don't sat the exam in the end of ms2?" my 0.5 cents, just my opinion

Reactions: 2 users
Got score today -- 248.

Quick recap:

Did you feel like the Kaplan tests were useful?

Hey guys, can someone please tell whether Bundle Branch blocks high or low yield (or medium)?
They’re not mentioned in FA and I didn’t come across any question on them in UWorld either. Infact UWorld doesn’t even give much importance to AV blocks?

Thanks in advance

I totaly agreee with you. Let's say you got 5 questions on cyp (which is not going to happen, you can't get 5 question on that much low yield stuff, which maybe even became high yield) so if you missed even that 5, it is not going to ruin our scores. I meen that if person is prepared and is scoring let's say 230 +- constantly on every nbme, even getting that cyp questions or strange question about breech delivery, or questions from wierd anatomy and fractures which are onlt known to pgy5 ortho chief residents, this all I think will not have big influence on our curve, because most of all is going to miss this questions simply because most of us does ufap + kaplan + maybe goljan audio +- B&B. How much % of examinees is going to remember some minutae from ms1 1st month lecture from anatomy? - Probably no one. What minutae will be with you on exam day? - ufap. Maybe someone can remember all the lectures + all the ufap = and they may score 270, but I speak about the average people, average people that treats us everyday at the hospital, not that 1-2% of graduates that invent new cancer drugs, those are outliers, which I am not. As long as I know questions are graded depending on how much % of examinees gave right or wrong answer. So it means that if person fails usmle, or gets low score, it meens that his/her core basic concepts are not doing well, it's like you don't know that acetozolamide is sulfa drug and can rape you kidneys ... or chloroquine is toxic to your eyes, all this is in FA. how much people that cloroquine is toxic to eyes? I know because I have done around 15 000 Anki cards and finaly i know most of the FA. Hard work, nothing special. Tallent? well, some is more talented to remember fastly, but in the end there is say 3000 concepts, and if you master them all - you become a master. I was thinking a lot about this stuff, why do people fail? Is it because wierd usmle exam form? - no no and no! It is because people are not ready to put they buts for a 10 hours a day, nothing more, anyone can get 220 on this exam, anyone! Just a question of time and energy input. Someone needs 2 month, someone needs 10 month, I know people from harvard which I meet on surgical congress, those some of them take year off for research after ms2 to take step 1 exam because they have not managed if earlier, if you are not ready don't that tham damn exam, better to have several red flags than to fail. This life is about what is better? - better to fail or to be questioned "why you don't sat the exam in the end of ms2?" my 0.5 cents, just my opinion
I think debating why people fail or what the average med student remembers is useless on a forum like this. To each their own. It's good you're looking for answers to the obscure questions; sounds like you're prepared. You go glencoco.

Did you feel like the Kaplan tests were useful?

Um, that is a good question. I think they are useful for tracking progress and building endurance if you decide to use Kaplan qbank before you use Uworld (I used kaplan alongside my courses). I honestly cannot remember what the questions were like but I don't remember them being as similar to the exam as Uworld and NBME questions.

Hey guys, can someone please tell whether Bundle Branch blocks high or low yield (or medium)?
They’re not mentioned in FA and I didn’t come across any question on them in UWorld either. Infact UWorld doesn’t even give much importance to AV blocks?

Thanks in advance

Its mentioned in FA organ systems, but it is a small blurb. I don't know if its high yield or low yield etc., but I definitely think you should know if you have time and are aiming for a really high score.

I think debating why people fail or what the average med student remembers is useless on a forum like this. To each their own. It's good you're looking for answers to the obscure questions; sounds like you're prepared. You go glencoco.

You are right, the reason people fail is beyond the discussion on this virtual forum where I am sure half of the people are imaginary persons with no proof of their pass/fails. I scored on nbme 13 - 234, it was 1.5 month ago. I hope that I will not be one of that guys that score 30 scores bellow their average, I was thinking what can make you score 30 scores bellow your average? - And I came to a an answer, that if a student scores on 4-5 nbme's and his average is stable, not to much upfalls and downfalls, this way there is no chance to get 30 scores bellow the highest nbme. I post this because people saying "I scored 30 scores bellow my maximal nbme score" this type of people stresses people so much, and I was thinking what is the reason for that much fail? Every nbme has only 200 questions, so only 200 concepts. For a comparison, uworld has 2500 concepts. You can easily score on one nbme higher, and on other lower depending on your weakness and strentgh. Nbme's are only predictive if you have done all of them 13,15,16,17,18 and if you scores are rising, or even if they are stable and not going up - or down, this meens that you are prepared and you will not score 30 scores down, only if you colapse or get a panic attack. So folks, don't listen to people who fails, listen to the people who reached their dreams (at least got normal usmle score), I try to ovoid all the negative ideas and emotions. I don't want to be offensive but stick to suggestions and advises of people that has done - what you are going to do. Sounds silly do listen to an NFL player's advise when you are aspiring basketball player in college, this makes no sense. I am sure, people who fails this exam, they failed way more time earlier when doesn't got into med school, or got bad mcat score, or bat ast score, you can't be an outstanding student for whole your life and not manage to score 190 on this exam ... only if you got deppresion or some things along this line.

I was simply trying to make a point in a joking manner, I had no intention of bellitling you, your question was not silly at all. I apologize if you felt that way. If I'm not mistaken, it is ok to bring up topics that showed up on recent exams, but not actual questions.

I scored >260, and this is one of the most accurate assessments I have seen. I don't blame you for trying to really figure out how people fail or succeed on this exam. But also keep in mind that test day performance is everything. Doesn't matter how well your practice exams were if you crack in half in the middle of the exam. The exam is TOUGH, but I think the reason why ppl continue to score in their average range is because we are MEDICAL STUDENTS, everyone is more than capable of rising to the challenge and keeping their composure.

I was simply trying to make a point in a joking manner, I had no intention of bellitling you, your question was not silly at all. I apologize if you felt that way. If I'm not mistaken, it is ok to bring up topics that showed up on recent exams, but not actual questions.

I scored >260, and this is one of the most accurate assessments I have seen. I don't blame you for trying to really figure out how people fail or succeed on this exam. But also keep in mind that test day performance is everything. Doesn't matter how well your practice exams were if you crack in half in the middle of the exam. The exam is TOUGH, but I think the reason why ppl continue to score in their average range is because we are MEDICAL STUDENTS, everyone is more than capable of rising to the challenge and keeping their composure.

Congratulations with a killer score!

Exam is on Thurs.
Took UWSA2 today got 249. Was suppose to take it w NBME 19 but the wifi in the library keep kicking me off.

Wanted to take NBME 19 for the additional questions. But I saw some sites already have the q&a. Should I still even bother taking NBME 19? Or just nonstop FA for the next 2 days? lol

Exam is on Thurs.
Took UWSA2 today got 249. Was suppose to take it w NBME 19 but the wifi in the library keep kicking me off.

Wanted to take NBME 19 for the additional questions. But I saw some sites already have the q&a. Should I still even bother taking NBME 19? Or just nonstop FA for the next 2 days? lol

FA for the next 2 days - it's more likely you'll see factoids from the book as opposed to factoids from the NBME (happened to me).

Any tips on how to go about Last 4 days?
Finishing Uworld 2nd pass. 8 or so blocks left. Doing 2/day.
Want to revise CVS from FA, really feeling weak in that.
Rest Don't know if I should be going through minutae from flashcards that I keep forgetting or flip through FA to probably just have an overview of what all is there?

Plan to read Rapid Review for the Last Day.

NBMEs touching 250 but goal is 255-260ish.

Thanks in anticipation.

Any tips on how to go about Last 4 days?
Finishing Uworld 2nd pass. 8 or so blocks left. Doing 2/day.
Want to revise CVS from FA, really feeling weak in that.
Rest Don't know if I should be going through minutae from flashcards that I keep forgetting or flip through FA to probably just have an overview of what all is there?

Plan to read Rapid Review for the Last Day.

NBMEs touching 250 but goal is 255-260ish.

Thanks in anticipation.

Touching 250 and feeling weak at cvs ... sounds strange, or more like trolling ) considering the curve of nbme's whichi is pretty damn crazy nowadays ... ) relax, watch movie, watch some boards and beyond in cvs if feel week, it's gold!

FA for the next 2 days - it's more likely you'll see factoids from the book as opposed to factoids from the NBME (happened to me).

Thanks for the response!
Will not take it anymore.
I can't concentrate. I'm barely skimming through FA. I just want to be done with this exam and this book! hahaha

Just going to post this to show practice tests aren't always the best predictors.
European US-IMG:
NBME 13-two months out-211
NBME 15-one month out-245
NBME 16-230
NBME 17-242
NBME 18-232
UWSA1-235
UWSA2-242
Real Deal-226
Cheers guys

Just going to post this to show practice tests aren't always the best predictors.
European US-IMG:
NBME 13-two months out-211
NBME 15-one month out-245
NBME 16-230
NBME 17-242
NBME 18-232
UWSA1-235
UWSA2-242
Real Deal-226
Cheers guys

Tough luck man.