USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
I started by doing 1-2 blocks per day without making notes. After 10-15 blocks I realized I was not getting the most out of the questions and it was only then that I started taking notes and do 1 block per day max. Reviewing questions and taking notes is time consuming but highly rewarding because you understand concepts better.
I think that the most efficient way to use UW is as a learning tool and let it help you boost your knowledge and point out your weaknesses. The most important thing I gained from UW was the type of thinking and how to approach questions.

Were you doing this during dedicated or during school year? If it's the latter, how were you able to balance it out with schoolwork?

Members don't see this ad :)
just took nbme 17 and 77% correct equals 200? my exam is august 31st so i dont know what to feell. can anyone provide feedback?

edit: i took nbme 16 june 28 and got 67 wrong took nbme 17 today and got 47 wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys! I have been stalking this thread for the past couple of months and am finally posting after receiving my score (got locked out of my old account so had to make a new one)..

I am a US DO student, always have been an average student (MCAT 26). I started doing really well end of 1st year and ended up in top 15% of my class by end of 2nd year. I strongly agree that learning the subjects well during school really helped me succeed.

NBME 13 (4 weeks out): 219
NBME 18 (2 weeks out): 230
NBME 16 (1 week out): 244
Uworld sim 1: 248
Uworld sim 2: 258
Real deal, 7/3/17: 255

Incredibly SHOCKED and overwhelmed with this score. It still feels surreal and I feel like a sort of imposter. I set my goal to be 235 and honestly left the exam feeling like I had been hit by a train. I felt that my exam was much more challenging than any of the NBMEs and Uworld, in terms of the critical thinking it required. I spent the 3 days after the exam crying randomly, couldn't sleep, and was convinced there was no way I'd break a 220. I remember reading this thread with everyone saying to trust your NBME averages, and I thought to myself, "I'm the exception. There's no way I scored well on that exam." There were at least 15 questions I remembered getting incorrect, and then a good 20-30+ I was unsure of and many more that I had marked (i have never been a marker on exams). So the moral of my story is to try and relax after and remind yourself that no matter how bad you feel after this exam, it's literally NO indicator of how you did. I promise!!!!

**Edited to include my 2 cents on study strategy: my best way of learning is through active recall, i.e. questions, flashcards etc. I cannot stress how important UWorld was in terms of prep for not just content, but also learning how to critically think and analyze tough questions. I have never been able to retain a lot by just reading straight out of a book, so I'd do a majority of my content review through questions, and would then review and annotate the relevant part of First Aid. I'd usually start the day with a block or two of random UWorld questions and would review/annotate those topics in FA. Then I'd do specific content review with Kaplan Qbank (or whatever other bank you use) on tutor mode...I'd try to answer the question on my own, but if not, I'd search for the answer in First aid or pathoma. I found that by actively searching for a concept, as opposed to just reading pages at a time, I was able to retain that specific topic much more. I'd then do anki cards (from the brosencephalon deck) later in the day on whatever content areas I'd reviewed earlier (i.e. I'd try to do the cardiac FA phys & pharm deck, and some of the pathoma deck) or UWorld questions specific to that area. I'd pepper in sketchy micro/pharm as needed, especially for weak areas, and would be sure to quiz myself after watching the videos (again...anything active!).

Good luck to everyone :) Trust yourself and all of your prep!!
thanks for your post. Took my exam couple days ago and feel just as you did. Although I can only recall about 8 that I missed and a few were super WTF questions (pls be experimentals) along with some super low yield anatomy... then there were probably about 10-15 I felt I guessed on. I scored well on the NBME's but the margin for error is so small I wonder how the curve compares to the real deal. Hope it turns out ok. I didn't think the wait would be bad but so far it has been brutal, your post gives me hope.

just took nbme 17 and 77% correct equals 200? my exam is august 31st so i dont know what to feell. can anyone provide feedback?

edit: i took nbme 16 june 28 and got 67 wrong took nbme 17 today and got 47 wrong.

Dat curve doh.

248 (16), 248 (17), 262 (UW1), 242 (18), 250 (UW2):

test is this week if anybody can predict my score +-2 I'll buy them a candy bar.

test is this week if anybody can predict my score +-2 I'll buy them a candy bar.

Nobody gets on their real deal less than on nbme 18 (unless you are an outlier which means that you are unfortunate on that day getting set of questions that doesn't fit you at all). So relax. I bet you will score around 240-250, because most of the people also score more on real deal than on nbme 18.

Were you doing this during dedicated or during school year? If it's the latter, how were you able to balance it out with schoolwork?
I did not have anything in the last 8 weeks but before I had research that took me the whole morning. It was approximately 6-8 hours per day to take notes and review from UW. But after 10-15 blocks you become familiar and you can increase the speed of taking notes (at the end of UW I was reviewing with notes a block in 2-3 hours).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone I haven't posted in a while and I'm posting now because I'm incredibly anxious about my score. I haven't gotten it yet but I've been so worried since taking the exam. I know that's everyone but I'm wondering if anyone here shares my personal experience during the exam.

I achieved my goal score of 230 about 4 days out on NBME 18, but it took a long time and I steadily got there. The next 4 days my studying was inefficient and slow. During the exam it felt like nothing in particular was front loaded in my mind. I lost momentum after getting to my goal and during the exam it felt like I was just guessing all over the place. I marked a bunch that I was 50/50 on, didn't mark the ones that it wouldn't help to look at again. I finished with seconds to spare every time. I remember having to reread a lot of questions. Thinking back post exam it feels like 90% of the stuff I was 50/50 on I got wrong. I can easily recall 20-30 simple things I got wrong off the top of my head and I haven't even been trying recall anything.

I'm worried about not passing. I know most people feel like the exam was tough but I know for sure i was making silly mistakes actively, so I worry my guessing was very off. Has anyone reading this gone through these same feelings and recieved what they expected (low to failing score) or an absolute miracle where they just get a score similar to NBME's? I know it's common to worry and I've read a lot on this thread about thinking it went badly then it just resulting in something fine, but the feeling during and after about silly mistakes is just killing me.

Hey everyone I haven't posted in a while and I'm posting now because I'm incredibly anxious about my score. I haven't gotten it yet but I've been so worried since taking the exam. I know that's everyone but I'm wondering if anyone here shares my personal experience during the exam.

I achieved my goal score of 230 about 4 days out on NBME 18, but it took a long time and I steadily got there. The next 4 days my studying was inefficient and slow. During the exam it felt like nothing in particular was front loaded in my mind. I lost momentum after getting to my goal and during the exam it felt like I was just guessing all over the place. I marked a bunch that I was 50/50 on, didn't mark the ones that it wouldn't help to look at again. I finished with seconds to spare every time. I remember having to reread a lot of questions. Thinking back post exam it feels like 90% of the stuff I was 50/50 on I got wrong. I can easily recall 20-30 simple things I got wrong off the top of my head and I haven't even been trying recall anything.

I'm worried about not passing. I know most people feel like the exam was tough but I know for sure i was making silly mistakes actively, so I worry my guessing was very off. Has anyone reading this gone through these same feelings and recieved what they expected (low to failing score) or an absolute miracle where they just get a score similar to NBME's? I know it's common to worry and I've read a lot on this thread about thinking it went badly then it just resulting in something fine, but the feeling during and after about silly mistakes is just killing me.

The more you have been guessing - the more harder form you got I think. The harder form you got - better will be the curve of real deal score. This is that simple. If you scored 230 on nbme 18 it means according to the 2017 reddit charts (check previous page) people do score way higher if they scored 230 on nbme 18. From what I saw, people scoring 230 on nbme 18 are going to get way more than 230 (like 240 maybe) but if you scored 245 on nbme 18, this doesn't put you in same boat as if you have scored 230, because now you have very little room to do mistakes if you score already that high (245). This is my opinion, just observashion of folks scores. Relax!

yeah I feel the same. Try to just relax is all we can do. I also have my list of stupid mistakes on my phone that I add to daily as well as my list of guess questions. I have at least 5 answers that I don't even know if they were right or wrong even with extensive google use! All I can do is convince myself that half of these were experimentals.

Nobody gets on their real deal less than on nbme 18 (unless you are an outlier which means that you are unfortunate on that day getting set of questions that doesn't fit you at all). So relax. I bet you will score around 240-250, because most of the people also score more on real deal than on nbme 18.

I will most certainly be one of these outliers. Nbme 18 was my highest practice test score of 273 (missed 5 total) and so far my list of questions missed on the real deal is pushing 20. My other practice scores were:
240 (nbme 13 two months out)
250 (nbme 15 one month out)
263 (nbme 16 two weeks out)
265 (nbme 17 1.5 weeks out)
273 (nbme 18 1 week out)
269 (nbme 19 4 days out)

Took real deal last week. Felt pretty good leaving test but keep remembering stupid mistakes everyday. All I want is to break 250 but I feel I won't even hit that. It's crazy because I want to scream at myself to trust nbme's but damn this exam toys with you and feel I'm the exception. I will cry with joy if I can break 250. Anyone who can correctly predict my exact score I will buy a giant gummy worm.

Amazon product

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-7_20-5-16.png
    upload_2017-8-7_20-5-16.png
    292.3 KB · Views: 94

I think you're fine, mostly everyone leaves feeling bad, I left thinking I failed and I ended up doing fine!

yeah I feel the same. Try to just relax is all we can do. I also have my list of stupid mistakes on my phone that I add to daily as well as my list of guess questions. I have at least 5 answers that I don't even know if they were right or wrong even with extensive google use! All I can do is convince myself that half of these were experimentals.

I will most certainly be one of these outliers. Nbme 18 was my highest practice test score of 273 (missed 5 total) and so far my list of questions missed on the real deal is pushing 20. My other practice scores were:
273 (nbme 18 1 week out)
269 (nbme 19 4 days out)

Took real deal last week. Felt pretty good leaving test but keep remembering stupid mistakes everyday. All I want is to break 250 but I feel I won't even hit that. It's crazy because I want to scream at myself to trust nbme's but damn this exam toys with you and feel I'm the exception. I will cry with joy if I can break 250. Anyone who can correctly predict my exact score I will buy a giant gummy worm.

Amazon product

I wouldn't be surprised if you broke 260 tbh

does nbme 17 underpredict nowadays?
I did better than all my NBMEs. NBME 17 was my best NBME and I beat it by more than 5 points.

273 (nbme 18 1 week out)
269 (nbme 19 4 days out)

Amazon product

You got to be an extraordinary person because I have never saw on this forum a person to have that high nbme scores that consistently. Nbme 19 downslope doesn't count because the curve is super harsh and question set as people tend to say is super dumb. If you had 273 on nbme 18 and 250 on nbme 17 I wound say that okay maybe it's just a luck, but having 265 on nbme 17 and then 273 on nbme 18 speaks for itself. Having 5 mistakes only on the hardest nbme means that you should start searching for another more harder specialty for you :D :D
If you don't mind have you done something another than ufap in the period of nbme 13 to nbme 19?

My permit link just disappeared and I took exam on 7/11....

Can't wait!! This is for real!!

Never posted on here b4, so glad to join the convo... Nbme 18 was 250, nbme 19 was 236, nbme 17 was 242 and uwsa2 was 247...praying for 250+ but I'll take >240.

odds of >250 with these #'s?

Reactions: 1 users

273 (nbme 18 1 week out)
269 (nbme 19 4 days out)

Amazon product

Idk if youve seen my posts but i was basically where you are rn and ended up with mid 260s. Similar practice scores too. Dont worry so much. And most of all dont complain to friends that you didnt do as well as you should have (i did). Just say "man that couldve gone better but hopefully i still did fine". As long as you were honest when taking your nbmes you probably didnt fall much short of your aspiration.

My prediction: 261

My permit link just disappeared and I took exam on 7/11....

Can't wait!! This is for real!!

Never posted on here b4, so glad to join the convo... Nbme 18 was 250, nbme 19 was 236, nbme 17 was 242 and uwsa2 was 247...praying for 250+ but I'll take >240.

odds of >250 with these #'s?
Very possible that you broke a 250, but always hope for the best and expect the worst (thats what i try to follow, at least)

Thought I'd give back to this thread since it was so helpful to me.

I took 6 weeks of dedicated to take the test. I got a 250 on my first NBME 3 weeks into taking it after scoring a 215 baseline 3 weeks prior. I started doing u-world and making an anki deck of any concept from either u-world, RX or FA I felt just needed to be committed to memory. I did this throughout M2 but really picked it up 2nd semester. I would flip through the anki deck during down-time and during dedicated I allotted the first 30 minutes of every day to a cup of coffee and anki.

The best advice I can give is to do well during the first 2 years. I realize that not all curriculums are the same and I was fortunate enough to go to a school (albeit not top ranked) that had a great curriculum with great professors. I would supplement throughout M2 with rapid review, pathoma, and first aid.

During the time between my baseline 215 and my 250 on NBME 16 I would content review every morning with FA and pathoma in reverse directions. So if I did cardio in FA, I would do something ELSE in pathoma, probably the last few chapters like derm. This helped me never have material not be fresh. After I would read the FA chapter (active reading, highlighting, looking up ANY and EVERY word that confused me on usmle forums or med bullets) I would do at least 1 block but sometimes 2 if I was feeling ambitious of u-world. I marked any question (including some I got correct) I wanted to see again. I got through the bank 1.5 times.

I was actually a little disappointed in my score. With a 250 3 weeks in and with 3 to go, I was hoping to break 260 and I knew I was capable of 260. The rest of my nbme's and UWSA's floated between 250-260 and after every exam I would realize that absolutely DUMB mistakes I would make. I was hoping that I could correct this over the 3 weeks.

Actual score 253. Good luck to those taking the test.

Reactions: 3 users
Thought I'd give back to this thread since it was so helpful to me.

I took 6 weeks of dedicated to take the test. I got a 250 on my first NBME 3 weeks into taking it after scoring a 215 baseline 3 weeks prior. I started doing u-world and making an anki deck of any concept from either u-world, RX or FA I felt just needed to be committed to memory. I did this throughout M2 but really picked it up 2nd semester. I would flip through the anki deck during down-time and during dedicated I allotted the first 30 minutes of every day to a cup of coffee and anki.

The best advice I can give is to do well during the first 2 years. I realize that not all curriculums are the same and I was fortunate enough to go to a school (albeit not top ranked) that had a great curriculum with great professors. I would supplement throughout M2 with rapid review, pathoma, and first aid.

During the time between my baseline 215 and my 250 on NBME 16 I would content review every morning with FA and pathoma in reverse directions. So if I did cardio in FA, I would do something ELSE in pathoma, probably the last few chapters like derm. This helped me never have material not be fresh. After I would read the FA chapter (active reading, highlighting, looking up ANY and EVERY word that confused me on usmle forums or med bullets) I would do at least 1 block but sometimes 2 if I was feeling ambitious of u-world. I marked any question (including some I got correct) I wanted to see again. I got through the bank 1.5 times.

I was actually a little disappointed in my score. With a 250 3 weeks in and with 3 to go, I was hoping to break 260 and I knew I was capable of 260. The rest of my nbme's and UWSA's floated between 250-260 and after every exam I would realize that absolutely DUMB mistakes I would make. I was hoping that I could correct this over the 3 weeks.

Actual score 253. Good luck to those taking the test.

Congratulations with such a super score. I have a question, how much mistakes you had in nbme 16 for 250 score? I did nbme 13 recently and did 25 mistakes and scored 234. Don't know what to think, folks write that nbme 13 is harder than 15,16,17 and say that nbme 18 is totally different from the rest and is more like the real deal. False?

You got to be an extraordinary person because I have never saw on this forum a person to have that high nbme scores that consistently. Nbme 19 downslope doesn't count because the curve is super harsh and question set as people tend to say is super dumb. If you had 273 on nbme 18 and 250 on nbme 17 I wound say that okay maybe it's just a luck, but having 265 on nbme 17 and then 273 on nbme 18 speaks for itself. Having 5 mistakes only on the hardest nbme means that you should start searching for another more harder specialty for you :D :D
If you don't mind have you done something another than ufap in the period of nbme 13 to nbme 19?

When I took NBME 13 I was very superficial (I didn't know what a cohort was vs case control, didn't have any calculations down, wasnt good with diabetes drugs etc). I then dedicated myself to absolutely understand everything in FA. Then went thru BRS physiology, Kaplan biostats and anatomy, and the entire Kaplan qbank. Loved Kaplan, wish I would've done it earlier. Most ppl hate it but I think it's bc it's difficult. It really makes you think especially for the arrow up arrow down q's. On real deal all the arrow questions were cake.

I think after uworld 3x , usmlerx 2x, Kaplan qbank, and understanding FA cold I got to the point where I felt I could handle anything.... I looked back at NBME 13 and laughed at some of the stuff I missed... that is until I faced the real test LOL pray they were experimentals that I missed. Either way my goal was 250, once I started hitting 260+ on NBMEs I was in disbelief (but then again I had studied 3 solid straight months nonstop by that point- not IMG, us MD upper middle tier).

When I took NBME 13 I was very superficial (I didn't know what a cohort was vs case control, didn't have any calculations down, wasnt good with diabetes drugs etc). I then dedicated myself to absolutely understand everything in FA. Then went thru BRS physiology, Kaplan biostats and anatomy, and the entire Kaplan qbank. Loved Kaplan, wish I would've done it earlier. Most ppl hate it but I think it's bc it's difficult. It really makes you think especially for the arrow up arrow down q's. On real deal all the arrow questions were cake.

I think after uworld 3x , usmlerx 2x, Kaplan qbank, and understanding FA cold I got to the point where I felt I could handle anything.... I looked back at NBME 13 and laughed at some of the stuff I missed... that is until I faced the real test LOL pray they were experimentals that I missed. Either way my goal was 250, once I started hitting 260+ on NBMEs I was in disbelief (but then again I had studied 3 solid straight months nonstop by that point- not IMG, us MD upper middle tier).

Thank you for an answer. I am going to do same, 3x uworld, let's see

Thank you for an answer. I am going to do same, 3x uworld, let's see
I don't have my real score yet so my voice is currently worthless but if I were to do it again I wouldn't do a third pass of uworld, but rather Kaplan or something else

July 12th taker here... permit gone; ready and willing for the pounding that will come from my attending and the NBME tomorrow!!! Feels... feels like victory... good luck everyone!!!

Congratulations with such a super score. I have a question, how much mistakes you had in nbme 16 for 250 score? I did nbme 13 recently and did 25 mistakes and scored 234. Don't know what to think, folks write that nbme 13 is harder than 15,16,17 and say that nbme 18 is totally different from the rest and is more like the real deal. False?

All my NBME's floated around 13-17 incorrect and all where around 250-256 score range. There where some questions that I felt tested the exact concepts from NBME and u-world questions, so doing questions is crucial to success, however I felt no one NBME / Uworld assessment matched all that great with the real deal. It was a combo of all of them.

Gave the test on 13th July. Permit disappeared yesterday. How do I know I've got the result ? When does it usually come? Expecting it today its been 4 weeks

Gave the test on 13th July. Permit disappeared yesterday. How do I know I've got the result ? When does it usually come? Expecting it today its been 4 weeks

Scores are normally posted at 11AM EST. should get an email sometime shortly before then saying they will be posted. Sometime the email comes late so it's worth just checking for your score at 11.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I gave mone on the 13th its almost been a month !!! This is crazy
I understand. Everyday I try not to think about stupid mistakes that I made on exam but somehow mind finds way to think not many but still. This forum has really nice experiences. Hopefully i can cross 250-260+. Best of luck

I'm 4 weeks out (7/11 exam). Still holding out hope for today. Has to be this week. Not sure what is going on. I called them on Mon and they said scores can come out at any time, most of the time on Wed, but doesn't have to be... great. Any news yet from 7/11 takers?

I'm 4 weeks out (7/11 exam). Still holding out hope for today. Has to be this week. Not sure what is going on. I called them on Mon and they said scores can come out at any time, most of the time on Wed, but doesn't have to be... great. Any news yet from 7/11 takers?
Best of luck. 7/19 according to schedule should be today because it's third Wednesday after exam and gave exam on Wednesday.

Tested 7/11 and my score was released today at 11am. I received the e-mail at 10:45 telling me my score would be released.

Reactions: 1 users
Tested 7/11 and my score was released today at 11am. I received the e-mail at 10:45 telling me my score would be released.

That's great news! Congrats. Is there any instance in which there is a partial release for that day?