Official 2017 Comlex Level 2 CE Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mdincorporated

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
lets do this! For those who have taken it, any tips or advice on what you used and worked?

Members don't see this ad.

The good news is that it sucked for all of us! I think the motto of Level 2 this year is "anywhere from 400-600"
Very true. I feel I did enough to pass but not enough to match my level1 score. I don't really care tho. The fields I'm considering care more about step1 than comlex or CK so as long I don't fail or drop significantly on CK, I think I'll have a job in July 2018. Hopefully.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a long wait until Monday/Tuesday...crushing me slowly. And the scores probably aren't even going to come out Monday! what a tease+pity+

Reactions: 1 users
This is a long wait until Monday/Tuesday...crushing me slowly. And the scores probably aren't even going to come out Monday! what a tease+pity+
It will be Tuesday at 5 pm. Just like level 1 last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waiting til Tuesday is agony.

I've been at the bargaining stage of grief for about two weeks now. Please just grant me a 400.

(And please let NBOME have thrown out all that BS ethics and biostats)

I suppose we did. But why would they make this stupid release date window if they were just going to release at the last moment. Its irritating. These tests aren't important and life defining, right? So, no reason to make sure that stress is minimized or worry reduced. Nah, they dont care at all.....

I suppose we did. But why would they make this stupid release date window if they were just going to release at the last moment. Its irritating. These tests aren't important and life defining, right? So, no reason to make sure that stress is minimized or worry reduced. Nah, they dont care at all.....
Nailed it

Sent from my SM-G386T using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Scores up guys.

Did all of conquest and combank averaging high 70s. Comsae a was a 550, and b was a 506.

COMLEX 1 - 680s

COMSAE A 4/30 - 594
COMSAE B 5/30 - 583
COMSAE D 6/9 - 679
COMSAE C 6/17 - 752

COMLEX 2 - 720s

MTB, uworld, comquest, step 2 secrets, OME only for weak areas

Last edited:
Anyone know of a correlation between comsae D and the real deal?

Comsae A: 554
Comsae D: 592

Real thing: 571

Comquest x2, Combank x1, quit uworld after 28% complete.

Let me add that I'm a middle of the road student wanting to go into family medicine. I also did terrible on COMLEX 1 (430s) so if I can increase almost 140 points I know you guys can too. Congrats to all the consistently awesome scorers! And to those like me, I have all the confidence in you to do well!

Last edited:
Comlex 2 - 640
COMSAE A - 498 (week before comlex)

I almost always under perform on my practice exams for some reason...

Studied only for USMLE step 2 (UWORLD, OME, MTB, FA2016) Did some COMBANK questions only for shelf exams, nothing for actual COMLEX studying.

Refused to study OMM until last 2-3 days(and completely skipped anything related to cranial), read savarese, didn't touch biostats since step 1 (was an unfortunate surprise when I took exam!). Did not feel comfortable AT ALL during the exam, felt rushed, not confident. Turns out only section that was borderline was OMM, which was expected.

Biostat was a surprise on the test, but so glad I passed! I felt the sections I did on u world really helped ( as they are my higher scoring sections). So I don't know how it helps, but u world does help :) I barely did any review books. All year was COMBANK COMATS and some u world. Then I did a round of combank, comquest X2, and specific ( weak) sections on u world. COMSAEs don't mean anything for me.

Last edited:
Level 2: 931

Comsae D 813

All I used during third year was Uworld, with COMBANK and Rx thrown in occasionally. Did not use any books because I never found one I liked. Made notecards for uworld stuff I didn't know and did those every day. Reset Uworld 6 weeks out and re-did it. Had one week of "dedicated". Uworld is the way to go!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Hey guys, just got my scores back from 6/26/17 exam and scored a 702.

I had 2-3 months of non dedicated study time (which I know is more than most people but glad I put it in)
I used step up to step 2, online meded, uWorld, COMBANK, and usmleRX
I took both (or just 1?) uWorld assessment(s)

I had gotten through most of onlinemeded and step up to step 2 during my clerkship rotations throughout the year. By the time I had started non-dedicated studying It was basically just reviewing the summaries from onlinemeded and breezing through step up to step 2 for clarifications. I was not a big fan of step up to step 2 but I did think online meded was good, although at times pretty heavy on details.

By far the best study approach IMO is uWorld and COMBANK. I went through each 2x and then reset again and went through rapidly a couple 100?s in the week leading up to the exam. I cant recall but I was hitting 80-90%s pretty consistently in my final weeks of studying.

I did not do a COMSAT but did do the uWorld assessments which I got around 255 for both.

In my mind EASILY the biggest thing was nerves/anxiety. Obviously there's no real fix and I can not tell you really why I felt much more comfortable this time around compared to Level 1. Probably the familiarity from Level 1 and that I tested near home (big difference for me in terms of comfort). Just try to be confident and remember you are smart and capable! thats why you're going to be a DO! you can do it (sorry for the cliche enthusiastic remarks but I am feeling pretty enthusiastic lol)

If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them as best as I can. And for the record my level 1 score was not too hot so a big jump is possible!

Goodluck yall, you got this!

edited: grammar sucks

Comsae D 813

All I used during third year was Uworld, with COMBANK and Rx thrown in occasionally. Did not use any books because I never found one I liked. Made notecards for uworld stuff I didn't know and did those every day. Reset Uworld 6 weeks out and re-did it. Had one week of "dedicated". Uworld is the way to go!
You may not have missed a question. Post your bar graph. It's probably ridiculous to look at.

Comsae D 813

This is the highest I've seen. Congrats

Congrats to all that are done!
COMLEX 1: 720-730 range
COMLEX 2: 730-740 range

I didn't take any COMSAEs except for the school mandated one that I really didn't look at. I felt that end of rotation exams helped me to study a lot as well as OME and Step Up for my weaker areas.

Congrats to all on the excellent scores!

Does anyone have advice on what are the best resources to use with very limited dedicated time? My school gives us NO vacation time during 4th year, and I will have at most 2.5 weeks of dedicated :/ If it helps, my COMAT scores were sitting around average for most with surgery and FM being higher and then for some reason I did very poorly on peds (as in, a few points away from failing).

Last edited:

Does anyone have advice on what are the best resources to use with very limited dedicated time? My school gives us NO vacation time during 4th year, and I will have at most 2.5 weeks of dedicated :/ If it helps, my COMAT scores were sitting around average for most with surgery and FM being the highest and then for some reason I did very poorly on peds (as in, a few points away from failing).
You should out your school.

Does anyone have advice on what are the best resources to use with very limited dedicated time? My school gives us NO vacation time during 4th year, and I will have at most 2.5 weeks of dedicated :/ If it helps, my COMAT scores were sitting around average for most with surgery and FM being the highest and then for some reason I did very poorly on peds (as in, a few points away from failing).
Secrets is a good quick resource. Only like 250 pages and small enough to carry everywhere. Go through uworld and combank or comquest for your weakest areas (i.e. Peds especially because COMLEX is peds heavy). Listen to OME if you are driving places. Also don't spend too much time on OMM. know the basics and use these videos for VS and chapman's:

Well, I finished it. Just gotta hope I passed. That was a brutal whirlwind of bizarre questions and vague stems. COMSAEs were 564 (A) and 604 (D). I felt neither was really representative of the exam in content, but in structure, they were very similar.

Got my score back today and scored in the mid 500s, which is just over a 100 point jump in score from Level 1 for me. It can be done! Congrats to all who got their scores back today!

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys, I received my score today and wanted to share...

COMLEX
Level 1: 550s
COMSAE D: 611 (1 week prior)
Level 2: 720s

I did COMBANK questions for each shelf, used case Files and OME throughout 3rd year. I listened to Emma's reviews, DIT and MTB. In terms of Q's- COMBANK (did COMQUEST for level 1) then UWORLD. What I did differently-make flashcards and read/build up on them, questions questions especially UWORLD (I did like 60% for level 1). Also, try to learn from your patients' conditions as much as you can, that's how I remember topics best. I had about 4 weeks of dedicated study time but would say I started focusing on boards about a month prior while on rotations.

Good luck! It can be done!

Last edited:
Got my score back today. 850s level 2. Level 1 680s. Step 1 253, step 2 272 for reference. OME and UW mainly. You can look at the step 2 thread post I put up for more detail. Did combank comat questions occasionally during the year but only finished one of the banks during the year. Watched the DIT omm section. It was worth it again this year (I usually suck at omm). Bought but never used comquest. Feel free to ask any questions. Oh, comsae form D (I think) said 640 about a week out and I barely got any studying in prior to the exam. So probably not a ton of correlation.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Got my score back today and scored in the mid 500s, which is just over a 100 point jump in score from Level 1 for me. It can be done! Congrats to all who got their scores back today!

Way to go! I'm actually in the exact same boat (100 point jump into mid 500's). So yes, it definitely can be done.

Well, I finished it. Just gotta hope I passed. That was a brutal whirlwind of bizarre questions and vague stems. COMSAEs were 564 (A) and 604 (D). I felt neither was really representative of the exam in content, but in structure, they were very similar.
Took it yesterday as well. Far too much OMM questions - felt like I got the number of OMM that previous takers got in ethics, random biostats questions, and just vague, crappy questions. Hoping for at least 550+ but I did not feel comfortable in some parts of that exam. OMM is not my favorite either.

Step 1: 251
Step 2 CK: 265

Level 1: 695
Level 2: 803

NBME 3: 258, NBME 7: 237, NBME 6: 249

UWSA 1 & 2: 264

The UWorld assessments were definitely more predictive for me than the NBMEs. I basically studied throughout the year for the shelf exams. I ended up getting honors in all of my shelf exams (COMATs). Used UWorld, Combank, and OnlineMedEd as my main resources. I felt like I learned the most by doing questions. I used most of my studying time going over the explanations in UWorld (even if I got the questions right). The questions I got wrong from UWorld, I would annotate them in First Aid for Step 2 CK book. However, I did not have much time to go back and re-read this annotated information. I had about less than three weeks of dedicated studying time, and re-did about 70% of UWorld and re-watched most of the internal medicine OME videos. Below is a list of resources I used for each shelf exam.

Psychiatry: First Aid for Psych, psych chapter of FA for step 2, UWorld, Combank, UT Emma Holliday videos, OME
Family Medicine: Ambulatory section of step up to medicine, Combank, free AAFP questions
Internal Medicine: some sections of step up to medicine, UWorld, Combank, UT Emma Holliday videos, OME
Surgery: UWorld, Combank, OME, Pestana’s
Ob/Gyn: UWorld, Combank, OME, UWise modules, Ob/Gyn chapter of FA for step 2
Pediatrics: UWorld, Combank, OME, UT Emma Holliday videos, peds chapter of FA for step 2

Hope this helps and let me know if you guys have any questions!

Took the tests June 22nd and June 26th

USMLE 1: 240+
COMLEX 1: 600+

USMLE 2: 250+
COMLEX 2: 750+

Prepared for Step 2 and Level 2 considerably less than I did for Step 1 and Level 1. I was pleasantly surprised with my results. Only went through UWorld once and did not use along side my rotations. I used OME throughout the year. I used Bro's anki deck for medicine only and feel like it gave me a decent foundation and then made my own anki deck as I went through UWorld. My average was 72% on timed random. My UWAS1 242 UWAS2 249. COMSAE D/E (can't remember which one) 678.

I was definitely burned out from step 1 last year and had a tough time bringing myself to care about these tests. This past month I was worried that might come back to bite me and ruin my chances for ortho. I was pleased to see that it did not. So honestly UWorld is all you need and I feel like only one pass is necessary if you want to score around what I did on USMLE. However, I feel like if 2 passes is necessary to really master the content to score above the 260/270 threshold. Regardless I hope my Level 2 makes up for my lower Level 1 and makes me a little more competitive for my ortho application. I feel lik my USMLE are solid enough for the DO ortho programs to help me if any programs begin to look at them for the ACGME merger.

I am a pretty normal medical student, so my scores are to encourage the "normals" out there.

level 1: 460's (yikes, don't really know what happened other than I tried to use DIT and it really backfired/didn't work for me.)

Level 2 time:
COMSAE D (2 months out): 415
COMSAE C (18 days out): 472
COMSAE A (1 week out): 551
Level 2: 550's

Happy with the score for sure. It might not be in the 600's or 700's but felt like it's important to include my score so everyone looking at SDN as a new 3rd doesn't think "oh geez if I don't get a 600+ I am a failure".

Best pieces of advice:
1) study the entire year like you mean it. Use UW and Comquest/Combank throughout the year for your shelves.
- there is no such thing as "wasting your UW questions." The only thing that really correlates with your mastery of the material is how many questions you get through.
- When you go through questions, STUDY EVERYTHING that is written down in the explanation. It is important and included for a reason.
- If you can make Anki cards from UW, I HIGHLY recommend it.

2) Online Med Ed: I used this the PDFs as my book. None of the textbooks are going to be as inclusive as you want them to be (like step 1/level 1 with FA). What I saw quite a few of my classmates do was overcompensate and use 3-4 books. Choose 1-2 and stick with it. The more textbooks you read, the more time you take away from doing questions... and remember that Questions are the #1 most important thing to do...period.

If you are an average friggin medical student and you have more specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 11 users
hey everyone,
i just want someone to tell me what should I do in 3 weeks that I can pass this test. I see these big guns posting their achievements, and i'm happy that their potential helped them with superb outcomes . I know there are different approaches, when it comes to acing vs passing the test . I am planning on doing comquest and have the quicktables book from OME, that's all i got . I just wanna do these two well and get that passing score. Do ya'll think that's enough to pass the LEvel 2

hey everyone,
i just want someone to tell me what should I do in 3 weeks that I can pass this test. I see these big guns posting their achievements, and i'm happy that their potential helped them with superb outcomes . I know there are different approaches, when it comes to acing vs passing the test . I am planning on doing comquest and have the quicktables book from OME, that's all i got . I just wanna do these two well and get that passing score. Do ya'll think that's enough to pass the LEvel 2

Same formula as everyone above has described but you have less time.

Savarese, UWORLD, +/- COMBANK... do not neglect OMM, there was A LOT on my exam.... like at times I wondered if I was just taking an OMM test. Review basic biostats (FA topics), bioethics.

Reactions: 2 users