Official 2017 COMLEX Level 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roxas

Giggity!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright friends, let's do this.

I'm planning on sitting sometime in late June (COMLEX only). FA 2017 is on the way, starting UWorld in January and Combank around April.

Feel free to share and help keep each other accountable until we slay the beast.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
The 100s of others who aren't posting probably didn't score anywhere near that range... so 644 isn't more down to earth. Still killed it dude :highfive:
Haha fair enough. I guess seeing the high 700s made even me hesitant to post so I figured by posting, that threshold can keep getting lowered. Hence the "bit". But thanks homie :D

Reactions: 1 user
COMSAE A: 580-600 (1 month out)
COMSAE E: 630-50 (1 week out)
COMLEX: 670's (ecstatic with this score!)

COMBANK: ~74% average for first pass

Hope this helps folks who are wondering how COMSAE/COMBANK compare to COMELX.

I thought combank mimicked the test decently well, not exactly like it, but close.

Reactions: 1 users
COMSAE A-418
COMSAE B-475
COMSAE E-599
COMSAE D-675
COMSAE C- 634
COMBANK Self Assessment- 86% correct
Real Deal - 624

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
COMSAE D - 486
COMSAE A - 549
real deal - 513

For future test takers: Overall, the questions were way harder than comsae. And a good amount that you could not prepare for (step 2 management questions, microbio not mentioned in first aid, etc). I came out positive that I failed. Good luck

USMLE: 253
COMLEX: 788

I only took COMSAE E administered by my school, and that was 702. My NBMEs were all 250-252 with one minor outlier of 257. So my USMLE is right in line with my practice scores, but I have no idea how the hell I got my COMLEX score. Ecstatic and shocked.

Great scores. Congratulations! Any clue how many questions you think you for sure missed on COMLEX?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

USMLE: 253
COMLEX: 788

I only took COMSAE E administered by my school, and that was 702. My NBMEs were all 250-252 with one minor outlier of 257. So my USMLE is right in line with my practice scores, but I have no idea how the hell I got my COMLEX score. Ecstatic and shocked.
Congrats!! Those are awesome scores!! What are the study resources did u use?

Same trend over here as the USMLE thread, the posts indicate a way higher average than reality. In my opinion, the more helpful information would be whether a practice test is better or worse correlated to the real score. On that note, my experience being NBME is well correlated to USMLE, but you need more than three practice tests to get a reasonable average. COMSAE, on the other hand, is more or less unhelpful other than indicate whether you'd pass or not. If you scored anywhere beyond 500 initially, passing should not be in doubt.

Great scores. Congratulations! Any clue how many questions you think you for sure missed on COMLEX?

I'm really not sure. After USMLE I began to check the questions I either felt I got wrong or felt could go either way, and got kind of frustrated with the mistakes I made. Made me feel like I would get 10 points less than my NBMEs. So I didn't do that after COMLEX at all to avoid that feeling, and I don't know what I missed.

That said, if you take both exams I can say that it is probably a good idea to review questions from whichever one you take first. I had several questions on COMLEX that were virtually identical to what I had just seen on USMLE, and looking up those answers made it easier to answer them on COMLEX.

Congrats!! Those are awesome scores!! What are the study resources did u use?

UFAP + Brosencephalon. I did a little bit of Sketchy Micro and I think it's great, but I felt like it was spreading me too thin so I cut it out pretty early. I wanted to put all my focus on a few resources only. I used Bros the entire year along with classes, and I followed along with FA during my first pass through the deck. Pathoma I also used the entire year along with classes. I probably should have done a second pass of it during dedicated (or at least the first 3 chapters), but I didn't. Started UW on January 1 and went through it in one pass only, VERY SLOWLY, marking up FA with its info and adding plenty of cards to my Bros deck. I felt like I only needed one pass because I studied its explanations diligently and reviewed its info often. I always (ALWAYS) had FA open next to me while studying, and if I had just done a question on, say, hemochromatosis, I would re-read that topic in FA (along with whatever notes I'd added) again.... even if I'd already read it a dozen times. So I never actually picked up FA and read the GI section through (tried... couldn't do it), but I felt like I read FA many times because I would read single topics in that GI section often and repeatedly. If that makes sense.

My two main steady resources were UW and Bros. A lot of my classmates kinda smirked when I told them I used Bros every day and it was my main resource, but I thought it did an amazing job of getting little tiny details stuck in my head. I mean, it's basically just FA and Pathoma in one giant collection of cards.... How could it be bad?

I do wish I'd have done more questions outside of UW. Rx is great to use along with classes, especially early in the year, because the questions are pretty basic and help to hammer home the foundation. Kaplan qbank was surprisingly good. The explanations aren't great, but the questions themselves are really good, I thought. There was actually a question that was almost word for word the same on both USMLE and COMLEX that I got right because I'd had a similar question on Kaplan. COMBANK was a waste, except for the OMM questions. I think it's best to do Rx early, and then Kaplan and COMBANK OMM later on. I finished less than 50% of all of those qbanks, but oh well.

One more: Dr. Raymon's pharm videos. I'm not sure that they're essential, but I used them along with my pharm classes and I thought he was awesome. He explained the why of pharm much better than my professors did, and that helped me a lot, I think. Didn't watch them again during dedicated, just used FA, Bros, and qbanks to get that pharm info down solid.

The biggest hole that my study method caused was in physio. It's hard to review physio well with this outline. It wasn't a big problem on COMLEX, but I'm beginning to think this may be why I could never get over the low 250s hump with NBMEs/USMLE. If I could go back in time I would try to find some resource (BRS Physio, maybe?) to supplement for physio.

For us mere mortals on this website =)

Step 1 : 225 (way underperformed my NBMEs)
Comlex: 563

Felt Comlex was infinitely more straight forward than my June 5th Step. Felt like FA/Uworld prepared me well for it. I didn't buy any Comsaes or Combanks, and though OMM was my lowest score, it was "borderline" (I felt my school did well preparing us for 50% of the OMM).

Step came out of left field for me. I didn't think it was similar to NBME or Uworld. Never felt comfortable on any answer, and on many, many questions felt like it was a 50/50. NBMEs were in the 235~ range towards the end.

Oh well! I am done and looking at EM, so will do my best for Step 2/Level 2!

Congrats all

Reactions: 5 users
I wonder why there is such a big range for 99th percentile?

I.e. According to that percentile calculator, From like 710 to whatever the comlex goes up to is 99th. You'd think they'd just readjust the percentiles

Members don't see this ad :)
Random serious question: How did you guys train your bladder and not risk taking an "unexcused break"/get reported to NBOME. 2 hours before a break might be too much for my poor bladder to handle.

I'm not a coffee drinking so I didn't have that problem. But I did decrease my intake of liquids the morning of just because of nerves/stress. So, if there's nothing going into the tank, there's nothing coming out haha. But to answer your question. I didn't need to do anything training.

I've used this thread and forum a lot to compile advice throughout medical school. Here's my attempt to pay it forward.

TL; DR

Learning the material well during 1st and 2nd year coursework is paramount to success on Step 1. Above all else, it’s my sincere belief that this contributed to my score the most—without that initial investment, reviewing would not have been nearly as productive. Supplement studying during systems with Pathoma and Sketchy Medical as they are pertinent. My recommendations for board-specific study are as follows: complete all Kaplan questions along with their respective system (e.g., cardio during cardio). Finish Kaplan by the end of winter break (5 months out). Start USMLE Rx, completing 25-50 questions per day. Finish Rx by the end of March (2 months out) and begin UWorld. Complete 40-80 questions per day and finish UW a week before test day. Track your questions and percent correct using Excel and aim to complete around 10,000 questions total. The last week should be spent reviewing weaker topics, reviewing Sketchy, and doing Anki cards if you have them. Sprinkle in all the NBME practice exams and UW self-assessments to track your progress along the way.

Scores

I found it helpful (if only to ease my anxiety) to compare my scores to those of students in prior years. This can serve as a general gauge as to where you stand, but by no means should you consider it precise. Performance on test day relies on a decent amount of luck (between sleep, stamina, questions aimed at your strengths, etc.). Sometimes the chips don’t fall your way. Better to be over prepared and get unlucky than to be under prepared and get unlucky.

Kaplan (throughout 2nd year, finished in early January): 64%
USMLE Rx (January and February): 74%
UW 1st pass (started beginning of March, finished end of April): 70%
UW 2nd pass (only about 1000 questions): 84%
NBME 13 (12 weeks out): 221
NBME 15 (7 weeks out): 240
NBME 16 (5 weeks out): 234
NBME 17 (4 weeks out): 240
UWSA 1 (3.5 weeks out): 251
COMSAE D (3.5 weeks out): 659
UWSA 2 (2 weeks out): 247
NBME 18 (5 days out): 257
USMLE: 238
COMLEX: 765

Addendum: I’ll also comment on the correlation between MCAT and Step 1 for those that are interested (I know that I was). MCAT and Step 1 are drastically different exams. The MCAT felt like it relied much more on test-taking ability, whereas Step 1, while also relying heavily on testing abilities, relied much more on your foundational knowledge of the material. I applied to medical school with a 30 on the MCAT. I say this to acknowledge that I’m not inherently “good” at taking standardized tests. I did not do well on the SAT either. But as you can see, a 238 on Step 1 is a significant improvement relative to a 30 MCAT (30 on the MCAT was well below the mean of 33 for accepted MD students, whereas 238 is well above mean for MD students on step 1). This is important because you should realize that your MCAT score is not destiny—if you felt discouraged by the MCAT, know that you can work hard and learn the material well and still succeed on Step 1. By the same token, just because you did well on the MCAT does not mean that you are “guaranteed” a high score on Step 1. This exam requires preparation and understanding of a large swath of material, and while test taking abilities will certainly help, they are not entirely sufficient.

Systems Coursework

Learning the material well during 1st and 2nd year courses is by far the best preparation for boards. I had a general plan of attack that I followed for each system. First, watch Pathoma before any of your pathology lectures. I preferred watching these before learning the material because Dr. Sattar does such a fabulous job at explaining pathology, even as an introduction to the material. Try and follow the mantra of preview, learn, review: preview the material (Pathoma), give yourself a day, learn the material (read about the topic in your class notes/textbook), give yourself 2-3 days, then review (notes, review book, Anki, etc.). This allows your brain to synthesize and store the information in a manner that is most efficient and longest-lasting (spaced repetition). After watching Pathoma I would wait a day (if time permitted, which it wouldn’t always) then study the material from our class notes/Robbins. I would make Anki cards on the 2nd pass of the material. Then, after a few more days, I would continue to review the material via synthesized notes and reviewing Anki cards. Rapid Review Pathology was also very useful at this review stage. I would watch the relevant Sketchy Medical videos as the topics arose. Towards the end of each system I would complete the Kaplan questions specific to that system.

Board-specific prep

Aside from the Kaplan questions at the end of each system, I would not recommend doing any board-specific studying until about December of 2nd year. At that time, I set a goal to complete the remaining Kaplan questions by the beginning of January. Once finished with Kaplan, I began doing about 25 questions/day (always random, timed) from USMLE Rx with a goal of finishing them all by the end of February. In the beginning of March, I started my first pass of UW, doing 40-80 questions per day (random, timed). I would spend an hour doing a set of 40 questions and about 2 hours reviewing the questions (referencing topics in FA/Pathoma). After finishing the first pass, I started a second run-through towards the end of April, with the intention of taking the exam early June. We were practically done with school mid-May, so I had 2-3 weeks of uninterrupted study time. This was more than enough (literally, I wish I would have taken the exam a week earlier) given the preparation that I had been doing all year.

Don’t fall into the trap of “I’ll review all of FA and then start doing board questions”. I know it’s tempting, but this is not an efficient way to study. Doing board questions will quickly identify knowledge gaps, whereby you can use FA to fill in those gaps. Passively reading FA will not accomplish this. I spent about 90% of time doing board questions and 10% strictly reviewing (e.g., reading a FA chapter). By doing board questions, I mean spending a decent amount of time reviewing topics (in FA) as they come up in your question sets. For example, if I missed a question on Parkinson’s, I would review the FA section on that topic and the related neurodegenerative disorders. But I practically never just sat down to review a FA chapter.

Having watched all the Pathoma chapters during my coursework was very useful. By the time “board studying” came around, I had already been through the chapters once, and watching them a second time allowed me to synthesize all systems and pick up on minor details. I highly recommend this approach. As boards approach (1-2 months), start trying to identify topics you feel need more work than others. Spend review time going over these chapters in FA/Pathoma/RR Path and making Anki cards on material you feel is pertinent.

In terms of COMLEX-specific prep, I did very little. I bought the obligatory Savarese Green Book, which was useful if you want to be very good at OPP. However, it is by no means necessary to succeed on Level 1. I did not review any of the chapters in Savarese and I only completed the first of five practice exams in the back of the book. I also did about 1000 questions from COMBANK and was averaging 75%. These were useful in terms of exposing yourself to the COMLEX-style question format. I would recommend doing at least 1000 of these questions before taking COMLEX. You’ll pick up all you need to know from the OPP questions they have. OPP never struck a chord for me. I didn’t do well in it during our coursework, didn’t spend a lot of time studying it for boards, and as you can see, my score didn’t suffer because of it. Don’t spend a lot of time stressing about OPP—the questions on the boards are very straight forward. Doing UW helped me build a foundational knowledge that earned me more points on COMLEX than anything else. Even if you plan to only take the COMLEX, I strongly suggest doing UW. The questions can be frustrating, but even if you are doing poorly in terms of percentage, you will be amazed at how much you’re learning. When I went from UW to COMBANK, the questions felt like absolute soft tosses. This translated over to the Level 1 as well, where I felt the caliber of questions was far easier than those in UW or on Step 1.

Advice by virtue of hindsight

Your success does not require that you follow in the exact footsteps of any one student who went before you. I hope that you can appreciate the methods that I used and create a study plan that works best for you. But I cannot overstate this enough: questions, questions, questions. These should be the foundation of your studying. No exceptions. I completed a little over 10,000 questions in total. If I were to do it all over again, I would change only a tiny portion of what I did. The main thing that really stands out to me was my attempt at a second pass of UW. While many people on SDN said that this was worthwhile, I’m not sure that I completely agree. I only did 1000 questions on the second pass because I felt like I remembered too many of the questions. It wasn’t that I necessarily remembered the exact question/answers, but more that you kind of have a feeling about the premise of the question: “I feel like this was one of the trick questions” or “I don’t remember x being an answer, so I’ll rule out that answer choice”. I think this drastically dampens the power of UW. If I had finished UW about a week before taking Step 1, I think that would have been better for me. Plus, it was very time-intensive to complete all 3 questions banks in one semester, let alone try and do UW twice.

Other than that, I have no regrets about my preparation. I felt well-prepared going into test day and for beginning clinical rotations. As for the apparent discrepancy between my practice scores, step 1, and level 1 scores, I have a few thoughts on what happened (not making excuses, just providing advice to others on what to avoid/watch out for). The 257 on NBME 18 may have just been a lucky test. I only missed 12 questions if I remember correctly, but a friend of mine missed something like 18 questions and got a 245. As you can see, at the upper scores, the curve is very steep. I could have had a good guessing day, or a handful of difficult questions could have been more suited to my strengths. Same goes for test day—there are only 280 questions on the exam, so it’s easy to see imagine if you get unlucky or make bad guesses on a handful of questions, that could drop your score significantly. I was also not able to sleep the night before the exam. Talking with friends and those on SDN, it seems that this is not an uncommon occurrence, as one might imagine for an exam that purportedly determines the rest of our career. I didn’t feel that tired on test day, possibly due to the adrenaline flowing strong, but one can’t the effects that sleep deprivation has on decision making. These are obviously “what if” arguments, but my point is that you should do whatever you can to ensure you get a full-night’s sleep before exam day. Adequate sleep can only help.

My point in acknowledging what may have happened is to help others establish realistic expectations of what might happen on test day. You may get exactly the average of your test scores. You may score well above, or you may score well below. Using practice tests should strictly be an approximation—never taken as destiny. In the end, I’m glad that I studied as hard as I did, performed like I did on practice tests so that even in the instance that I “underperformed” on test day, I still earned a 238 (which will certainly only help my application). I would recommend doing everything in your power to ensure you are over prepared so that you can weather a bit of the uncertainty inherent to standardized exams.

NBME by school: 205
NBME 13: 205
NBME 15: 217
NBME 18: 225
NBME 19: 223
Real USMLE: 231
Comlex: 568

Kinda surprised I didn't break 600 on comlex since I was doing pretty well on Combank. At the end of studying, I had done about 50% of combank and had 14 questions left on my first run through Uworld (lol).

Biggest regrets:
1) not doing Uworld twice. I thought I wasn't learning too much from Uworld so I decided that I would do it once and focus on NBMEs and FA. Big mistake. Test felt just like Uworld and I even got a couple of questions that were almost verbatim from Uworld. Not making that mistake for step 2

2) Should have started on a Q bank my 3rd semester. The people in my class who did scored very well.

3)Should have gone through the green OMM book more thoroughly.

Overall happy with the scores. Shooting for either IM or ER

Any advice for the last 4 days leading up to comlex? I sat for step 1 last week. I'd like to keep reviewing my uworld notes 1 more time fully through. Then VS + Chapman's points? Combank purely for OMM questions? I have ~350 questions remaining in my 2nd pass of uworld that I'd like to do a block a day in. Should I be adding anything?

Any advice for the last 4 days leading up to comlex? I sat for step 1 last week. I'd like to keep reviewing my uworld notes 1 more time fully through. Then VS + Chapman's points? Combank purely for OMM questions? I have ~350 questions remaining in my 2nd pass of uworld that I'd like to do a block a day in. Should I be adding anything?

Special tests found in the back of the greenbook/savarese. A poster here recommended it to me and sure enough I had a few questions over them.

I have my exam in 4 days.
COMSAE form A 3 days ago- 581.
COMSAE form C today- 469.
COMBANK avg- 66% (I've only done about 3/4 of it so far)
Should I be worried about taking the exam in 4 days? Any advice on things to focus on in the last few days in general?

I have my exam in 4 days.
COMSAE form A 3 days ago- 581.
COMSAE form C today- 469.
COMBANK avg- 66% (I've only done about 3/4 of it so far)
Should I be worried about taking the exam in 4 days? Any advice on things to focus on in the last few days in general?

Hopefully others chime in so you get extra advice but I think you're fine. Just keep studying, review your worst areas and don't forget to skim the basics to prevent a brain fart. Be sure to read the answer choices and last sentence first because the question stems are long and full of info you don't need.

My personal advice for everyone studying for COMLEX is to gauge your progress with NBMEs, even if you're not taking USMLE. It's the best way to measure your basic science knowledge -- then tack on COMBank for OMM and COMLEX question style.

I say this because COMSAEs are terrible indicators. I got over 100 points higher than my only COMSAE taken one week prior to COMLEX. I have friends who scored 50-100 points lower/higher than their COMSAEs.

I agree that combank omm is one of the best sources for OMM. The video exhibits were not too long either.
Time was the biggest issue for me, and I am one who usually always finishes early. Overall, the questions were a lot more obscure and difficult than combank/comquest and I felt like I couldn't ponder on questions as much as I wanted to because of time.
Definitely feeling unconfident about today's exam but hoping for the best!

I scored in the high 600s and felt good about myself. I know of a dozen+ classmates who scored 700+. For someone wanting to go into a competitive surgical specialty, I suddenly feel like my score isn't good enough.

Is this something to be worried about?

I scored in the high 600s and felt good about myself. I know of a dozen+ classmates who scored 700+. For someone wanting to go into a competitive surgical specialty, I suddenly feel like my score isn't good enough.

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that combank omm is one of the best sources for OMM. The video exhibits were not too long either.
Time was the biggest issue for me, and I am one who usually always finishes early. Overall, the questions were a lot more obscure and difficult than combank/comquest and I felt like I couldn't ponder on questions as much as I wanted to because of time.
Definitely feeling unconfident about today's exam but hoping for the best!

i took it yesterday too and i feel the same way

what subspecialty are you considering?

what surgical specialty are you considering? Seems like 700+ is becoming the norm. But I'm sure a 600+ will get you what you want with some work.

what surgical specialty are you considering? Seems like 700+ is becoming the norm. But I'm sure a 600+ will get you what you want with some work.
Really? The norm? How is that possible if the mean is ~520, meaning 50% of people hit that score. My score still puts me in the high 90th percentile.
I've had a background in ENT but also considering ortho.

What are you even on about? Most AOA surgery positions aren't even remotely averaging a 700.

Really? The norm? How is that possible if the mean is ~520, meaning 50% of people hit that score. My score still puts me in the high 90th percentile.
I've had a background in ENT but also considering ortho.

i'll change my response to: "700+ is becoming less rare".

i'll change my response to: "700+ is becoming less rare".
Yeah. So you changed your useful but factually incorrect statement to a factually correct but useless one. Looking for a career in politics?

Yeah. So you changed your useful but factually incorrect statement to a factually correct but useless one. Looking for a career in politics?
LOOOL I hope Sattar doesn't get offended, because this was the most hilarious post on SDN

For those who took COMLEX already...did you have questions where you had to know the treatment for specific tenderpoints? The green book is really superficial with this and I am not sure if it's worth my time to go back to my OSCEs and memorize all the points and treatment? For example, AL 1-5 and all the different treatment positions, etc.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

For those who took COMLEX already...did you have questions where you had to know the treatment for specific tenderpoints? The green book is really superficial with this and I am not sure if it's worth my time to go back to my OSCEs and memorize all the points and treatment? For example, AL 1-5 and all the different treatment positions, etc.

I think I only had 1-2 questions on the specific topic. I almost want to say it's not worth your time. I did go over the AL 1-5 and the like the night before (I had my opp notes out) the question I got over it was vague. "This body part in this general area hurts, what is the treatment point?" followed by just as vague answer choices. I'm not kidding or avoiding rule breaking, my 1 question really was that vague. Not like the combank where it was specific 1" on the lateral side. So, I wasn't happy with that question.

After the USMLE I could recall so many questions, but after 400 COMLEX questions my brain literally couldn't remember one question...

Yes! Mine was counterstrain heavy though. Like PC2 was on there and I vaguely remembered that was a weird treatment position but when I studied it I thought nah, what are the chances. lol I never looked it up but I would take the time to review the main treatment positions and exceptions.

Yes! Mine was counterstrain heavy though. Like PC2 was on there and I vaguely remembered that was a weird treatment position but when I studied it I thought nah, what are the chances. lol I never looked it up but I would take the time to review the main treatment positions and exceptions.

Ok but what I mean was did you get anything like...
Stand on this side of patient, sidebent towards you, rotate away, flex

Posterior chapmans point locations? HY?

Everyone I've talked to said not to worry as much about the posterior tender points EXCEPT for the appendix, adrenals, and kidneys. If you happen to get a question about any of the other posterior CP's you should be able to make an educated guess as they line up pretty well with the anterior ones (in the thorax anyways..).

I had only 1 posterior chapman point and it was in association with an anterior so it was easy to figure out which was the correct asnwer. I wouldnt worry too much about it.

How similar is the real deal to COMBANK? I just started doing some OMM questions

I personally thought that COMBANK was more straightforward and easier than COMLEX but there are many people who took it before me who said that their exam was similar to COMBANK in both question style and difficulty. Sorry this doesn't help but it seems that opinions on this are individualized and it may be different based on which test everyone took.