Official 2017 COMLEX Level 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roxas

Giggity!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright friends, let's do this.

I'm planning on sitting sometime in late June (COMLEX only). FA 2017 is on the way, starting UWorld in January and Combank around April.

Feel free to share and help keep each other accountable until we slay the beast.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, in case anyone's interested, I found out from the NBOME folks that the COMSAE is scored on a 9-999 scale, mean of ~460 and SD of ~90, compared to the COMLEX, which is scored up to 871 and has (according to the COMLEX percentile calculator on the NBOME website) a mean of ~510 and SD of ~90.

Nahhhh 600 and 250 are both 85th percentile respectively
Yeah but consider the testing demographics. Most people score 15-20 percentile points higher on COMLEX, if they take both. Tons of folks get 600+ at DO schools. The 250s are few and far between.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just took E, I can easily say my omt skill need work good performance on all except omt I got poor lol and I mean as in missed just about every question .

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I can easily say that the OMT in Formay was much easier than inform P and I really think that hurt. Because OMT on form A was actually one of my higher performance

Yeah but consider the testing demographics. Most people score 15-20 percentile points higher on COMLEX, if they take both. Tons of folks get 600+ at DO schools. The 250s are few and far between.
I see what you're saying, you're right. I guess I need to go review biostats again lol.

Yes once 2 weeks ago lol there was stuff on there that I have ever seen. Random chapman points

I'm sure you'll be fine if you can do as well as you did even with getting a lot of the OMM wrong. Have you seen the youtube videos for Chapman's and viscerosomatics? Savarese doesn't list too many of the C points but they seem to love to ask the really weird/not intuitive ones.

I'm sure you'll be fine if you can do as well as you did even with getting a lot of the OMM wrong. Have you seen the youtube videos for Chapman's and viscerosomatics? Savarese doesn't list too many of the C points but they seem to love to ask the really weird/not intuitive ones.

I hate to be that guy but I'm going to be that guy. Can you please provide a link? And then all honesty the green book is great if you do it a few days before hand that definitely help me get a few questions on my first comsae

I hate to be that guy but I'm going to be that guy. Can you please provide a link? And then all honesty the green book is great if you do it a few days before hand that definitely help me get a few questions on my first comsae

It's cool. You're not really being that guy. I bet some lurkers wanna get in on it, too.

Anterior points:

Viscerosomatics:

You can check out the related videos... there are some for posterior points and other similar videos. Hope it helps especially if you're visual. I haven't thoroughly read Savarese yet but hoping I can brush up on some basics, I always get stumped by sacral diagnosis haha.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's cool. You're not really being that guy. I bet some lurkers wanna get in on it, too.

Anterior points:

Viscerosomatics:

You can check out the related videos... there are some for posterior points and other similar videos. Hope it helps especially if you're visual. I haven't thoroughly read Savarese yet but hoping I can brush up on some basics, I always get stumped by sacral diagnosis haha.

I appreciate It. I am very visual. I actually got good at sacrum and there was none on formE,

If I am only going to take one COMSAE, which one is considered the best? Or, would it be better to do a COMBANK practice test?

If I am only going to take one COMSAE, which one is considered the best? Or, would it be better to do a COMBANK practice test?

Form A was recently removed and updated, so maybe that would be a good one to take if you can only do one? I took Form C (available to purchase) and Form D (only available for schools to purchase, I think) and felt like they were basically the same in terms of the types of questions asked, general breadth of topics covered, etc. I haven't taken Form A yet though. Maybe other people have more inside info to share!

Form A was recently removed and updated, so maybe that would be a good one to take if you can only do one? I took Form C (available to purchase) and Form D (only available for schools to purchase, I think) and felt like they were basically the same in terms of the types of questions asked, general breadth of topics covered, etc. I haven't taken Form A yet though. Maybe other people have more inside info to share!
wait how recent ? i just took last friday

Guys, a little off topic.
I want to ask if Canada Qbank for usmle step 1 decent for usmle step 1. I just need a practice qbank. I already did Uworld, kap qbank, becker qbank. I will finish Rx by this month end. I desperately need a qbank for my last month of preparation. Please guide urgently friends. Thanks.

I want to ask if Canada Qbank for usmle step 1 decent for usmle step 1. I just need a practice qbank. I already did Uworld, kap qbank, becker qbank. I will finish Rx by this month end. I desperately need a qbank for my last month of preparation. Please guide urgently friends. Thanks.
good lord, how long have you been prepping ? and have you gone through uworld twice ? pasttest

good lord, how long have you been prepping ? and have you gone through uworld twice ? pasttest
Yes will finish Uworld 2nd pass in next 5 days hopefully. Brothers and sisters need more inputs please asap!! Canada qbank for step 1 vs other qbank.

Yes will finish Uworld 2nd pass in next 5 days hopefully. Brothers and sisters need more inputs please asap!! Canada qbank for step 1 vs other qbank.
how long till your test ? and how long have you been prepping ?like i said look up pasttest usmle

I personally would redo uworld and take your time and really understand everything. Given that you have finished so many qbanks, I'm concerned that you are just completing questions for completeness sake, instead of learning. I know plenty of friends that didn't even get though uworld once and scored 260+. They all just took their time and understood EVERYTHING that uwolrd had taught them. Also, do practice NBME/NBOME to see where you are at.

Also, in case anyone's interested, I found out from the NBOME folks that the COMSAE is scored on a 9-999 scale, mean of ~460 and SD of ~90, compared to the COMLEX, which is scored up to 871 and has (according to the COMLEX percentile calculator on the NBOME website) a mean of ~510 and SD of ~90.

These COMSAE's seem super shady in terms of the scoring. Took Form E last week and scored a 559, yet the average is supposed to by 460? It seems like most people are scoring pretty high on these, or that the curve is so wacky that +/- 10 questions right or wrong bumps your score up or down by 100 points.

For reference, my baseline is a 215 on NBME15 taken two weeks ago. Taking NBME 16 tomorrow

These COMSAE's seem super shady in terms of the scoring. Took Form E last week and scored a 559, yet the average is supposed to by 460? It seems like most people are scoring pretty high on these, or that the curve is so wacky that +/- 10 questions right or wrong bumps your score up or down by 100 points.

For reference, my baseline is a 215 on NBME15 taken two weeks ago. Taking NBME 16 tomorrow
i bombed the omm portion so i think you are right . I though E wasnt bad at all except omt on it

Where did you see the average for it? Yea I agree though, somehow I got a 685 on it which didnt really make sense to me (im nowhere near that high percentile wise on usmle things)

i bombed the omm portion so i think you are right . I though E wasnt bad at all except omt on it

I thought the physiology was somewhat vague and tough. At least different from Uworld's type of physiology questions. But yeah, overall it wasn't bad. I crammed OMM a couple days before the test and did well in that section. Gonna do the same thing for Comlex, taking Step 1 June 8th, cram OPP and take Comlex June 13th.

Where did you see the average for it? Yea I agree though, somehow I got a 685 on it which didnt really make sense to me (im nowhere near that high percentile wise on usmle things)

I was quoting from "Anondo" who posted those stats above on this page. I think it's just super variable with a wide range of +/-. Our school faculty advisor said that people around my COMSAE score of 559 have scored anywhere between the upper 400s to over 600. It's that variable. It's not like NBMEs where if you get 230+, you know you're doing pretty well and you know your score isn't a fluke (at least for most people).

On the bottom of the feedback page for the COMSAE it says that the average is usually around 460 and the standard deviation is usually around 90. I'm not sure I trust that, and I don't know anything about how predictive the COMSAE is of COMLEX performance. Anecdotally, it seems like the NBME exams are a better performance assessment, but I have no real data to back that up.

Any idea why COMSAE B is not longer available on the nbome site?

I bought it up to my class and a classmate called them. Here's what my classmate said "called their customer service line, it's discontinued for the next few months, new one will be done at the end of 2017"

I bought it up to my class and a classmate called them. Here's what my classmate said "called their customer service line, it's discontinued for the next few months, new one will be done at the end of 2017"
in other words it doesnt help us

YUP! My exact thoughts. It's not like I wanted all 3 or anything so that I could prepare myself /sarcasm.
i just take them to get used to the way they ask questions. its very unique to say the least

its close but combank i thought was more random, nit picky,

Have you taken A yet ? ive seen that it has been recently updatd, so it may be more predictive. what you mess up on ?
I'm saving A for week or so out from test day. My school is administering D on Wednesday and I need to get a passing score, so hopefully I'm consistent.

By biggest weakness overall is path by far, but also biochem (meh), healthcare delivery issues (not really sure what that even means), and H/P.

I'm saving A for week or so out from test day. My school is administering D on Wednesday and I need to get a passing score, so hopefully I'm consistent.

By biggest weakness overall is path by far, but also biochem (meh), healthcare delivery issues (not really sure what that even means), and H/P.
so the health care and delivery thing is basically the next step questions or the clinical questions of what test to run. better start on that pathoma though for path and lastly i took E and from what ive been told from other people E under predicts D is usually on point

What score do you need for D?

I'm not doing too great but I was able to get a 400 and I got that when I was only halfway through FA. I felt that it was a fair range of questions, meaning it wasn't super heavy on one particular topic or section. The only bad thing my class as a whole found with it was that it tested us on old pharm drugs. Some of us wrote down the questions because we had never seen those meds before and bugged our pharm professor. We showed her the questions and answers, her response was nice. "Really? Those were the answers? They don't even sell these drugs in the US anymore".

What score do you need for D?

I'm not doing too great but I was able to get a 400 and I got that when I was only halfway through FA. I felt that it was a fair range of questions, meaning it wasn't super heavy on one particular topic or section. The only bad thing my class as a whole found with it was that it tested us on old pharm drugs. Some of us wrote down the questions because we had never seen those meds before and bugged our pharm professor. We showed her the questions and answers, her response was nice. "Really? Those were the answers? They don't even sell these drugs in the US anymore".
Some how this doesnt suprise me . What were one of the drugs ? Our pharm prof constantly tested us on drugs that havent been in use since the early 90s