Official 2017 COMLEX Level 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roxas

Giggity!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright friends, let's do this.

I'm planning on sitting sometime in late June (COMLEX only). FA 2017 is on the way, starting UWorld in January and Combank around April.

Feel free to share and help keep each other accountable until we slay the beast.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
USMLE: 223
COMLEX: 589

Looking to do Internal Med, General Surgery, or Neurology atm.

About the merger: I'm a little unclear about how the application process goes for those AOA programs that will become part of the ACGME match by 2019, a year before the full merger in 2020. If I was to apply to lets say General Surgery in the ACGME match, I would still be able to apply to the recently accredited ACGME Gen Surg, former AOA Gen Surg residencies, correct?

Point being, you can apply to ACGME match but still apply to many "newly accredited ACGME residencies" that were former solely AOA residencies. Right?

USMLE 216 (below practice tests)
COMLEX 621 (way above practice tests)

Good news for comlex, but not sure what that means for me for matching. Probably should focus on programs that used to be AOA.

COMSAE C: 602 - 2 weeks before exam
COMSAE E: 657 - 1 week before exam
COMLEX 6/23 - 601

I honestly felt as if my score was going to be higher. I walked out of that exam confident. I'm not quite sure what happened but I don't think a 601 is something to complain about. Stronger likelihood that I misinterpreted questions rather than a scoring error, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my COMLEX level 1 score back today a little after noon. I was pretty depressed when I got my USMLE score but hopefully my COMLEX score will still make me competitive for past AOA residencies. I'm hoping to get into Ophthalmology.

USMLE - 226
COMLEX - 646

Reactions: 1 users
Top 15% of my class. Spent 6 weeks studying for boards with UFAPS + physeo. Glanced at savarese a few times before step, but didn't really start studying OMM until after step, and two days before COMLEX

COMSAE D: 594
COMSAE C: 595

Actual COMLEX: 647

From everyone I know, COMSAE underestimates you score by alot

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to help out for those trying to "correlate" COMSAE's to COMLEX. Took Level 1 the third week of June. Did not take USMLE.

COMSAE A (5/15): >580
COMSAE E (5/26): >670
COMSAE C (6/12): >540
COMLEX Level 1: 581

Did not use UWorld. Used COMBANK/COMQUEST and USMLE-Rx express videos to get me through FA17. Supplemented with Pathoma and Sketchy. I thought Sketchy was a must, particularly for my exam. Read Savarese about 1 week prior to COMLEX. For other non-traditional students out there with families and mortgages, it is definitely doable. Not sure what happened with COMSAE E and the real deal. A and C seem to be a bit more on point. Only thing I can think of is decay of knowledge from the material I first began to cover.

Edit: spelling

Which qbank did you find to be more helpful in preparing you for COMLEX? COMBANK or COMQUEST?

USMLE: 266
COMLEX: 926

Spent 6-7 weeks dedicated studying for boards. Uworld, FA, pathoma, and DIT. Took the comlex 7 days after the usmle. During that time period I did about 500 comquest questions (including all of the OMM qs), read through Savarese "green book" twice and did all of the practice qs.

Most important thing that I cant emphasize enough is the learning the material well the first time (ie while being taught in school). I found it very difficult to learn things I had not seen while studying during years 1 and 2. All to often I think people get caught up worrying about board studying (especially during year two) and then do not focus on their school studies. If you learn it well the first time it will easily come back during board review/dedicated period.

Reactions: 3 users
USMLE: 266
COMLEX: 926

Spent 6-7 weeks dedicated studying for boards. Uworld, FA, pathoma, and DIT. Took the comlex 7 days after the usmle. During that time period I did about 500 comquest questions (including all of the OMM qs), read through Savarese "green book" twice and did all of the practice qs.

Most important thing that I cant emphasize enough is the learning the material well the first time (ie while being taught in school). I found it very difficult to learn things I had not seen while studying during years 1 and 2. All to often I think people get caught up worrying about board studying (especially during year two) and then do not focus on their school studies. If you learn it well the first time it will easily come back during board review/dedicated period.

I am sorry you didnt score too high on COMLEX

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

COMSAE D - 732
Uworld - 85.5%
(finished with qbank)
NBME 13 - 250 (7 weeks from test day)
NBME 19 - 250 (5 weeks out- curve was harsh! ~93% correct)
NBME 15 - 252 ( 4 weeks out - 15 incorrect)
NBME 17 - 263 (18 days out - 8 incorrect)
UWSA 1 - 269 (10 days out - 20 incorrect)
NBME 18 - 263 ( 6 days out - 11 incorrect)
UWSA - 260 ( 3 days out - 20 incorrect)

REAL USMLE - 260
REAL COMLEX - 846

I will answer any questions people have. All I can say is study hard during your first two years and truly understand the material. The rest is history. Hope everyone got the scores they wanted!

COMLEX: 626
USMLE: 246

Overall, I am extremely happy with my scores. I did a happy dance when this last years match data showed that I am competitive for most specialties with these scores (research and other factors not included, of course). I have to admit though that I studied my butt off for USMLE and come time for COMLEX (I had 2 days between), I was so worn out. Overall, I can't complain!

Congratulations to everyone who got their scores back today!

Hi all. Congratulations to everyone who got their scores back today!

I didn't take any COMSAE practice exams other than the one administered by our school. I also only took 2 NBMEs and both the UWSAs.
Here's my breakdown:
NBME (school administered): 180
COMSAE (school administered): 564
NBME 15: 200
NBME 16: 213
UWSA 1: 256
UWSA 2: 239

COMLEX Level 1: 700
USMLE Step 1: 237

I walked out feeling horrible after both the COMLEX and the USMLE, and feeling like I could've possibly failed. I was running out of time for both exams and so that was an extra stress factor in the waiting period. On the USMLE, there were many blocks were I literally had to either quickly read through the last few questions and pick an answer with seconds to spare.

Good luck to everyone still waiting for results, or taking your boards soon. You can do it! :)

Last edited:
COMSAE D: 620-635. Somewhere around three weeks out.
COMLEX: >675
USMLE: 235-239.

Felt terrible leaving step and it showed I suppose (NBMES in 240s-250s+).
Was just dazed out of my mind leaving COMLEX. Only thing I could remember was how terrible the OMM felt, ended up doing really well in the section so who knows.

Do well in classes. A lot of the questions I thought might trip up people during the exam I remembered from preclinical years. Quite a few questions not to be found in the classic review material.

Here is my piece to give back to so many who have helped me. For reference, I am a DO student in the top 15% of my class.

Uworld 1st pass: 71% (was getting ~85% in the last few weeks)
Uworld 2nd pass: 93%

NBME 17 (baseline): 210
NBME 18 (1 month into dedicated): 225
NBME 16 (1.5 months into dedicated): 240
NBME 15 (3 weeks out): 250
NBME 19 (2 weeks out): 255
UWSA 1 (2 weeks out): 265
UWSA 2 (1 week out): 260

USMLE: 250+
COMLEX: 800+

To start, I will echo what many others have said. The absolute MOST IMPORTANT thing one can do to prepare for these exams is to study well during your first two years of medical school. There is absolutely no substitute for this. It seems that many students (as we all would), want the easy answer on how to get amazing scores on Step 1, but the true answer is hard work. I must say that I am still in a little shocked about my scores, because I still doubted myself even though practice scores estimated me in the ~250 range. However, my point is that despite the doubt, I worked my ass off every single day in order to get to where I am. I sacrificed time with friends, family, my wife...etc. All of that time I could have had was spent learning the material and that was BEFORE dedicated period. I do not write this to discourage students who are now looking upon this at the start of their dedicated time. I write this to try and grip the incoming 1st year student about what rigors are necessary to succeed on Step 1 (unless you are just some god-sent genius). Again, there is absolutely no substitute to 2 years of hard work and study when it comes to these exams. For those who did not put forth their 100% during the first years and are now finding themselves needing to kick it into high gear for dedicated, just use it as motivation to work that much harder. You can do it!

Second, another very important thing that I did was that I made a study plan that I WAS ABLE TO STICK TO, with enough wiggle room to fall back on if I needed it. This was probably the most important thing that I did during dedicated that was not related to actually studying. This allowed me to stay calm and not get overwhelmed if I would get behind, and it allowed me a chance to catch up when needed. Start the process of making this EARLY in 2nd year so that your dedicated time does not sneak up on you and leave you frantically running around trying to figure out what you want to do. I can honestly say that I would not have done anything differently with my dedicated time because looking back on what I could have improved on is only something that I now see due to hindsight, not because I would have realized them in the moment or that I didn't put in 150% every single day.

My study materials: Uworld, FirstAid, Pathoma, SketchyMicro/Pharm, and a couple Goljan audio lectures (let me use this opportunity to reiterate that the largest and most important study material that I used was the FIRST TWO YEARS OF SCHOOL). I also used Savarese ("green book") and COMBANK OMM questions to supplement for my COMLEX exam.

I really felt that the above materials very well compensated for the basis everyone needs to know for Step 1. The remaining effort is up to you to make the connections necessary to understand all the information. My advice would be to buy and get a grasp on these study materials around December of 2nd year. Become familiar with them so that, again, when dedicated time sneaks up on you, you are not frantically running about deciding what to do. While I found these resources adequate for my personal learning style, YMMV. I went through Uworld two full times during dedicated, but started my 1st pass around March. Getting through Uworld was a slow, arduous process, but in the end it does incredible things for one's understanding (in my opinion). Going through Uworld slowly the first time really allowed me to make the necessary associations and my 2nd round was just for reinforcement. Questions really are the best way to learn the material. Additionally, I don't feel the need to go into each resource individually and how I used it because that is really up to the individual and these forums are full of people repeating themselves over and over again about them.

Lastly, make sure you are taking a step back from studying for Step 1 once and a while to actually enjoy life for a bit. Every single Saturday of my dedicated period was a 3/4 day off that I would spend with my wife and I would not trade that time for any higher score. It is so important TO KEEP YOUR STRESS TO A MINIMUM while you are studying, because having a breakdown around exam time is about the worse (non-emergent) thing that could happen to you in terms of your performance. The USMLE was one hell of a test; beyond difficult. But, I was able to stay calm throughout the entire experience and minimize my silly mistakes. In fact, many times on the USMLE did I find myself going back and changing an answer to the correct one due to catching some stupid mistake I made. It is much harder to do this when you are an anxious wreck.

For the COMLEX/USMLE comparison, I felt that the COMLEX was a much more straight forward exam and that my preparation for the USMLE adequately prepared me for the COMLEX as well. Reading Savarese and doing the COMBANK OMM questions was more than enough (for my exam) in order to do well on the OMM questions. Do not make the COMLEX more complicated that it needs to be. I would encourage to use the strategy of taking the USMLE first and then the COMLEX 3-5 days afterward in order to cram OMM. Do not let anyone else tell you otherwise. I vividly remember a bunch of my OMM faculty always spouting off about what would be necessary to prepare for the COMLEX and it is all just nonsense. Use the COMLEX blueprint if you must, but I felt Savarese/COMBANK was very adequate.

I want to send a personal Thank You to all the individuals who have been so supportive to myself and all the other students as we go through this process. Hopefully I can leave my mark in a similar fashion. I would be happy to answer any questions/PMs if anyone is in need. I wish everyone the absolute best!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I love how everyone posting is in the top 95+ percentile including someone who got any impossible score over 871 (max). I smell a little sample bias ;). I got a 408 I studied for a month I passed. Everyone who passes will be a DR. Your LORs and clinical rotations will also weigh incredibly heavily in the future when it comes to matches. You are more then a 3 digit number. Congrats to everyone who passed and best of luck to those who didn't ill see you on the other side. :)

Reactions: 10 users
I love how everyone posting is in the top 95+ percentile including someone who got any impossible score over 871 (max). I smell a little sample bias ;). I got a 408 I studied for a month I passed. Everyone who passes will be a DR. Your LORs and clinical rotations will also weigh incredibly heavily in the future when it comes to matches. You are more then a 3 digit number. Congrats to everyone who passed and best of luck to those who didn't ill see you on the other side. :)

lol SDN self selects for the upper quartile of scorers. Huge congrats on passing! :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

USMLE: 233
COMLEX: 734

Only took one COMSAE and scored mid 500's. Quite surprised at my score and incredibly happy. USMLE was above my predicted score and I'm happy with it too.

Hey guys. I took my COMLEX yesterday, the 18th. Im sitting here feeling pretty distraught. Looking back, I feel like I learned way more these last 3 months than I was actually tested on. Im pretty shocked because all the subjects that I thought would be high yield, were not even tested. and that is pretty discouraging for me. It was all just OMM. Not exaggerating. I am not sure how to feel. How does the curving system work? Because Im pretty sure I actually failed due to all the crazy OMM questions.
I felt the same way! You're not alone.

Upper 5% lol. Agreed though... some crazy amazing scores on this thread.
well of course everyones comlex is 95 percentile on this thread, and their step is 250. We are the top gunners on at the schools. Lets not forget that we each have 3+ pubs and are first authors on them......... for real though people usually only post good score. if you look above my step was avg at 228 and comlex was 659. im nothing special, so i encourage everyone one reading this who didnt do as well to dust off your shoulders. The main thing is to be happy you passed and of course that A.T still taught us the great use of OMT and the cranial techniques. God knows that nothing induces labor like the CV4.

Made above 600 today on comlex; feel really good about the hard work i put into getting that score, thank you everyone on here who helped and all of you should continue grinding no matter what the score is; with that said, are they any specialties I could NOT compete for with that score? was not sure how competitive it would be for all the specialties. thanks again to everyone on here!

I'm going to barf seeing all these amazing scores and knowing i still have 4-6 wks until I know if i even passed. How did you all survive the wait?

You gotta love the person(s) on here who claim they felt like they "failed" walking out of the ComPlex, only to score a 700+. They either (1) like to lie about their feelings or (2) have gone through life not knowing the true meaning of "feeling like failing." Either way, it's laughable.

Reactions: 6 users
Just got my score yesterday. I'm a mere mortal among the gods of high 600s 700s 800s. Hope people scrolling through who've yet to write the real thing take notice of how much one can improve in a relatively short span of time. Advice: have a plan and stick to it. Build stamina and confidence through deliberate practice. Repetitive and rigorous simulation is a great way to reduce exam stress and anxiety.

Comsae D (7 wks out): 445
Comsae C (1 wk out): 503
Comsae A (3 days out): 575
Real thing: 551

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone have an idea what the NBOME calculator is all about? Example, 500 is around a 52% from 2016-2017. Can we expect close to those kinds of numbers for the next set?

I guess what I'm really asking is that our percentage score amongst test takers?

Anyone have an idea what the NBOME calculator is all about? Example, 500 is around a 52% from 2016-2017. Can we expect close to those kinds of numbers for the next set?

I guess what I'm really asking is that our percentage score amongst test takers?

From the NBOME website:

The percentile score provided by this tool is the percentile rank relative to the first-time takers who took the particular Level in the entire year-long testing cycle. Three-digit score of a different Level or of the same Level but of different testing cycles may be converted into different percentile scores.

Candidates may find their percentile scores are not available in this tool even after they have taken the COMLEX-USA for several months. This is due to the percentile scores being based on all first time-takers for the entire testing cycle. Prior to the cycle being completed, percentile scores cannot be computed. To find the time ranges of testing cycles available, please select the Level from the second box, then open the pull-down list in the third box.

Talk about selective, only top 5% chiming in on this thread!
My score was just under 700. I thought it was an easy exam with nothing tricky about it, finished w/ 30 mins to spare on both blocks. Adequate practice w/ uworld is more than enough to do well. My OMM is weak but still managed to do well on that portion w/o the green book, a lot of it was based off recall from class/lab and basic reasoning. I know a lot of people said their exam was hard, but I think it all comes down to strategy of answering questions. You got to be able to weed out the garbage info in question stems. Read the question first, glance over the answers, then read the question. Will save you lots of time and headache.

Didn't score nearly as well as some of the other posters, but I figured I'd share regardless.
Our school makes us take a COMSAE at the end of each semester to get familiar with the format of COMLEX, so the scores we got didn't really matter until COMSAE D.

COMSAE A (end of 1st semester) - 192
COMSAE B (end of 2nd semester) - 291
COMSAE C (end of 3rd semester) - 334
COMSAE D (end of 4th semester) - 435
Our school then brought in an outside company to do a 4 week prep course
COMSAE E (4 weeks out) - 510
NBME 18 (2 weeks out) - 190 (OUCH, this discouraged me from doing any more NBME's)
ComBank Level 1 Assessment 3 (Full Length) (1 week out) - 85th percentile, so about 609-611 if you use the percentile calc w/ last year's data
COMLEX Level 1 (6/28) - 626

Was very happy with my score, was expecting to land in the 500-550 range. Haven't settled on a specialty yet, so it's nice to have some options.

Congratulations!!!! I scored the same, and it is refreshing to know that people scored well on here (even if it ISN'T in the 800's - not to downplay anyone's success who did!)

I feel like i was the only person in the world who didn't know that scores of 800+ were attainable, lol.

For us mere mortals on this website =)

Step 1 : 225 (way underperformed my NBMEs)
Comlex: 563

Felt Comlex was infinitely more straight forward than my June 5th Step. Felt like FA/Uworld prepared me well for it. I didn't buy any Comsaes or Combanks, and though OMM was my lowest score, it was "borderline" (I felt my school did well preparing us for 50% of the OMM).

Step came out of left field for me. I didn't think it was similar to NBME or Uworld. Never felt comfortable on any answer, and on many, many questions felt like it was a 50/50. NBMEs were in the 235~ range towards the end.

Oh well! I am done and looking at EM, so will do my best for Step 2/Level 2!

Congrats all
This was my experience as well. I was really surprised that my Comlex seemed much more straightforward. (Don't have my scores yet though)

Last edited:
I heard the rumor that the school gets scores before we do. If that's true, who gets them and how early?

I heard the rumor that the school gets scores before we do. If that's true, who gets them and how early?
ive herd that as well, and its usually the support staff for education. Either way they wont tell you the score until its officially released

Step 1: 239
COMLEX 1: 737

What does this mean for me being in the 99th percentile for Comlex but averagish for USMLE? Mostly interested in EM at this time and would like to land one of the two Case Western Programs in Ohio. Think I am competitive enough?

Step 1: 239
COMLEX 1: 737

What does this mean for me being in the 99th percentile for Comlex but averagish for USMLE? Mostly interested in EM at this time and would like to land one of the two Case Western Programs in Ohio. Think I am competitive enough?
i think youll be fine, ive seen match rate for em in the low 600 and in the high 220s - 230s. youre set. Just rock step 2

Sooo. Anybody else retaking this thing within the next two months? :/
There is a few people i know who are, dont worry. I am sure youll rock it out the second time around, just UFAP and add physeo if you are slacking that area and of course the green book

I realize this is a COMLEX thread, but I've gotten my USMLE score and haven't gotten my COMLEX score yet. I could repost this on the USMLE thread. My USMLE score was pretty bad. About halfway between the national average and failing. I did average or well except for two sections that I just completely bombed. Is it possible to retake step 1? Should I? Should I just try to do well on shelfs and step 2?

Last edited:
I realize this is a COMLEX thread, but I've gotten my USMLE score and haven't gotten my COMLEX score yet. I could repost this on the USMLE thread. My USMLE score was pretty bad. About halfway between the national average and failing. I did average or well except for two sections that I just completely bombed. Is it possible to retake step 1? Should I? Should I just try to do well on shelfs and step 2?

You can't retake Step 1 if you passed it the first time. If your USMLE Step 1 was < 210 I would probably advise you to focus on the AOA match. With a good/decent COMLEX score around 550, most doors should be open for you in the AOA match. Depends on what you want to specialize in though.

Moving forward, try your best to rock your rotations and step 2. Can't change the step 1 score, gotta move past it.

I think the entire release date "range" is completely bogus. Be like everyone else and just set a date and release it on that date. Why do you give yourself a 3 day window if you always just release it on the last day. The range makes everyone who took the exam anxious af, so just say the release date is 8/10, not 8/8-8/10.

I think the entire release date "range" is completely bogus. Be like everyone else and just set a date and release it on that date. Why do you give yourself a 3 day window if you always just release it on the last day. The range makes everyone who took the exam anxious af, so just say the release date is 8/10, not 8/8-8/10.
They should just show this gif at the end of the exam:

tumblr_n6hx2ly8qr1qedb29o1_400.gif

Ok so not really sure where I'm coming up with this...... and this could be entirely made up in my head, but do they usually inform the people who failed during the early days, and that could it possibly be a good sign that you haven't heard back until the final day of "the range" cause that just means you passed? If any one has any insight to this that would be great. Don't want to single anyone out, but if you failed, or know someone who failed, but found out on the last day of the release dates, then I'd love to hear from you. It's quite possible that this is some concoction I have just made up in my head to justify the madness that I have developed from the obsessive refreshing of the NBOME webpage for the last 40 hours...

Ok so not really sure where I'm coming up with this...... and this could be entirely made up in my head, but do they usually inform the people who failed during the early days, and that could it possibly be a good sign that you haven't heard back until the final day of "the range" cause that just means you passed? If any one has any insight to this that would be great. Don't want to single anyone out, but if you failed, or know someone who failed, but found out on the last day of the release dates, then I'd love to hear from you. It's quite possible that this is some concoction I have just made up in my head to justify the madness that I have developed from the obsessive refreshing of the NBOME webpage for the last 40 hours...
That's not a thing at all. Fail or not, scores are released all at once