Official 2017 COMLEX Level 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roxas

Giggity!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright friends, let's do this.

I'm planning on sitting sometime in late June (COMLEX only). FA 2017 is on the way, starting UWorld in January and Combank around April.

Feel free to share and help keep each other accountable until we slay the beast.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
How similar is the real deal to COMBANK? I just started doing some OMM questions

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I thought COMBANK was way too easy, but there's really nothing else so you might as well do it. My OPP was either viscerosomatics or WTF? Without much in between. Had like 2-3 sacral/L5 Dx and 1 straightforward spinal diagnosis question, and only 1 cranial question, otherwise the other OPP I've never even heard of.

How similar is the real deal to COMBANK? I just started doing some OMM questions

Should have taken this damn exam 2 weeks ago. Losing my mojo.

I felt COMBANK was similar in style to the OMM questions to COMLEX but the content was a little different. Definitely read the final sentence on questions to filter out a bunch of the extraneous crap they may present in the question stem. No need to waste 2min reading a paragraph and 10 lab values if they are asking you the thoracic segmental diagnosis is. For my test, I felt that the green book and COMBANK OMM was more than enough for the questions you could answer. The WTF OMM questions are not gonna be something you could have prepared for and will either be something you can reason out or you just need to guess on.

Lastly, keep your nerves to a minimum friend. You've spent such a long time preparing and have been doing great. Don't let the anxiety get to you in the final hour. Every person feels the way you do right before their exam. It is just part of the process. Keep a level head, get some good sleep if possible, and hit it out of the park. You got this!

I felt COMBANK was similar in style to the OMM questions to COMLEX but the content was a little different. Definitely read the final sentence on questions to filter out a bunch of the extraneous crap they may present in the question stem. No need to waste 2min reading a paragraph and 10 lab values if they are asking you the thoracic segmental diagnosis is. For my test, I felt that the green book and COMBANK OMM was more than enough for the questions you could answer. The WTF OMM questions are not gonna be something you could have prepared for and will either be something you can reason out or you just need to guess on.

Lastly, keep your nerves to a minimum friend. You've spent such a long time preparing and have been doing great. Don't let the anxiety get to you in the final hour. Every person feels the way you do right before their exam. It is just part of the process. Keep a level head, get some good sleep if possible, and hit it out of the park. You got this!

Thank you! It really seems like the COMLEX is a toss up. My friend took it yesterday and said that the COMBANK questions were extremely similar and even tougher than the real exam because they were more nit-picky. He said that there was a ton of OMM, but it was all pretty straightforward stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this was already asked- on COMBANK it seems there are some types of question sets where you can click the answer and then the next part of the set helps you out more so you can go back and change your answer if it was wrong. On COMLEX, are there a lot of these set types of questions and can you go backwards and change your answer (vs USMLE)? Thanks in advance

Sorry if this was already asked- on COMBANK it seems there are some types of question sets where you can click the answer and then the next part of the set helps you out more so you can go back and change your answer if it was wrong. On COMLEX, are there a lot of these set types of questions and can you go backwards and change your answer (vs USMLE)? Thanks in advance
No way. Sadly no lol

On another note, what are the odds that the people getting their test this month actually get it the 17th instead of the 18/19th. Figure they make you wait the most they can

you can go back within a question set on comlex but i had very few of those.

I heard a couple of people from my school got 900+ on Comlex level 1, has anyone from other schools heard similar numbers? I didn't know the scoring went over 900?

I heard a couple of people from my school got 900+ on Comlex level 1, has anyone from other schools heard similar numbers? I didn't know the scoring went over 900?

The 3-digit standard scores of COMLEX-USA Level 1, Level 2- Cognitive Evaluation (CE), and Level 3 have a range of 200-871 and a mean of 500. 400 is the minimum passing score for COMLEX-USA Levels 1 and 2; 350 for COMLEX-USA Level 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a person score in the high 900's a few years back. School was confused so they called NBOME and I guess he only missed 3 questions... so I guess it happens?

We had a person score in the high 900's a few years back. School was confused so they called NBOME and I guess he only missed 3 questions... so I guess it happens?

Thanks for the reply, the highest I'd ever heard of going into boards season was in the 830s, so hearing of a score north of 900 from the 1st group of scores was surprising.

Thanks for the reply, the highest I'd ever heard of going into boards season was in the 830s, so hearing of a score north of 900 from the 1st group of scores was surprising.
My dean mentioned that 10% of questions are experimental. They don't count against you if you get them wrong while you get extra points if you get them right. Whoever your classmate is, s/he must be either hella smart or lucky or both. But then outside of AOA, old-AOA, and dual programs, north 900 doesn't mean much for ACGME programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took comlex yesterday (usmle on friday) and honestly it was the strangest test I have ever taken. I felt like there was A LOT of omm and it wasnt very straight forward. I feel like I failed.

Took it today. 95% sure I failed.

Bro, I've seen you post. I know how smart you are. I know you passed and did well. But, I'm not a jerk so I don't want to dismiss your thoughts. When you have time, why don't you post a summary and we can help rationalize it and maybe that'll help your nerves. Including myself, all my classmates walked out of comlex thinking they failed. Including the guy who got a 700 something.

Reactions: 1 user
Sure this has been covered so sorry, but how long after taking it can you expect your score?

Hey, thanks for the write up! Take time off now and go enjoy yourself! Congrats on finishing nonetheless.

Do you think its worth it for me to actually do COMBANK non-OMM questions? see that you and most of other ppl felt COMBANK did not resemble COMLEX so much.

Did you use sketchy for your micro and pharm prep? if so, were they helpful for COMLEX? or were the questions about micro and pharm also so vague that you couldn't even relate that to sketchy.

Thank you!

Took COMLEX today, July 11th

Started doing USMLERx questions in March (finished about half of that bank)

Finished UWorld (77% average)
Took NBME 16-19 (scores ranged from 236-244)
UWSA 1: 258
UWSA 2: 249

The week leading up to the COMLEX I read through the green book and did about 3/4 of the OMM questions in COMBANK along with about 100 random questions in COMBANK to "get the feel." I was really nervous going into this exam because I felt like I had burnt out about 2 weeks ago and felt like my mind was a blank slate. I know this is hard for some to understand (and I don't understand it either) but I felt like I forgot like 70% of the stuff I had worked so hard to learn over the last two months. Anyways, onto the exam:

Overall, the exam felt nothing like COMBANK or UWorld to me. With both UW and COMBANK, I would read the stem and the question would give you enough info to be confident in your diagnosis so that you can look below and answer the question. On today's exam, that wasn't the case for me at all. I would read the stem and nothing would come to me. It was really vague and then when I looked at the answers I would spend 30 seconds trying to figure out how the answers were even linked somewhat to the stem because the answers felt so random. I don't really know how to explain it.

On UW and COMBANK when I did blocks I would usually finish with 10 minutes left so that I can go back and do the few that I skipped. Today I was so rushed that I wasn't able to back and look at any of the marked questions I had.

My first block was literally 70% OMM. Not only that...but like others have said on here, the they would literally list 10 findings and you would have to sift through all of them and try to get to the right answer in less than a minute. This is fine when there are a few OMM questions here and there with normal questions...but when you have literally 10 OMM questions like this back to back to back, etc I was having a REALLY hard time keeping on track with time and was getting really flustered.

The second and third blocks were hard as well. Just felt super vague to me.

Fourth block went better. Got some short question stems and hardly any OMM and finished with 10 minutes left.

I was doing ok until after the 5th block or so when I started getting tired. I have a hard time sitting and focusing for that long and by the 5th block my brain was starting to say "screw off". Same crap 5-8 block. Super vague.

Some of my highest scoring sections on UW is pharm and I felt like the pharm today killed me.

I also loved being sat right next to the exit door with people coming in and out every 2 minutes and the lady next to me slamming her keyboard for the first half of my test. It was an awesome experience as you can tell haha.

Anyways...hope the test went better for others.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

The week leading up to the COMLEX I read through the green book and did about 3/4 of the OMM questions in COMBANK along with about 100 random questions in COMBANK to "get the feel." I was really nervous going into this exam because I felt like I had burnt out about 2 weeks ago and felt like my mind was a blank slate. I know this is hard for some to understand (and I don't understand it either) but I felt like I forgot like 70% of the stuff I had worked so hard to learn over the last two months. Anyways, onto the exam:

Overall, the exam felt nothing like COMBANK or UWorld to me. With both UW and COMBANK, I would read the stem and the question would give you enough info to be confident in your diagnosis so that you can look below and answer the question. On today's exam, that wasn't the case for me at all. I would read the stem and nothing would come to me. It was really vague and then when I looked at the answers I would spend 30 seconds trying to figure out how the answers were even linked somewhat to the stem because the answers felt so random. I don't really know how to explain it.

On UW and COMBANK when I did blocks I would usually finish with 10 minutes left so that I can go back and do the few that I skipped. Today I was so rushed that I wasn't able to back and look at any of the marked questions I had.

My first block was literally 70% OMM. Not only that...but like others have said on here, the they would literally list 10 findings and you would have to sift through all of them and try to get to the right answer in less than a minute. This is fine when there are a few OMM questions here and there with normal questions...but when you have literally 10 OMM questions like this back to back to back, etc I was having a REALLY hard time keeping on track with time and was getting really flustered.

Fourth block went better. Got some short question stems and hardly any OMM and finished with 10 minutes left.

I was doing ok until after the 5th block or so when I started getting tired. I have a hard time sitting and focusing for that long and by the 5th block my brain was starting to say "screw off". Same crap 5-8 block. Super vague.

Some of my highest scoring sections on UW is pharm and I felt like the pharm today killed me.

I also loved being sat right next to the exit door with people coming in and out every 2 minutes and the lady next to me slamming her keyboard for the first half of my test. It was an awesome experience as you can tell haha.

don't you need like 200 questions wrong to have failed COMLEX? What is your perception of failure? 50 wrong?

I took mine yesterday as well & completely sympathize with you about the timing and the OMM stems, I've never felt so rushed :(

I told you that test was hard and not straightforward but I know you did very well. It sucks coming out of it thinking you'll have to retake and your chances for anything competitive are over but that won't be the case for you. At least I walked out of the USMLE thinking it was a fair exam, not the case with the comlex. Now for the long wait for the scores.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been looking through the thread and noticed that a lot of ppl felt pharm was difficult. Could anyone elaborate on that more? Was it the mechanisms? Drug names? Side effects? Etc.

I've been looking through the thread and noticed that a lot of ppl felt pharm was difficult. Could anyone elaborate on that more? Was it the mechanisms? Drug names? Side effects? Etc.

For me it just felt like they were extremely vague with the question. For example

"Patient comes in with pain in the chest. What is a side effect of the most important drug you would give this patient?"

This is literally how most of my pharm was.

Hey, thanks for the write up! Take time off now and go enjoy yourself! Congrats on finishing nonetheless.

Do you think its worth it for me to actually do COMBANK non-OMM questions? see that you and most of other ppl felt COMBANK did not resemble COMLEX so much.

Did you use sketchy for your micro and pharm prep? if so, were they helpful for COMLEX? or were the questions about micro and pharm also so vague that you couldn't even relate that to sketchy.

Thank you!

I'm a different person, but 100% do sketchy. But, from everyone I've talked to about the bugs on their test. It's not the easy stuff anymore. They aren't going to ask you something like "pt has vague issues, gram stain info is +, coagulase + and catalase positive, what is it?" then list a bunch of gram - and only 1 gram +. Nah, you need to know the harder things. Sketchy will get it so that you know the easy things cold and then read the FA chapter to learn the harder things. But, even then. Be prepared for things that you just have to reason out. I had a question that asked about a testing technique that I had never heard of and it's not in FA. So all I could do was think about the little bit that was described about the testing technique, then look at my answers and use my knowledge about each bug (from sketchy and FA) to try to see which one was right. Sure enough, after looking at all of them. You narrow it down to 50/50 like always and then have to think about which one fits better. I went with the one that I thought fit better and on my lunch break I looked it up. Sure enough, that technique comes up as a way to test for that bug.

Didn't do combank for non omm questions so I can't comment on those. I can't even remember my pharm questions, so I don't think my test was that bad for them.

Can someone give me a sense of the question stems people have been seeing? UWorld length?

I would say about 30% were way longer than UW. You had to scroll to see the entire question. About 15% were shorter (1-3 sentences). And the rest were about UW length. Keep in mind that you have to do 10 more questions in the same amount of time you have for UW...and UW is a lot more clear than COMLEX in my opinion.

I would say about 30% were way longer than UW. You had to scroll to see the entire question. About 15% were shorter (1-3 sentences). And the rest were about UW length. Keep in mind that you have to do 10 more questions in the same amount of time you have for UW...and UW is a lot more clear than COMLEX in my opinion.

Interesting. I've heard such a wide ranch of responses to people that I wonder if they have different curves for the different tests out there. Some people feel good coming out, others not so much. I did all of UWorld and have been doing COMBANK for the past 10 days or so and scoring in the 70-75 range on blocks. Hope I can do this!!

You are totally not alone in your experience. I felt literally the exact same way during my exam a couple weeks ago. I scored a 649 on a COMSAE a couple days before my COMLEX and felt confident going into it. But then I met a completely different beast from what I was used to with Uworld, COMbank and the COMSAEs. I don't know what happened but I blanked as well on a lot of information that was automatic and drilled into my brain. I truly think the vagueness and length of the questions really contributed to that. Hope it turns out well for you! Sure seemed like you worked really hard to succeed and hope that hard work is rewarded.

it seems like COMBANK OMM questions are pretty easy and straight forward, nothing too tricky. Any other resources to practice harder OMM questions or the level of difficulty COMBANK=actual comlex?

it seems like COMBANK OMM questions are pretty easy and straight forward, nothing too tricky. Any other resources to practice harder OMM questions or the level of difficulty COMBANK=actual comlex?

You could try ComQuest, but I don't know anyone specifically who used it. I already took mine and honestly have no idea how you can prepare for some of the OMM questions, even had I seen the questions, I still wouldn't know what resource to even use. I had plenty of questions not found in Savarese or from the CombankOMM.

You could try ComQuest, but I don't know anyone specifically who used it. I already took mine and honestly have no idea how you can prepare for some of the OMM questions, even had I seen the questions, I still wouldn't know what resource to even use. I had plenty of questions not found in Savarese or from the CombankOMM.

Totally agree. I was getting 90%+ on OMM blocks on COMBANK, but was blindsided on the real test.

dang... that just means the COMBANK overall is just the most useless piece of S ever

I don't think it's useless. It does have a bunch of random low yield stuff just like the real deal
Did for stuff other than OMM.

I also think it is just luck on which test you get. I have friends who took COMLEX and said it was super straight forward and way easier than Usmle. But then I have some that say UsMLE was way easier and COMLEX was a cluster.

How are you guys getting COMSAE B and D? I was told COMSAE B was withdrawn to be revised, and COMSAE D is only available through the school. My school told us COMSAE D was unavailable to us. Are they just being jerks? We already took COMSAE E as the exit exam.

So I started to do Kaplan OMM questions and they are a bit more challenging than COMBANK. It asks for more small detail stuff, thats the main difference.

Also, did the non OMM questions on the comlex have OMM finding in the question stems? were they necessary to arrive at the correct answer?

How are you guys getting COMSAE B and D? I was told COMSAE B was withdrawn to be revised, and COMSAE D is only available through the school. My school told us COMSAE D was unavailable to us. Are they just being jerks? We already took COMSAE E as the exit exam.

Schools get access to either one. A school gets either form D or form E. Students aren't allowed access to the other form (D or E) that don't take since they're school. I don't really get why. Mine didn't really feel like a COMSAE so it's pretty pointless. But people at my school said our school form was most predictive. A largely overpredicts it seems. Can't speak much about C. B is currently not available, my guess is when that it does go back online, it'll be closest to the real deal.

Am I the only one who is really eager to figure out how I did on this beast? I count down the days to the release on July 17-19th. This is a brutal wait.

Am I the only one who is really eager to figure out how I did on this beast? I count down the days to the release on July 17-19th. This is a brutal wait.

I was able to put it out of my mind for a while since I've been busy studying for step. But last night it hit my poor brain that ~omg scores will be out soon~. I take step on the 19th and if scores come out earlier than that, I have no idea if I'm going to check my scores when they get released or wait until after step.

I was able to put it out of my mind for a while since I've been busy studying for step. But last night it hit my poor brain that ~omg scores will be out soon~. I take step on the 19th and if scores come out earlier than that, I have no idea if I'm going to check my scores when they get released or wait until after step.

That is tough. Why such a long break between exams?

Does anyone happen to know, or have heard, what the trend is on when exactly COMLEX scores are released?

I know I'm expected to get mine between now and Wednesday but I haven't heard if they go based on date taken (where today I guess June 12th takers would hypothetically get theirs first)?

Thanks you guys!