Official 2017-2018 Rheumatology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rheum18

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's start the 2017-2018 application thread! Good luck Everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Rheum fellow starting this July. Just passed by to say good luck with the match!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good Luck everyone. New to this forum. A question has been lingering in my mind. Unfortunately, I won't be able to submit my application on the 15th. may go as late as 17th (Monday), which is the next working day. Was wondering if someone can put in views on applying a few days late. Is it as strict as once we applied for Residency? I'm an IMG on J1.

Good Luck everyone. New to this forum. A question has been lingering in my mind. Unfortunately, I won't be able to submit my application on the 15th. may go as late as 17th (Monday), which is the next working day. Was wondering if someone can put in views on applying a few days late. Is it as strict as once we applied for Residency? I'm an IMG on J1.

Not a big deal at all, I know several people that applied 3 weeks late and matched at their top choice. To be fair, they came for well-known residency programs.

Two days is probably not a big deal, especially since the 15th is a Saturday and I'd bet post people sit on it over the weekend. Don't do three weeks - I have friends who did the same and I really think it hurt them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Applied for 48 programs this morning. But 3 LOR are not available for programs to download, hope they will be available on Monday.

Anyone applied this morning?

48?!! The fellowship director here thought I should do 10-12 and I felt like I was being overly cautious doing 18. Anybody know of any stats for number of applications? I remember seeing some PDF when I was applying for residency, not sure if something similar exists for fellowship.

I think it depends on your Residency place too. If you're from a good University then probably around 20 is OK. Personally, coming from a community based hospital and wanting a J1, I applied to a lot more programs = 60 :D
@silentreader: At any pace, they will start seeing applications on Monday. Pretty sure, Rheumatologists don't work on the weekends :D

48?!! The fellowship director here thought I should do 10-12 and I felt like I was being overly cautious doing 18. Anybody know of any stats for number of applications? I remember seeing some PDF when I was applying for residency, not sure if something similar exists for fellowship.

I come from a very small community hospital, only did rheumatology rotation with our rheumatologist in his office, did not ask LOR. So I have to apply for more programs.

I think it depends on your Residency place too. If you're from a good University then probably around 20 is OK. Personally, coming from a community based hospital and wanting a J1, I applied to a lot more programs = 60 :D
@silentreader: At any pace, they will start seeing applications on Monday. Pretty sure, Rheumatologists don't work on the weekends :D

Do we must upload photo or just an optional?

Members don't see this ad :)
Found my match today. Good luck everyone. Can't wait to work with you guys.

I will be applying next year, but wanted to say good luck to everyone applying this cycle!!

Best of Luck to everyone! Hopefully our chances will be good this year and everyone matches that wants to. If not, at least Medicine is still a great field with plenty of other opportunities.

Hey best of luck to all!

Sent everything out between Saturday and this AM
IMG coming from University based program looking primarily at TriState for family reasons!
Looks like NYC starts beginning of August judging by last year

Any idea when interviews are typically scheduled?

Applied to 30 programs on the 14th, 8 on the 15th, and 3 today. I am casting a wide net and not geographically restrained. IMG PGY-3 with pretty weak USMLE scores, a few poster presentations, couple research projects, one publication in progress, and God on my side. Only applying to Rheumatology because that's all I really want to do. Let's have fun here until match day :)

All the best, guys!

Out of curiosity did anyone list "research in progress" under "experience?"

Out of curiosity did anyone list "research in progress" under "experience?"

Yes I listed ongoing research and a pending publication. If you have already put in work, you might as well take credit for it, especially if there is a potential of it being viewed favorably in your application. Look at it this way, it couldn't possibly hurt to list it.

Just got an invite to Hopkins!

7/18: Johns Hopkins

Reactions: 3 users
NYU sent out "application received" notifications yesterday.

Congrats! What would you consider to be the strengths of your application package (scores, research, publications, etc.)?

I'm an AMG, went to a state allopathic medical school and am at a large academic residency program now. Step 1 score >240, CK and Step 3 >260. Have 3 posters, and 1 publication; 2 more publications are pending, which I listed under the Experience section in ERAS.

Good luck to everyone! Hopefully more start coming out soon.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm an AMG, went to a state allopathic medical school and am at a large academic residency program now. Step 1 score >240, CK and Step 3 >260. Have 3 posters, and 1 publication; 2 more publications are pending, which I listed under the Experience section in ERAS.

Good luck to everyone! Hopefully more start coming out soon.

Thanks for sharing. That's super nice of you. Your package looks stellar and on point. Congrats!

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations! Didn't even apply to these two :D
Acknowledgement from Rutgers!

1st year rheum fellow here! Just wanted to wish you guys luck! Fellowship has been awesome! The pts I have seen and diease processes I have been exposed to have been amazing!

Reactions: 4 users
7/18 Johns Hopkins, Mayo Clinic
7/19 University of Vermont :)

Reactions: 1 users
Congrads ,good to know that interview invites have started to roll !

1st year rheum fellow here! Just wanted to wish you guys luck! Fellowship has been awesome! The pts I have seen and diease processes I have been exposed to have been amazing!
What program are you in?

7/18 Johns Hopkins, Mayo Clinic
7/19 University of Vermont :)
7/19 University of Arizona

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users