Official 2017-2018 Pediatric Gastroenterology Match Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

To how many places will you apply?

• Less than 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5-10

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 10-15

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 15-20

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Greater than 20

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters

PedsRes101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Wanted to start this to help with sharing of information. Will be helpful leading up to application and for notification of when programs start sending out interviews. I am a 2nd year peds resident that will be applying on this cycle. Feel free to say hello or start with questions or suggestions if anyone has any. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey!

This is a great idea! How much insight do you have on applying to Peds GI fellowships? I have like zero guidance because no one from my program has applied to GI in like 10 years and we have 1 peds GI faculty and he is very out of touch with the process to say the least because he has been in practice for 20+ years. I plan on applying this upcoming cycle as well, so it would be great to get some feedback from other residents!

I am figuring on applying to about 15 programs or so. I think that should be enough.. but how many interviews should I realistically do?

Thanks!

Hey!

This is a great idea! How much insight do you have on applying to Peds GI fellowships? I have like zero guidance because no one from my program has applied to GI in like 10 years and we have 1 peds GI faculty and he is very out of touch with the process to say the least because he has been in practice for 20+ years. I plan on applying this upcoming cycle as well, so it would be great to get some feedback from other residents!

I am figuring on applying to about 15 programs or so. I think that should be enough.. but how many interviews should I realistically do?

Thanks!
I have a little insight though none of our faculty have actually been through the match either. I will apply around the area because honestly I am not sure where I'm competitive. It's annoying most of the websites are a couple of years out of date. Feel free to ask questions if you can think of any.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a little insight though none of our faculty have actually been through the match either. I will apply around the area because honestly I am not sure where I'm competitive. It's annoying most of the websites are a couple of years out of date. Feel free to ask questions if you can think of any.

Do you know when interviews typically start? I know the new 2018 timeline was recently posted and it says on July 15th programs will be able to see our application. However, when do they start offering interviews? Will they start as soon as end of July or will it be more August - October?

10 days until we can apply! (Not like I am counting or anything) Wanted to get this bumped up so other people will see it and hopefully soon we can start posting interview offers. Anyone going to the NASPGHAN conference this year by any chance?

Good luck every one! I am guessing we probably won't start hearing back until Monday, but who knows!

Well the applications all got released to programs on the 15th. I assumed no one would look at them over the weekend, meaning that the earliest we would hear anything would be today. As is, I only heard from one program and it was to just say they received my application and it was under review. I honestly have NO IDEA when they will reply with interview offers because I have had very little guidance for this whole process.

Well the applications all got released to programs on the 15th. I assumed no one would look at them over the weekend, meaning that the earliest we would hear anything would be today. As is, I only heard from one program and it was to just say they received my application and it was under review. I honestly have NO IDEA when they will reply with interview offers because I have had very little guidance for this whole process.

I don't want to reveal too much information as it may indicate where I am training. I am currently a fellow at a large institute and can tell you we start interviewing the second week of August. So, expect to hear back quickly

I don't want to reveal too much information as it may indicate where I am training. I am currently a fellow at a large institute and can tell you we start interviewing the second week of August. So, expect to hear back quickly

This is good to know. Thank you! I figured we would start hearing back late July/early August.

So far, I know Saint Louis University and Washington University have started sending invites.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about keeping a running list? We just update as we get invites.

Saint Louis University
Washington University
Louisiana State University

Does it really hurt your chances a lot if you have to turn in your application a week later (7/22)? It takes forever to get my letters uploaded and processed.

If one doesnt get an interview from a program, do they notify you via ERAS?
I think programs should give you a response either way whether they invite you to an interview or not. To another question, I am not sure if applying 1-2 weeks late makes any difference. You can always apply before your letters are uploaded.

I would definitely apply and the programs can see your letters are being processed, but they can at least start reviewing your application. Especially if they are a program who sends out interviews early.

Oh so programs can see that you have letters that are being processed? I thought they could only see the letters that are completely processed already.

They cannot see in process ones

I guess not, but they can at least see the rest of your application and start reviewing that, or at least know you are in the process of applying. Or maybe I am completely wrong, but either way if I was in your shoes I would apply as soon as possible even if all my stuff was not processed.

Saint Louis University
Washington University
UT Southwestern - Dallas

Do you all know till when we all can expect interviews ? In other words, when is the ~last week one should be worried if the interview he/she are looking for does not arrive.

Do you all know till when we all can expect interviews ? In other words, when is the ~last week one should be worried if the interview he/she are looking for does not arrive.
From what I've heard/read invites could happen throughout August.

Ucsd
Stanford
Osu nationwide
Wash u
Have also started giving out interviews.

So far...

Saint Louis University
Washington University
UT Southwestern - Dallas
UCSD
Stanford
OSU Nationwide
University of Florida
UT Health Science Center - Houston

20, and 5 of them are in the above list..
Well, I would still not give up hope yet! It has only been barely 2 weeks since applications went out and I know the majority of programs have not responded yet. Besides, I am sure there will be a second wave once people start interviewing or turning down/cancelling interviews. Are you planning on going to the NASPGHAN annual conference? I know that is before match and a good way to network and get to know people and maybe even secure an interview!

Saint Louis University
Washington University
UT Southwestern - Dallas
UCSD
Stanford
OSU Nationwide
University of Florida
UF Orlando

How many interviews should we aim to do? Any ideas? I was thinking 5-6. I just do not have the money or time to do much more than that, unless the consensus is it should be more.

How many interviews do you think most people have at this point?

I think its all dependent on what programs you applied to and who has responded. I think we may hear from the majority of places these two weeks. That is what I am hearing through the grapevine.

Saint Louis University
Washington University
UT Southwestern - Dallas
UCSD
Stanford
OSU Nationwide
University of Florida
UF Orlando

How many interviews should we aim to do? Any ideas? I was thinking 5-6. I just do not have the money or time to do much more than that, unless the consensus is it should be more.
5-6 seems like the right amount to me. Maybe 7... Add Indianapolis to the list of offers too.

Saint Louis University
Washington University/B-JH/SLCH Consortium
UT Southwestern - Dallas
University of California - San Diego (UCSD)
Stanford
Nationwide Children's Hospital/Ohio State University (OSU)
University of Florida - Gainsville
Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children - Orlando Health
Indianapolis
University of Michigan
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
Medical University of South Carolina

Saint Louis University
UT Southwestern - Dallas
Stanford
Indianapolis
University of Michigan
Vanderbilt University
Nemours/ DuPont Childrens Delaware

This is crazy how many places have not sent invites yet.

Do most of these places send invites in mid-late August or what?
Also, do most places interview in November or no? The places where I've gotten interviews from all have dates from only August to October.

Has anyone heard from CHLA, Baylor, or ucsf?

And just to update the list:

Saint Louis University
UT Southwestern - Dallas
Stanford
Indianapolis
University of Michigan
Vanderbilt University
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Emory
Children's National

Has anyone heard from CHLA, Baylor, or ucsf?

UCSF emailed me yesterday just to say that they're reviewing the application. And to add to the list....

Saint Louis University
UT Southwestern - Dallas
Stanford
Indianapolis
University of Michigan
Vanderbilt University
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Emory
Children's National
Montefiore
SUNY downstate
Stony Brook

Saint Louis University
UT Southwestern - Dallas
Stanford
Indianapolis
University of Michigan
Vanderbilt University
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Emory
Children's National
Montefiore
SUNY downstate
Stony Brook
Lurie CH, Chicago

Saint Louis University
UT Southwestern - Dallas
Stanford
Indianapolis
University of Michigan
Vanderbilt University
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Emory
Children's National
Montefiore
SUNY downstate
Stony Brook
Lurie CH, Chicago
Hopkins

Saint Louis University
UT Southwestern - Dallas
Stanford
Indianapolis
University of Michigan
Vanderbilt University
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Emory
Children's National
Montefiore
SUNY downstate
Stony Brook
Lurie CH, Chicago
Hopkins
University of Colorado
Mass. General

Well, even worse than waiting for invitations is seeing that the program already sent some out.

Have most programs sent out invites already?

Also, is it true that on average, places interview about 10 candidates per spot?

Also, is it true that on average, places interview about 10 candidates per spot?
not at all (in terms of number of invites)... not sure where you got that info. Speaking to a program director from a program with 1 spot, they get approximately 50 applicants and interview 20-25. I am sure everywhere is different though. If you look at last years invites, programs sent out invites through the end of august.

Last edited:

not at all (in terms of number of invites)... not sure where you got that info. Speaking to a program director from a program with 1 spot, they get approximately 50 applicants and interview 20-25. I am sure everywhere is different though. If you look at last years invites, programs sent out invites through the end of august.

I think it really depends on the strength of the program. Cincinnati, for example interviews around 12 for 4 spots. Most others seem to be around the 8-10 interviewees for each position range though.