*~*~*~* Official 2017-2018 Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview #1!!! :soexcited:
School: MWU-AZ
Notification date: 09/06
Method of notification: checked portal
Residency: CA
AADSAS Submitted: 8/24
App complete: 9/1
GPA (Science, Overall): 3.99, 3.88
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 25/24/22/25/no

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Didn't take them that long to snag you Lol. 6 days!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview #5
School: University of Pennslyvania
Notification date: 09/05
Method of notification: Email
AADSAS Submitted: 6/25 (Supplemental submitted 7/25)
Coursework Verified: 7/6
GPA (Science, Overall): 3.45, 3.49
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/22/22/20/no
Was 7/25 the day you mailed the supplemental or the day they confirmed it was received?

Was 7/25 the day you mailed the supplemental or the day they confirmed it was received?
That was the day that I mailed the supplemental in, UPenn confirmed that they received it on 8/2.

Interview #6

School: Ohio State
Notification date: Got called 9/5 but I did not pick up. Officially invited the next day 9/6.
Method of notification: Phone Call
Residency: MD
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/08
Application complete date: 8/10
GPA (science, overall): s3.90, o3.78
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 25/27/18/23(none below 17)

Reactions: 2 users

Hey congrats! Glad to see you got an interview!!

Reactions: 1 users
Interview #6
School: University of Minnesota
Notification date: 09/07
AADSAS Complete: 07/30
App complete: 8/07/17
GPA (Science, Overall): 3.46, 3.5
DAT(AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20, 21, 20, 21, no

Interviews #1&2
School 1: UConn
Notification date: 8/14
Residency: NH
AADSAS Complete: 8/4
App complete: 8/10

School 2: Touro
Notification date: 9/6
Residency: NH
AADSAS Complete: 8/4
App complete: 8/15
GPA (Science, Overall): 3.42, 3.58
DAT(AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/22/21/21 no

withdrew my application/interview invitations from Touro and Roseman- good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
I recall seeing you apply last cycle and getting some interviews if I'm not mistaken. If you don't mind, out of curiosity, do you feel that your interview performance in the past is what kept you back or do you think it was your application itself? Have you done anything different from last cycle to this cycle? Congrats on your interview :)

Thanks, I got 5 interview invites last year and I thought they went pretty smoothly. I was told afterwards by several people (including my current employer) that I don't show enough enthusiasm when interviewing, even though I've always felt like I have. 3/5 were group interviews, and it's a little difficult to stand out as a quiet/mellow applicant. Don't know what else it could be. Since last year, I've shadowed a few more dentists, gotten more work and volunteer experience, got a fourth LoR, and rewrote my personal statement. Unluckily, my BCP GPA dropped to a 2.99 since they reclassified some courses with the website overhaul, which has put me below the cutoff for some schools. Hopefully interviewing goes better this year. If anyone has any tips, I will gladly use them. Best of luck to everyone.

Thanks, I got 5 interview invites last year and I thought they went pretty smoothly. I was told afterwards by several people (including my current employer) that I don't show enough enthusiasm when interviewing, even though I've always felt like I have. 3/5 were group interviews, and it's a little difficult to stand out as a quiet/mellow applicant. Don't know what else it could be. Since last year, I've shadowed a few more dentists, gotten more work and volunteer experience, got a fourth LoR, and rewrote my personal statement. Unluckily, my BCP GPA dropped to a 2.99 since they reclassified some courses with the website overhaul, which has put me below the cutoff for some schools. Hopefully interviewing goes better this year. If anyone has any tips, I will gladly use them. Best of luck to everyone.
If you have trouble with enthusiasm, try getting comfortable with the effects of coffee (do not get addicted and do not use too frequently) it can make you a bit more enthusiastic and sociable, although it might make you talk too much and just come off as annoying. It also may make you anxious and jittery which is why I recommend getting used to it. If you're already an avid user im out of advice

I really dislike the fact that they base enthusiasm off of a stressful 30-60 minute interview. Some people are naturally better when it comes to talking to new people, and your enthusiasm should not be based on the interview. Instead, it should be based on your application and what dental related activities you've done to gain experience into the profession. I mean is someone that isn't interested in dentistry really going to shadow a dentist for 200 hours? Absolutely not. Therefore, your past experiences should display how enthusiastic you are about dentistry - not a superficial 30 minute interview.

Good luck this cycle! Wishing you the best :)

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview #3

School: UIC
Notification date: 9/7
Residency: IL
Application completion date: 7/18
GPA (science, overall): s3.73, o3.80
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/22/22/22/none

Interview #1! Exciting
School: Detroit Mercy
Method of notification: email
Residency: California
AADSAS mail-out date: 8/15
Application complete date: 8/21
GPA (science, overall): 3.08, 3.27 (low af, I know, strong upward trend)
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): AA 21/TS 19/PAT 21/ RC 25/none

Reactions: 7 users
Interview #1! Exciting
School: Detroit Mercy
Residency: California
AADSAS mail-out date: 8/15
Application complete date: 8/21
GPA (science, overall): 3.08, 3.27 (low af, I know, strong upward trend)
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): AA 21/TS 19/PAT 21/ RC 25/none

wwhat date is your interview ?

Interview #7

School: University of Minnesota
Notification Date: 9/7
Residency: MI
AADSAS submitted: 7/5
AADSAS complete/verified: 7/11
GPA (science, overall): 4.0, 4.0
DAT: (AA/TS/PAT/RC/any section below a 17): 21/22/24/21/none

Interview #2

School: Western
Notification date: 9/7/17
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/1/17
Application complete date: 8/20/17
GPA (science, overall): 3.2 (BCP 3.37), 3.38
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/22/22/22/none

Last edited:
I really dislike the fact that they base enthusiasm off of a stressful 30-60 minute interview. Some people are naturally better when it comes to talking to new people, and your enthusiasm should not be based on the interview. Instead, it should be based on your application and what dental related activities you've done to gain experience into the profession. I mean is someone that isn't interested in dentistry really going to shadow a dentist for 200 hours? Absolutely not. Therefore, your past experiences should display how enthusiastic you are about dentistry - not a superficial 30 minute interview.

Good luck this cycle! Wishing you the best :)
I disagree.
If you become a dentist, a patient won't care how you have been with other past patients. They care most about how you react with them. If you have a good reputation, you'll get people to come to you. But if you aren't personable and appropriately composed in difficult situations, you aren't as good as the dentist who CAN perform under that pressure.

It's the same with applicants. Yes, some schools make interviews very stressful, but you should be as resilient, professional, well-spoken, and confident as possible. Those qualities will only help you as a dentist.

Sent from my Lenovo YB1-X90F using Tapatalk

Reactions: 7 users
I disagree.
If you become a dentist, a patient won't care how you have been with other past patients. They care most about how you react with them. If you have a good reputation, you'll get people to come to you. But if you aren't personable and appropriately composed in difficult situations, you aren't as good as the dentist who CAN perform under that pressure.

It's the same with applicants. Yes, some schools make interviews very stressful, but you should be as resilient, professional, well-spoken, and confident as possible. Those qualities will only help you as a dentist.

Sent from my Lenovo YB1-X90F using Tapatalk
When you're a dentist, you'll be able to practice your people skills a thousand times a day and continuously refine them. In terms of interviews, you really only get ONE chance to impress the school - make it or break it. So I wouldn't exactly compare being a dentist and talking to patients to an interview that, at this point, is the most important event in our lives.

When you're a dentist, you'll be able to practice your people skills a thousand times a day and continuously refine them. In terms of interviews, you really only get ONE chance to impress the school - make it or break it. So I wouldn't exactly compare being a dentist and talking to patients to an interview that, at this point, is the most important event in our lives.
Agree, indeed the enthusiasm is an important merit for a good dentist, but to judge that only through a short 30-min interview for a dental candidate is not a comprehensive way. The interviews have the advantage to do things in other aspects more accurate, such as stats evaluation etc.

Interview #1
MWU-IL
Date of notification 8/29

Interview Invitation

School: Harvard
Notification Date: 9/8
Method of notification: phone call

Last edited:
Interview #3

School: University of Pennsylvania
Notification Date: 9/8
Residency: WI
AADSAS submitted: 7/2
AADSAS complete/verified: 7/31 (app complete email)
GPA (science, overall): 3.85, 3.89
DAT: (AA/TS/PAT/RC/any section below a 17): 24/24/21/24/none

Reactions: 6 users
Interview #1!!

School: Touro
Notification date: 9/6/17
Residency: WA
AADSAS mail-out date: 06/15/17
Application complete date: 07/17/17
GPA (science, overall): 3.05, 3.17
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/20/20/20/none

Interview is only real meaningful way for school to determine who you are and what you are like as a person. Application is stack of paper. Your interviewer might not even bother to read it. If you are stressing about interviews you can practice talking to people. "Interviewing" not really any different from any other conversation. Dental schools expect you to have met certain requirements BEFORE admitting you. They do not want to admit socially inept individuals who plan on practicing their conversational skills while in school (or worse, only after they graduate). Some state this directly in their mission/values with terms like "collegiality." You have many opportunities to impress your schools. Interview is just one such occasion.

While volunteering I met a fellow volunteer who had hundreds of hours of dentistry shadowing. He also had hundreds of hours of pharmacy shadowing. Could not make up his mind, and was back at the dentistry shadowing again. Numbers do not add up to much if you can't express yourself. My application had less then 200 hours shadowing and a typo in it. I didn't let that, my advisor, or anyone on sdn discourage me from applying. Applying to dental school is a long process; your application and your interview are both important steps. Only you can truly know if you are ready.

Interview #2
School: UAB
Notification date: 9/8
Method of notification: phone call
Residency: AL
AADSAS Mail out: 6/20
Application status: Complete 8/11
GPA (science, overall) Undergrad: 3.14/3.28; Graduate: 3.71/3.71
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21AA/20TS/21PAT/26RC

Actually called to confirm my application was complete because as of last week they didn't have my letters although they were verified three weeks ago. When I talked to Kathy at Admissions she said that she had pulled my file earlier and I was on her next batch of calls to schedule an interview. So I will be interviewing on Nov. 15!

Reactions: 6 users
Hey everyone! After over a month of waiting, I finally got my second interview! :D Don't lose hope

Interview #2

School: Western (CA)
Notification date: 9/7 at 9 AM PST
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/18
Application complete date: Supp complete 6/27, Marked complete 7/14
GPA (science, overall): 3.55, 3.63
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/21/20/22/(none below 17)

Interview #5
School: UNE
Notification date: 9/8
GPA (science, overall): 3.76, 3.84
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/24/21/18/No

Reactions: 1 user
Interview #1

School: UConn
Notification date: 9/7
Residency: New York
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/14
Application complete date: 9/6
GPA (science, overall) 3.54, 3.65
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/23/22/20/none

Coming in kinda late... sorry!

Interview #1
MWU-AZ
Notification Date: 08/15 via email
Residency: UT
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/27
Application Complete Date: 7/30
GPA: 3.8s, 3.9o
DAT: 21/21/20/23 - none below 17

Interview #2
LECOM
Notification Date: 08/18 via email

Interview #3
UNE
Notification Date: 08/22 via email

Interview #4
University of CO

Interview #5
UofU
Notification Date: 08/24 via email

I saw that quite a few people have gotten interviews from Michigan and I haven't heard back yet, which bums me out. Does anybody know if they're still sending out interviews? :)

Reactions: 5 users
Interview #1
Touro
Notification Date: 09/6 email
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/18
Application Complete Date: 8/18
GPA: 3.0, 3.2 science
DAT: (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/21/18/20/QR 16

Interview #2
Roseman
Notification Date: 09/6 email
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/18
Application Complete Date: 8/18
GPA: 3.0, 3.2 science
DAT: (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/21/18/20/QR 16

Interview #8

School: Michigan
Notification date: 9/9
Residency: WI
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/5
Application complete date: 6/5
GPA (science, overall): 3.78, 3.84
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/22/22/24/(none below 17)

That was a pretty awesome 9 day stretch! Congratulations! We've got 2 in common, Midwestern and Utah.

Coming in kinda late... sorry!

Interview #1
MWU-AZ
Notification Date: 08/15 via email

Interview #2
LECOM
Notification Date: 08/18 via email

Interview #3
UNE

Interview #4
University of CO

Interview #5
UofU
Notification Date: 08/24 via email

I saw that quite a few people have gotten interviews from Michigan and I haven't heard back yet, which bums me out. Does anybody know if they're still sending out interviews? :)

That was a pretty awesome 9 day stretch! Congratulations! We've got 2 in common, Midwestern and Utah.
Thanks! Haha yea it was a pretty amazing feeling for those 9 days! But haven't gotten anything since so I still have my fingers crossed for a few schools. Maybe we'll end up as classmates! :highfive: My interview at Midwestern isn't til foreeeever though (Nov 30) so I'm not sure how good my chances are there.

Thanks! Haha yea it was a pretty amazing feeling for those 9 days! But haven't gotten anything since so I still have my fingers crossed for a few schools. Maybe we'll end up as classmates! :highfive: My interview at Midwestern isn't til foreeeever though (Nov 30) so I'm not sure how good my chances are there.
That's good because it should be your last resort. The reason I say that is I remember reading midwestern- IL - was 500k. That's ridiculous. I'm sure you'll get into better and cheaper schools.

Edit: Maybe AZ isn't 500k? But I know Il is 500k.

Interview #1: University of Detroit Mercy (late august notification)
Interview #2: University of Michigan (this past Saturday notification)

Sent out my apps late June (right around the 25th, but don't hold me to that)
GPA: 3.68OA, 3.58 Science
DAT: 21AA/23TS/22 PAT nothing under 17 (QR is a straight 17 though lol)
Enough EC's to make your head explode, but no research
Michigan Resident

Does anybody know when marquette, temple and tufts usually give out interviews?

I'm seeing a lot of people with interviews from places that I've applied. Most people have similar or lower stats and similar submission dates.

Do I need to be contacting these schools to get on their radar?

I'm seeing a lot of people with interviews from places that I've applied. Most people have similar or lower stats and similar submission dates.

I would just hang tight. Best not to contact them because it might come off as sounding like you think you're entitled to an interview. I'm noticing the same thing with myself but they're probably just hanging on to our apps to compare us with some applicants that applied a little bit later in the cycle!

It's not all about GPA and DAT. There are many, many other factors taken into account. Just because you have "better stats" doesn't mean you necessarily deserve an interview. Just hold tight.

I would just hang tight. Best not to contact them because it might come off as sounding like you think you're entitled to an interview. I'm noticing the same thing with myself but they're probably just hanging on to our apps to compare us with some applicants that applied a little bit later in the cycle!
I agree, but I just don't want to end up with post-Dec.1 interviews. I have a few so far, just not exactly at the places that I think I'd like to go. Then again, I'd be happy anywhere.

PS. I see your stats in your signature. Our numbers are just about identical.

I agree, but I just don't want to end up with post-Dec.1 interviews. I have a few so far, just not exactly at the places that I think I'd like to go. Then again, I'd be happy anywhere.

PS. I see your stats in your signature. Our numbers are just about identical.
Yeah, I totally understand. I'm in the same position as you. I say if you can get in contact and ask in a way that conveys your message, you should go for it. Also it seems like a few schools are really late this year because of the switch to the new application system!

PS: let me know what they say if you go for it! I'm curious to know.

Is it just me or does it seem like many schools haven't even started sending invites or have sent very little?

Reactions: 13 users
Has anyone heard back from Marquette yet? I know they send out interviews to out of state applicants in September for October interviews....

Interview #4!!!! :soexcited:

School: UW
Notificationdate: 9/11
Residency: WA
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/6
Application complete date: 6/21
GPA (science, overall) 3.59, 3.66
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): AA 22/ TS 22/ PAT 23/ RC 21/ none below 17

Well, hopefully we meet sometime. My interview with Utah is on 10/2 and Midwestern is 10/9. p.s. Midwestern-AZ is a great school. I know quite a few people that go there and I've attended several of their events. They have some of the best students!

Status
Not open for further replies.