*~*~*~* Official 2017-2018 Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview 2!!!!

School: Boston U
Notification: 8/11, email
State of Residency: CA
App complete: 7/21
GPA (science, overall): 3.55, 3.65
DAT (AA/TS/PAT): 21/21/21

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
When you guys put app complete, was that before or after secondary supplemental?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's when I received the email from the school confirming that my application was complete.
So that's after submitting secondaries and receiving a confirmation email?

Interview #1

School: Detroit Mercy
Notification date:7/24
Method of notification:Email
Residency: OH
AADSAS mail-out date:6/22
Application complete date:7/5
GPA (science, overall): 3.4, 3.5
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/20/22/22/none

Interview #2:soexcited:
School: The Ohio State University
Notification date: 8/11
Method of notification: Call
Application complete date: Supplemental for OSU was completed on 8/2

Reactions: 1 users
Interview #2:soexcited:
School: The Ohio State University
Notification date: 8/11
Method of notification: Call
Application complete date: Supplemental for OSU was completed on 8/2

Wow that was quick! Are you from Ohio?

Reactions: 1 user
I've been following this forum for quite sometime, so I figured it's time for me to make an SDN account. Forgive me if this is kind of off topic, but does anybody have guesses on which schools will be sending out interview invites next week?

Good luck everyone! excited for all of you since we're all going through the same thing (more or less). don't get discouraged everyone has doubts and worries. you're not alone!!

Everyone hang in there. I'm 6 yrs out in private practice doing great. In a partnership projected to be at $3 million in revenue this year. Placing implants and doing the type of dentistry I love to do. Had a 19/19 DAT. 3.6 GPA and was in the top half in my class in dental school. I remember those times seemingly being so difficult. Wondering if I'd measure up etc. Hang in there!

Reactions: 33 users
Everyone hang in there. I'm 6 yrs out in private practice doing great. In a partnership projected to be at $3 million in revenue this year. Placing implants and doing the type of dentistry I love to do. Had a 19/19 DAT. 3.6 GPA and was in the top half in my class in dental school. I remember those times seemingly being so difficult. Wondering if I'd measure up etc. Hang in there!
And here we are, with people telling others to retake the DAT with a 19AA. What a time it is to be alive on SDN.

Reactions: 6 users
And here we are, with people telling others to retake the DAT with a 19AA. What a time it is to be alive on SDN.
He was an applicant maybe 10 years ago? Times change, dental school admission is getting more and more competitive.

Sent from my Lenovo YB1-X90F using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
He was an applicant maybe 10 years ago? Times change, dental school admission is getting more and more competitive.

The average AA for dental school enrollees in 2007 was 19.5

The average AA for first-time enrollees has gone up to 20.3 now. So technically a score of 19 would be considered below average at this time.

Source: 2017-2018 ADEA DS Guide

Thanks. This is exactly what Aunts are for.
I'm not trying to be rude, but the both of you aren't interpreting this data well at all.. I will try and help:
Applicants Enrollees(people who were accepted)
AA TS AA TS
2000 17.8 17.5 18.5 18.3 less than a 1 point gap in each ( .7, .8)
2003 17.8 17.6 18.5 18.3 same gap still ( .7, .7)
2007 18.2 18.1 19.5 19.5 gap grows to 1.3+ (1.3, 1.4)

Keep in mind, these are averages - aka 50th percentiles.

This data is also before the interest in dentistry really took off. The data actually has a continually increasing trend up to 2015. 2015 is the most recent I've seen bulk statistics from the ADEA.

Once 2008 hit, and dentistry soon became one of the top jobs on the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, interest soared. It continues to. My top pick for dental school has set records every year for their incoming applications. The average DAT for acceptance there has gone from ~17AA to 20.1AA from the incoming 2010(?) class Vs. The incoming 2016 class.

If you really want me to show you, I guess I'll make an extremely comprehensive thread on it. It will take many hours though.

"If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

I'm not trying to be rude, but the both of you aren't interpreting this data well at all.. I will try and help:
AA TS AA TS

This data is also before the interest in dentistry really took off. The data actually has a continually increasing trend up to 2015. 2015 is the most recent I've seen bulk statistics from the ADEA.

Once 2008 hit, and dentistry soon became one of the top jobs on the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, interest soared. It continues to. My top pick for dental school has set records every year for their incoming applications. The average DAT for acceptance there has gone from ~17AA to 20.1AA from the incoming 2010(?) class Vs. The incoming 2016 class.

If you really want me to show you, I guess I'll make an extremely comprehensive thread on it. It will take many hours though.

my man has too much time on his hands

Reactions: 4 users
AA TS AA TS

Yes it has increased, but it hasn't increased that much is all I'm saying. There are many people that believe dental school is 10x as competitive today as it was even just 10 years ago. If the average now is around a 20.3 and the average in 2007 was a 19.5, then based on percentiles, an applicant with a 19 would be close to the average applicant admitted in both time periods.

I've been following this forum for quite sometime, so I figured it's time for me to make an SDN account. Forgive me if this is kind of off topic, but does anybody have guesses on which schools will be sending out interview invites next week?

Hey Busybee -

You are right. We can only guess which schools will send out Interview Invitations this week, however
- with that said - we can make an educated guess.

Previous threads show the days of August 15-25 being a popular time for many schools to begin sending out invites.

For example, last year's thread shows many contacts this week and next by Buffalo, Loma Linda, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, Florida, Louisville, Rutgers, Touro and many more. Not every school - but many schools will be inviting in the next two weeks.

Up to this point it has been more marathon than sprint, but that is about to change. This marathon is going to become a sprint - if not for us - for the dental schools. Just consider how many interviews the dental schools will perform between now and Thanksgiving ... so they can get out those Dec 1 acceptance letters?!?

The invitatation switch will flip - in fact, I think it flips this week and next.

And we (or more specifically the dental schools) will be in an all out sprint to shape up their Classes of 2022 - by Dec. 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
This was just brought to my attention today, so I wanted to get your guys' opinions- What if we are invited to two interviews on the same day. Would we be able to call and reschedule one of the interviews? If so, should we tell the dental school the reason behind rescheduling?

This was just brought to my attention today, so I wanted to get your guys' opinions- What if we are invited to two interviews on the same day. Would we be able to call and reschedule one of the interviews? If so, should we tell the dental school the reason behind rescheduling?
If you want to be honest, which you should, just know the school you try to reschedule with will prob think they're lower priority to you (imho)

If you told someone that liked you that you can't hang out with them because someone else that likes you wants to hang out, that original person that liked you would probably not want to hang out with you anymore.

Reactions: 4 users
If you told someone that liked you that you can't hang out with them because someone else that likes you wants to hang out, that original person that liked you would probably not want to hang out with you anymore.
Makes sense :nod:

Hey Busybee -

You are right. We can only guess which schools will send out Interview Invitations this week, however
- with that said - we can make an educated guess.

Previous threads show the days of August 15-25 being a popular time for many schools to begin sending out invites.

For example, last year's thread shows many contacts this week and next by Buffalo, Loma Linda, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, Florida, Louisville, Rutgers, Touro and many more. Not every school - but many schools will be inviting in the next two weeks.

We all know this up to this point it has been more marathon than sprint, but that is about to change. This marathon is going to become a sprint - if not for us - for the dental schools. Just consider how many interviews the dental schools will perform between now and Thanksgiving ... so they can get out those Dec 1 acceptance letters?!?

The switch will flip - in fact, I think it flips this week and next.
Thanks! I haven't seen much action on here(yet) from most of the schools that I applied to. I applied to Nova, UMKC, MOSDOH, ASDOH, WesternU, UNE, and Augusta.

And we (or more specifically the dental schools) will be in an all out sprint to shape up their Classes of 2022 - by Dec. 1.

Well I would say it's more like if you already scheduled plans with a friend to go to an expensive concert and your other friend asks if you want to hangout on the same day. I would think it's reasonable to reschedule a time to hangout, no?

It's similar to scheduling an interview. We spend money on flights and hotels, so how can schools fault us for wanting to reschedule so we don't lose hundreds of dollars.

Well I would say it's more like if you already scheduled plans with a friend to go to an expensive concert and your other friend asks if you want to hangout on the same day. I would think it's reasonable to reschedule a time to hangout, no?

It's similar to scheduling an interview. We spend money on flights and hotels, so how can schools fault us for wanting to reschedule so we don't lose hundreds of dollars.
Well no I think he's saying that he invited two girls to the dance but wants to cancel on one

Yeah but it doesn't work that way. One invites you and you say yes. Another invites you later on for the same day so you have to reschedule with the person who just invited you.
Or there's the event that you don't confirm a date with the first person after they invite you, and while that invite is pending, the girl that you have massive crush on invites you to the dance. Obviously you'd go with your crush and let the less fortunate girl know that you have something important like a wedding to go to.

Reactions: 2 users
Or there's the event that you don't confirm a date with the first person after they invite you, and while that invite is pending, the girl that you have massive crush on invites you to the dance. Obviously you'd go with your crush and let the less fortunate girl know that you have something important like a wedding to go to.
I think whoever asked this question is benefiting nothing but a few laughs cause we blew this out of proportion, if you haven't already scheduled either interview but were invited to both, call your lower preference first and say a different school offered the interview first and politely ask if they have other dates available, if not call your main school and say you called the other one and they had no other dates, if both don't just pick one

Reactions: 3 users
I think whoever asked this question is benefiting nothing but a few laughs cause we blew this out of proportion, if you haven't already scheduled either interview but were invited to both, call your lower preference first and say a different school offered the interview first and politely ask if they have other dates available, if not call your main school and say you called the other one and they had no other dates, if both don't just pick one
You don't have to tell them you're rescheduling because you have another interview. Just use your imagination.
:boom:

Crooked interviewer = crooked dentist, always be honest

There's always some dude that says if you cant do X well then you cant be a good dentist. Chill out. Its dentistry, dont get an over inflated ego. We dont need to be perfect Gods to be a good dentist.

Reactions: 7 users
Interview #1

School: U of Buffalo
Notification date: 8/14
Method of notification: Email
Residency: NJ
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/21
Application complete date: 7/31
GPA (science, overall): 3.6, 3.6
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 22): 24/23/24/27/none

Reactions: 2 users
Interview #1

School: U of Buffalo
Notification date: 8/14
Method of notification: Email
Residency: NJ
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/21
Application complete date: 7/31
GPA (science, overall): 3.6, 3.6
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 22): 24/23/24/27/none

Curious... What dates were available to you on that form?

UF just emailed me asking for a screenshot of my transcripts showing my grades from my summer courses. I put that I received A's in an update to AADSAS but I sent my transcripts in before I completed the courses. Anybody heard of this before?

UF just emailed me asking for a screenshot of my transcripts showing my grades from my summer courses. I put that I received A's in an update to AADSAS but I sent my transcripts in before I completed the courses. Anybody heard of this before?
I just left my summer courses in progress bc the transcript that I send to AADSAS didn't have them. I just send the new transcript and they told me they would upload it (transcript) asap but they won't be able to add it to the GPA breakdown until after Nov. 14.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I just left my summer courses in progress bc the transcript that I send to AADSAS didn't have them. I just send the new transcript and they told me they would upload it (transcript) asap but they won't be able to add it to the GPA breakdown until after Nov. 14.

My transcript showed my courses that were in progress. I chose to update my application and put that I earned an A in both courses but they would not be verified until the academic update. I guess UF wanted to see them?

My transcript showed my courses that were in progress. I chose to update my application and put that I earned an A in both courses but they would not be verified until the academic update. I guess UF wanted to see them?
Its because once you start your application the schools are allow to see them right away. Just send them to the school if that's what they want.

Interview number 3!! UPenn! Stats in previous post.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
Interview #2

School: UPenn
Notification date: 08/14
Method of notification: email
Residency: SC
GPA (science, overall): 3.78, 3.85
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/23/19/22/none

Reactions: 6 users
Interview #2

School: UPenn