Official 2017-2018 Infectious Disease Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
8/3 Harbor-UCLA

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Any comment on Tulane's program and Dartmouth (big institutes but I don't hear much about their ID departments). I am interested in them due to my interest in global health.

7/17: Vanderbilt, UVA
7/18: Drexel University/Hahnemann, Ochsner, Ohio State, UF Jacksonville, UK (Kentucky)
7/19: Iowa, UT Houston, Palmetto/USC, MedStar Georgetown University/ Washington Hospital Center, LSU-Shreveport
7/20: UW (Seattle), Allegheny Health
7/21: UI-Chicago, Tulane, UAB, Indiana U, U of Arizona
7/24: Tufts, Stanford, Yale, U Cincinnati, UMass, NIH
7/25: Emory, UCLA, UCD, Montefiore, Stony Brook
7/26: UNC, Cornell
7/27: U Maryland, USF Tampa, George Washington U
7/28: MUSC, Temple, Georgetown University Hospital
7/29: UCSF Fresno
8/1: UCSF, U of Utah
8/2: UPenn, Duke, BIDMC, UF (Gainesville), Baylor, UT Houston, St. Louis U
8/3: Hopkins, Washington U (St. Louis), JMH/JHS, St. Luke's Roosevelt, Harbor-UCLA
8/4 : Dartmouth, U of Rochester, wake forest

Rejections: 8/3: NIH

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Any comment on Tulane's program and Dartmouth (big institutes but I don't hear much about their ID departments). I am interested in them due to my interest in global health.

Got a call from Dartmouth too. Would love to hear from someone about the program. Same interest in global health is why I applied there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7/18: Drexel University/Hahnemann, Ochsner, Ohio State, UF Jacksonville, UK (Kentucky)
7/19: Iowa, UT Houston, Palmetto/USC, MedStar Georgetown University/ Washington Hospital Center, LSU-Shreveport
8/3: Hopkins, Washington U (St. Louis), JMH/JHS, St. Luke's Roosevelt, Harbor-UCLA
8/4 : Dartmouth, U of Rochester, wake forest, Montefiore

Tulane's fellowship is small - I think only 1 or 2 positions each year. The public health school is big, though, and I think there's a focus on global/tropical health and specifically a lot of interest in parasitic infections. I'm interested in global health, too. I don't know anything about Dartmouth.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, Tulane is big on tropical medicine, which is an interest of mine that you don't find expertise in everywhere. Curious to see what it's like when I interview.

Anyone know much about Baylor's program? I need to cancel a few interviews, and I think that may be one...

8/7: U of Colorado

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

7/27: U Maryland, USF Tampa, George Washington U, Mount Sinai Hospital

Added a missing program

8/9: Pitt, NYU

Last edited:
8/7: U of Colorado, Stanford (2nd cycle?)
8/9: Pitt, NYU, Mayo Clinic (FL)

Rejections:
8/3: NIH
8/8: UCSD

Last edited:
8/9: Pitt, NYU, Mayo Clinic (FL), Thomas Jefferson U

Rejections:

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

8/9: Pitt, NYU, Mayo Clinic (FL), Thomas Jefferson U, Washington U (St. Louis)

Rejections:

Does anyone know of any ID fellowship rank lists? How is everyone deciding what will be a good fit for you?

US News does a rank list but the advice I've received is it's more about what you hope to do; some programs are better for HIV vs transplant vs tropical, etc. Also, if you plan to be an academic what research environment is in that department and what opportunities and support there is for fellows to get started.

So, it's all individual?

Members don't see this ad :)
US News does a rank list but the advice I've received is it's more about what you hope to do; some programs are better for HIV vs transplant vs tropical, etc. Also, if you plan to be an academic what research environment is in that department and what opportunities and support there is for fellows to get started.

So, it's all individual?

The only US News rank list I could find was for ID and Immunology grad school programs. Is that the one you're talking about?

Would you all prefer a big program with lots of a fellows or a smaller program with just a few? A friend of mine is an ID fellow at Sloan Kettering and he says to go somewhere with at least 2 fellows/yr... I think I'm looking for somewhere with more like 5 or 8. Does anyone know where to find out how many positions each program has available this year? I have last year's NRMP list but programs are always cutting down.

Thank you!

The only US News rank list I could find was for ID and Immunology grad school programs. Is that the one you're talking about?

Would you all prefer a big program with lots of a fellows or a smaller program with just a few? A friend of mine is an ID fellow at Sloan Kettering and he says to go somewhere with at least 2 fellows/yr... I think I'm looking for somewhere with more like 5 or 8. Does anyone know where to find out how many positions each program has available this year? I have last year's NRMP list but programs are always cutting down.

Thank you!

MGH has the largest program with 10 fellows a year. UW has 8 along with Univ of Maryland. Not that many programs nationally have more than 5 fellows per year (Montefiore in NYC is the largest in the city with 5 per year), UCSF has 5, UCLA has 7, UMiami has 5, Emory 6, Rush 5, NIH 6, BID 5, Tufts 6, Mayo 5, Wash U, Upenn 5, Vandy 5, Baylor 5, UT Houston 5. That is looking at the NRMP data for 2017 match freely available, and that seems to be it in terms of programs with > 5 fellows per year, which you can tell is not many.

As someone who went through this process in the last year I would have to agree with your friend, it would be hard to go to a place with only 1 fellow per year, and I would caution applicants who are applying this cycle to review the NRMP data for the quota # of spots versus how many spots each program filled. Last year in particular was the most competitive year in ID since the down-trend of 2014/2015 and I think since moving to the "all-in," model this cycle (now) will be even more competitive. Would caution and review the programs that did not fill their spots last year and in years past as this should be a "red flag," and would be disappointing to match to a program that may not even be functioning in a few years due to lack of fellows.

To find out how many position each program has available will be open once you can log in and rank on NRMP. There is a timeline, and there is a day/quota that the programs has to input their final # of spots (I think a week before rank list is due in November). If you log in, now or the next few months it may be last years data and could be updated, thus I would use last years data as a guide and then you will likely be told the day of your interview if not you could ask (if its that important to you).

The US News Rank List is for graduate school programs and some of it can be extrapolated but not all. Search through old threads here you will see debates about the top programs, but I would echo what was mentioned before. If you have a specific niche or goal in mind already (HIV, Transplant, Hep C, Fungal pathogenesis, Staph Aureus, etc). certain programs are going to be stronger than others based on their faculty and research in those fields. Most of the top tier programs are going to be solid overall with the top candidates picking a certain place over another based on a faculty mentor and/or field of interest that the applicant would like to pursue. My advice would be if you do not have a specific field of interest already picked out, keep an open mind, talk to current fellows, talk to past fellows, get a feel for the faculty during interview day or pre-meeting (can usually get a vibe of how they project themselves) and go with your gut.

8/9: Pitt, NYU, Mayo Clinic (FL), Thomas Jefferson U, Washington U (St. Louis)
8/10: U Miami/JMH

Rejections:

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Has anyone started interviewing yet? Post your experiences here and what you think about the programs you've been to!

8/9: Pitt, NYU, Mayo Clinic (FL), Thomas Jefferson U, Washington U (St. Louis), MGH

Rejections:

Has anyone heard from UCIrvine, LAC+USC, Columbia, Brown?

Just rejections this time around, folks, nothing to see here

8/9: Pitt, NYU, Mayo Clinic (FL), Thomas Jefferson U, Washington U (St. Louis), MGH

Rejections:
8/3: NIH, Harbor-UCLA
8/11: U Minnesota

Hey guys, I just realized that two of my IV invites went to my email spam. Just an FYI for you to check that part of your email too!!!

8/8: U of Florida COM (Jacksonville)
8/11: UT Southwestern (Dallas)

Rejections:

8/11: UT Southwestern (Dallas), Mayo Clinic (AZ)

Rejections:

8/14: Brown

Rejections:

Anyone have any inside info on either the AZ or FL Mayo programs?

8/14: Brown, Rush

Rejections:
8/14: Loyola

8/14: Brown, Rush, Columbia

Rejections:

8/15 : Case western

Rejections:

8/15: Case western
8/16: NY-Presbyterian (Queens)

Rejections:

Hi everyone,

Did all of you send your application as soon as ERAS opened (July 14-ish)? or did someone ended up sending applications later on? I did not send my applications until 07/24, so wondering if this would have any impact on how I am getting interviews.

Thoughts?

Hi everyone,

Did all of you send your application as soon as ERAS opened (July 14-ish)? or did someone ended up sending applications later on? I did not send my applications until 07/24, so wondering if this would have any impact on how I am getting interviews.

Thoughts?

I sent in mine 4-5 days late. I think I lost out on the early ones :(

8/16: NY-Presbyterian (Queens), BU

Rejections:

Hi is anyone still getting interviews? I submitted my application 10 days late and I am worried that impacted my chances? I have gotten most of the west coast interviews but I havent heard anything from New York, Chicago, Brown, Upenn?

Got NYU today. Looks like they're just starting to send them out from there maybe?

Has anyone heard from Chicago programs yet -- Northwestern or University of Chicago specifically?

We need a goals of care discussion for this thread

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have information about U Maryland program? I know they are big on HIV, how about transplant?
Thank you

Anyone going to ID week this year? I'm pretty pumped about. Sessions look awesome. Sounds like things have slowed with the interviews. Wondering if we have a biphasic invitation pattern.

8/22: UT San Antonio

Rejections:

Anyone going to ID week this year? I'm pretty pumped about. Sessions look awesome. Sounds like things have slowed with the interviews. Wondering if we have a biphasic invitation pattern.
Not going to ID week this year. I went back to check previous years' posts and did not see the biphasic trend. It could have been that at that point everyone started interviewing and just did not continue updating the list?

Stay cool,

Cheers!

Not going to ID week this year. I went back to check previous years' posts and did not see the biphasic trend. It could have been that at that point everyone started interviewing and just did not continue updating the list?

Stay cool,

Cheers!

From my experience if you are still hoping for interviews around this time they are likely few and far between. Most programs especially big name programs have invited all of their applicants and ones coming after this would be due to written request, cancellation (rare) or something else. I would estimate your competitiveness based on the invites you've gotten to this point. Now the fun part, which is interviewing (it actually is fun).

I would research the institution and your interviewers ahead of time to get a feel for their interest and area of research. Remember don't BS, interviewers can see right through that (just because they match you up with leading HIV expert, don't tell him/her you're interested in HIV because they are interviewing you). Have a consistent vision and goal throughout the trail, and most importantly enjoy yourself, its a great time.

8/23 : Penn state Hershey

Rejections:

any idea about the program at Penn state Hershey ?

8/3: Hopkins, Washington U(St. Louis), JMH/JHS, St. Luke's Roosevelt, Harbor-UCLA
8/24: Boston University (2nd wave?)

Rejections:

8/3: Hopkins, Washington U(St. Louis), JMH/JHS, St. Luke's Roosevelt, Harbor-UCLA
8/25: Orlando Health

Rejections:

Interview etiquette question: are folks sending thank you's post-interview or no?

8/25: Orlando Health

Rejections:
8/28: BIDMC

Interview etiquette question: are folks sending thank you's post-interview or no?

Good question. I think it's a nice touch and I'm sure the folks you send them to would be appreciative. The problem is that you often interview with 6 or more faculty members each interview; so if you sent a personalized, hand-written note to each of them, you can see where it could be come pretty taxing (especially if you have several interviews back to back). Perhaps sending a thank you to the PD would be a happy medium?

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.