Official 2017-2018 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nothing yet on my end. I have my fingers crossed hoping they will announce by Friday night.
they will most likely send the emails on friday. Not that it is a big deal but may be ACG should change the timeline by a week and send the emails by 7/7 from next year.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess the real question here is: How important is it to submit by 7/15? (as opposed to say 7/18 or 7/20) Most programs state they will receive applications at least through 7/31. Will one's application be "at the end of the queue"? Does it reflect poorly on one self that one were unable to get everything ready?
It doesn't really matter as long as your application is strong and you have people to call on your behalf. If the applicant is a FMG with no research, requires visa and has average scores, whether he/she submits on 7/6 or 7/15 or 7/18 or 7/30- nothing helps. I know someone who submitted 7/18 for onc last year and matched

Members don't see this ad :)
For most programs, if I have freedom of choice between 3 GI attending LORs or 2 GI/1 IM attending, which is preferable? This is in addition to the PD letter of course. Do programs really want to see a separate IM attending letter?

Hey folks,

I see some questions flying back and forth about submitting for the 7/15 or waiting for LOR to be uploaded. Unfortunately my LORs wasn't uploaded until today so it probably won't be processed until early to mid next week. I'm not sure if it would be wise to wait until then to submit my app or should I send it on time without the letters.

Thanks for the help and good luck to everyone this season.

Yea but what can I do?? It happens. It's all good. I have a couple pubs and a couple abstracts/presentations. I should be ok

will make zero difference in the invites you get. You can bring it up in the interview if you want.

What is the point of having a decision process at all for the ACG mtg if "abstracts rarely get rejected"? Logistically, how does the conference center even actually hold that many poster exhibits if more or less all abstracts are accepted?

What is the point of having a decision process at all for the ACG mtg if "abstracts rarely get rejected"? Logistically, how does the conference center even actually hold that many poster exhibits if more or less all abstracts are accepted?

have you ever been to one of these conferences? There are lots of posters...

have you ever been to one of these conferences? There are lots of posters...
Not for GI but for many others in different fields, including one at the Orlando convention center which is obviously enormous. Pgy1 here, going to the ACG mtg in Oct. Just wanted to get a feel for it since it was brought up. Good luck this season folks

They accept almost all the abstracts. It is a way to get more attendees and thus more money. This is another way of showing how "big" they are.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question guys. I have a couple of good publications which were accepted last month. Both were E-published (Ahead of proper publication) last month as well. One got PMID as well. Can I include them under ''Peer reviewed journal articles and abstracts''?. The only problem comes for volume, issue etc. I thought In volume section, I can write 2017(Epub ahead of publication). In issue, NA.In pages, NA. IS that ok to do? If not, where should I put both? Thanks

Certified and submitted. Good luck everyone!!
My USMLE transcript was authorized for release a few weeks ago. But it was processed once I certified the application yesterday. I am reading that it may take up to 1-2 business days to process. When i checked the status of USMLE transcript today, it is still listed as "not uploaded". Is it the same for you, since we applied around the same time?

My USMLE transcript was authorized for release a few weeks ago. But it was processed once I certified the application yesterday. I am reading that it may take up to 1-2 business days to process. When i checked the status of USMLE transcript today, it is still listed as "not uploaded". Is it the same for you, since we applied around the same time?

Same thing for me. For how much we are paying for eras, they are awfully vague about things...

same, they say it takes 1-2 business day

I saw a few posts on this topic from prior years, but just wanted to confirm . I have a couple of abstracts submitted to the ACG meeting. ACG will likely send out the acceptance emails around Jul 15. Is it worth waiting until 15th for the emails or better to apply early on 6th ?

Should the accepted abstracts be included under the poster section or peer reviewed articles/abstracts other than published?

Thanks!!

Question for the PTAL and Cali programs. I did not answer either that I needed a PTAL or that I had a Cali license since neither applied to me, I was under the impression that this was only an issue for residency and not fellowship since we could obtain it before starting fellowship, just double checking that I did the right thing?

@funkreatitis, some program still need PTAL, I emailed few programs where I wanted to apply in California. All programs need California license before starting the fellowship. In addition, some need PTAL.

@funkreatitis, some program still need PTAL, I emailed few programs where I wanted to apply in California. All programs need California license before starting the fellowship. In addition, some need PTAL.

Shoot, could you tell me who needs PTAL? Thats a wasted application.

They accept almost all the abstracts. It is a way to get more attendees and thus more money. This is another way of showing how "big" they are.

They publish the rejected abstracts in the Oct supplement too. So even rejected = sort of accepted. That's ACG for you. Its still a good meeting though (except I hate Orlando)

@Gastrapathy, Publishing in the supplement does not mean anything. They publish in the supplement as a proof that you paid 60$, it does not mean anything. That is why or what my mentor says, one should never write a poster in publication; always use it in a poster section!

Could you tell us which programs required PTAL? At least UCLA and Stanford website only says Cali license is required...

@Gastrapathy, Publishing in the supplement does not mean anything. They publish in the supplement as a proof that you paid 60$, it does not mean anything. That is why or what my mentor says, one should never write a poster in publication; always use it in a poster section!
Agree. Another problem is the way ERAS categories the publications. The option includes publication/abstracts & published/other than published. So if you think of it, your posters are abstracts that get published in the supplements of a AJG or gastroenterology; which is technically not wrong if you were to list it as a published abstract. I think ERAS should just provide a section for abstracts and just have categories of oral presentation and poster presentation for these abstracts.

Reactions: 1 user
Any idea when we should begin hearing from programs?
Last cycle 16/17- first post was from Jul 18 whereas 15/16- it was jul 23, but not everyone is posting here, so who knows

Hi, my program director's letter is not processed yet, but will be released sometime this week... Do you think I should send out an email to programs to download PD's letter when available or programs will automatically notify when it's released?

Hi, my program director's letter is not processed yet, but will be released sometime this week... Do you think I should send out an email to programs to download PD's letter when available or programs will automatically notify when it's released?

No, don't be that guy.

Guys, I am new here, I know this might have been asked before but I need advise. I have 4 LOR's uploaded but in process. Should I apply today or wait till i least have three letters uploaded. I hope they all be ready by friday. Do you think it makes a difference if I apply tomorrow vs friday?

Also, for the USMLE transcript, should I certify and submit without choosing the programs so my transcript get uploaded and prevent further delay or just wait and do it all at once.

Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
got an invite from Methodist Dallas yesterday, submitted Saturday -AMG

Good luck everyone! Let's start posting our interviews below so we can track which programs have sent out invites already. Post name of program, date invite was sent under whichever category you belong to.

AMGs

IMGs without visa restrictions (US citizens from non-US schools, green card holders)

Visa requiring IMGs

Just a courtesy email from Rutgers RWJMS to say that they received the application.

nah

Last edited:
AMGs

IMGs without visa restrictions (US citizens from non-US schools, green card holders)

Visa requiring IMGs

7/19 - Ochsner Clinic

Reactions: 1 users
AMGs
7/20 Cincinnati

Visa requiring IMGs

7/19 - Ochsner Clinic

Just for my own morale/confidence, I am really hoping to get one this week. Good luck everyone. Long time lurker, thought I would join in.

This may be a dumb and paranoid question. If I was inducted into AOA in medical school, but didn't keep paying my dues and am listed as an "inactive member," is it a problem if I listed AOA under my memberships/awards in my ERAS application? Should I cough up the money and pay my dues for this year (just for this application cycle)?

TLDR; should I pay my AOA honor society dues for the purposes of fellowship applications?

Wondering what people make of this message on ERAS:

"Attention Osteopathic Medical Applicants: AOA-accredited programs can be found under the “DO” filter selection on the Search Programs page along with their AOA Program ID. As AOA-accredited programs receive ACGME accreditation through the single graduate medical education accreditation system, they will receive their new ACGME program ID and will be listed under the “MD” filter selection on the Search Programs page. Programs that have both AOA and ACGME IDs and are participating in ERAS will be listed under both the “MD” and “DO” sections."

I wasn't aware I can apply to DO fellowships as well. Or is this message a general message for everyone sans GI applicants.

Wondering what people make of this message on ERAS:

"Attention Osteopathic Medical Applicants: AOA-accredited programs can be found under the “DO” filter selection on the Search Programs page along with their AOA Program ID. As AOA-accredited programs receive ACGME accreditation through the single graduate medical education accreditation system, they will receive their new ACGME program ID and will be listed under the “MD” filter selection on the Search Programs page. Programs that have both AOA and ACGME IDs and are participating in ERAS will be listed under both the “MD” and “DO” sections."

I wasn't aware I can apply to DO fellowships as well. Or is this message a general message for everyone sans GI applicants.

I was under the impression that it was a general ERAS announcement, likely geared toward residency applicants. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was under the impression that it was a general ERAS announcement, likely geared toward residency applicants. Correct me if I'm wrong.
looks like a generic message. try selecting AOA GI programs. there are none on my list.

Yep, it's a generic message geared towards IM residencies. I called one of the DO programs to clarify this.