Official 2016 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transposony

Do or do not, There is no try
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
So my final nbme which was 18 was a 250. Now all that's left is the free 120 and my exam is 14days from now
I figured out my problem, it's that I overthink, get the hard questions right and easy ones wrong. How do I eliminate them small mistakes. I see myself making close to a 260 if I do so. How did you strike out the little mistakes on your exam

Need advice...
So I have been studying since August and I am scheduled to take it Nov 21.
Here are my NBMEs that I took so far
NBME 12: 177 (~9 weeks out)
NBME 13: 202 (3 weeks out))
NBME 16: 224 (2 weeks out)
NBME 17: 220 (10 days out)
ooooo and I also took the Free 120 at the prometric center and got 75% :(
I will be taking NBME 18 on Monday.

Should I postpone? My target is at least 225...I feel very burned out and I feel like I don't know anything right now :arghh:

Hi :)

Did you end up taking your exam?
My test is on Dec. 15th and I scored 220 on NBME 2 months ago and between 226-228 on UWSA. 232 on NBME 15.
It's been a while and I don't really have anything to assess myself now (I postponed my exam).

I'm curious :)

hello guys
i took name 17 and got 194
did uw twice average is 66%
I am so disappointed
please any advise?should i do other q bank like kaplan or rx?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did the free 120, got an 85% kinda disappointed. What does that correlate to? Mind you my nbme 18 was 250, nbme 17 247, nbme 16, 251, uwsa 249. I'm so scared I won't hit the 250 mark. My exam is in 9 days

From previous posts in this thread, so I'm not sure if it's actually accurate but FWIW:

"Free 120: 91% (~254)"
"most people who were scoring ~80% on the free 120 were doing ok on the NBME and went on to score 225+ on the actual test."

From previous posts in this thread, so I'm not sure if it's actually accurate but FWIW:

"Free 120: 91% (~254)"
"most people who were scoring ~80% on the free 120 were doing ok on the NBME and went on to score 225+ on the actual test."[/Q
But what if a person is scoring 250s on their nbme and scores an 85% on the free 120?

So I did both the 8 hr Kaplan Sims and got 73 & 76... does anyone know what that means (ie. 3 digit score)?

can someone help me please :(

I feel devastated...my exam is scheduled for Nov 8th..in a week. I don't know what im doing wrong and i've been studying my ass off for the past +3 months. I'm shooting for >220.

NBME 13 (~3 wks ago) = 205
NBME 15 (1.5 wks ago) = 205
NBME 17 (today) = 198

I've already finished Uworld and i'm doing a 2nd run of the incorrect/marked questions. I've done pathoma multiple times. and I've also FA at least 2 times. I was devastated that I didn't improve between nbme 13 and nbme 15 and to top it off, i did even worse on nbme 17 today. My exam is in a week and i dont know what to do at this point.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
can someone help me please :(

I feel devastated...my exam is scheduled for Nov 8th..in a week. I don't know what im doing wrong and i've been studying my ass off for the past +3 months. I'm shooting for >220.

NBME 13 (~3 wks ago) = 205
NBME 15 (1.5 wks ago) = 205
NBME 17 (today) = 198

I've already finished Uworld and i'm doing a 2nd run of the incorrect/marked questions. I've done pathoma multiple times. and I've also FA at least 2 times. I was devastated that I didn't improve between nbme 13 and nbme 15 and to top it off, i did even worse on nbme 17 today. My exam is in a week and i dont know what to do at this point.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Push back the date fam! Are you reading all of the explanations in uworld ? I personally would add USMLE Rx questions if you are starting to memorize the questions. Also If your physio foundation is shaky read brs physio: it's a quick read and may help .

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Push back the date fam! Are you reading all of the explanations in uworld ? I personally would add USMLE Rx questions if you are starting to memorize the questions. Also If your physio foundation is shaky read brs physio: it's a quick read and may help .

I did read all the explanations and spent a lot of time going through each block. The problem is that if i were to push back, i'd have to request a LOA from my school and I know that's looked down upon by residencies. So I'm very conflicted at this point

Got a 209 on my Step 1. Happy I passed on the first try, but not sure if I will be able to get an IM residency. I'm a Caribbean IMG, still have to do rotations, and take Step 2. Can anyone shed some light on my situation?

Got a 209 on my Step 1. Happy I passed on the first try, but not sure if I will be able to get an IM residency. I'm a Caribbean IMG, still have to do rotations, and take Step 2. Can anyone shed some light on my situation?
Apply to 100+ programs that are IMG friendly... Assuming you are a US citizen and do better on step 2 (230+), you probably have a chance...

Last edited:
I did read all the explanations and spent a lot of time going through each block. The problem is that if i were to push back, i'd have to request a LOA from my school and I know that's looked down upon by residencies. So I'm very conflicted at this point
Um, if you are an IMG, a LOA wont hurt you as bad as a low step score. But im not a PD maybe theres others in the forum that are more equipped to help you out. ID say get THE LOA , sign up for DIT or Kaplan. It sounds like you are not understanding basic concepts which is why your score isnt hot . Good luck

Most (if not all) schools put 'administration LOA', so you can fill in the blank if they ask you during the interview. Therefore, I am not sure how much an LOA would hurt if one can be creative about it.

Congrats on the passing score. How were your NBME scores?

Congrats on the passing score. How were your NBME scores?

My NBME's were all over the place. I got 83% on the free 120, NBME 13 online was 239, NBME 15 offline was 225, NBME 18 online was 205. UWSA 1 was 230, UWSA 2 was 215. I couldn't postpone my exam due to financial reasons. Hope this helps!

My NBME's were all over the place. I got 83% on the free 120, NBME 13 online was 239, NBME 15 offline was 225, NBME 18 online was 205. UWSA 1 was 230, UWSA 2 was 215. I couldn't postpone my exam due to financial reasons. Hope this helps!

Thank you! I can see that for you NBME 18 was most predictive. Was this your most recent NBME? You did very well on NBME 13, how long ago was this before your exam? You are right, I guess that does put you all over the place when comparing your stats to your final score. At least you are done and congrats once again! :)

Thank you! I can see that for you NBME 18 was most predictive. Was this your most recent NBME? You did very well on NBME 13, how long ago was this before your exam? You are right, I guess that does put you all over the place when comparing your stats to your final score. At least you are done and congrats once again! :)

I had taken NBME 18 back in July, and reviewed my incorrect a week before my exam. I didn't take it again because I had reviewed the questions with a friend back in August, so I sort of knew the answers. My most recent practice exams near my test day were NBME 13, free 120, and UWSA 1. Hence why I went for the exam. I guess I just need to work my butt off for rotations and Step 2 and 3 for IM residency. Thank you and good luck :)

Supposed to take my test next week. Freaking out, I just want to pass.

NBME 13- 205 -48 incorrect
NBME 15 - 200 - 51 incorrect
NBME 16 - 213 - 45 incorrect
NBME 18- 198 ☹️ - 64 incorrect

I don't know if I can improve my score anymore. I have been studying for 6 months and I just want to get it over with. Should I delay anymore or take the test?

My school made us take NBME 16, NBME 13, and NBME 15 like 4 months ago. I retook them on my own, I never looked up the answers to those three NBMEs.

I was hoping to take it late next week (Sunday)

Late to the game (FMG) but I just got my score back and thought I could contribute.
Reading about other people's experience on here helped me a lot in terms of motivation during dedicated time.

Real thing: 260-265

Offline:
NBME 12 : 80% ~ 225 (pre Rx)
NBME 13 : 90,6% ~ 250 (pre-UW)
NBME 15 : 92,96% ~ 257 (6.5 weeks out)
NBME 16 : 91,5% ~ 254 (5.5 weeks out)

Online:
UWSA 1 : 271 (4 weeks out)
NBME 17 : 254 (3 weeks out)
UWSA 2 : 258 (2 weeks out)
NBME 18 : 256 (8 days out)
Free 150 : 96% correct (5 days out) ~265(?)… felt much easier than the real deal, but turned out to be the most accurate predictor…

USMLE-Rx: 85%, first pass, random tutor & random timed
Uworld: 85%, first pass, timed random

I'm not sure in what way my preparation is applicable to the average US student, so I'll start with a few disclaimers:
FMG from a pretty decent european medical school, did well in classes throughout (not extraordinary, but well above average).

Had 7 weeks of dedicated preparation time during term break.
I also have family and work responsibilities, so I knew beforehand that I couldn't study for more than maybe 8 or 9 hours a day (9-5 and 1-2 hrs in the evening) with at least 1 day off a week.

During the 2 months before dedicated period I had some relative down-time for a research project so I went through USMLERx and did a pass of FA and a 2nd pass of Pathoma and Sketchy (did a first pass during the school year).

During my dedicated period I did 1.5x UW, a pass through Sketchy Micro and another pass though the general principles section of FA. I also kept doing the bro's anki cards (aroung 150-200 a day), as well as flash cards I made on UW facts I felt were important.
I didn't do another full pass of FA or Pathoma, mostly because I didn't want to water down my efforts (ie. not enough time to do it properly).
I also hated sitting down and reading FA and feel that I got much more out of doing flash cards and questions.

Keep in mind, that I already had a pretty good grasp of most topics in FA due to the prior passes and the anki deck (see my initial NBME scores).

Overall, I felt that NBME 17 and 18 were the closest to how the test felt. I'd recommend 18 for sure, as it has some of those long-ish vignettes with unnecessary lab results and such.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Hope it helps somebody.

Thanks a lot for the write-up. Did you find Bros Pharm Deck helpful to do?

Theoretically you should be OK most people that miss six a block from what I've heard usually score in the 240s but it's all on a curve so it's tough to say but good luck

Exam date: Nov 29th
I think my score report is coming next week.(?)

I can't wait any more for my score... this is torture. First week after exam it was more of a relief than anything else. The second week I was able to relax, and kind of ignore the wait. Now that the 2nd Wednesday passed and it's just a matter of days, I'm feeling the anxiety coming back. I don't have awesome scores on NBME's like the majority of SDN members. But I do feel that the exam asked more about my strong subjects than anything else. Either it went really good or I just failed miserably (I know, right). I will write my experience once I receive my score. Congratulations to everyone that has passed this test and shared any information on this thread. For those who are preparing, trust your studies, you CAN do this!

Reactions: 2 users
Quick question:

I'm taking my exam mid June and have recently started doing the USMLE-Rx Qbank. I should be done with it by mid January. Afterwards, do you guys recommend doing Kaplan Qbank or jump into Uworld? Ideally, I would like to run through Uworld twice before I take the exam and my dedicated study period doesn't start until May (classes start Jan and end in the beginning of May). I want to do as many questions as possible, do you guys think I'll have enough time to hit Kaplan and Uworld?

Goal is 240+
Exam in 1.5 weeks. Just did NBME 17. NBME 18 next week.
Any advice on how I should spend my remaining time in the next 1.5 weeks to achieve my goal?

UWorld (timed, random) 1st pass = 71%; 2nd Pass = 90%
UWSA1 (3.5 wks) = 260
NBME 15 (3 wks) = 230 (done on no sleep & rushed thru)
NBME 16 (2.5 wks) = 250
UWSA2 (2 wks) = 247
NBME 17 (1.5 wks) = 244

Last edited:
Goal is 240+
Exam in 1.5 weeks. Just did NBME 17. NBME 18 next week.
Any advice on how I should spend my remaining time in the next 1.5 weeks to achieve my goal?

UWorld (timed, random) 1st pass = 71%; 2nd Pass = 90%
UWSA1 (3.5 wks) = 260
NBME 15 (3 wks) = 230 (done on no sleep & rushed thru)
NBME 16 (2.5 wks) = 250
UWSA2 (2 wks) = 247
NBME 17 (1.5 wks) = 244
you can even hit 250s , review fa and your UW notes.

i took my exam on 15th this month but OASIS doesn't show any info regarding that (exam date, score reporting etc) . Why is that?

Need advice...
So I have been studying since August and I am scheduled to take it Nov 21.
Here are my NBMEs that I took so far
NBME 12: 177 (~9 weeks out)
NBME 13: 202 (3 weeks out))
NBME 16: 224 (2 weeks out)
NBME 17: 220 (10 days out)
NBME 18: 207
NBME 15: 217
ooooo and I also took the Free 120 at the prometric center and got 75% :(
I will be taking NBME 18 on Monday.

Should I postpone? My target is at least 225...I feel very burned out and I feel like I don't know anything right now :arghh:

Just got my result this am...took it Dec 1
Oh well, the nerves got the best out of me
Sign

Got 250 on NBME 18, but I feel like it was a fluke... I guessed on a lot of questions.
I see people saying "trust your NBMEs", but c'mon theres no way it can be always accurate

Got 250 on NBME 18, but I feel like it was a fluke... I guessed on a lot of questions.
I see people saying "trust your NBMEs", but c'mon theres no way it can be always accurate
what about your other nbmes? The funniest thing I have noticed is that nbme 18 tends to underpredict, this week three of the people I know ended up with a 5-10 point boost from their nbme 18(261,265,244)

These are my stats @ gk12321. I hope you're right about NBME 18 being underpredictive.

UW Self-Assessment-1 (3.5 wks) = 260 (def a massive overprediction)
NBME 15 (online) (3 wks) = 230 (done on no sleep & rushed thru as a test to see what I could do in poor conditions)
NBME 16 (online) (2.5 wks) = 250
UW Self-Assessment-2 (2 wks) = 247
NBME 17 (online) (1.5 wks) = 244
NBME 18 (online) (1 wk) = 250
Free 120 (3 days) = 84%

NBME AVERAGE (15, 16, 17, 18) = 244

3 more days until Step 1 ... All I want for Christmas is a 240

Last edited:
Did the free 120, got an 85% kinda disappointed. What does that correlate to? Mind you my nbme 18 was 250, nbme 17 247, nbme 16, 251, uwsa 249. I'm so scared I won't hit the 250 mark. My exam is in 9 days

Wow our scores are eerily close. Our goals are different tho haha

Wow our scores are eerily close. Our goals are different tho haha
yes actually weirdly close but my goal is bit higher. I have a few days left to my result showing. Just here shaking in my boots, hoping I reach my goal. I felt like I bummed that exam though. All I can do now is just pray and hope