Official 2016-2017 Rheumatology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejection from BIDMC today (9/18)

Same here :(

How are interviews going? Feels like you get asked the same questions everywhere?

Is anyone going to Alabama? Have they given any confirmation dates? Still havent heard back from them

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last 2 interviews I went on had people cancel on the morning of the interview. Classy.

Last 2 interviews I went on had people cancel on the morning of the interview. Classy.
I'm surprised people do that. If I were a program director, I would contact other programs (especially since rheum such a small specialty) and tell those PDs how irresponsible those individuals are. After all, if you can't even show up to a commitment like an interview, chances are you will not be a very good fellow anyways.

Same here :(

How are interviews going? Feels like you get asked the same questions everywhere?

Is anyone going to Alabama? Have they given any confirmation dates? Still havent heard back from them

Hi there. Interviews are tiring but going well. I've met lots of really great interviewees on the trail. I've been getting asked the same standard questions everywhere, but the stronger research programs ask different, more specific questions about how much time I'll dedicate to research, specific career goals in 5/10yrs etc. I have an interview coming up where the itinerary says 2 people will be interviewing us at a time, which should be interesting....never had that before. How have they been for you?

For UAB, I would email the coordinator again to confirm. When I emailed her right after I got the invite, didn't hear back until I emailed her again about a week after.

Hi there. Interviews are tiring but going well. I've met lots of really great interviewees on the trail. I've been getting asked the same standard questions everywhere, but the stronger research programs ask different, more specific questions about how much time I'll dedicate to research, specific career goals in 5/10yrs etc. I have an interview coming up where the itinerary says 2 people will be interviewing us at a time, which should be interesting....never had that before. How have they been for you?

For UAB, I would email the coordinator again to confirm. When I emailed her right after I got the invite, didn't hear back until I emailed her again about a week after.

Thanks for the advice. I reached out to them again, so hoping for success this time.

With respect to interviews, its been pretty much the same on all. Lots of questions on why Rheumatology, talk about your research projects, goals after rheumatology, where do you see yourself in 10 years time.

Some programs interview a lot of people for 1/2 spots...has me nervous for the match

How would guys rank the NYC programs- specifically Columbia, HSS, NYU and Sinai

Some of the programs directors have been telling applicants that this year has been crazy and we should apply as many programs as possible.
I try not to take personally but every time I hear these comments, I feel they don't want me and feel discouraged.

In interviews, one of them asked to tell "the most difficult rheumatology case I had ".

Anyway, let's try the best!

Anyone is looking to exchange the interview date at The University of Vermont Medical Center, Mine is on Sept 30th. Thanks!

Thanks guys for your input. Is there any chance of getting iv a this time?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, lurker here. Does anyone have any info on the following programs: Georgetown, Pitt, Cedars-Sinai? Thanks!

When is the good timing to send "your program is top choice" email?
Thank you,

When is the good timing to send "your program is top choice" email?
Thank you,

I've been told right before programs and candidates start to certify Rank order lists so probably towards the end of October.

What do you'll think about contacting programs after interviews? Is it beneficial to email everyone and everywhere you've interviewed? I've been getting mixed feeback with some people you should and others saying to focus on your top program/s.

I've been told right before programs and candidates start to certify Rank order lists so probably towards the end of October.

What do you'll think about contacting programs after interviews? Is it beneficial to email everyone and everywhere you've interviewed? I've been getting mixed feeback with some people you should and others saying to focus on your top program/s.

Thank you for the reply.
I am also getting mixed feedback, too. I actually contacted one fellow in my priority program and asked about it. She encouraged me to send an email to their PG to express my interest and so I did.
It might be a good idea to ask the fellows in the program you are interested and ask their opinion.

Need your help a bit. I don't have geographical preference, but just want to know how would you rank UAB vs Uiowa vs Umass? Thank you.

Need your help a bit. I don't have geographical preference, but just want to know how would you rank UAB vs Uiowa vs Umass? Thank you.
I do not know much about the other two programs but one of the attendings I worked closely with had nothing but praise about U of Iowa. I think the location suffers but the program is supposed to be outstanding otherwise.

I do not know much about the other two programs but one of the attendings I worked closely with had nothing but praise about U of Iowa. I think the location suffers but the program is supposed to be outstanding otherwise.

I read that UAB is at least ranked #11 at US news, compared to UIowa and UMass; But in terms of quality of training, how prestigious are these programs, and how diverse of patient population, does anyone have any clues? Thank you.

How would you rank these programs? Pen state, Robert wood medical center, Cooper, Stony Brook? Thank you.

How would you rank these programs? Pen state, Robert wood medical center, Cooper, Stony Brook? Thank you.

Its hard to compare when I didn't interview at all the places but just based on where I did and what I've heard to try to help. I think your comfort level and being able to achieve what you want is more important than reputation however.

Penn > Stony Brook > Rutgers > Cooper

Its hard to compare when I didn't interview at all the places but just based on where I did and what I've heard to try to help. I think your comfort level and being able to achieve what you want is more important than reputation however.

Penn > Stony Brook > Rutgers > Cooper
Thank you so much.

Any body got a prematch position ?
Seeing as though that is technically not allowed, I'd be surprised if anyone actually admitted to it even if that were the case "under the table".

Any recommendations on how to rank the Philly programs?
I interviewed at Temple, Drexel and Jefferson. No Penn unfortunately.

Thanks!

Not going to lie - the waiting is killing me. So much quicker than residency though. Hope y'all are hanging in there.

Yea I'm surprised this forum has been so quiet the past month. I'm definitely ready to get match results though so I can stay figuring out wherearly my family and I will be next 2 years.

Are we suppose to get a notification of eligibility for SOAP?
I was watching tutorial video and it says ALL applicants notified of eligibility Friday before the Match week.

Good luck on the match to all of you.

On the match day at 12 pm you will get an email with one of 2 possibilities:
1- Congratulations you matched at "program name"
2- Sorry you didn't match to any program. In this case you will have an access to unfilled programs and you can start contacting them immediately. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

On the match day at 12 pm you will get an email with one of 2 possibilities:
1- Congratulations you matched at "program name"
2- Sorry you didn't match to any program. In this case you will have an access to unfilled programs and you can start contacting them immediately. Good luck

Thank you for the info. :)

Congrats to everyone who matched! Difficult year all around - rheum had the lowest match rate (66.0%) of any specialty (if you include pulm in pulm/cc and heme in heme/onc). I don't think that makes it the most competitive (applicant stats also go into that) but it definitely isn't the least.

Matched to my #1 program.:)
Thank you everyone , and the forum for the info and support.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations to everyone who matched! So glad that this day is here as the anticipation was really getting to me. Thanks for all the advice from everyone during this cycle. I am really surprised how competitive rheum has become the past couple years but glad I can start the next step.

Reactions: 1 user
Matched to my #1 program :)

Thanks to many on this forum who gave advice regarding interview preparation, ranking etc. Helped a lot

Matched my #2! So happy as it was such a tough list to make! Congrats to everyone who matched!

If you didn't match, there is always the SOAP and next year, just build up your CV! Mine is almost entirely case reports, some not even Rheum related. Don't lose hope! You can make your dream a reality!

Matched at my number 1 choice! Congratulations to all this who matched and good luck for scramble to those who didn't, don't lose hope!

Is that number of 44% unmatched ( previous poster said 66% matched) true? Wow, rheumatology has become super competitive.

I am very happy to match to my #3 and feel truly blessed. Congrats on all of those who matched. Best of luck to those who scramble!

Yep! True story - login to the R3 system and click on "my reports." It has data for each specialty so you can double check it yourself.

Re: doctor-mom - apologies if you had a rough year. It was a bad one for rheum apps. There are 7 spots in the scramble according to the data I posted above. Login to the R3 system and scroll through the state by state data - you should be able to figure out which programs have an unmatched spot and could reach out to your PD for their contact info maybe?

Last edited:
So technically there are 7 unfilled spots but University of Minnesota was not accepting applications this year as there was no funding so technically there were only 4 unfilled spots (although I definitely could have counted wrong as I looked through it quickly)

So technically there are 7 unfilled spots but University of Minnesota was not accepting applications this year as there was no funding so technically there were only 4 unfilled spots (although I definitely could have counted wrong as I looked through it quickly)

Good clarification - helpful to know for sure. Congrats on matching!

Sorry if that information wasn't correct - I just looked at the R3 data under the "my reports" area. According to it, the programs who had a quota but didn't match someone are:

Yale: two spots, no matches
University Louisville: one spot, no match
UMinnesota: 3 spots, no matches
Vanderbilt: one spot, no match

Per a previous poster, it sounds like Minnesota isn't going into the scramble. Could totally be possible for some of the others as well (maybe the got someone outside the match or something?) so if people said there are only two spots then there's probably more to it than the published data.

Apologies again if that was misleading to anyone and best of luck to all.

its getting crazy every year. Competition went up from 28 to 34 % now. Not able to understand why Rheumatology demand is increasing day by day?

Congratulations everyone. I matched this year into rheumatology and am quiet excited about this new opportunity for career growth. As someone who went unmatched last year I can tell you that this is a specialty that is getting more competitive as people now realized the importance of having a decent life style along with a decent pay. The job market is good and the field is highly intellectual and for me it was the best decision I took.

If you went unmatched this year please do not give up, analyze your resume and be brutally honest with yourself identifying weaknesses and working on them.

To my co fellows this upcoming year, I would love to brainstorm with you all about how to make the best out of these two years of training to be a well rounded rheumatologist. I started with getting Rheumatology secrets. Please share tips about resources for fellowship?