Official 2016-2017 Nephrology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nothing is brutal. Don't push the panic button. Match doesn't give an accurate estimate of interest in nephrology. You also need to take scramble or post-match recruitment into consideration.
please..if someone applied to nephrology and went unmatched and had to scramble for a spot...there is something very wrong with them.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing is brutal. Don't push the panic button. Match doesn't give an accurate estimate of interest in nephrology. You also need to take scramble or post-match recruitment into consideration.

I was responding to the job he described, which sounded awful

edit

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In a remote hospital - 4 nephrologists working as hospitalists and all private groups fighting with each other for consults/not have their patients seen by nephrohospitalists. Hospitalist groups dont want to employ anymore nephro trained people, to avoid the politics.

What a situation to be in !!! pathetic and we see absolutely no action from ASN or the programs. do a fellowship and diminish your chances even for a hospitalist job!!!

Nephrology has a terrible attrition rate . In my group of 3 fellows I know 2 are no longer practicing nephrology. Unfortunately because of the drop in quality applicants nephrology programs are resorting to picking up burnt out hospitalists or applicants who couldn't make it into competitive specialities and who then accepted a position without having any interest in nephrology . But then academic attending nephrologists don't want to see patients or get phone calls at night and therefore they keep taking substandard applicants.

I think if there were to drop the number of positions to about half i.e 150/200 the quality of applicants would automatically rise and then with the reduced supply job market prospects would improve , salaries would rise . But that will lead to pain for the training programs in the short run but with long term gain for the speciality. But it's not human nature to usually take short term pain for long term gain.

Can we re-direct this forum to its original purpose of informing about the programs in Nephrology?

I have something to share about a program I recently visited in Univ of Louisville in Kentucky. First of all they don't have any fellow at all!!!

A few blogs ago , they had described this place as malignant program !! Well ... I had to live it by myself. They have a good interventional program there but ......

The first attending that interview me , and probably the only one that read my application , was thankful of my visit. But after that , the attendings were texting during the interview with out looking at me.

The program director ... who has been there only for 3 years , and only one year w fellows , as they have not had any fellows for last 2 years ...she was very condescending . I asked her a few questions about the distribution of the rotations but the numbers of the months spent didn't add up. So I told her I didn't understand and she literally grabbed a piece of paper and a pen and wrote on it and double lined certain things and told me with a very ugly tone "do you know get it ???"

She belittle me and I turned down my head and said to her that I was sorry for asking her a question.
She later realized that she totally lost it there!!
Im not even a fellow , just an applicant and I was about to cry. Can't imagine how she treats the fellows and now I see why they don't have anybody . Looking at the blogs I think they are correct. Is malignant.

Last guy said " well I didn't even read your CV", and I said "it doesn't surprise me , nobody did, makes me feel special"

I just want to say something for those who interviewed there... careful.

I proved what they said in the blogged 2 years ago now that I interviewed there.

And Program directors open your eyes !! Allowing behaviors like that in interviews where the attending spends 10 minutes texting is the worst marketing for your program and not even to talk about the explosive behaviors!!!

Jesus Christ. Why would anyone apply to this field?