Official 2016-2017 ID Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anything this week for anyone? Seems to be dying down

Members don't see this ad.

8/17 Vandy - again, probably sending out in waves :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just when I had given up hope, Mayo and vandy.

Anybody else get a request to set up a telephone interview with Mayo prior to actual interview ? Is this standard

Also since seems like the door isn't closed for second wave invites anybody heard from Emory after the initial wave of invites?

Last edited:
Mayo and Brown this week.

Last edited:
I have a question please. If you had to choose between interviewing at University of Minnesota or Brown which would you choose and why? My interview days are very limited now.

I have a question please. If you had to choose between interviewing at University of Minnesota or Brown which would you choose and why? My interview days are very limited now.

hmm if geography isn't a deciding factor I think University of Minnesota

Just when I had given up hope, Mayo and vandy.

Anybody else get a request to set up a telephone interview with Mayo prior to actual interview ? Is this standard

Also since seems like the door isn't closed for second wave invites anybody heard from Emory after the initial wave of invites?

+1 for the Emory question

Members don't see this ad :)
in all my interviews, so far, they asked the same 3 questions.......I believe everybody here know what they asked......in my past IV, 9 interviewers, all asked the same thing!! What do you think they are actually looking for? Thanks

in all my interviews, so far, they asked the same 3 questions.......I believe everybody here know what they asked......in my past IV, 9 interviewers, all asked the same thing!! What do you think they are actually looking for? Thanks

Why ID? where do you see yourself in 10 years? If you could be a kitchen appliance, what would you be?

I think they are looking for stoves, but that's just my humble opinion :)

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone still doing handwritten thank you letters these days? Or have we finally grown up to emails? Don't get me wrong, I'll write by hand if you all and everyone still is, it's just overly time consuming.

Did not hand write for residency...
Likely do email...
Who mails things anymore ? :)

Everyone still doing handwritten thank you letters these days? Or have we finally grown up to emails? Don't get me wrong, I'll write by hand if you all and everyone still is, it's just overly time consuming.

Do you email everyone who interviewed you (even if they were 7 of them) or only the PD ? and 2. are you planning on emailing them/the PD within a week of the interview or waiting till much later during ROL ? thanks

Do you email everyone who interviewed you (even if they were 7 of them) or only the PD ? and 2. are you planning on emailing them/the PD within a week of the interview or waiting till much later during ROL ? thanks

I've been emailing them soon after the interview (and yup everyone who I met with), just general interview etiquette. But there are a few programs I plan to send a follow up email to later on in the season. That's just my approach though.

I've been emailing them soon after the interview (and yup everyone who I met with), just general interview etiquette. But there are a few programs I plan to send a follow up email to later on in the season. That's just my approach though.

Thanks

+1

Background: Attending at a Southeastern academic ID program now 4 years post training

Briefly scanned these posts. Pretty familiar with the fellowship, especially academic setting. Below are some pearls (take it or leave it)
- Choose a place you want to live and preferable one the has post job market, ID is not a procedural field thus you will have time to explore, hobbies, etc..
( if you don't then something is either wrong with you or the program or both). I preferred not to sell a kidney so being in the SE is great place to live and play.
- Figure out if academics versus private practice is right fit, this can be figured out latter on. Trend is against private non hospital affiliated (like all areas of medicine).
- If your academic then pick up an interest in a particular area. Doesn't have to be ground breaking research.
- Learn other aspects of ID: (ex) business side, starting up an ASP or just running one, infection control.
- Find a mentor, preferably one that has experience, is practical and has knowledge of both private and academics
- Realize that it is highly unlikely that you are going to make millions in ID (as if this was not already obvious)

fellowship searching:
Be frank about what you want (not rude, just honest), most senior faculty will smell dishonesty a mile away plus this a job after all. You may think ivy league is the gold ,but outside of 100% academics no one cares (they really don't), your goal should be patient exposure, autonomy (within reason) to become competent and efficient.
Read about the conditions in your patients even more so start forming differentials on common questions (example: what are the causes of eosinophilia CSF). What you put in is what you get out.

Lastly, ID fill was in low 50s last year (2015-2016), so unless your sitting on a federal conviction you will find a spot.

Reactions: 2 users
Background: Attending at a Southeastern academic ID program now 4 years post training

Briefly scanned these posts. Pretty familiar with the fellowship, especially academic setting. Below are some pearls (take it or leave it)
- Choose a place you want to live and preferable one the has post job market, ID is not a procedural field thus you will have time to explore, hobbies, etc..
( if you don't then something is either wrong with you or the program or both). I preferred not to sell a kidney so being in the SE is great place to live and play.
- Figure out if academics versus private practice is right fit, this can be figured out latter on. Trend is against private non hospital affiliated (like all areas of medicine).
- If your academic then pick up an interest in a particular area. Doesn't have to be ground breaking research.
- Learn other aspects of ID: (ex) business side, starting up an ASP or just running one, infection control.
- Find a mentor, preferably one that has experience, is practical and has knowledge of both private and academics
- Realize that it is highly unlikely that you are going to make millions in ID (as if this was not already obvious)

fellowship searching:
Be frank about what you want (not rude, just honest), most senior faculty will smell dishonesty a mile away plus this a job after all. You may think ivy league is the gold ,but outside of 100% academics no one cares (they really don't), your goal should be patient exposure, autonomy (within reason) to become competent and efficient.
Read about the conditions in your patients even more so start forming differentials on common questions (example: what are the causes of eosinophilia CSF). What you put in is what you get out.

Lastly, ID fill was in low 50s last year (2015-2016), so unless your sitting on a federal conviction you will find a spot.

Good advice. Thank you.

I only email PD and cc PC. I guess the only exception would be if I requested a specific interviewer and they granted me that wish then it would be more polite to email them a thank you too.

BTW Georgetown Medstart sent out invitations yesterday.

fellowship searching:

Thank you so much for this advise. I have a f/u question. You mention patient exposure. On average, how many consults per day per fellow would you say would allow for a good balance between patient exposure and being able to "read about the conditions in your patients". I've interviewed at places where they flat out tell me they don't have time to read because of busy consult services. I've found that in a service with 2 fellows, rounding on 8 new patients and 8 follow ups leaves little time and energy to read. On the other hand, an average of 3 new consults in a one-fellow consult service seems like too little exposure. Any comments?

How are interviews going for everyone?
Very different than Residency interviews..which I think is overall good.
Hope everyone is enjoying themselves

Thank you so much for this advise. I have a f/u question. You mention patient exposure. On average, how many consults per day per fellow would you say would allow for a good balance between patient exposure and being able to "read about the conditions in your patients". I've interviewed at places where they flat out tell me they don't have time to read because of busy consult services. I've found that in a service with 2 fellows, rounding on 8 new patients and 8 follow ups leaves little time and energy to read. On the other hand, an average of 3 new consults in a one-fellow consult service seems like too little exposure. Any comments?

Anyone? opinions on the appropriate number of consults per day for a nice reading/experience balance?

Some programs I've interviewed at said they cap at 4 new consults a day.
Not sure if this is a good or bad thing..

How are interviews going for everyone?
Very different than Residency interviews..which I think is overall good.
Hope everyone is enjoying themselves

I've been having fun on the interview trail - it's definitely a different vibe than residency interviews. Much more of trying to sell you on the program as opposed to feeling like you're being grilled. I'm ready to get my last few over with though. This hopping on a plane as soon as you finish a shift, interviewing, and coming right back on to work is wearing me out. MS4s don't know how good they have it...

Has anyone interviewed at Baylor Houston yet ? If yes, what were your thoughts on the program.
Also, I would appreciate any input regarding Yale ID program. I am interested in HIV/AIDS track, although I have no current experience in basic/ translational research , I would love to get started with some translational research in HIV related immunobiology. I've only interviewed at a handful programs incl Denver, UIC, Yale, UPMC, BU and Tufts. Baylor and UTH still pending. Still confused how to rank ......

Has anyone interviewed at Baylor Houston yet ? If yes, what were your thoughts on the program.
Also, I would appreciate any input regarding Yale ID program. I am interested in HIV/AIDS track, although I have no current experience in basic/ translational research , I would love to get started with some translational research in HIV related immunobiology. I've only interviewed at a handful programs incl Denver, UIC, Yale, UPMC, BU and Tufts. Baylor and UTH still pending. Still confused how to rank ......

I interviewed at Baylor. Great facilities, the medical center/complex is very impressive. They have a combined track with MD Anderson which if your interested in immunobioloigy could be a good option to explore however that would be more cancer/transplant based rather in HIV. However one of the fellows there was doing a long term project on immunology based project if I remember correctly (dont quote me though, all the interviews are starting to blur). They have NIH t32 3rd year available (i think 2 of the 5 fellows where on it and doing a 3rd year). Fellows seemed happy, cheap city, lots of driving though, funding for master and MPH opportunities. Overall seemed like a good program, not sure where it would fall in terms of the programs you have already interviewed at, I would say def above UTH though.

My 2 c

Got a last minute interview invite from MSKCC, any thoughts? Anybody interviewed there?

MSKCC with beautiful facilities and heavy on transplant/immunocompromised host given their patient population
Arguably the best location in Manhattan with subsidized housing as well
Many faculty with their own basic science lab (Pamer, Hohl, etc.)

Last edited:
MSKCC with beautiful facilities and heavy on transplant/immunocompromised host given their patient population
Arguably the best location in Manhattan with subsidized housing as well
Many faculty with their own basic science lab (Pamer, Hohl, etc.)

Thanks !

" you will be on our rank list" anyone knows what that means? Do the programs not rank all the applicants?

" you will be on our rank list" anyone knows what that means? Do the programs not rank all the applicants?

I would assume so. Think about for residency, probably people who do not end up on rank lists due to a red flag on or before interview day.
This is an interesting and very vague response to you though:

"thanks for coming, you will be on our rank list."
Hold tight we're close..

Hey guys, how would you guys rank Mayo vs the other big name programs. All I know is that they are leaders in ortho/cardiac infections.

I would assume so. Think about for residency, probably people who do not end up on rank lists due to a red flag on or before interview day.
This is an interesting and very vague response to you though:

"thanks for coming, you will be on our rank list."
Hold tight we're close..

Yeah I guess all will be made clear soon enough

Submitted my rank list. I know ID is less competitive. I still couldn't help myself but to get nervous and worry about the match result.
I haven't heard from any programs that I interviewed to in regards to "ranking me".
I know ppl say one should take with a pinch of salt if the program says they are gonna rank you via email or calls. It's just reassuring that they take your application more personally and seriously.
I wish I get those emails and phone calls!
Just a thought!

images

Rank List going in soon. Good luck to all those deciding.
Now we wait.

Rank list certified! Good luck on the match everyone! Interviewing and meeting all the other ID nerds was fun; now I'm just excited to see who my co-fellows will be!

And as a public service announcement: If you believe in them, get that "I'm ranking you first" email out ASAP. I heard from several programs this week that they already made their rank lists this week.

I'm struggling to decide between Baylor-Houston and UAB. Have heard more good things regarding UAB- anyone have thoughts?

I'm struggling to decide between Baylor-Houston and UAB. Have heard more good things regarding UAB- anyone have thoughts?
Didn't go to either but I think on paper UAB > Baylor-Houston unless you are big into transplant.

Hi friends, long time lurker, who has been following this thread. Hope everyone had a good season. As we approach the rank list certification day I was hoping to get some input on the ranking a few programs. Location not a big deal, mostly looking at strength of the program. I am interested in academic ID (no particular field or focus in mind). Hoping to do clinical or translational research in the future.

- Vanderbilt
- UPMC
- Baylor
- Mayo
- Sinai
- MSKCC
- Montiefore

Not sure if at this point I'm just splitting hairs and it may just depend on "what you want to do in ID" . Or are their clear differences in the strength and academic reputation of the above. Would appreciate any input and good luck to everyone with match and staying sane in the upcoming month !!!

Didn't go to either but I think on paper UAB > Baylor-Houston unless you are big into transplant.

theiryhenry- Just curious since I'm considering Baylor Houston for general ID. what are the downsides of the program? My main goal is to procure a faculty position in a reputable academic center after my training.

Last edited: