Official 2016-2017 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure about #2 Penn or #3 Mayo. Both are great programs. I placed Penn ahead of Mayo, because I thought the fellows at Penn are from better residency programs (and medical schools) than the fellows at Mayo. This might sound naive, but it means something.

This's one of the weirdest thing I've heard when ranking programs.
If myeloma is really one of your interests, I encourage you to rethink that.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I would really like your advice with my rank order list. I am interested in heme malignancies and BMT, but also want a well rounded program. I'm undecided on academics vs private practice, however I'm leaning more toward academics (think I'll take my 3 years in fellowship to decide). I am listing the programs based on my preference. I would like to train in a bigger place but I think the training I receive will trump everything else. I'm confused about my top 3 and keep changing my mind about it.

1. Case Western
2. U of Maryland
3. Tufts
4. UAMS
5. Tulane
6. OU
7. WVU
8. Northwell

Hoping I don't go below this. Please help me out. Any input would be great!

Thanks!

Hi all,
I am restricted to NYC for personal reasons. I am torn between Cornell and Columbia. I like them both a lot but I feel each have different advantages and disadvantages. Appreciate any advice.

Columbia-
I like the ability to single board and not have to do so much benign heme.
The overall name of the institution is stronger and it is a CCC
It probably competes less with MSKCC and its patient population is quite different
More outpatient time in year 1 and continuity clinic is an attending clinic which I like more than a "fellows clinic"
They pitched the program to us as one that is in a "growing phase" and they have been actively recruiting renowned faculty and opening up faculty positions

Major weakness: Small department for the field I am interested in going into

Cornell:
Better location
More established program with strong faculty (especially in the field I am most interested in)
Opportunities to collaborate with MSKCC

Those were my observations from the interviews. I was leaning towards Columbia but some of my mentors are telling me that Cornell is better for my field.

Thanks so much!!

Based on what I hear from my attendings and people who were trained there, Columbia easily beats Cornell.

Members don't see this ad :)
I placed Penn ahead of Mayo, because I thought the fellows at Penn are from better residency programs (and medical schools) than the fellows at Mayo. This might sound naive, but it means something.

If you've read any of the residency match results threads, you'll see that matching into an elite residency takes a much more well qualified applicant from a Top 50 med school than an applicant from a Top 10 one...

But if that's your logic, it sounds like you belong at an "Ivy" in the Northeast among your people.

It is naive...and it means nothing. But if it makes you feel better about yourself, OK I guess.

This's one of the weirdest thing I've heard when ranking programs.

If you've read any of the residency match results threads, you'll see that matching into an elite residency takes a much more well qualified applicant from a Top 50 med school than an applicant from a Top 10 one... But if that's your logic, it sounds like you belong at an "Ivy" in the Northeast among your people.

Thanks for the help! I know Mayo has a great myeloma program and those few Indian attendings are very famous. But I don't know if I'll go into myeloma for sure. If ignoring my naive thought and looking at solid tumor and overall reputation, which is better, UPenn or Mayo? Thanks!

Hi

I have a hard time deciding between Montefiore and Northwell. I am mostly interested in heme(though not 100% decided). I want to be involved in research projects during fellowship to keep my options open for a possible academic career. Would appreciate any advice.

Last edited:
Mayo has a great myeloma program and those few Indian attendings are very famous.

borderline inappropriate.
Hope you didn't drop bombs like that on your interviews, otherwise you won't be matching anywhere.

Hi

I have a hard time deciding between Montefiore and Northwell. I am mostly interested in heme(though not 100% decided). I want to be involved in research projects during fellowship to keep my options open for a possible academic career. Would appreciate any advice.

If you're interested in benign heme, montefiore is on its own level in terms of heme faculty/research/expertise. Will also probably set you up better for academia compared to NSLIJ

I was wondering if anyone can advise me. I am interested in solid tumors particularly GI and debating between Mayo and Yale as a first choice. No location preference. Many thanks in advance !!

I'm having a very hard time deciding between these three.
I eventually want to do academics, mostly clinical trials and clinical/translational research in leukemia, MPNs.

NIH (I understand the pros and cons)
Yale
Mayo, Rochester

Thank you guys.

Any ideas about end of season communication - email vs letters vs nothing?

looks OK I guess. Although I'm struggling to understand what you you liked in Kentucky that you ranked it above Cincy, Nebraska and Baylor.

Thanks for your input:
I am really not sure about these four programs: KY, Cincy, NE and MCGA. My take on them one by one:

Baylor: very heavily packed with super busy clinical rotations, with packed clinics, fellows were really tired and unhappy.

NE: has only two spots which was really disappointing. They admit every pt with chemo in last 6 months and take primary for any reason. Fellow on call will triage the pt through their own "treatment center" over the phone and will come to admit patient if needs admission. Sounded very taxing to me with only 6 spots in program.

Cincy: I was really not sure why this program doesn't have good scores on paper, like US news, NCI designation etc. I am really not sure if it makes any difference in fellow's training. Otherwise it seemed well equipped program with OK no. of faculty. Faculty seemed pretty teaching friendly. Their no of spots was also reassuring total 16 that fellows can have electives available easily. Opportunity to get certificate and Master's in transnational science, overnight hospitalist coverage.

KY: NCI designation, (Not sure how much it matters), OK no of spots, (9), seemed pushing for research, good learner-faculty ratio, faculty seemed teaching friendly, fellows were happy, Gen Onc consult only, overnight Hospitalist coverage.

MC GA: Total 9 spots, PD was very approachable, opportunity for Masters, had good amount of electives in 3rd yr, faculty was OK.

I am rearranging it now for your kind consideration. Please take a look again for your kind and candid input. would highly appreciate it.

IA
MC Wi
Cincy
KY
MC GA
NE
Baylor
Washington Hospital Center.

I am having a hard time deciding between NYU and CCF. I want to stay in academics in hem malignancies in NY area for the long-term. I felt CCF was definitely stronger in hem malignancies during interview but most of the past fellows in NYU went to academics (both solid tumor and hem) in NY and surrounding area. Can someone please advise which one should I rank higher given my long-term geographical preference. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone can advise me. I am interested in solid tumors particularly GI and debating between Mayo and Yale as a first choice. No location preference. Many thanks in advance !!

you can't go wrong with either. both locations suck really bad. flip a coin

Reactions: 1 user
I'm having a very hard time deciding between these three.
I eventually want to do academics, mostly clinical trials and clinical/translational research in leukemia, MPNs.

NIH (I understand the pros and cons)
Yale
Mayo, Rochester

Thank you guys.

I would favor NIH for people wanting a lab career more so than clinical trials but that's fine... nice list if you like them that way. Clinical training wise your list is upside down.

Any ideas about end of season communication - email vs letters vs nothing?

nothing. If you're dying to do something, you can send your #1 to let them know. not gonna change anything. If one of your mentors or letter writers is close friends with the PD of your #1 you can ask them to call/email them.

Thanks for your input:
I am really not sure about these four programs: KY, Cincy, NE and MCGA. My take on them one by one:

Baylor: very heavily packed with super busy clinical rotations, with packed clinics, fellows were really tired and unhappy.

NE: has only two spots which was really disappointing. They admit every pt with chemo in last 6 months and take primary for any reason. Fellow on call will triage the pt through their own "treatment center" over the phone and will come to admit patient if needs admission. Sounded very taxing to me with only 6 spots in program.

Cincy: I was really not sure why this program doesn't have good scores on paper, like US news, NCI designation etc. I am really not sure if it makes any difference in fellow's training. Otherwise it seemed well equipped program with OK no. of faculty. Faculty seemed pretty teaching friendly. Their no of spots was also reassuring total 16 that fellows can have electives available easily. Opportunity to get certificate and Master's in transnational science, overnight hospitalist coverage.

KY: NCI designation, (Not sure how much it matters), OK no of spots, (9), seemed pushing for research, good learner-faculty ratio, faculty seemed teaching friendly, fellows were happy, Gen Onc consult only, overnight Hospitalist coverage.

MC GA: Total 9 spots, PD was very approachable, opportunity for Masters, had good amount of electives in 3rd yr, faculty was OK.

I am rearranging it now for your kind consideration. Please take a look again for your kind and candid input. would highly appreciate it.

IA
MC Wi
Cincy
KY
MC GA
NE
Baylor

Don't change your list because a random person on the internet tells you so (yes that includes me). We are just siting on the couch giving out opinions. You're the one who has to go there for 3 years. if you liked KY better please keep it up there.

We said it before, the NCI designation thing is irrelevant to fellowship training. It's politics. It doesn't mean that they treat more complicated cases or do more research.

# of spots shouldn't be a major factor either. Big hospitals will need more fellows. doesn't automatically translate into better training (maybe less calls).

And LOL at "pushing for research" at KY. ask them how many of their faculty has NIH grants or published in high-impact journals in the last year and let us know. Don't buy that nonsense.

Need help with Chicago programs. I do have a preference to stay in Chicago because of personal reasons. Interested in solids - more GI but plan for hybrid practice in the future (working with residents and in private office). I would like to pursue phase trials in the future, if possible .

My current Rank list is

1) Rush
2) UIC
3) Loyola
4) Stroger

Thanks.

Thanks for your input:

IA
MC Wi
Cincy
KY
MC GA
NE
Baylor

Cincy: Fellows seem happy, not much going on with Txp (2-3 autos and 1 allo every month) there, but solid seems fine. Have VA and continuity clinic there for 3 years. Fellows did a mix of academic and pvt. academic was hybrid jobs in UCincy only. Good opportunity for lab research if one wants to do. one of the chief fellow was doing it. Also opportunity to do certificate of masters in research training courses, if one has time.

Training wise, it seems UK is stronger than Cincy, but busy.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, fellowship application season has been a long but rewarding journey, and all about to come to an end soon. This forum has been very helpful in learning about the programs, in a manner which is outside the purview of the interview day. Coming to the crucial decision on rank order list is a tough one and I need you guys to give some input.
My rank order list is as follows, in an order I think is appropriate:
1. UCSF
2. U of Chicago
3. U of Colorado
4. Karmanos
5. USC
6. Tufts
7. Roswell Park
8. Montefiore

Any suggestions? I am interested in malignant hematology. Thanks

Hi everyone, fellowship application season has been a long but rewarding journey, and all about to come to an end soon. This forum has been very helpful in learning about the programs, in a manner which is outside the purview of the interview day. Coming to the crucial decision on rank order list is a tough one and I need you guys to give some input.
1. UCSF
2. U of Chicago
3. U of Colorado
4. Karmanos
5. USC
6. Tufts
7. Roswell Park
8. Montefiore

I don't know about your geographic preference, However, very reasonable order. although I think you should place Roswell park above Tufts.

I am having a hard time deciding between NYU and CCF. I want to stay in academics in hem malignancies in NY area for the long-term. I felt CCF was definitely stronger in hem malignancies during interview but most of the past fellows in NYU went to academics (both solid tumor and hem) in NY and surrounding area. Can someone please advise which one should I rank higher given my long-term geographical preference. Thanks.
I think if you know your self would be happy in NYC or for sure you will come back to NYC then NYU is your program.

Hey everyone ! I have 3 IVs ( UC Irvine, U Colorado / Denver, and Baylor School of medicine/ Houston) and I want to decide on the rank today. My long term plan is to be in a practice. While in the fellowship, I am looking for spending time to study as well as family. Any idea on the rank is highly appreciated.

Hey everyone ! I have 3 IVs ( UC Irvine, U Colorado / Denver, and Baylor School of medicine/ Houston) and I want to decide on the rank today. My long term plan is to be in a practice. While in the fellowship, I am looking for spending time to study as well as family. Any idea on the rank is highly appreciated.
given what you said I think you should rank it like this,
1-U Colorado
2-UC Irvine
3-Baylor

Need help with Chicago programs. I do have a preference to stay in Chicago because of personal reasons. Interested in solids - more GI but plan for hybrid practice in the future (working with residents and in private office). I would like to pursue phase trials in the future, if possible .

My current Rank list is

1) Rush
2) UIC
3) Loyola
4) Stroger

Thanks.
Sure. Could swap the first 2 easily. A friend of mine worked at Loyola for a few years after fellowship and ran screaming.

Sure. Could swap the first 2 easily. A friend of mine worked at Loyola for a few years after fellowship and ran screaming.

Thank Gutonc. Where would you place Uni of Missouri - Coloumbia and William Beaumont in this rank list, if I decide to rank them as well ?

I am still very confused about my ROL. Can anybody give me an opinion on how you would rank my #3 to #9?. Biggest priority is to be in academics. I am interested in solid tumors (No particular tumor in mind. Interested in genetic aspects of solid malignancies). Geography is not a limitation.

#1 and 2: Mayo and Wash U (I am sure about these)
#3-9: (This is the order I have ranked them at this time)
- Baylor Houston
- City of Hope (Harbor-UCLA research track)
- University of Minnesota, Roswell Park
- University of Southern California
- Tufts
- Karmanos
------
- Baylor: The program has a good name - lot of good mentors. But the fellows seemed overworked and I am not sure how much time they have to be involved in research.
- City of Hope: I liked their structure which allows for plenty of time for research. However, the fellows are always running between city of hope campus and Harbor. I am not sure about how good are the mentors there in involving fellows in research.
- University of Minnesota: Big name for transplant. Did not seem like there was much going on in solid tumors.
- Roswell Park: The fellows have a busy first year. A lot of faculty left recently. Not many fellows pursue a career in academics.
- University of Southern California: I did not like their structure of doing heme or onc each year. The fellows were busy. However, they do have a lot of good mentors.
- Tufts: Small program. The program director seemed to be pushing for a lot of research. I do not think that they have a lot of good mentor there though.
- Karmanos: Fellows were very busy. They have a lot of research going on but the fellows are not involved in many of them.
---
Can @gutonc or @visari or anybody else for that matter tell me how you would have ranked my number 3 to 9? I understand that this is my ROL and I do not have to rank them in the order you would but I would really appreciate your opinion.

1. UCSF
2. U of Chicago
3. U of Colorado
4. Karmanos
5. USC
6. Tufts
7. Roswell Park
8. Montefiore

I don't know about your geographic preference, However, very reasonable order. although I think you should place Roswell park above Tufts.

Thanks for the input. I don't have a geographical preference, going mostly by my interest in malignant hem/BMT and aiming for an academic career. My confusion mostly stands for these programs, rank 4-7

1. Karmanos: Fellows mostly are busy with clinical rotations and though there is plenty of research at the Cancer Center, fellows are not a part of this, but BMT program is a big one in Mid West and ever expanding.
2. USC: Schedule is mostly 3 years of clinical rotation, lest a few months of electives and even during that, you have 4 clinics/week.
3. Tufts: Well made schedule, program is inclined on providing access to available research opportunities in the area of interest of the fellow. Hard but achievable given ample protected time for research.
4. Roswell Park: Decent opportunities in malignant hematology, BMT program is slowly expanding with patients coming from Canada.

Any suggestions, tem or gutonc?

Thanks for the input. I don't have a geographical preference, going mostly by my interest in malignant hem/BMT and aiming for an academic career. My confusion mostly stands for these programs, rank 4-7

1. Karmanos: Fellows mostly are busy with clinical rotations and though there is plenty of research at the Cancer Center, fellows are not a part of this, but BMT program is a big one in Mid West and ever expanding.
2. USC: Schedule is mostly 3 years of clinical rotation, lest a few months of electives and even during that, you have 4 clinics/week.
3. Tufts: Well made schedule, program is inclined on providing access to available research opportunities in the area of interest of the fellow. Hard but achievable given ample protected time for research.
4. Roswell Park: Decent opportunities in malignant hematology, BMT program is slowly expanding with patients coming from Canada.

Any suggestions, tem or gutonc?
agree with your assessment. I think your rank list is very reasonable and you should have peace of mind and certify your list. may be gutonc have something els to say

Hard time deciding between Brown and Boston University - Geographical preference is North East. Interested in Solids. In the future, would like to stay to likely end up in practice but not decided 100%.

Need some help with my Rank list..
I am planning for academic career. I prefer to have specialty with either Leukemia or GI and practice either phase-1 with it or translational research. I didn't get great interviews to support my plans... below my rank for the first 4/11 programs:
1. U of Maryland
2. Wayne State
3. UCLA-olive view
4. Henry Ford

What do u guys think?
-----------
My only concern about Maryland is how easy to work with the Director. The program, in general, seemed malignant and the fellows looked stressed out or more like scared sort of speak (military system). They did not even have the courage to speak up in the noon conference!
I keep changing my rank for Maryland every day from #1 to #4 !! because all of this ..
Tough decision to make..

Last edited:
Thanks for your input:

IA
MC Wi
Cincy
KY
MC GA
NE
Baylor
I would keep KY,Cincy and Baylor over IA and MCWi

Please help me with my rank list.
(I am interested in lymphoma research and plan to stay in academic after fellowship, so research opportunities and reserach mentorship in the program is very imortant for me. I have no geogeaphic preference and would try to avoid malignant programs).
This is my rank list:

1) Wash U
2) Moffitt
3) Cleveland Clinic
4) USC
5) Uni of Illinois
6) Indiana Uni
7) Karmanos
8) Boston University
9) Uni of Cincinnati
10) Uni of Nebraska
11) Uni of Arkansas
12) RPCI
13) Uni of Maryland
14) Uni of Minnesota
15) Uni of Vermont
16) UMASS

I sincerely appreciate your advice.

Would really appreciate any input from the seniors on the forum- quite confused between Montefiore, UIC and Jefferson. I am interested in solids, mostly thoracic, pp and do not have a geographic preference. Thank you very much!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello - I am hoping to get some thoughts regarding my rank list. I am interested in malignant hematology with strong interest in pursuing BMT and am planning to pursue an academic career. Geography is not a factor in my decision.

1. Harbor UCLA-City of Hope
2. Fox Chase Cancer Center
3. Indiana University
4. Roswell Park
5. University of Rochester
6. Long Island Jewish/Hofstra North Shore
7. St. Louis University
8. Penn State University
9. West Virginia University

---------------------
I have mixed opinions about Roswell Park in particular - great reputation, but did not get a good feel for the program during the interview. Also, had limited interaction with the fellows...
Thoughts on University of Rochester? I felt it was an underrated program...
Lastly, should NCI-designation be a factor in ranking programs based on reputation?

Thank you all for your input and best of luck to all of the applicants this year!

Hard time deciding between Brown and Boston University - Geographical preference is North East. Interested in Solids. In the future, would like to stay to likely end up in practice but not decided 100%.
I would personally will choose BU, Boston, better connection for private practice and not that much difference in reputation to Brown

Please help me with my rank list.
(I am interested in lymphoma research and plan to stay in academic after fellowship, so research opportunities and reserach mentorship in the program is very imortant for me. I have no geogeaphic preference and would try to avoid malignant programs).
This is my rank list:

1) Wash U
2) Moffitt
3) Cleveland Clinic
4) USC
5) Uni of Illinois
6) Indiana Uni
7) Karmanos
8) Boston University
9) Uni of Cincinnati
10) Uni of Nebraska
11) Uni of Arkansas
12) RPCI
13) Uni of Maryland
14) Uni of Minnesota
15) Uni of Vermont
16) UMASS

I sincerely appreciate your advice.
U of Minnesota should be higher in your list (2-4), i will place U of Arkansas somewhere in the last.

Hello - I am hoping to get some thoughts regarding my rank list. I am interested in malignant hematology with strong interest in pursuing BMT and am planning to pursue an academic career. Geography is not a factor in my decision.

1. Harbor UCLA-City of Hope
2. Fox Chase Cancer Center
3. Indiana University
4. Roswell Park
5. University of Rochester
6. Long Island Jewish/Hofstra North Shore
7. St. Louis University
8. Penn State University
9. West Virginia University

---------------------
I have mixed opinions about Roswell Park in particular - great reputation, but did not get a good feel for the program during the interview. Also, had limited interaction with the fellows...
Thoughts on University of Rochester? I felt it was an underrated program...
Lastly, should NCI-designation be a factor in ranking programs based on reputation?

Thank you all for your input and best of luck to all of the applicants this year!
Fox chase deserve to be first in your list, then city of hope or Indian, other very similar in my opinion

Hi all,

I would really like your advice with my rank order list. I am interested in heme malignancies and BMT, but also want a well rounded program. I'm undecided on academics vs private practice, however I'm leaning more toward academics (think I'll take my 3 years in fellowship to decide). I am listing the programs based on my preference. I would like to train in a bigger place but I think the training I receive will trump everything else. I'm confused about my top 3 and keep changing my mind about it.

1. Case Western
2. U of Maryland
3. Tufts
4. UAMS
5. Tulane
6. OU
7. WVU
8. Northwell

Hoping I don't go below this. Please help me out. Any input would be great!

Thanks!

Please help me with this. I want to turn in my list and I'm so confused :'(

Please help me with this. I want to turn in my list and I'm so confused :'(
List looks fine I guess. I don't know a ton about most of those places (and what I did know is now almost 10 years out of date).

Note however that you have about 6 months (not 3 years) to decide if you're going to pursue an academic career or a community practice career. You need to get your research (or clinic schedule) nailed down well before 2nd year starts.

It's much easier to move from an academic track to a clinical track than the other way around.

Also, you'll probably bail on BMT after your first month of it as a fellow. Most fellows do.

GutOnc (or others) - do you know where I can learn more about what academic heme or onc positions entail? I'm in a strange position where I'm only just NOW (in the last few months since applying to fellowship) starting to define a new interest in very non-traditional research that I might want to continue in the future -- this new interest directly relates to my rank list and immediate plans.

I have an interview tomorrow with a [research year(s)+fellowship] program where I have to try to articulate my new interests. The interviewers explicitly want their candidates to aim for a career as academic, research-driven faculty. I have some sense of what academics entails, but I'd love to know more so I can evaluate the extent to which my general interests DO line up with a future academic position.

I know I want the research+fellowship program - but I am less sure about how well I fit with their vision of a future academic faculty member and I am not sure how much that weak declaration will count against me. I guess all I can do is be honest. :-/

Accepting all general advice.

Hello, I have a hard time to rank Montefiore and NYU. I am interested in Mal-Heme and plan to stay in academic after the training. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

"Hello, I have a hard time to rank Montefiore and NYU. I am interested in Mal-Heme and plan to stay in academic after the training. Any suggestion would be appreciated."
-any advice?

"Hello, I have a hard time to rank Montefiore and NYU. I am interested in Mal-Heme and plan to stay in academic after the training. Any suggestion would be appreciated."
-any advice?
Which one did you like better? Put that one higher.

Which one did you like better? Put that one higher.
-thanks

serious question-- what kind of opportunities are available to transition to an academic career in Europe after completing an onc fellowship in the US?

serious question-- what kind of opportunities are available to transition to an academic career in Europe after completing an onc fellowship in the US?
Europe in general is hard to get into. Why do you think so many people come here from there?

Step 1 is to take a year LOA and do some work somewhere in Europe (where you speak the language). It would be research and minimal clinical opportunities probably (and possibly not well/at all paid. But worth a shot.

I want to get the opinion of attendings on the forum regarding continuity clinics during fellowship training. What is your take on which type of continuity clinic training is more helpful for someone who wants to be a general oncologist? Specialty focussed continuity clinics where for 3-6 months at a stretch you see patients with attendings in specialty clinics (like breast clinic, GU clinic etc.) or following your own panel of patients longitudinally as a part of weekly general oncology clinics with supervision from attendings. And how should this factor in while ranking programs? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.