Official 2016-2017 Help Me Rank Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lurker, looking for some affirmation... Interested in renal fellowship.
Wake Forest
Univ Florida
Indiana
Iowa

Thoughts?
interviewed at 3 of the 4... loved iowa the best...however gainesville and indianapolis have much more to do than iowa city....and match outcomes for nephro won't be affected by institution ..so I d say rank on the basis of where you d like to live and the vibes you got.. rest of the stuff won't matter for nephro..

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's unfortunate something like this can have such a significant skew...coupled with very strong outgoing residents I met at WF. Such is life I suppose.

Absolutely agree. While I understand that there are constraints on availability if I were a PD I'd think hard on which residents/faculty I would have the applicants meet; this can impact people's perceptions of a program quite a bit both for better and for worse.

Last edited:
Just in case someone reading this thread forgot (doubt it, but would be horrible) make sure your ROL is certified before 9 PM EST TONIGHT (02/22)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just in case someone reading this thread forgot (doubt it, but would be horrible) make sure your ROL is certified before 9 PM EST TONIGHT (02/22)

Oh thank heavens we finally get to put this awful thread to rest.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Oh thank heavens we finally get to put this awful thread to rest.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Bro I still need help ranking Mass Gen, UCSF, and Hopkins. Chasing a geriatrics fellowship and want the best opportunity.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi All. Long time no post.

Last minute. IM and likely Pulm/Crit fellowship, secondary interest in ID. Want an academic career at a good uni/hospital. South East preferable because of family.

Torn rank list (it goes on, but the order of the last 5 or 6 are not really in question):

1.) Emory
2.) Duke
3.) Michigan
4.) Vandy
5.) Brigham
6.) Yale

Loved Atlanta. Duke seemed like great training, but less sold on Durham. Everyone was happy at Vandy, but less sold on Nashville. Brigham seemed intense but amazing, and extremely expensive to live in.. Yale seemed super chill but a great program.

Big city/urban environment preferred.

1 hr 30 min.

Help?

Last edited:

Last minute. IM and likely Pulm/Crit fellowship, secondary interest in ID. Want an academic career at a good uni/hospital. South East preferable because of family.

Torn rank list (it goes on, but the order of the last 5 or 6 are not really in question):

1.) Emory
2.) Duke
3.) Michigan
4.) Vandy
5.) Brigham
6.) Yale

Loved Atlanta. Duke seemed like great training, but less sold on Durham. Everyone was happy at Vandy, but less sold on Nashville. Brigham seemed intense but amazing, and extremely expensive to live in.. Yale seemed super chill but a great program.

1 hr 30 min.

Help?
You could nitpick this, or you could go with your gut. None of these places will hold you back.

1.) Emory
2.) Duke
3.) Michigan
4.) Vandy
5.) Brigham
6.) Yale

1 hr 30 min.

Help?

If you're ranking them based on your geographic and location preference then what's the point of asking strangers on the internet for their input?

If you're ranking them based on your geographic and location preference then what's the point of asking strangers on the internet for their input?

I wish it were that simple!

I liked ATL better, but I liked Vandy more than Emory. I have the sense that Vandy, Duke and Brigham open more doors than Emory.
I also keep hearing malignant rumors about Emory. That would definitely out weight ATL.

Case, UAB, Loyola, Minnesota, Rush, Cincinnati, Brown, UIC

Middle of list, please helpppppp. I guess obvious midwest bias...but willing to go anywhere.

You could nitpick this, or you could go with your gut. None of these places will hold you back.

I think I needed to hear that.

Sounds like an obnoxious thing to ask, but are the doors Duke/BWH/Mich/Vandy would open more than Emory? Or am I just being an idiot med student, lol

1.) Emory
2.) Duke
3.) Michigan
4.) Vandy
5.) Brigham
6.) Yale

1 hr 30 min.

Help?

Reading the bolded above, way to bring each program (except Yale) to a high and then a low within the span of a sentence lol

Have fun at Grady. Atlanta just reminds me of TWD Season 1.

Middle of list, please helpppppp. I guess obvious midwest bias...but willing to go anywhere.

Of those schools I had UAB>Minnesota>Case>Brown but a lot of that was subjective. I do think UAB is overall the strongest program on that list.

Edit: And Loyola is probably the weakest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reading the bolded above, way to bring each program (except Yale) to a high and then a low within the span of a sentence lol

Have fun at Grady. Atlanta just reminds me of TWD Season 1.

I should have done that with Emory... It's really Emory v. Duke.

Like Duke better than Emory.
Liked ATL better than Durham.

Then go anywhere.

UAB (head and shoulders aka pyrithione zinc above the others)
Minnesota = Case
Cincy = Brown
UIC slightly above Loyola and Rush but not by mush

Are folks still seriously asking random people on the internet for advice on their rank list a few hours before the deadline? certify your list and go get a beer please

I should have done that with Emory... It's really Emory v. Duke.

Like Duke better than Emory.
Liked ATL better than Durham.

If the list you posted was your list for awhile I would caution on changing it now. Seems like a good amount of last minute changes can be regretful. All of those places on your top 6 are great and you can accomplish anything from any of them. Go where you'll be happiest because that is the place you will likely thrive and be able to take advantage of resources, and have a great life outside of residency. :)

Are folks still seriously asking random people on the internet for advice on their rank list a few hours before the deadline? certify your list and go get a beer please
Oh you bet your ass, I am.

UAB > Brown/Case/Minnesota > UIC > Cincy/Rush/Loyola

Or UAB > /everything else doesn't matter/

Slashes make it look like u thought about stuffz even if u dint :)

Duke vs. Vandy, 50 mins people. Literally having my 1 year-old point at pictures side-by-side
Have her point at one for my life too.

For what it's worth, I thought the Vandy residents were way happier. Nashville is just too small for me and far from a sick parent. They seemed the same in terms of quality of training.

The only negative to Vandy I thought was EMR and (maybe) Nashville-- if I were married, I'd have been fine with it. It was a fun city.

As we approach the end, this thread is getting just as lolzy as I imagined. I'm def Titanic quarteting this bish tho. Gutonc is full-on iceberging this party at 9:01EST though...until then someone get a CT head w/o contrast on him because I got a legit degree of suspicion on what we are doing to him. Cheers

Have her point at one for my life too.

For what it's worth, I thought the Vandy residents were way happier. Nashville is just too small for me and far from a sick parent. They seemed the same in terms of quality of training.

The only negative to Vandy I thought was EMR and (maybe) Nashville-- if I were married, I'd have been fine with it. It was a fun city.

The EMR is transitioning to Epic in Nov.

75791492.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Certified, Unchanged, Done.

Godspeed, sirs/ma'ams. Godspeed.

So as long as it says Certified, Paid, and Verified, we're good?

Certified 2 weeks ago. I ain't changing ish. And I'm 3 beers in. Best of luck to everyone!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There's a reason today is national margarita day!
Enjoy the night!

Brothers and sisters. It has been an honor

*buys everyone tequila shots, card gets declined because interview season left him broke, slowly moonwalks out of SDN*

Reactions: 5 users
Shameless plug: would be really appreciated if you guys came back to post your results/experiences in the IM match results thread next month!
ok, im done.

I still love this.

Oh @la2la2im and @banjo10 , such good times we have had. That meme made me die all over again. It has indeed been a privilege ranking with you (for posterity, I ended up with 3. MGH Med-Peds 4. UCLA 5. JHH 6. UW because I'm a complete whackadoodle). #doesntmatterhadsex

Also, y'all are the greatest. End of an era indeed.

It has been one wild ride. I would love to hear where y'all matched.

It has been one wild ride. I would love to hear where y'all matched.

Is there a thread for this with stats, etc? I think I have seen that for previous years. In any case, I matched to the Clinical Investigator track at Mayo Clinic (MN)! I hope everyone here is as happy with how the match turned out as I am! Good luck all!

Is there a thread for this with stats, etc? I think I have seen that for previous years. In any case, I matched to the Clinical Investigator track at Mayo Clinic (MN)! I hope everyone here is as happy with how the match turned out as I am! Good luck all!
Yes there is. Right up there at the top where it is every year.

No problem guys - I'm happy I was of help to all of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.