Official 2016-2017 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have any thoughts on UCI vs USC?

Personally, I was more impressed more by USC, but unless you're interested in hepatology, you'll be fine at either program.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! First time poster, longtime lurker. Thanks for all of the super helpful info that you've been posting. I was hoping one of the old-timers here could answer a question for me...

How important is it to have liver transplant at a program? I'm undecided on future plans, but would like to have the option of doing an advanced liver year. Is it impossible to get an advanced position coming from a program without transplant? Unfortunately, some of my favorite programs do not have transplant.

Once again, thanks for all of the help!

I'm in the application process as well so I'm certainly not an old-timer but I'll give you my take. I'm definitely leaning towards liver so I would like a program that at least does transplant to get the exposure. There are many details about transplant that I feel I would need to experience - working with surgeons, high mortality, selection, immunosuppression. I think a lot of this you really have to be on the ground floor to experience it.

I think if you're on the fence, at least make sure that you go to a program that actually does transplants or even a decent hepatology program without transplant (there were a few programs that had strong hepatology and research but just weren't able to compete with local programs so they lost their transplant program).
If you were 100% into hepatology I would say go to an ACCREDITED program and do the pilot year so you can finish in 3 years total of GI + Hep instead of 3+1. But if you're not sure, most programs can get you into hepatology pretty easily since I've been told about half the programs go unfilled every year, though it may be increasing as I've heard murmurs of more interest. It seems like it really depends on your most prominent faculty at that gi program and the phone calls they make on your behalf - Eg. Baylor has El-Serag and their fellows got into Sinai and UCSF this year (Baylor is not accredited).
Transplant only has 49 accredited programs (certain programs that I interviewed at reported they are getting it soon, like next year). You can find the accredited programs here https://apps.acgme.org/ads/public/reports/report/1. You can also find the amount of transplants yearly here https://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/data/view-data-reports/center-data/.

Most people are interested in hepatology going in but this fades as people enjoy other parts of GI, endoscopy, and certainly the $. Just my 2cents

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone apply to UC Irvine? I was impressed. Almost all the fellows were there on my interview day. They seemed really relaxed. Almost too relaxed.

Also, I'm hearing through the grapevine that the PD puts on a big show but is actually really mean and can be caddy/play favorites. Can anyone confirm this?

I've also heard that none of the faculty show for any of the conferences and they are on their own to learn endoscopy/journal club etc.

This didn't really fit with the pitch I got, maybe things are better now?

Kinda of a dead thread.....man GI is too competitive if there is this much hesitance to post.

Can't believe it is tomorrow...good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Less than 24 hours to Match Day! Good luck to everyone!

So close so close

Best of luck and well wishes to you all for tomorrow! After the match, if you could please post your program impressions and/or lessons learned thru this process, we as future generations would greatly appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Matched! Impossible is nothing. Congrats to all who matched.
Perseverance to those who didn't.

Matched number UNOOOOOOOOO

Congratulations everyone! If uncomfortable posting where you matched and scores, could you at least share what you thought made you match successfully? Such as what interviewers or programs really liked about you and your application.

Congrats to all who matched.

I unfortunately did not match. But I'm curious if people are aware of Brooklyn Hospital's GI program. They still have a spot open which I'm trying to scramble into. Is it a toxic NYC program or do they offer good work/learning balance?

Congratulations everyone! If uncomfortable posting where you matched and scores, could you at least share what you thought made you match successfully? Such as what interviewers or programs really liked about you and your application.

Matched #1
top 20 residency?
step1/2/3 average in 240s
programs really liked my rec letters. more than a handful of them commented on them during my interviews
I also emailed and had my PD call the program a week before matchlist due date. I ended up not sending any thank you letters after the initial few interviews and didnt think it mattered in the end
they talked about my projects

imo its rec letters/interesting projects/interview/ followed by interest

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
has anyone been contacted by the program they matched at.

I didn't match. I'm trying to figure out where to go from here, figuratively and literally. Does anyone know of programs that have GI hospitalists associated with them, who are then tracked into the program? Apparently, that is a thing in cardiology.
Is anyone a 2nd time applicant with advice ?
Thanks!

So what should I do, should I contact the Program Coordinator or wait till wends.

Does anybody know which programs went unfilled this year?

Congrats to all who matched.

I unfortunately did not match. But I'm curious if people are aware of Brooklyn Hospital's GI program. They still have a spot open which I'm trying to scramble into. Is it a toxic NYC program or do they offer good work/learning balance?
TBH program is well rounded, predominantly clinical. noone knows how they hire fellows and no transparency in the process. good luck

I didn't match. I'm trying to figure out where to go from here, figuratively and literally. Does anyone know of programs that have GI hospitalists associated with them, who are then tracked into the program? Apparently, that is a thing in cardiology.
Is anyone a 2nd time applicant with advice ?
Thanks!
This is a useful step but beware of going into big tier programs with GI hospitalist, expecting to match. your chance is 99% internal once u become GI hospitalist. Someone mentioned about Peoria program taking their GI hospitalist but I am not sure personally if they guarantee u a spot. Don ever become GI hospitalist for a private group, it will lead u to nothing but a handy hospitalist salary

Case University Hospitals (the real one) filled.
They really need to do something to differentiate themselves. Nobody knows which one is "real Case" until they get there. They should probably change the name to "The Real Case Western Reserve University Academic Medical Center...Seriously...That Other Place With a Similar Name is a Total Joke".

They really need to do something to differentiate themselves. Nobody knows which one is "real Case" until they get there. They should probably change the name to "The Real Case Western Reserve University Academic Medical Center...Seriously...That Other Place With a Similar Name is a Total Joke".

I mean, the one with "University" in it is the real one. It's not THAT hard.

Congrats to everyone on the match (a little late on my part). My experience was nerve racking, having only applied to one GI program (not my home institution). Willing to share tips and tricks I used if anyone is interested. Thanks again SDN for all your help over the years.

is an email sent out like for residency?

Status
Not open for further replies.