Official 2015-2016 Pulm/CCM Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would also like to hear what everyone thinks about stanford's program.

It sounds like from an academic perspective the place has been in a slow implosion for the last few years.

I don't know clinically you should be fine . . . but if you're looking to launch academically, especially from the research side, buyer beware . . .

Members don't see this ad.

I got an interview today from brooklyn pulmonology for one day only November 17
First is that just a cancellation and is it worthy going in that case?
Second the rank list deadline is November 11 so how I would interview on the 17th??

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview today from brooklyn pulmonology for one day only November 17
First is that just a cancellation and is it worthy going in that case?
Second the rank list deadline is November 11 so how I would interview on the 17th??
I can't speak for the timing thing, but if you like the program you still should definitely go.

For example, there is a very highly regarded program who told me that each application is read by three people, and if all three people say "yes" they are added to the invite list. When I interviewed I was told that they still had several people on that list who hadn't gotten an invitation, yet. Those people still had three "yes's."

Hey Guys,

Please share me your views towards Case Western Reserve University, MetroHealth Medical Center Fellowship program. I know used to a very good research based program earlier but I have heard that many reputed attendants left the program recently and they are not as good as they used to be.

Any inputs and thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,

Please help me rank these programs based on reputation and strengths of the programs only:
Here is my rank list now but i am pretty sure this is gonna change a lot:

1. Mount Sinai
2. Univ. of Virginia
3. Univ. of Maryland
4. Georgetown
5. Montefiore
6. Stony Brook
7. VCU
8. North Shore LIJ
9. Mount Sinai BI
10. UNC

Please help me rank these programs based on reputation and strengths of the programs only:
Here is my rank list now but i am pretty sure this is gonna change a lot:

1. Mount Sinai
2. Univ. of Virginia
3. Univ. of Maryland
4. Georgetown
5. Montefiore
6. Stony Brook
7. VCU
8. North Shore LIJ
9. Mount Sinai BI
10. UNC

Hmmm . . . maybe like . . .

UNC = Maryland
MSSM = Virginia
Monte = VCU
GT
The rest

It sounds like from an academic perspective the place has been in a slow implosion for the last few years.

I don't know clinically you should be fine . . . but if you're looking to launch academically, especially from the research side, buyer beware . . .

Really? What makes you say they are academically imploding? Any stories you're thinking of in particular?

Hi everyone, can someone comment on UCLA, UCSF vs the New York City programs i.e. NYU, Cornell and Columbia?

Any thought about

Albert Einstein (Monte)
U of Miami
Tufts

regarding overall reputation and program strength? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
How about: why would you want to live in a crap hole like NYC?

Haha fair. Family reasons, whereas California would be quite rebellious. Is there a big difference in the training? And I haven't quite decided academia or mainly clinic practice, does that factor into my decision?

Hello guys, Anyone interviewed at Tulane university, New Orleans and Loyola University in Chicago. How do these programs compare to each other?

Haha fair. Family reasons, whereas California would be quite rebellious. Is there a big difference in the training? And I haven't quite decided academia or mainly clinic practice, does that factor into my decision?

Maybe a bit. Clinical training should be fine enough but why waste your time and theirs n the research end if you aren't serious about it?

How about: why would you want to live in a crap hole like NYC?

I would say research-wise, UCSF is the best of them. They make you draft a grant for a K award your first year. All of the other ones seem very clinically strong with emphasized research activities but not the powerhouse that a place like UCSF or UW is.

I got a letter from a program that said they are planning to make their rank list soon and want my PD to call them. Is this common?

Hi guys I need an advise I have an interview at Baylor for CCM but I went to 8 programs of Pulm CC what should I do

Please help me out ranking these programs:
1. Cleveland Clinic
2. University of Minnesota
3. Henry Ford

I am interested in an academic career (but not heavily academic; like working in a mid-tier university program and do some research but not a lot)

Please help me out ranking these programs:
1. Cleveland Clinic
2. University of Minnesota
3. Henry Ford

I am interested in an academic career (but not heavily academic; like working in a mid-tier university program and do some research but not a lot)

Unless you just really really want to see a ton of transplant . . . UMinn is the better program on that list followed by CCF and then HF.

Please help me ranking this programs
1.- MCW
2.- UTSA
3.- Texas A&M
4.- UTH
5.- UK
6.- U Louisville
7.- U Missouri
8.- TTUHSC Lubbock

Guys, Can someone comment on Uni of Kentucky program? Any one interviewed there? how strong is that program??

The PD at Stanford did send me those vibes. And I would completely agree with it.

Did anyone notice Duke went from 5 to 4 spots? Guess they must've filled outside the match

Would appreciate some help ranking the following in terms of training for a clinical career in an academic setting. Looking to stay in big cities preferably on the coast. I have a rough idea but just wanted to get some impartial input from strangers on the internet.

It's been a bit slow around here but I figured I'd give it a shot. Thanks in advance.

Cornell
Columbia
Emory
Yale
USC
NYU
Mount Sinai
Baylor
Duke
Montefiore
Harbor UCLA
Stanford
UCLA
Cedar-Sinai

Would appreciate some help ranking the following in terms of training for a clinical career in an academic setting. Looking to stay in big cities preferably on the coast. I have a rough idea but just wanted to get some impartial input from strangers on the internet.

It's been a bit slow around here but I figured I'd give it a shot. Thanks in advance.

Cornell
Columbia
Emory
Yale
USC
NYU
Mount Sinai
Baylor
Duke
Montefiore
Harbor UCLA
Stanford
UCLA
Cedar-Sinai

Don't know anything about Cedar, Harbor, Baylor or USC but of the others you listed your best bets for a clinical career are NYU and UCLA

Cornell
Columbia
Emory
Yale
USC
NYU
Mount Sinai
Baylor
Duke
Montefiore
Harbor UCLA
Stanford
UCLA
Cedar-Sinai

I would say Columbia and NYU.

Cornell
Columbia
Emory
Yale
USC
NYU
Mount Sinai
Baylor
Duke
Montefiore
Harbor UCLA
Stanford
UCLA
Cedar-Sinai

I think you actually have a ton of excellent options to receive great clinical training w academic options available...people have mentioned some of the NY options - for west coast, I think UCLA, USC, and Stanford are all strong clinical experiences...non coast Emory is very strong for your stated goals, as would be Baylor...Duke is a bit more on the research-side perhaps, but great clinically too, esp w lung transplant...you really can't go wrong:)

What do people think of UCSD?
I really liked it, it's going to be in my top 3 choices!! I think it has strong clinical training/procedures, has available research opportunities both clinical/basic (most in pulm HTN, lung cancer, and sleep medicine), and has some very supportive faculty, with a department chair who seems like he will really help you do whatever you want on the academic side and has some big visions for the program!

I heard the city kinda sucks and no one wants to live there though, so it's a tough sell for them to recruit candidates:)

Reactions: 1 user
For someone who wants likely an academic career but not necessarily a research scientist track

NYU vs Cornell vs Mt Sinai

I will most likely end up living in nyc, less likely in California after fellowship so job prospects important in terms of reputation.

Thanks

For someone who wants likely an academic career but not necessarily a research scientist track

NYU vs Cornell vs Mt Sinai

I will most likely end up living in nyc, less likely in California after fellowship so job prospects important in terms of reputation.

Thanks

I'm guessing you have family obligations there, or just hate money and love taxes.

You'll be solid coming out of all three of those.

I really liked it, it's going to be in my top 3 choices!! I think it has strong clinical training/procedures, has available research opportunities both clinical/basic (most in pulm HTN, lung cancer, and sleep medicine), and has some very supportive faculty, with a department chair who seems like he will really help you do whatever you want on the academic side and has some big visions for the program!

I heard the city kinda sucks and no one wants to live there though, so it's a tough sell for them to recruit candidates:)

Are you kidding? San Diego is gorgeous and a totally awesome city. There's a reason why real estate prices are as high as it is. It's true it's no New York or Los Angeles, but it has its own charm. It also has the best weather on earth.

Are you kidding? San Diego is gorgeous and a totally awesome city. There's a reason why real estate prices are as high as it is. It's true it's no New York or Los Angeles, but it has its own charm. It also has the best weather on earth.
I think you missed the sarcasm

Reactions: 1 user
hey guys, can you help me with ranking, need help, any input is appreciated. Want to go to clinically strong program, with some research. Likely want to do IP later. want to explore and find if I like any sub-subspecialty in Pulmonology. love procedures.

1. Mayo clinic Florida,
2. Uni of Wisconsin
3. Cooper University, Camden
4. Tulane
5. Henry Ford
6. Baylor Uni Med -Dallas
7. SLU
8. Uni of Kentucky
9. EVMS
10. Wayne State - DMC
11. Carilion Clinic

Thank you guys.

Hahaha, UCSF just pulled a UW move. Just received a rejection from UCSF, 5 days before rank lists are due. Essentially saying "you may have figured out by now that you are not good enough for us....but just in case you were holding out hope that we would send you an email on Monday offering for you to fly out to interview Tuesday before you set your final rank list on Wednesday....well, it ain't going to happen"

Reactions: 1 users
Any thoughts on the follow list?
I care more to be at an academic institution with strong clinic training...do not care that much about research ( although we all have to do some during fellowship anyways).

1 NYU

2 UT Houston

3 UF Gainsville -

4 Wayne State University- This is the one I am not so sure about. Big program. Good clinical exposure. But people have not said good things about this place

5 LIJ North Shore

6 Uni of Nebraska - Should this program be higher up??? They are getting lung transplant now. Great research.

7 SLU

8 UConn

Okay people! Thoughts on the below?

Cleveland Clinic
Utah
UCSD
Indiana
Emory
Minnesota
WashU
Yale
UTSW

Okay people! Thoughts on the below?

Cleveland Clinic
Utah
UCSD
Indiana
Emory
Minnesota
WashU
Yale
UTSW

That is just a very nice list and all fantastic options. Part of it would depend on your goals - in my opinion, at least Yale and WashU stand out as programs w a greater focus on developing physician scientists - not that you couldn't go there and do something else, but you might as well go somewhere else if that isn't exactly what you want. Beyond that, you have an awesome collection of places w/ very good clinical training w/ plenty of academic options - personally I would say Emory, Indiana, Minn, and USCD would be my favorites for that, and all in decent cities to live!

Hi everyone! I was hoping to get some suggestions for my ROL. My options are : St Louis university, Cook County, Einstein (Philadelphia) and University of Arkansas(UAMS). Just going by the program's strength and not cities, what order would you guys go by? I highly appreciate your help.

I'm applying next year. I know most programs require one of the letters to be from your PD. What's the consensus about who to get other letters from? I know the default answer is "the person that knows you best". However, I'm asking if anyone has any opinion about if it makes a difference if that person that knows you best is not from pulm CCM.

Anyone with thoughts on this???

NYU
UF
UT Houston
LIJ- Northshore
U of Nebraska
WSU
SLU
UConn

I'm applying next year. I know most programs require one of the letters to be from your PD. What's the consensus about who to get other letters from? I know the default answer is "the person that knows you best". However, I'm asking if anyone has any opinion about if it makes a difference if that person that knows you best is not from pulm CCM.
U r allowed to submit 2-3 letters in addition to the PD letter. At least one of those should be from someone in the field

U r allowed to submit 2-3 letters in addition to the PD letter. At least one of those should be from someone in the field

I had the PD letter, one from my PhD advisor (I was applying for a research pathway position), one from an ICU doc (I did not apply PCCM) and one from my sub-specialty. I got plenty of interview action with those. 1 is enough, 2 is great, 3 is overkill.