Official 2015-2016 Pulm/CCM Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys? any one interviewed at Tulane , yet? if you can share experience, would be good.
And, how is that program in general? any information would be helpful, as I dont have any idea that program. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I havent.

Awfully quiet in here! Bring on the interview experiences!

Prematch means that they will interview and offer the applicants that they think are suitable for their programs before going through the NRMP Match. Usually weaker programs exhibit the behavior, which is probably true for most critical care places.
CCM is not like PCCM. it is not in the match across the country. I interviewed at Mayo as well. They were actually very nice. They have very strong PCCM and CCM programs. I have not heard back from them yet but I hope I do soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry I don't really understand the term "pre-match." Does this mean they already know who they want before even interviewing through the ERAS applications?
CCM is not in the match in the whole country. PCCM is. It is not Mayo, any CCM program only offers pre-match. I interviewed at Mayo as well. I really liked them. I have not heard from them, I hope I do soon. BTW, they have PCCM AND CCM programs.

CCM is not in the match in the whole country. PCCM is. It is not Mayo, any CCM program only offers pre-match. I interviewed at Mayo as well. I really liked them. I have not heard from them, I hope I do soon. BTW, they have PCCM AND CCM programs.

Dont want to shatter your hopes or anything, but one of the persons that was interviewing with me, accepted their prematch offer. I thought they were supposed to let us know about our statuses by 4th?, not that I am going to accept the offer, but I was expecting a sorry email from them.

Then allegheny rejection they don't want me enjoy for a day

Rejection from Mayo Jacksonville

IMG (Carib) w/o Visa needs.

I got an interview at Yale and only two other smaller programs. Is the only reason I got the Yale interview because they didn't match last year or am I actually worth something? I was told by the faculty at my own program that my CV and letters were strong enough that they expected me to get lots of interviews. In fact I have been told on the interview trail that my letters were some of the strongest they have ever read, but this hasn't translated into interviews. How much does having attended a Caribbean school hinder me? I only have one publication, but 3 national poster presentations, including CHEST, as well as other unpublished projects.

I got an interview at Yale and only two other smaller programs. Is the only reason I got the Yale interview because they didn't match last year or am I actually worth something? I was told by the faculty at my own program that my CV and letters were strong enough that they expected me to get lots of interviews. In fact I have been told on the interview trail that my letters were some of the strongest they have ever read, but this hasn't translated into interviews. How much does having attended a Caribbean school hinder me? I only have one publication, but 3 national poster presentations, including CHEST, as well as other unpublished projects.

How many places did you apply to? Did you apply on time? What kind of residency background do you have?

How many places did you apply to? Did you apply on time? What kind of residency background do you have?

I applied to 28 programs. I did my residency at a mid-tier university program. We have a world famous critical care doc here who wrote me an incredibly strong letter.

Sent from Mt. Sinai in NYC. 10 day notice they are canceling interview and offering dates during a prime interview week, gee thanks?

Dear Applicant,

Unfortunately, the program is no longer able to interview during the week of September 28th, 2015 to October 2nd, 2015. This was unexpected change in the schedule. We would still like for you to interview at our program, please review the new dates we have available to interview.

Monday, September 21st, 2015

Monday, October 5th, 2015
Tuesday, October 6th, 2015
Wednesday, October 7th, 2015
Friday, October 8th, 2015

Interviews on Monday, Tuesday, Friday begin at eight o'clock in the morning, while interviews on Wednesday begin at nine o'clock . If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Cynthia Meyers
[email protected]

Well I'd say you look quite good on paper, with the exception of attending a Carribean medical school. I still can't imagine that you only got 3 interviews out of 28 when your application was otherwise very strong. Hope you get into a program though!!

Sigh I can't imagine how hard this is going to be for me next year when I'm an IMG and I need a visa. Hah, oh man.

Members don't see this ad :)
O

Last edited:
Georgetown / MedStar Washington Hospital center (not to be confused with MedStar Georgetown hospital or GW hospital, all owned by MedStar

Small community program in a large community hospital.
-fellows have to write full notes on top of residents notes on every patient in icu.
-minimal attending->fellow education, seems like fellows teach themselves on all but one conference per month.
-attending rated as the best teacher is in Kenya full time and teaches over FaceTime/Skype. This is fine except they only mentioned in an interview that his contract actually expired that week... But they believe that he will continue to teach.
-don't intubate
-fellows and attending a were very nice
-Procedural volume is small (fellows get minimum number of bronchs to be able to graduate, pd said its all about quality over quantity.

Sent from Mt. Sinai in NYC. 10 day notice they are canceling interview and offering dates during a prime interview week, gee thanks?

Dear Applicant,

Unfortunately, the program is no longer able to interview during the week of September 28th, 2015 to October 2nd, 2015. This was unexpected change in the schedule. We would still like for you to interview at our program, please review the new dates we have available to interview.

Monday, September 21st, 2015

Monday, October 5th, 2015
Tuesday, October 6th, 2015
Wednesday, October 7th, 2015
Friday, October 8th, 2015

Interviews on Monday, Tuesday, Friday begin at eight o'clock in the morning, while interviews on Wednesday begin at nine o'clock . If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Cynthia Meyers
[email protected]

Just to clarify for everyone. This is only for the critical care fellowship. NOT pulmonary critical care fellowship. Don't want anyone freaking out and running to their inbox like I did...

I applied to 28 programs. I did my residency at a mid-tier university program. We have a world famous critical care doc here who wrote me an incredibly strong letter.

This does seem a bit unusual. Assuming no red flags I would continue to hope for the best this year and, if no dice, consider reaching out to academic mentors as to why your application was so poorly received. This is also assuming you did not only apply to big name programs or only competitive cities to live in.

This seems odd to me, but I suppose it all depends on where you applied. I am an AMG (from a ~top 20-30 med school) with excellent USMLE
scores, in a strong residency (but not a big name place). I'm definitely no one special in my residency program. I figure my letters are decent, but none of them know me particularly well. I have essentially no research. I was not AOA (although I am GHHS).

I applied to 40 programs (mix of top and mid-tier), and have 24 interviews. That includes some big names (Colorado, UCSD, WashU, Baylor, Yale, Dartmouth). But a ton of the other big names didn't invite me - likely because I'm not a researcher and I'm not at a big name residency (or because my personality sucks).

That being said, I would have anticipated that you would have gotten more like 10-20 interviews based off my experience. As long as your step scores are decent, I bet it does have a lot to do with you being an IMG, as unfair as that is. If you don't match (I hope you do!!!), I probably would sit down with your mentor and try to assess for what may have gone wrong. However, if the 28 programs you applied to were all top-tier, that may very well be your problem. :(

Could somebody please provide me with some info about Rosalind Franklin pulm....img with no visa needs.

@ CPRbandit, yea weird. Residents at my place also midtier get their pick of top pulm programs with 2-3 retrospective studies, not manuscripts either. Maybe my definition of midtier is different from his, or its the IMG status. dunno.

Georgetown / MedStar Washington Hospital center (not to be confused with MedStar Georgetown hospital or GW hospital, all owned by MedStar

Small community program in a large community hospital.
-fellows have to write full notes on top of residents notes on every patient in icu.
-minimal attending->fellow education, seems like fellows teach themselves on all but one conference per month.
-attending rated as the best teacher is in Kenya full time and teaches over FaceTime/Skype. This is fine except they only mentioned in an interview that his contract actually expired that week... But they believe that he will continue to teach.
-don't intubate
-fellows and attending a were very nice
-Procedural volume is small (fellows get minimum number of bronchs to be able to graduate, pd said its all about quality over quantity.

How can this place even support a fellowship??

Reactions: 1 users
Any idea about Loma Linda University, St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Boston Pulm/cc?

Thanks for all of the replies. My step scores are high 230s. My mentors said that other than being a Carib and not having many publications they were really surprised I didn't get more interviews. It is what it is.

Id be more than happy to stay at my home institution where I am confident I'll end up, so it's not all bad.

I dont see and second/third waves this year.

I dont see and second/third waves this year.
Agreed, I really figured that once people got a chance to consider the offers they received and consolidated a bit, that some programs would have a second group of applicants

Can anyone comment on the UCSD dinner with the PD and division chief? And the "round table discussion" with applicants and leadership that takes place on interview day? anyone experienced this yet? Thanks!

Can anyone comment on the UCSD dinner with the PD and division chief? And the "round table discussion" with applicants and leadership that takes place on interview day? anyone experienced this yet? Thanks!
I didn't get to go to the dinner.

The round table discussion was the chance to ask most of our questions as a group without them having to repeat everything. Nothing stressful. But some of the other applicants went on a tangent on questions about something that wasn't super important to me, so it would've been nice to get more individual questions answered. I didn't have a chance to interview with the PD or division chief, so this was my only real interaction with them. The individual interviews were more focused on getting to know you then answering program questions.

Not sure what's wrong with your profile, maybe USMLE scores?, red flags in your profile or personal statement? I am IMG (not Carib), need H1B visa and I've received >10 invites without publications or national posters, and applied to 25 programs. Honestly it's quite puzzling how the pick candidates. People match even with 1 interview, so make sure you show them your interest. Good luck.

Not sure what's wrong with your profile, maybe USMLE scores?, red flags in your profile or personal statement? I am IMG (not Carib), need H1B visa and I've received >10 invites without publications or national posters, and applied to 25 programs. Honestly it's quite puzzling how the pick candidates. People match even with 1 interview, so make sure you show them your interest. Good luck.

Step scores were in the high-230s. I had my program director as well as assistant fellowship director here look over my profile and they are also totally puzzled. As for personal statement, I've had multiple interviewers comment on how much they liked it. I am at a total loss as well.

I'm going to call a few programs today and see if I can get any more info.

I didn't get to go to the dinner.

The round table discussion was the chance to ask most of our questions as a group without them having to repeat everything. Nothing stressful. But some of the other applicants went on a tangent on questions about something that wasn't super important to me, so it would've been nice to get more individual questions answered. I didn't have a chance to interview with the PD or division chief, so this was my only real interaction with them. The individual interviews were more focused on getting to know you then answering program questions.

Thanks ! I can't make it to the dinner either. That round table sounds a little awkward ...

I went to the UCSD dinner and really enjoyed it. Very laid back with lots of time to meet the department chair and program director, as well as other faculty and some fellows - really a great opportunity to get a feel for the program and ask tons of questions!!

I went to the UCSD dinner and really enjoyed it. Very laid back with lots of time to meet the department chair and program director, as well as other faculty and some fellows - really a great opportunity to get a feel for the program and ask tons of questions!!

The dinner is so early though. I'll be somewhere in the air maybe over Chicago at 5:30pm that day haha.

Thomas Jefferson rejection :/
I am waiting for 2nd / 3rd round. People who need to cancel their interviews, please do so asap.

Anybody know what time the UConn Interview starts tomorrow? Looked through all my emails and don't see the details.

Anybody know what time the UConn Interview starts tomorrow? Looked through all my emails and don't see the details.
It was 7.30 when I interviewed I believe. Jean's email had it with the itenary.

There are less number of people applying to Pulm/CC because there are lesser positions. I thought the concept of "percentage" is meant to eliminate the number of applicants and seats as its gives you a ratio and not an absolute number. Also, as the number of applicants goes higher for a the same number of seats, the percentage should go down (increased denominator). So in all, I don't get it !

This makes no sense...how can you deduct that less people apply for Pulm/CC because they are less positions??? You have to take percentage with a grain of salt and sometimes and LOOK AT THE ABSOLUTE. If 2 people apply for 1 spot the "percentage" of acceptance is 50%, but if 3 people apply for 5 spots the "percentage" of acceptance is 60%. You can deduct that A is more competitive than B, but they is not really the case. Statistically yes, but practically no. Like relative risk reduction and absolute risk reduction... or maybe you missed that class

This program sent me rejection 1 month before, and now sending me an invitation. I dont even know what to get from it? do you think it's worth going to this program? I am in midwest and the program is in northeast, so its gonna cost 500 bucks at least.

This makes no sense...how can you deduct that less people apply for Pulm/CC because they are less positions??? You have to take percentage with a grain of salt and sometimes and LOOK AT THE ABSOLUTE. If 2 people apply for 1 spot the "percentage" of acceptance is 50%, but if 3 people apply for 5 spots the "percentage" of acceptance is 60%. You can deduct that A is more competitive than B, but they is not really the case. Statistically yes, but practically no. Like relative risk reduction and absolute risk reduction... or maybe you missed that class

Congratulations on taking some time off and getting a refresher course in biostatistics, not that it seems to have helped you much.

To REINFORCE my point, let me present to you numbers rather than percentage for last years match data because you do not seem to get that concept. Also, it is nothing like ARR or RRR.

Pulm/Crit:

Applicants Preferring this Specialty: * 728

Matched to this Specialty: 504 69%

Matched to Different Specialty: 16 2%

Did not Match to any Program: 208 29%

So, I CAN deduce that less people applied for pulm/crit than cardiology, because despite you example with 2 and 5 spots, the spots for pulm/crit are fixed and thus the percentage of matched candidates can give you an accurate data of the total number of applicants.

Cardiology:

Applicants Preferring this Specialty: * 1,134

Matched to this Specialty: 823 73%

Matched to Different: Specialty 13 1%

Did not Match to any Program: 298 26%.

Thus, of the the total number of people that applied for cardiology, a higher percentage matched (73%) as compared to Pulm/Crit and GI,

I shall give you GI's example, unless you are telling me GI is less competitive than cardio and pulm crit because there absolute numbers are actually lesser than pulm/crit and cardio but overall, they have a lower match percentage making them the most competitive field last year, and a few preceding years.

Gastroenterology:

Applicants Preferring this Specialty * 710

Matched to this Specialty 457 64%

Matched to Different Specialty 8 1%

Did not Match to any Program 245 35%

P.S. Btw, I did miss that class along with a few others since I was never a fan of biostatistics. I do get simple math right though. :)

This program sent me rejection 1 month before, and now sending me an invitation. I dont even know what to get from it? do you think it's worth going to this program? I am in midwest and the program is in northeast, so its gonna cost 500 bucks at least.

They must be really trigger happy to send out rejection early and then send an interview. Which place is this? Also, it depends on the number of your interviews. It does increase your chances of getting matched theoretically if none of the other candidates they ranked, ranked them or match at other places. If you have a satisfactory number then tell them to eff off. If not, and its a place you would like to end up at, I think you should make the trip. :) I have known people in the past match at places where they were originally waitlisted, or invited because of cancellations.

Reactions: 1 user
Any personal perspectives on Mayo Florida?

I visited the place. Seemed absolutely great. Beautiful hospital. Great faculty, a lot of it. Opportunity to pursue clinical research. Great mentor to fellow ratio. Relatively light schedules. Lung transplant. Recently accredited PH center. Center for ARDSNET, LIPS trials. Exposure to lung and all other kind of transplant patients. All fellows get enough procedures. But then during the tour of the hospital I realized that they barely get any patients. The average number of consults they see are 3-4 with the list being 4-5 patient long as they sign of most patients immediately after a branch as its mostly for pre-transplant eval. Most procedure are for surveillance. Intensivists in the ICU even during the day change every 2-3 days, sometime even daily. Average number of patients seen in the outpatient clinic rotation which is a total of 6 months out of 36 is 3-4. 1-2 being new patients/referral from pulm people who have failed to diagnose. Average census in MICU is 8-9. So all in all, not a lot of common pathology in the pulm or ccm training but great subspecialty exposure.

So I wasn't sure what to make of it. Let me know if anyone has other experiences or inputs.

They do make you wear suits every day to work. :=|:-):

Depends on how many current interviews you currently have.

Any personal perspectives on Mayo Florida?

I visited the place. Seemed absolutely great. Beautiful hospital. Great faculty, a lot of it. Opportunity to pursue clinical research. Great mentor to fellow ratio. Relatively light schedules. Lung transplant. Recently accredited PH center. Center for ARDSNET, LIPS trials. Exposure to lung and all other kind of transplant patients. All fellows get enough procedures. But then during the tour of the hospital I realized that they barely get any patients. The average number of consults they see are 3-4 with the list being 4-5 patient long as they sign of most patients immediately after a branch as its mostly for pre-transplant eval. Most procedure are for surveillance. Intensivists in the ICU even during the day change every 2-3 days, sometime even daily. Average number of patients seen in the outpatient clinic rotation which is a total of 6 months out of 36 is 3-4. 1-2 being new patients/referral from pulm people who have failed to diagnose. Average census in MICU is 8-9. So all in all, not a lot of common pathology in the pulm or ccm training but great subspecialty exposure.

So I wasn't sure what to make of it. Let me know if anyone has other experiences or inputs.

They do make you wear suits every day to work. :=|:-):

Hm. You only have 6 months of clinic??

Hm. You only have 6 months of clinic??

No, they have 1/2 day clinic a week. But in addition, out of the 36 months, 6 months is outpatient pulm where you evaluate transplant patients/see referrals from other pulmonologist, referral from the community.