Odds of matching with step 3 fail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TellumSox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From the mouth of my PD, " I would still look at him but the rest of his application would have to be really really good....and he better have a good story".

From the mouth of my PD, " I would still look at him but the rest of his application would have to be really really good....and he better have a good story".

Thanks for the input. I'm willing to own it. I was an idiot and will say so. I do think the rest of my app is strong, but I guess with so few interview invites that programs hand out, I mean....why would they bother interviewing someone with a black mark like that. I guess I might have to set my sights a little lower than I want to, but that's on me.

Any other thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't the best candidate with my USMLE but I owned it, and I really wanted sports. Not just by saying I didn't do well and will change but by proving it. Killed in service, attended amssm and lived at an away rotation. I hand to sell my soul for those two 10k plus on credit card (that includes staying off campus for AMSSM in a bad hotel and getting up at 445 to take bus) and had to offer double call to switch one day with certain residents. We did not have in house sports med but did have a sports med ortho attending. I took almost all his admits and if I had 1 hr off I was in his practice seeing patients. I also was elected chief resident. Marriage survived bc my wife knew I wanted it and I earned it. I got invites at all the big programs I applied to. Failing step 3 is tough bc all programs want to see you are good at your specialty first before adding on new training. I would say best of luck but... go earn it! You sound like you will. :)

I wasn't the best candidate with my USMLE but I owned it, and I really wanted sports. Not just by saying I didn't do well and will change but by proving it. Killed in service, attended amssm and lived at an away rotation. I hand to sell my soul for those two 10k plus on credit card (that includes staying off campus for AMSSM in a bad hotel and getting up at 445 to take bus) and had to offer double call to switch one day with certain residents. We did not have in house sports med but did have a sports med ortho attending. I took almost all his admits and if I had 1 hr off I was in his practice seeing patients. I also was elected chief resident. Marriage survived bc my wife knew I wanted it and I earned it. I got invites at all the big programs I applied to. Failing step 3 is tough bc all programs want to see you are good at your specialty first before adding on new training. I would say best of luck but... go earn it! You sound like you will. :)

Appreciate the reply and sentiments.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I'm willing to own it. I was an idiot and will say so. I do think the rest of my app is strong, but I guess with so few interview invites that programs hand out, I mean....why would they bother interviewing someone with a black mark like that. I guess I might have to set my sights a little lower than I want to, but that's on me.

Any other thoughts?

Get as much sideline and event coverage as you can. PDs are looking for eager applicants that show interest and a predilection for hard work. Everyone makes mistakes.

Reactions: 1 user