OD Application Questions, help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittystarry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I have a few questions that were very vaguely answered by schools when I contacted them. Could you help me out?

I graduated with a BS with a 3.4 and fulfilled all the requirements. Some of these requirements were Honors level. I also graduated with a MPH with a 3.7. This was heavy on advanced math and epidemiology and public health courses. Do they count graduate work at all?

For shadowing, they kept stressing variety of optometrists. Because I developed an interest in OD after graduate school, I likely do not have much experience in this as other applicants. My undergraduate experience was heavy in veterinary work and research. My graduate experience was heavy in a variety of research and medical work. Somehow after nixing the idea of vet school and med school, only then did I belatedly find my passion in optometry.

I did 100 hours at a private clinic which is run by both an Ophthalmologist and an Optometrist. They are glad to write me a letter. My question is, is that enough? I could ask around and maybe do a day at a retail store, but I am extremely limited by weekends only because I work full time. Also, I ran out of ideas where I could shadow in my location and time limitation of weekends.

I have no clue if my application is even remotely reaching what schools want. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.