General Admissions & OTCAS Occupational Therapy Stats -- help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carly013

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I am currently finishing up pre-requisites for an OT Master's program, and I am wondering how my stats compare. My undergrad was in communications and I've been working full-time for the past two years while completing the science pre-reqs. Let me know what you think!

I really don't want to take the GRE, which leaves me to two schools in my area: University of Minnesota and University of Wisconsin-La Crosse.

Do you think it's bad to only apply to two schools with my stats?

Prereq GPA: 3.75
Cum GPA: 3.7
Volunteer hours: 75+ in acute care setting
Working full time in academic health care communications for the past 2 years

A- in physiology, B+ in anatomy lecture, and A- in anatomy lab

Also, has anyone had experience applying to UWL? That is my number one choice right now.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I personally don't think it's bad to apply to only 2 schools, of course your choices would be limited but I know several people that have only applied to 1 or 2 schools for various reasons like not being able to afford multiple apps, having interest in only a couple schools, and also not wanting to take the GRE. I am not familiar with UWLs requirements but your stats look pretty solid for any school for the most part and with good LOR I dont see much issue with applying/ being accepted into either of those programs.

Hi everyone! I am in the midst of the OT application process for the 2017-18 cycle. I just wanted to post my stats and the schools I am interested in to see if anyone has any input on my chances of being accepted/anywhere else I can apply to.

Cum GPA: 3.01
Pre-req GPA: 3.35
Verbal GRE:158
Quant GRE: 154
Writing GRE: 4.0
Volunteer Hours: 130 hours in geriatric, pediatric, hospital and school settings

In addition I have been involved with a Bimanual Therapy Program at CHOP and have undergraduate research experience in Neurocognitive Development. I feel very good about my letters of recommendation and wrote a strong personal statement. I am obviously concerned about my GPA. I received many C's in science courses such as biology and chem (dropped a neuro minor). I plan on applying to Chatham, Thomas Jefferson, Medical University of South Carolina, USC (Cali), Florida Gulf Coast, UNC Chapel Hill, and Alvernia. My #1 is Jefferson. Am I aiming too high?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all!

I am currently finishing up pre-requisites for an OT Master's program, and I am wondering how my stats compare. My undergrad was in communications and I've been working full-time for the past two years while completing the science pre-reqs. Let me know what you think!

I really don't want to take the GRE, which leaves me to two schools in my area: University of Minnesota and University of Wisconsin-La Crosse.

Do you think it's bad to only apply to two schools with my stats?

Prereq GPA: 3.75
Cum GPA: 3.7
Volunteer hours: 75+ in acute care setting
Working full time in academic health care communications for the past 2 years

A- in physiology, B+ in anatomy lecture, and A- in anatomy lab

Also, has anyone had experience applying to UWL? That is my number one choice right now.

Thanks! :)
St. Kate's doesn't require the GRE either if you're looking to apply in that area

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,
I'm currently in my last semester as an undergraduate, and I'm highly interested in applying to an OT school after graduation. I'm currently looking at Brenau University and MUSC. I know my stats are not stellar,:( but it'll be awesome if y'all can give me your insight on if you think I have a shot at getting accepted into an OT Program.

Cum GPA: 3.25 hopefully I'll end with a 3.35
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4
GRE: I have not taken it yet...
Volunteer: 50 hours
Work experience: I currently a Registered Behavior Technician who works with kids who have mental disabilities.

ANY ADVICE IS HELPFUL!!!! THANKS!!!!

Hey guys, I will be applying to the masters OT program at St. Kate's this coming fall as a dual-degree student.
My stats are:
Cumulative GPA-3.75
Pre-req GPA-3.68
I worked half a year as a CNA. I am now working as a Behavior Therapist Aide to children with autism. I also have about 10 hours of OT observation hours because my niece have William syndrome.
What are my chances of getting accepted?

Hi everyone!
I'm currently in the process of applying to Occupational Therapy schools! Last night I submitted my OTCAS application to Chatham, Slippery Rock, Shenandoah, and Ohio State! I received an email from the OTCAS this morning saying that my application was verified. Then I received an email from Chatham saying they are reviewing my application. I am also applying to Walsh, Pitt, Gannon, Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Commonwealth, and Temple.
Does anyone know how long it'll take to hear back from Chatham about an interview?
And can anyone give me some idea of the chance I have for getting in to any school?
Graduated from Duquesne University this past May with a degree in Psychology
Taking pre-requisites right now at community college. Got an A in A&P 1 and 2 this summer.
Cum GPA: 3.65
Pre-req GPA: I am still taking Human Growth and Development, Medical Term, and Physics (should get As in all 3) and have a current 3.85-3.9 pre-req GPA
Verbal GRE: 150
Quant GRE: 151
Writing GRE: 5.5
Volunteer Hours: 290 hours as an inpatient rehab aide (have 300 in progress/planned till May), 20 hours outpatient rehab, 8 hours outpatient/inpatient pediatrics OT, 140 hours volunteer hours at a hospital(patient interaction hours)
THANK YOU!

Hi everyone! I have a question about the OTCAS and the personal statement and I was hoping someone could give me some help or advice. I submitted my application for a program on the 15th of September, and when I went back to review all of my documents, the formatting for my personal statement was all messed up- like the paragraph indentions were gone. When I saved and typed it on Word it was perfectly formatted with indentions and everything. I am wondering if this is going to hurt me because schools are going to think I don't know how to indent while writing a paragraph!! Are they just reading for content or could this be detrimental for me? Good luck to everyone applying this year!!
(Also I'm sorry if this isn't the correct thread to post this on. I am really new to this forum and how it all works. Thanks!!)

Wondering what my chances are of getting accepted into an MOT/ DOT program...here's my stats:

GPA: 3.86
GPA (last 60 hours): 4.0
GRE: 285 :(
Observation Hours: 107 (pediatrics & geriatrics)

Open to any feedback!! I know my GRE is extremely low, but I was hoping to override it with my GPA, & Obs. Hours.