Obtaining a residency interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DS-Bruno

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really interested in residency, however, I do not feel I am a strong candidate.
I am currently a P3.

The GOOD:
-I am very involved with organizations at school and have held numerous leadership positions.
-I have many years of experience in pharmacy as a tech and intern (well over 15 years) and have maintained stable employment.
-I have both hospital and retail experience as an intern and a tech

The BAD:
-My GPA is below a 3.0 (Im hoping after this semester and APPE's that it will hopefully bring it up to a 3.0)
-At this time I am unable to move, completely not an option and 100% off the table. This limits my options and there are only 4 residency programs I can apply to within 60-90 minutes driving time of me. I make that drive for school now, so this is not a problem. However, 2 of these residencies are extremely competitive!

INFO:
I chose all very difficult rotations, and all hospital. I chose rotations at the hospitals I would like to apply to so I can network and meet people before the application process opens. Hopefully when my application hits their email, they recognize the name and that helps. I also plan to ask for letters of recommendations from the preceptors at those sites if I do well. I do have other options, but the plan is to get them from the difficult rotations and preceptors at the main site I want if I do well on those rotations.
My rotations include; Cardiology, Infectious Disease, Diabetes, Anticoagulation, Critical Care, Emergency med, etc.
All things that 1-will never go away and will be on boards and 2-will hopefully look really good on my CV.
I do plan on doing my absolute best and am not scared to do the required work to make a great impression.
The residencies I am looking at do not state a GPA requirement, although I do know that above a 3.0 is preferred and many people will not consider a candidate below this.

My main concern is getting the interview. I usually interview well, but that does not help me if I dont GET the interview. I plan on having my CV, cover letter, thank you letter and LinkedIn done by an agency that came highly recommended from my District Manager. Expensive, but I think worth every penny if it will help.

Is there anyone that can offer insight on this? Do you know someone with a fairly low GPA who was able to successfully obtain a residency with a similar situation? Does anyone have any advice to make myself a better candidate?

Members don't see this ad.

After reading some threads, I should add that I do plan on applying to PGY1 programs that have elective options for the PGY2 I would like to obtain after.
I also chose 3 different rotations in the field I would like a PGY2 in. (Everything the school offered, and 1 rotation extra over what was required)

A 3.0 is a requirement to progress and graduate at my school so I don't know anyone who interviewed at lower than that. That being said... have you calculated what you'd need to make it to a 3.0 or close? GPA is not the end of the world, but you immediately lose out on many programs for those that filter to start that way (as you acknowledged), and if you're only applying to 4 programs, the odds are not as good.

All the other things you're doing - the networking, the leadership and work experience - are pros. If you can get a publication or research in there that would be good too.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A 3.0 is a requirement to progress and graduate at my school so I don't know anyone who interviewed at lower than that. That being said... have you calculated what you'd need to make it to a 3.0 or close? GPA is not the end of the world, but you immediately lose out on many programs for those that filter to start that way (as you acknowledged), and if you're only applying to 4 programs, the odds are not as good.

All the other things you're doing - the networking, the leadership and work experience - are pros. If you can get a publication or research in there that would be good too.

I am actually working with a faculty member who just secured a site and we are in the process of setting up a research project. Im not quite sure how to go about getting published, but I am going to talk to the faculty I am working with on the project as I know they have been published before. I also hope to present at Midyear this December as Im sure most, if not all, of the residency directors of the programs I am interested in will be there since it's in Florida this year. Im going to calculate the GPA, but Im pretty sure with rotations that I can get it to a 3.0. I'm not too far off. Do you have any advice on how to get published? Thank you for your help.

I just have to warn you that this year is extraordinarily competitive (there was 50% increase in applications nationwide) and next year won't be any better. It's an uphill battle. Your experience and connections may help you certainly, but a lot of places use a pre screening process and some of the GPA cut offs are as high as 3.5. I have a 3.3 and that was on the low end this year, to get an interview I had to rely on connections.

Reactions: 1 user
I just have to warn you that this year is extraordinarily competitive (there was 50% increase in applications nationwide) and next year won't be any better. It's an uphill battle. Your experience and connections may help you certainly, but a lot of places use a pre screening process and some of the GPA cut offs are as high as 3.5. I have a 3.3 and that was on the low end this year, to get an interview I had to rely on connections.

Im prepared for that. I completely understand and am realistic about the situation. 2 of the hospitals I have a good chance at because I know the directors, but they are #3 and #4 of what I would like. My first 2 choices I dont think I will get an interview at, honestly. Those are the ones I am preparing for the most and trying to make connections at with rotations, that's really the best I can do right now so late in the program. I'd rather apply and get a rejection than not try and wonder down the road what if. I had no idea the cut offs had gone up, thank you so much for the updated information. I'm going to have to see how it goes these next few months and re-evaluate in November/December.

Realistically, I know the position I am in and wont be heartbroken if I dont get anything. I completely understand. Im mostly hoping for tips, advice and information that you both have provided. Thank you guys, I do appreciate the help and responses!

I just have to warn you that this year is extraordinarily competitive (there was 50% increase in applications nationwide) and next year won't be any better.

Based on what some of last year's applicants told me regarding the Match, and what I (as well as many of my colleagues) have experienced this year, I feel as if your statement is true. Curious, though, about where you heard/read about the "50% increase."

Based on what some of last year's applicants told me regarding the Match, and what I (as well as many of my colleagues) have experienced this year, I feel as if your statement is true. Curious, though, about where you heard/read about the "50% increase."
not sure on the number of applicants but someone mentioned to me today that the number of application submissions jumped from 20 to 30k, of course take heresay with a grain of salt, we'll see for sure when the match statistics are released.