OBGYN & Lifestyle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a quick search and didn't see much commentary on the issue of OBGYN and lifestyle. I love the idea of doing it, but will also be one to place a high priority on lifestyle - being a wife and mom will be important to me, I know. I have often thought that my personal ideal situation would be working PT, ideally like 3 weekdays/wk while my potential children are small. I have seen this done in FP, peds, gas, etc...but was curious - is this at all, ever done in OB?

Members don't see this ad.

I was worried about OB/GYN's lifestyle, too. Believe it or not I was going to pursue Pediatrics at first but fall in love with OB/GYN. I talked to many OB/GYN attendings and they live with variety of lifestyles. I met attending who takes 3 days off per week, some only practice GYN, some are in private practices, etc. The point is it is a lot more flexible then surgery. I think over all it is going to be less lifestyle friendly compare to Pediatrics, FP, etc but you do have choices to manage your life style. There are also OB/GYN fellowship such as REI and Urogyn which are more lifestyle friendly. You can also pursue GYnOnc, now that's hard core. Good luck with your decision. We are exposed to residents' lifestyle but I would do a 4th year elective with an attending and see what his/her lifestyle is like.

If you don't do OB, you'll have a lot more flexibility. One of the attendings here doesn't do any OB, and he basically sets his own schedule.