Obesity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree that eating less, eating more healthy, and burning more calories is the way to lose the weight. The problem is actually doing this long term and convincing patients that the effort put into weight loss is worth the benefits. We should continue to counsel our patients on eating less, exercising more...but until we get a lot more research on what truely causes some people to be morbidly obese and what effectively(low cost, simple, good satisfaction) helps people lose weight long term, we're still only going to see 1-10% of them be successful with long term weight loss.
As far as the stigmitization of fat kids - I was horribly taunted as the "fat kid". All it did was cause me to start yo-yo dieting at age 11 and develop horrible eating habits. Guess what, I grew up to be a "fat adult", so I don't think encouraging taunting of the fat kids is an effective way of stopping this epidemic. These kids know they are fat and they are still taunted, just by the less fat kids.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree that eating less, eating more healthy, and burning more calories is the way to lose the weight. The problem is actually doing this long term and convincing patients that the effort put into weight loss is worth the benefits. We should continue to counsel our patients on eating less, exercising more...but until we get a lot more research on what truely causes some people to be morbidly obese and what effectively(low cost, simple, good satisfaction) helps people lose weight long term, we're still only going to see 1-10% of them be successful with long term weight loss.
As far as the stigmitization of fat kids - I was horribly taunted as the "fat kid". All it did was cause me to start yo-yo dieting at age 11 and develop horrible eating habits. Guess what, I grew up to be a "fat adult", so I don't think encouraging taunting of the fat kids is an effective way of stopping this epidemic. These kids know they are fat and they are still taunted, just by the less fat kids.
I agree, taunting isn't the solution. Towards a solution, I have two words: cattle prod. As in, make them run. That will make them lose weight.

hmm...whatever happened to being outside all day during the summer vacation, playing, running, biking? coming in after dark? (after mom has called you 14 times?) my grandkids sometimes look at me crazy, when I tell them "lets go outside and play"...(and they are only 9 and 4!)

Members don't see this ad :)
caloriechart.jpg

when i was kid my BMI was 43! meds, and parents that were unable to say no plus living next to a main road didn't help at 20yrs old i thought hmmm better fix this, i have never looked back....nice healthy weight of 79kg from 130kg at age 19!