Ob/Gyn Rotation and General Rotations (3+4th year questions)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted815127

Hello,
Third year for me is starting in a few weeks and I am terrified. I am beginning with Ob/Gyn as my first rotation. Being a male student, I have heard numerous times patient's feel uncomfortable interacting with a male patient.
1. How do I overcome this? One of the reasons I was excited for my site, it was a bigger hospital and I expected that I would see a lot more. However, from what I've read on this and other forums and seen on youtubes, male students don't do a lot during their Ob/Gyn rotation, often standing outside or the resident/attending doing everything and they standing like flies on wall.
-- Is this true? I don't want to trust the interweb, however, I want to know the truth!

2. I want to make a strong start on my first rotations, is there some advice you can share to help shape my Ob/Gyn or general rotations into a helpful and an enjoyable learning opportunity?

3. I am an osteopathic student, if any Osteopathic students are reading this, what techniques did you perform in this rotation? The hospital that I am going to doesn't have many osteopaths, however, the head of the program is interested in us maintaining our osteopathic skills. Also how do you bring this into the conversation w/a conventional visit?

4. What is the schedule we are expected to maintain, one of my upperclassmen said 9-5ish, however, I don't want my preceptors thinking that I am in a hurry to leave. So what hours do you recommend?

5. Once again for the Osteopaths reading this, when do you schedule your level 2 PE and CK exam in your third year. Does doing it before the VSAS help and when do you recommend doing VSAS?

Thanks IN Advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I did the level 2 a couple weeks after I finished my third year. Some classmates to it earlier but I didnt have the stress of having it on my applications so I didnt care as much. For OBGYN rotation, i didn't do that much OMM, but whenever I saw a chance I would ask if it was appropriate. Mainly just soft tissue stuff (stay away from HVLA...alot of pregnant mothers would not appreciate it lol). I dont mean to scare you but I also didn't really like OB... it was too much pressure I felt. Also, the place I was at didn't let students do much but I actually kind of didnt mind.

4. What is the schedule we are expected to maintain, one of my upperclassmen said 9-5ish, however, I don't want my preceptors thinking that I am in a hurry to leave. So what hours do you recommend?
leave when you can leave. somedays it will be at 5 and others maybe later. It is kinda ridiculous to pre-plan this far out haha.

3.- I don't know the actual name for it but we called it "the frogger". Works wonders for pubic symphysis and hip pain.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
We are not osteopaths. Please don't call DOs Osteopaths.
You should do COMLEX IIs around the end of your 3rd year. By this time next year you should ideally be finished with them.
OBGYN can be a sensitive field for young male students. I would recommend being appropriately assertive in introducing yourself and getting face time in with patients before you see them pushing out a baby.

Reactions: 1 user