OAT help...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mimi625

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I'm taking my OAT exam in 5 weeks, and have been primarily using Chad's videos/quizzes, the fat Kaplan Strategies book, and Kaplan MCAT Biology review for preparation. I had three questions regarding to preparation:

1. Does anyone know how Chad's questions compare to the real OAT? Are they more difficult/less difficult? I really enjoy his website and found it to be central to my studying. After weeks of repetition I'm starting to do significantly better on them, but I hope it compares to the real OAT or else it'll seem like a waste of time...

2. I also used the OAT Achiever for a bit, but I found the program to be ridiculously difficult at times, and so much more complicated than what I imagine the real OAT to be like. Does anyone have experience with Achiever and can compare it to the real OAT? I have to be honest, it was pretty discouraging seeing my scores when I used the program..

3. The orgo section is the one section I haven't started on, and struggle with the most. Does anyone have any tips on what I can focus on to be better prepared? Should I just memorize reactions... I found orgo to be pretty tough in university as well, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

So I'm taking my OAT exam in 5 weeks, and have been primarily using Chad's videos/quizzes, the fat Kaplan Strategies book, and Kaplan MCAT Biology review for preparation. I had three questions regarding to preparation:

1. Does anyone know how Chad's questions compare to the real OAT? Are they more difficult/less difficult? I really enjoy his website and found it to be central to my studying. After weeks of repetition I'm starting to do significantly better on them, but I hope it compares to the real OAT or else it'll seem like a waste of time...

2. I also used the OAT Achiever for a bit, but I found the program to be ridiculously difficult at times, and so much more complicated than what I imagine the real OAT to be like. Does anyone have experience with Achiever and can compare it to the real OAT? I have to be honest, it was pretty discouraging seeing my scores when I used the program..

3. The orgo section is the one section I haven't started on, and struggle with the most. Does anyone have any tips on what I can focus on to be better prepared? Should I just memorize reactions... I found orgo to be pretty tough in university as well, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks so much

I liked achiever, I thought it was harder than the actual but gave me a better idea of topics to study. My actual OAT scores were higher than the achiever ones, so don't get discouraged by that. I put orgo off until last and did the worst in that section, so if you know you had trouble in uni with it definitely start asap and focus on that section the most

I liked achiever, I thought it was harder than the actual but gave me a better idea of topics to study. My actual OAT scores were higher than the achiever ones, so don't get discouraged by that. I put orgo off until last and did the worst in that section, so if you know you had trouble in uni with it definitely start asap and focus on that section the most
how many Achiever exams did you practice with if you don't mind me asking

Members don't see this ad :)
how many Achiever exams did you practice with if you don't mind me asking

i bought the set of 3 for $70 or whatever the cost was, i definitely did 2, can't remember if i got through the third completely but i also did 1 kaplan... definitely do as many practice exams as you can (no matter where from) cause it helps you get used to the format and being able to focus for as long as you'll need to for the test

I'm using some loaned Kaplan study aides and CRACK the OAT with practice tests: 4 Nat Sci / 4 RC / 2 Phys / 10 QR. I have done about half of practice exams and also reviewing the Kaplan study book, OAT laminated "Quick Sheets" w/ equations and Kaplan flashcards. I have 7 (totally work free) days left to whip through several more practice tests and do more overall review. I'm testing in the 290-310 score range but have been told most practice exams are harder than the real thing. Keeping the confidence high and plugging away.

QUESTION: What's the philosophy on if it's better to make wild guesses if out of time VS. leaving questions blank??? Anyone know about this? Sometimes I can fall into the weeds on time and would like to know best strategy for 1 min left and 8 problems. If leaving blank won't count against my score, that seems the way to go vs. willy nilly C, B, C, D... Thanks for the input!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm using some loaned Kaplan study aides and CRACK the OAT with practice tests: 4 Nat Sci / 4 RC / 2 Phys / 10 QR. I have done about half of practice exams and also reviewing the Kaplan study book, OAT laminated "Quick Sheets" w/ equations and Kaplan flashcards. I have 7 (totally work free) days left to whip through several more practice tests and do more overall review. I'm testing in the 290-310 score range but have been told most practice exams are harder than the real thing. Keeping the confidence high and plugging away.

QUESTION: What's the philosophy on if it's better to make wild guesses if out of time VS. leaving questions blank??? Anyone know about this? Sometimes I can fall into the weeds on time and would like to know best strategy for 1 min left and 8 problems. If leaving blank won't count against my score, that seems the way to go vs. willy nilly C, B, C, D... Thanks for the input!
I would say not to leave any blank- I was told that if you need to guess, you statistically have a higher probability of getting more "right answers" if you stick to picking the same letter every time you guess. For example, if you need to guess with 1 minute left, pick c every time. Dont switch between A, B, C etc. That's just what I was told tho. I dont know if you find that helpful at all.

Reactions: 1 user