OAT, GPA, competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

car guy doc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the OAT and did worse than I expected. I scored a 310 TS and 310 AA with zero sections below 300. My cGPA is around a 3.45, sGPA 3.1. I have pretty good extracurricular activities including many different clubs/organizations (some of which I have held leadership positions), 100 hours of volunteering, and 40 hours shadowing at 3 different practices. Hopefully my application is submitted before August.

Please tell me my chances of getting into the following schools: OSU, IU, PCO. My dream school is OSU, but seeing as their stats have been so high lately, I'm feeling pretty pessimistic about my chances.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you have a pretty good shot at getting interviews with your stats.

My advice would be to submit your application as soon as possible, even if you don't have all of your evaluations or transcripts verified yet. I'm still waiting on a couple of my evaluations and for my transcripts to be verified by OptomCAS, but OSU already offered me an interview. So it can't hurt to submit it as soon as you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice would be to submit your application as soon as possible, even if you don't have all of your evaluations or transcripts verified yet. I'm still waiting on a couple of my evaluations and for my transcripts to be verified by OptomCAS, but OSU already offered me an interview. So it can't hurt to submit it as soon as you can.

Congrats! if you don't mind me asking, what were your stats?

Congrats! if you don't mind me asking, what were your stats?

390 AA/ 400 TS & 3.88 GPA.
I'll chalk it up to being a good test taker lol.

I think if you can submit your application early, you have a shot. Your application seems pretty well rounded.

390 AA/ 400 TS & 3.88 GPA.
I'll chalk it up to being a good test taker lol.

I think if you can submit your application early, you have a shot. Your application seems pretty well rounded.

Oh wow haha, well that's impressive

I just took the OAT and did worse than I expected. I scored a 310 TS and 310 AA with zero sections below 300. My cGPA is around a 3.45, sGPA 3.1. I have pretty good extracurricular activities including many different clubs/organizations (some of which I have held leadership positions), 100 hours of volunteering, and 40 hours shadowing at 3 different practices. Hopefully my application is submitted before August.

Please tell me my chances of getting into the following schools: OSU, IU, PCO. My dream school is OSU, but seeing as their stats have been so high lately, I'm feeling pretty pessimistic about my chances.

Thanks!

What did you use to prepare for the OAT & how did you think it compared to the actual exam ?

I am not sure about OSU. But I have stats similar to yours. 300 AA, 310 TS. cGPA: 3.46 sGPA: 3.15. 72 hours of shadowing and a TON amount of volunteer work. I have three interviews lined up for me: UAB, NOVA and ICO. You can get interviews with those stats.

Reactions: 1 users
I am not sure about OSU. But I have stats similar to yours. 300 AA, 310 TS. cGPA: 3.46 sGPA: 3.15. 72 hours of shadowing and a TON amount of volunteer work. I have three interviews lined up for me: UAB, NOVA and ICO. You can get interviews with those stats.

Hey!

I was wondering how long it took for NOVA to send you their supplemental application? My OptomCAS was verified last Thursday and I am yet to receive the email with the link.

Hey!

I was wondering how long it took for NOVA to send you their supplemental application? My OptomCAS was verified last Thursday and I am yet to receive the email with the link.

Hi,

I submit my Optomcas July 7th. It was verified July 12th and NOVA sent me their supplemental application on July 13th.

Hi,

I submit my Optomcas July 7th. It was verified July 12th and NOVA sent me their supplemental application on July 13th.

Is verified when the transcripts are received and matched to the info we put on optomcas? My transcripts are taking forever and I'm wondering if that's the reason my application hasnt verified yet.

Is verified when the transcripts are received and matched to the info we put on optomcas? My transcripts are taking forever and I'm wondering if that's the reason my application hasnt verified yet.

Yes

Do some schools have separate supplemental applications? I thought that the supplemental applications were the "supplemental questions" each school has on OptomCAS? which schools besides NOVA have separate supplemental applications that are sent after we submit our OptomCAS application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do some schools have separate supplemental applications? I thought that the supplemental applications were the "supplemental questions" each school has on OptomCAS? which schools besides NOVA have separate supplemental applications that are sent after we submit our OptomCAS application?

Some schools have a separate supplemental application. Some may invite you via an email containing instructions, or with others it's up to you to check the school's website usually under the "how to apply" section.

the supplemental applications usually cost $50 and are emailed to you after your optomcas app is verified... of the schools i applied to (nova, salus, azcopt, uiwrso, and sco) only nova and sco had supplementals. and nova's required another essay whereas sco's didnt

Check out this site. It has the information you're looking for.
Deadlines and Other Information | OptomCAS

Reactions: 1 user
Check out this site. It has the information you're looking for.
Deadlines and Other Information | OptomCAS

Thank you everyone for your help!! I just checked this website you attached and it mentions SUNY charging $40 for a supplemental application fee; I was pretty sure that SUNY didn't have a supplemental application. All of the admissions reps I've spoken to at SUNY never mentioned anything about a supplemental application, and they also have 2 additional essays on the "supplemental questions" part on OptomCAS. Has anyone who has applied to SUNY or NECO know if either school definitely has a supplemental application?

Any one here knows detail about GPA? If GPA with grade replacement ( as per OptomCas) is 3.4 and college calculated GPA is 2.9 would that is red flag and prevent getting interview.

Any one here knows detail about GPA? If GPA with grade replacement ( as per OptomCas) is 3.4 and college calculated GPA is 2.9 would that is red flag and prevent getting interview.

It probably depends on the school. How many classes did you repeat? Were the grades a significant improvement (D -> B or C -> A)?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's not a red flag. Optomcas does grade forgiveness if you take the same course again. I have done that for 2 courses. Also, (at least in my school) if you have credit/grades transferred from another intuition, some colleges don't calculate it into the GPA when Optomcas does calculate it.

It's not a red flag. Optomcas does grade forgiveness if you take the same course again. I have done that for 2 courses. Also, (at least in my school) if you have credit/grades transferred from another intuition, some colleges don't calculate it into the GPA when Optomcas does calculate it.
Thanks.

@JAB1215 Late reply but SUNY doesn't have a separate supplemental form, but they do ask you to pay the supplemental fee.