NYU or Rutgers Honors College for Pre Med

emailforturtles

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly, it doesn't matter. If you want to go to NYU Med then maybe going to NYU and having connections with the physicians there may help. In terms of which will get you into med school? It doesn't matter where you go as long as you do well.

I'd say it depends on how set you are on medicine. In general a degree from NYU will take you farther but if you're set on medical school I for one dont think it's worth you (or your family) taking on an NYU level financial burden just for a stepping stone to medical school. Plenty of people get into medical schools top 10 medical schools from state schools.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm at NYU right now and I'm very happy to be here. The resources and classes have been excellent and I have no regrets. There are lots of honors programs you can join once you are in school, so you aren't missing out there. One of the ways I chose was that NYU's associated medical school (Langone) was higher ranked than the associated medical schools of my other choices. I have had the opportunity to talk with current Langone students, have participated in a lot of clubs, and intend to start research my sophomore year (it's pretty easy, a not-insignificant portion of my friends already started in freshman year!). Maybe make sure your parents are aware of the difference in financial burden before they say it doesn't matter, but I love it here.

That being said, I don't think one will get you in and one will keep you out. I think you could pick either and look back in a year and say "I made the right choice."

For the undergrad part, pick the institution that will saddle you with the least amount of debt. For the purpose of medical school, either one will work.

NYU. I've worked with some of their faculty (research) & done critical care transport from rural areas to their hospitals & can say that it's a remarkable group of people over there. If I had the opportunity to attend for ug to be around the innovative focus that NYU has, it's a life changing kind of experience & being in the heart of NYC is the kind of experience that's pretty awesome -- also -- having that background will open doors down the road.

If the resources are available, go to NYU and don't look back.

Reactions: 1 user