MPH NYU MPH Fall 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NKDmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will be attending NYU Mph Fall 2014 in Global Health Leadership. I was hoping future classmates who are planning to join this fall can connect and help each other with questions!

I am very excited, but I have not visited the campus yet and would love to meet future classmates!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, also considering the program. I also got into their MPA, so I'm not sure which one I will go to yet....Will be visiting next month.

I am also considering the program. Community and International Health. I visited the campus in early February but didn't really get to see much of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I accepted at NYU for the Community and International Health program! I'm Canadian and haven't visited the campus yet but I'm excited about the program when I move to NYC!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I accepted at NYU for the Community and International Health program! I'm Canadian and haven't visited the campus yet but I'm excited about the program when I move to NYC!

May I ask why you chose the program? I am trying to decide between NYU and another school, and would appreciate any input into the program. Thanks!

Hi @sb786 I chose the program because I thought NYC would have great job opportunities and experience while I do my MPH and afterwards. I also got into contact with a professor I wanted to work with there too. I've heard good things about the program from people in it and people who have done it.

I'm probably going to decline the offer as I received not much funding, and ironically their Health policy program gave me $$$

Anyone going for the admitted student reception?

Anyone going for the admitted student reception?

I won't be able to make it for the admitted student's reception. I will be reaching Ny in May if anyone wants to catch up then. :)

@sb786
I contacted the office and they introduced me to some current students. It really helped me decide because I asked them questions I had about the program. Hope that helps!

I won't be able to make it for the admitted student's reception. I will be reaching Ny in May if anyone wants to catch up then. :)

@sb786
I contacted the office and they introduced me to some current students. It really helped me decide because I asked them questions I had about the program. Hope that helps!

Thanks! I reached out to a current student and an alumna this week, so hopefully their responses will help in my decision making. I can't go to the admitted student's reception, but I remember reading something about them holding an online information session for admitted students. So hopefully that will happen!

Hey i just received my admission for this fall and trying to decide between this school and mt. sinai mph, any advice? thanks!

Hey i just received my admission for this fall and trying to decide between this school and mt. sinai mph, any advice? thanks!

I think it comes down to what you want to do as a public health professional and see what school offers a degree that can help you achieve that. Financial aid is an important factor in deciding where you wanna go but at the end of the day you're paying for networking opportunities, alumni connections, internships/capstone experiences so ask yourself where do you think you will get the best bang for your buck. I hope this helps you:)

Well, since they are both in NYC, I guess you don't have to take into account which city you like best/is a better fit. But like epfrias said, you should definitely look at which school is a better fit for your career goals. Meaning, do they offer classes that will teach the skills you will need to work in your area of interest? do they have electives that interest you? do the practicum/internship opportunities relate to your area of interest... I am not sure about Mt. Sinai, but they NYU website has syllabi for most of the classes, so you could look those up and see if the courses offer meet your needs. I would also recommend speaking with alumni/current students. That definitely helped me a lot. You can email Lisa Kroin at [email protected], and she can put you in contact with someone.

Good luck making your decision!

Hi NKDMed. I'm a MD from Venezuela. I'm currently searching for options about Public Health Masters. The NYU Global Health Leadership is one of my favorites and I would like to know more about academic students profile prior to apply to the University. I'm next to take an intensive English course in the University of Florida, afterwards I am undecided if I should gain some Public Health experience with a Certification or if I am okey with apply directly to the MPH with a undergraduate GPA 3.45, letters from my Venezuelan professors, a future excellent TOEFL Score (hopefully!!) and 2 years of experience in Venezuelan Health System. Best regards to all!!

Hi NKDMed. I'm a MD from Venezuela. I'm currently searching for options about Public Health Masters. The NYU Global Health Leadership is one of my favorites and I would like to know more about academic students profile prior to apply to the University. I'm next to take an intensive English course in the University of Florida, afterwards I am undecided if I should gain some Public Health experience with a Certification or if I am okey with apply directly to the MPH with a undergraduate GPA 3.45, letters from my Venezuelan professors, a future excellent TOEFL Score (hopefully!!) and 2 years of experience in Venezuelan Health System. Best regards to all!!

You should check out their FAQ page. It answers some of your questions. I applied with minimal public health work experience but I did participate in several internships during undergrad but you're already professionally furthered so I would assume that you're more competitive than a lot of applicants. You should reach out to the admissions committee. That's the best way to get the answers you're looking for.

Sent my deposit this morning! Very excited but also pretty scared! Hope to see some of you there! :soexcited:

an MD and 2 years of ph experience is enough to apply to all the top MPH programs. MPH programs love MDs and especially with your global background you should have no problem getting in anywhere you want. Hope you're safe in Venezuela...I've heard about all the turmoil in the news.

Thanks for your answers @Pdesai8 @epfrias . Venezuela is a chaos now, I'm safe but so disappointed, frustrated, and afraid of the situation. Hopefully I will apply next year... :)

Reactions: 1 user
is anyone willing to share what they received in scholarship aid from NYU's MPH program? They offered me $8,000 a year split between the Fall and Spring. A bit more would make them more competitive with other programs I was admitted to but I am not sure if I should ask them to reconsider my aid package?

is anyone willing to share what they received in scholarship aid from NYU's MPH program? They offered me $8,000 a year split between the Fall and Spring. A bit more would make them more competitive with other programs I was admitted to but I am not sure if I should ask them to reconsider my aid package?

They only gave me $5k but I declined the offer.

I'm still deciding between BU and NYU's MPH programs. How do people feel about NYU's program?