NYMC vs UCF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYMC or UCF?

• NYMC

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • UCF

Votes: 16 50.0%

• Total voters

Premed1056

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to both (thankfully!) but am having trouble deciding where to go. I am an OOS applicant for both, and therefore the costs will likely be similar. UCF has a beautiful new campus with a staff that seems very invested in the success of the students, as well as a beautiful new medical campus. However, being such a new school I am worried about its reputation to residency directors and opportunities for research to explore any area I'm interested in. For me, NYMC has the advantage of being just outside NYC, more established reputation, and more opportunities for research. And the NYMC campus is still very nice, with Westchester Medical center right there. I am likely going for a competitive subspecialty so maybe thats also something to consider.

Which would you all choose? I'm honestly torn, leaning NYMC though

Members don't see this ad.

I have been accepted to both (thankfully!) but am having trouble deciding where to go. I am an OOS applicant for both, and therefore the costs will likely be similar. UCF has a beautiful new campus with a staff that seems very invested in the success of the students, as well as a beautiful new medical campus. However, being such a new school I am worried about its reputation to residency directors and opportunities for research to explore any area I'm interested in. For me, NYMC has the advantage of being just outside NYC, more established reputation, and more opportunities for research. And the NYMC campus is still very nice, with Westchester Medical center right there. I am likely going for a competitive subspecialty so maybe thats also something to consider.

Which would you all choose? I'm honestly torn, leaning NYMC though

I interviewed at both and I'd say NYMC since it has more research opportunities without the whole FIRE project meaning you'd be free to explore research on your own accord without being required to produce something because it's in the curriculum. Also as you said it's just outside of NYC, so think of all the great research and rotational opportunities it'd offer you plus more in-depth exposure to what's done in competitive sub-specialities and the medical center is RIGHT there making your 3rd/4th year experiences super convenient.

Both schools are good, but I think NYMC would provide you some significant benefits.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for the great feedback. I think you're right though, the research and rotational opportunities in New York do seem better. Anyone else have an opinion?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Kemosabe. It's great that UCF encourages research, however I don't like that it's integrated into the curriculum. It seems like you have to find time out of your own schedule to do research while trying to balance classes. It seemed like previous classes complained about this. NYMC's strength is its location. Better opportunities to do your clinical rotations in your 3rd and 4th years. More opportunities to network with better and more established hospitals in the area. It seems like they match pretty heavily in NY and the Northeast so if you're looking to stay around the area, that's a plus. NYMC is also more established and has massive alumni network. That being said, UCF is pretty great school. Awesome Florida weather, new and beautiful facilities, use of cutting edge technology in the curriculum. Ultimately, you should go where you'll feel comfortable because that's where you're most likely to succeed.

I know someone at UCF that raves about the research opportunities. It's true that it's required through the FIRE program, but they give you plenty of time and support to do what you want so you're not pushed into just doing any research for the sake of completing a requirement. UCF has so much money and resources that there is something that you really want to do, they will do their best to make it happen. While they don't have much prestige they do have great facilities, every resource you could possibly ask for, and great faculty. They're ambitious and want to build their prestige, and looking at where their students have been matching I'd say they are well on their way.

I'm in a similar situation! Where did you end up going? :)

Maybe because I’m instate but this is a no brainer for me: UCF

Looking at match list might help you decide as well.

UCFs newer reputation definitely has not hindered it with its match list (ex: 2017 with the 6 dermatology matches)