NYMC vs EVMS vs Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

me8hu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping to get a bit of advice since I have been bouncing back and forth between NYMC, EVMS, and Drexel for the past 3 months.

I'm currently accepted at NYMC, waitlisted as IS on the top 1/3 at EVMS, and waitlisted at Drexel (I'm currently finishing one of their SMPs and was told by an advisor that historically the students from their SMPs all get in off the waitlist, eventually).

About me: from VA and have IS there but immediate family mostly everywhere now (Va, DC, FL, CA). Thinking I'd like to specialize in OB/Gyn but obviously this could change and I want to ensure I'd have a good option to do anything else. Would like to do residency on the west coast. SO is staying in Philly for at least one more year and who knows where after (he's applying to med school next year).

NYMC
Pros:
- accepted.
- classes seem straightforward and organized.
- Great 3rd year rotation options in NYC, Westchester, NJ
- Between NYMC and Drexel, both match lists are pretty great IMO. Lots of OB/Gyn for both, mostly in NJ or NY from NYMC but some west coast.

Cons:
- Tuition and overall COA is STEEP. I have a pet so living off-campus would be estimated total ~$88k + per year.
- don't like that 1/2 of the students live in on-campus dorm housing.. seems like the people that live on-campus don't know anyone who lives off-campus and vice versa (kinda weird to me).
- Valhalla is boring, White Plains doesn't seem that much better, would probably enjoy going to NYC for the occasional weekend since I have friends there but crashing on their couches everytime I visit isn't ideal.
- vibes at interview day were meh. Went to second look and liked it more but I'm still on the fence.

EVMS
Pros:
- cheapest option by far. IS tuition ~32k and rent is super cheap in Norfolk.
- from Va, have a lot of friends that go to EVMS, the beach is nearby.
- really good vibes at interview day with both students and faculty (read: felt most at home here).
- high step 1 scores
- 3rd year rotations all w/in 15 min drive.

Cons:
- Match isn't as good here as NYMC or Drexel and most people match in IM, primary care. Very few of the competitive specialties on their match list or if they did match some competitively they weren't very well represented. Also mostly match in VA for OB/Gyn. Good options for going west coast though.
- Norfolk isn't the best area to live in.
- biggest con for this school is I would be 5+ hours from my SO. Not easy if we are trying to spend every other weekend together.

Drexel
Pros:
- in their SMP and took ~75% of the MS1 classes so it would be the easiest transition into a full medical school curriculum.
- Philly is an amazing city to live in. Would be easy to find a great place at a decent cost since I've been here for 2 years now.
- board scores and match list are pretty good. Match in competitive specialties, with some at competitive programs. Match to the west coast.
- SO and I would be in the same city for at least one more year. But I'm worried that I would be choosing Drexel just for him and I'm not completely comfortable with that.

Cons:
- Don't really like their curriculum all that much and not sure if it's going to be better or worse after the new changes to more self-study with large and small group learning 2-3 times a week (have heard this can be a drag and not very productive after awhile).
- $$$ tuition ~58k (but better cost of living than NYMC)
- facilities aren't that great and the school could do better with such an expensive tuition that continues to go up each year.

Any and all advice is appreciated!! I don't have any decisions to make right now since my only acceptance is NYMC but I'm hopeful that I'll get off Drexel's waitlist at least. EVMS may be harder since I'm IS and no one wants to give up that IS tuition, but I am on the top 1/3 of their waitlist so who knows.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

If you get into EVMS, I'd go there. I interviewed there and am also interested in OB/Gyn, and felt like EVMS had a lot of opportunities in that field. Many faculty (and I think the admissions dean) are OB/Gyns, the emphasis on ultrasound in the curriculum was really unique, and if I remember correctly it has some strong historical ties to REI research facilities. Plus it's cheaper and you felt the "fit" factor. Also interviewed at NYMC and felt really meh about it. I don't think the match list is a reliable indicator of where you'll end up. In my opinion, it's not worth the extra ~$200k over 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think you might end up with an Amazingly amazing roommate at NYMC, who your cat loves. So there is that.