NYCPM or TUSPM: Decision Week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which School do you think is a better fit?

• NYCPM

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Temple

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

Nowehjose

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just when I thought around 3pm today, I was going to decide on Temple(1yr $8k), NYCPM(4yr 24k) sends me a package to punch me in the thought box. I have always been a fan of the ideology "Go with the money". I assumed NYCPM offered me no scholarship since it was not listed on the acceptance letter, like Temple/Kent. I wholeheartedly believe most learning is done during clinical and residency. Now my scale has shifted to NYCPM.

My Thoughts
-I hate cities and I hate not having a car, so immediately both are tied.
-I want to do a residency in NJ, both tied again.
-Potential for more scholarship at NYC(6k+other merit scholarships 2,3, and 4yr).
-I liked Temple classrooms better/learning environment Y1/2.
-I like NYCPM clinical year better, more trauma and hospital exposure according to student doctors I talked to.
-Mom, girlfriend and all my friends live on Long Island still.

Members don't see this ad.

Pick where you're comfortable.

For me first 2 years are most important. I do not have problems communicating and firmly believe I can do well in any clinical environment.

Didactics environment would be my priority and therefore Temple. Can't pass class --> can't pass boards --> can't get to clinicals anyways.

Do you place more emphasis on didactics or clinicals? I only pick didactics because I know it is my weak spot. If you have strong stats regardless, go with more money + better clinicals.

Just personal opinion from what you've listed.

Reactions: 1 user
Go temple. I have heard nothing but negatives from New York. Which isn't to say the school is terrible, it might actually be a good school, but there is a reason why so many people don't like it.

I would hate both places. Big cities are not my style.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just when I thought around 3pm today, I was going to decide on Temple(1yr $8k), NYCPM(4yr 24k) sends me a package to punch me in the thought box. I have always been a fan of the ideology "Go with the money". I assumed NYCPM offered me no scholarship since it was not listed on the acceptance letter, like Temple/Kent. I wholeheartedly believe most learning is done during clinical and residency. Now my scale has shifted to NYCPM.

My Thoughts
-I hate cities and I hate not having a car, so immediately both are tied.
-I want to do a residency in NJ, both tied again.
-Potential for more scholarship at NYC(6k+other merit scholarships 2,3, and 4yr).
-I liked Temple classrooms better/learning environment Y1/2.
-I like NYCPM clinical year better, more trauma and hospital exposure according to student doctors I talked to.
-Mom, girlfriend and all my friends live on Long Island still.

Personal finance situations are always something to take into account. Besides that, your first 2-2.5 years are largely spent at the school and the area close to the school. Hopefully you enjoy the campus and environment. Clinically, you're going to have plenty of opportunity for exposure at either school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

First, $$$$$$$$$$. Cash rules everything.

Beyond that... to your point of 'Classrooms and learning environment'... my two cents... didactic years are pretty much up to you. Profs burn through material too fast in class for you to possibly retain all that much, and you end up teaching yourself all the shi.... stuff anyway. So this point is moot. Again, just my experience.

Reactions: 1 users
As someone who is about to enter their 3rd year of residency, the first 2 years of podiatry school don't really matter in the long run. Yes, you learn important information but it isn't as relevant on a day to day basis. I think choosing a podiatry school based on the 1st and 2nd year curriculum is extremely shortsighted. You are going to podiatry school to be a physician, not to be a professional powerpoint studier. Both schools have a history of excellent part 1 board pass rates so that shouldn't be a deciding factor for you.

Go where you feel most comfortable and where you felt like you had the best fit. If you're happy where you are, you will be more motivated and are more likely to succeed.

Reactions: 5 users
I'd go the one where my chances of making it all the to residency are better. If the retention rate for the 4 years at Temple is better than 74%, then go there.
I understand that we as students have to do the majority of the work and ace the material, but having extra support from faculty and a curriculum that isn't insane, helps as well.

Also, factor in the living expenses for both schools.

Don't want to bash on NYCPM, but I really love New York and grew up in Bergen County and have family in Both the city and upstate NY. I looked into the school for myself and unfortunately found way too many reasons as to why I personally did not like the school and was very disappointed.

With that being said, I think you would probably be happier being close to your family and gf. You can always go home on the weekends and get some good home cooked meals. You still could with temple but it would take much much longer on public transportation and cost a bit, unless your gf was willing to make the drive to pick you up!

As for the money, don't let that influence you too much. A few thousand dollars although with interest over years can be a lot, you will still be able to pay it off and won't really feel like it's that much more in comparison. What it's like 220k vs 200k? If you plan on living within your means and being a bit frugal after residency, you will still pay it off Around the same amount of time. Being happy while in school is very important, so regardless of money, pick where you will be happy.

As for the clinicals, all that truely matters is the externships during your 4th year. Yeah 3rd year clinicals are important, but externships are where it's at! And the choice boils down to how many externships each school gives you the time for so you can squeeze them in before interviews.

Anyways, I think although I would personally pick Temple, you should pick where you think you will be happiest.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't they both have the same# of externships?

Don't they both have the same# of externships?

Temple now has 6 externship months starting for the class of 2018. IDK if it's a trial run, but the curriculum has changed to create another externship month for students.

And I agree with josebiwasabi. Both schools are great in regards to academic and clinic exposure. I had the chance to work with NYCPM students and while I was at a NY program and was surprised by how similar we all were in regards to what we know clinically and academically. You just really need to know where you will feel more comfortable. It's hard at this point to choose, but my suggestion would be to go somewhere where you would graduate with the least amount of debt.

I would probably say the typical "where can you see yourself living for 4 years?"

I haven't been to temple but I would lean more towards ny because you're closer to family and the scholarship is a lot bigger. I wouldn't be that concerned with the retention rate because I think you're intelligent enough to excel anywhere. I would look more at board pass rates.

I was also really impressed with the clinic which partially swayed my decision towards ny. I saw more crazy stuff in an hour than a whole day of shadowing a podiatrist.

Stay close to family. I wish the state I live in had a school :'(

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks everyone, although I like temple and philly, I think Nycpm makes more sense in the long run.

Reactions: 9 users
I was definitely in a similar position to you when I was deciding where to go. Once I got into Temple and NYCPM I canceled all my other interviews because I knew I wanted to stay in the northeast. I'm from the NY area so NYCPM appealed to me in that I could live at home but I loved Philly and could have imagined myself living there. Temple gave me $8k and NYCPM gave me nothing. I actually preferred the vibe I got from Temple over NYCPM but in the long run I see myself living in the NY area and my entire support system lives here. Plus, having to move to a new city, figure out the logistics of moving all my stuff, and find a place to live just seemed like too much of a hassle. So even though Temple had the edge over NYCPM for most things, I chose NYCPM.

I was in a very similar situation. A few days before my Temple deposit deadline, NYCPM hit me with a scholarship offer that blew me out of the water. I ultimately decided to choose Temple between the two, but I honestly think I'd go with NYCPM in your position. Your family and SO are in NYC. Neither school's cons (or pros) severely outweigh the other, so you can't really make a wrong decision in my opinion.