NYCPM: Ask Current Students Anything!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
gap 3.3 and spa 3.2, how competitive is this score for NYCPM? Haven't taken MCAT but what will I need at least to get on MCAT?
Your g.p.a is very close to average! If you score average Mcats you should be good to go. Average Mcats for freshmen class I believe is 23-24 (this is old MCATs scoring), sorry the school website hasn't updated for the new scoring yet. If you score below this try and have something to outweigh it, maybe some extra shadowing or research.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I have a question regarding transportation. Did any of you bring a vehicle to drive and is it necessary? does nycpm help with transportation?

Hi, I have a question regarding transportation. Did any of you bring a vehicle to drive and is it necessary? does nycpm help with transportation?
Yes we have some students that drive in! The school has a parking lot. It cost around 60 dollars a month (which is cheap for the city). SO i guess this option is useful for students or faculty that will usually drive in.

Members don't see this ad :)
BUMP! These last two pages should be an interesting read for applicants this year.

Reactions: 1 user
I got an interview with NYCPM. My stats are below average to say the least. Just wondering what the interview process will be like and what I should do to prepare? Really, any advise will be awesome. Thanks

I got an interview with NYCPM. My stats are below average to say the least. Just wondering what the interview process will be like and what I should do to prepare? Really, any advise will be awesome. Thanks
I'd say show your passion. Be ready to defend. They will try and shake you a little so stay strong and show them you want this. Show them you are willing to work hard and are passionate. If questioned about your stats acknowledge them, maybe state what you have learned to do differently to prevent it from happening again. Good luck!

Out of the three schools I interviewed at, NYCPM made me explain the shortcomings in my app a lot more than the other schools. Don't stress about it, but have answers ready for the questions.

I'd say show your passion. Be ready to defend. They will try and shake you a little so stay strong and show them you want this. Show them you are willing to work hard and are passionate. If questioned about your stats acknowledge them, maybe state what you have learned to do differently to prevent it from happening again. Good luck!
Thanks! I am preparing for my interview and will show I am passionate. They shall not shake me!

Out of the three schools I interviewed at, NYCPM made me explain the shortcomings in my app a lot more than the other schools. Don't stress about it, but have answers ready for the questions.
I am currently going through some interview questions and how I would respond to them. I will definitely show them that I am passionate and am willing to work very hard in order to succeed!

Bump!

Update: They raised tuition, did not raise loans, and we got dumped by Mount Sinai (for not paying dues) while simultaneously losing our in-house PT guy (for sexual harassment charges). Stay Classy

Bump!

Update: They raised tuition, did not raise loans, and we got dumped by Mount Sinai (for not paying dues) while simultaneously losing our in-house PT guy (for sexual harassment charges). Stay Classy
Buy the university and save it, Jay-Z

Hi, I've been wanting to ask a podiatry student's opinion on my chances for entrance success in podiatry school. Here are my stats:
3.53 overall, 3.37 science, 18 and 17 MCAT's (V-5, PS-4, BS-9) and (V-1, PS-8, BS-8)
I know the weak pts are the composite and verbal scores, but I believe the biological and physical science scores will actually point out that I can do well on boards and critically think in sciences which should be more important anyway. If you will, please let me in on your opinion for it will be most appreciated. Thanks.

Wait a sec...you seriously got a 1 on verbal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question for NYCPM students currently in the first year how are you liking it?
For off-campus housing how much are you paying?
Did anyone do january admit? Whats the exact balance of courses, Im planning on talking to the admin about a transfer.

Is it advantageous at all to start in January?

Also, is NYCPM the only pod school with a JAN start date?

Is it advantageous at all to start in January?

Also, is NYCPM the only pod school with a JAN start date?

yes and yes.

The people who start at the "normal" time quickly realize that the January start would have been the smarter choice. Starting in January lets you transition into the rigors in medical school without being overwhelmed. There is actually usually some friction between the January starters and the August starters because the first 3 official semesters are much easier for those who started earlier.

At this time, only NYCPM offers the earlier start date.

Reactions: 1 users
January start date is such a good idea.

That and a trimester system. I don't understand why schools feel the need to cramp so much stuff on the plate.

yes and yes.

The people who start at the "normal" time quickly realize that the January start would have been the smarter choice. Starting in January lets you transition into the rigors in medical school without being overwhelmed. There is actually usually some friction between the January starters and the August starters because the first 3 official semesters are much easier for those who started earlier.

At this time, only NYCPM offers the earlier start date.

Does anyone know what time January students are done with class. I know they can start at 8 am or 9 am, but what about the lab? How late can I expect to be on campus for?

Does anyone know what time January students are done with class. I know they can start at 8 am or 9 am, but what about the lab? How late can I expect to be on campus for?

It depends on the Term.

For Term 1 when you take Anatomy and Bacteriology (Jan-May):
Anatomy is going to be most time intensive due to the 4 hour lab you have once a week. Labs are scheduled 2-6pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays (January students are assigned to the Tuesday lab section unless they change it for you). While you don't need the entire time for some of the labs, especially the ones earlier in the semester, there will be times when you need the entire 4 hours (and more) to complete everything. For those complex labs, expect to not leave campus until after 6pm. On a lighter note, on the 4 other days you don't have anatomy lab, days are pretty easy and you only have anywhere from 0-4 hours of class and some weeks you only have to go in 2 or 3 days.

For term 2 when you take Infectious Diseases (June-August):
This class takes up your entire life. Not joking. Expect to go in 5 days a week. It's really poorly scheduled so there are some days when there's only an hour of class and other days there are 5 hours. At least the classes are usually scheduled in the mornings so you can leave by 2-3pm.

To recap: For term 1, you usually go in fewer days but the days you have lab you leave pretty late. For term 2, you go in more days, but you leave pretty early each day.

Reactions: 1 users
Orientation at NYCPM...what can I expect?

Last edited:
why's that?
It's like UG, it's a dog eat school, so don't go out of your way for people who wouldn't do the same for you. A lot of people have bad ego problems, especially some upperclassmen. Don't depend on spoon-fed study material from them either, study your own material and use theirs to help.

I was lucky to find my own clique early, so just find a few people you can rely on.

Hello everyone! I couldn't find any parking information on the NYCPM website. I have not been accepted yet, but just wondering if I did attend. Does the school provide parking spots or do we have to find parking ourselves everyday? If there is a monthly parking program, can I leave my car at the school parking lots? I would like to bring my car into the city because of the convenience of having a car. But I will try to get an apartment close by to the school so that I don't have to walk too far to my car.
Thanks!!

Hello everyone! I couldn't find any parking information on the NYCPM website. I have not been accepted yet, but just wondering if I did attend. Does the school provide parking spots or do we have to find parking ourselves everyday? If there is a monthly parking program, can I leave my car at the school parking lots? I would like to bring my car into the city because of the convenience of having a car. But I will try to get an apartment close by to the school so that I don't have to walk too far to my car.
Thanks!!
Parking is 60$ a month
The lot is right next to the school under the metro north station

Reactions: 3 users