NYCPM: Ask Current Students Anything!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got accepted to NYCPM and to be honest I'm kind of nervous about the graduation rate. The website says it's 71%. Pod school is quite expensive so I don't expect a lot of people to just up and leave after making such a commitment. I've heard you're out if you fail two classes so are people getting booted or are they just leaving? What's going on?

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering, does NYCPM have a policy against tattoos and piercings? For instance, I have a nose piercing, a few ear piercings, and a small wrist tattoo, will this be an issue if I choose to attend NYCPM?

I do not believe that this is against policy (some students do remove their piercings, however).

I just got accepted to NYCPM and to be honest I'm kind of nervous about the graduation rate. The website says it's 71%. Pod school is quite expensive so I don't expect a lot of people to just up and leave after making such a commitment. I've heard you're out if you fail two classes so are people getting booted or are they just leaving? What's going on?

Here's an anecdote: The class of 2017 started with 109 students, after 2 full years there are 105 (including 2 transfers and 2-3 from upper years). The 4 year graduation rate is increasing every single year here, but there are certainly people who fail out due to academic reasons and those that leave on their own terms, one even to MD school. Students are getting more competitive every year, and no one should have a problem if they work hard. The school policy is if you fail more than two classes PER SEMESTER, then you are out. On a side note, podiatry school outcomes, which include 4 year graduation rate averages, are published on each school's website but are very dubious. Many have asterisks next to numbers claiming only eligible students are counted, or pick certain good statistical years.

How does one find out their class rank at NYCPM? Can you find out after every semester or after each full school year?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Students find out their rank by going to to the main office and simply asking. It is certainly available every year, but may be seen after each semester as well. Hopefully, the rank will be available on each students online account in the future.

When does NYCPM tell people about scholarship eligibility? Do they offer them in the acceptance letter or do they wait until all the financial aid info is in?

Hi, first off thanks to all the students for the prompt responses and great information.

I was wondering if there is any difference in the admission statistics for the winter entering class?
My cGPA and sGPA hover right around a 3.1 and my mcat is a 27
i was wondering what my chances are if i apply early to the winter class

Hi, first off thanks to all the students for the prompt responses and great information.

I was wondering if there is any difference in the admission statistics for the winter entering class?
My cGPA and sGPA hover right around a 3.1 and my mcat is a 27
i was wondering what my chances are if i apply early to the winter class

You have a good chance. cGPA and sGPA are borderline but MCAT is above average.

When does NYCPM tell people about scholarship eligibility? Do they offer them in the acceptance letter or do they wait until all the financial aid info is in?

You will know about Merit based scholarship together with your acceptance letter. Financial Aid is something you can discuss at any time with financial aid office.

I was just wondering if it is too late to send in an application for this cycle (for August). I've completed the application, I just need to review and submit. My stats are - MCAT: 21, GPA: 3.64, science GPA: 3.75.
Also, under experiences, is it okay to also list DO/MD shadowing on top of podiatry shadowing? I used to be pre-med but recently switched to pre-pod because after shadowing, I realized that this is what i wanted to do! I have learned valuable things by shadowing MD/DOs that are applicable to podiatry as well, so is it okay to include that?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi everyone... I currently have a 3.35 overall gpa and a 3.6 science gpa. Also have RN work experience and DO shadowing experience (I'm also trying DO). Assuming I Get a 26+ mcat do I have a chance at getting into NYCPM?

Hey guys,
Not sure if it's been covered already but is starting in January more competitive than September? I'll be applying next cycle with cgpa/sGPA of 2.9 and an abysmal MCAT of 21 (7/7/7). I do have a GPA of ~3.8 in my last 2 years but not sure if NYCPM would look at upward trends.
Also, are there any Canadians in the program? :)

Getting a spot in the January program is not more competitive than September, as long as your application time frame is sound. Yes there Canadian students in every class.

Hi everyone... I currently have a 3.35 overall gpa and a 3.6 science gpa. Also have RN work experience and DO shadowing experience (I'm also trying DO). Assuming I Get a 26+ mcat do I have a chance at getting into NYCPM?

Make sure to shadow a DPM as well. A 26+ MCAT will get you in every school.

Hey everyone!

I got my interview invite this week, couldn't believe it! I am so excited! I have my interview for May 26th. I will be reviewing the "Interview Feedback" student doctor users offer to us but was wondering what the recent interview experience was like for those that are starting in September.

Ms. Marsha Bailey told me that the interview could now possibly be for the waitlist for September 2015, January 2016 or September 2016. :( She couldn't tell me if the September 2015 class was already filled.

Is anyone else preparing for a May or June interview?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

I got my interview invite this week, couldn't believe it! I am so excited! I have my interview for May 26th. I will be reviewing the "Interview Feedback" student doctor users offer to us but was wondering what the recent interview experience was like for those that are starting in September.

Ms. Marsha Bailey told me that the interview could now possibly be for the waitlist for September 2015, January 2016 or September 2016. :( She couldn't tell me if the September 2015 class was already filled.

Is anyone else preparing for a May or June interview?

Thank you!

I am accepted and enrolled to the Sep 15 class already and we got an email this past week stating that our class was indeed full.

Any students or future students in NYC May 24-26? I will be up there for my interview and would love to hang out with you guys before the big day! LMK.

I just ended first year at NYCPM and after two semesters of classes I winded up with a 3.007 cumulative GPA? Is this in a decent range for our school? I am really wondering what the average GPA of the class is at this point.

Any advice/insight from upperclassmen would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

I just ended first year at NYCPM and after two semesters of classes I winded up with a 3.007 cumulative GPA? Is this in a decent range for our school? I am really wondering what the average GPA of the class is at this point.

Any advice/insight from upperclassmen would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

That is usually around the average range at NYCPM. To find out your class rank (i.e where your GPA falls), go to the registrar in the main office and ask. It probably won't be available until the start of 3rd semester, however.

Why do i keep hearing at nycpm that the average gpa is usually around 2.7? Is that number usually by the end of 4 years?

So I'm strongly considering shooting for the January class. When should I apply? I should have my app in by September. Would that be okay for the Jan class or no?

Also my fiancée and our two dogs would be moving there. We are from the Midwest so the big city life would be new. Any suggestions on where to live that isn't vary far from campus??

Why do i keep hearing at nycpm that the average gpa is usually around 2.7? Is that number usually by the end of 4 years?
That seems a bit low, and the averages do fluctuate from year to year. If multiple students tell you this, that's fine, but don't get hung up on the average which has no impact on your success as a student. Always do your best and results will come. Sounds preachy but it's true.

So I'm strongly considering shooting for the January class. When should I apply? I should have my app in by September. Would that be okay for the Jan class or no?

Also my fiancée and our two dogs would be moving there. We are from the Midwest so the big city life would be new. Any suggestions on where to live that isn't vary far from campus??

Apply as soon as possible! The January class is small, and you can have a great chance at getting in if you apply within a couple months. Many incoming students choose to live in student housing to adjust with many students around them, but there are other students (some with families) that live further away in Brooklyn, Queens, Jersey, etc. Unfortunately, you won't escape the 'city-feel', but I hear there are a few places that are fairly close and not as lively as Manhattan (Astoria, Queens comes to mind).

Hello, I asked similar question before, but i would like some clarification. How often do we need to use books? In college, I studied mostly from power point presentation slides, and used book mostly before exam to clarify some things. I also used to get older edition books, they were cheaper, but information was pretty much the same, just newer pictures. Could I do this for first year of classes? Or the exact book is absolutely necessary? Should I bring books to class? Should I buy new books, or old are ok. Should I just buy kindle version and use them on IPad Mini? All opinions, advises will be very appreciated!

Thank you!

Question about living in NYC. Does anyone knows about Long Island City? How it is to live there. Based on subway, it is only 25 min from school, which is a great distance. However, how about crime rate, grocery shopping, coming back at night? Thank you for all your responses!

Hi to everyone considering podiatry as a medical graduate path & NYCPM as a school!
Please feel free to ask any questions about the school (class sizes/ schedule/ curriculum/ area/ anything you would like to know about podiatry or NYCPM in general. A student from the school would be more than happy to answer any of your questions at their earliest convenience.
Please try to avoid asking questions about your chances of getting into the school via stats, simply because every applicant varies and we aren't able to provide concrete answers for you in that aspect.

As a current student, I would not come back to NYCPM knowing what I know now. At first, I actually liked the attendance policy, but in 2nd year its just silly. I am increasingly annoyed at the professors and the faculty. There are so many unprofessional people working in Pre-Clinical and Clinical sciences. The environment has become so negative between everyone in our class (2018), all anyone does is complain. I am so unhappy with my choice to come here, although I have never been to any other podiatry school so I cannot compare, maybe they are all bad.

But the curriculum is so repetitive and second year you are in class from 8-5/6 and have multiple exams in a week. I have friends at MD schools that have class from 10-4 and NO ONE goes to class and all for P/F classes. I sit in class and get taught the SAME thing over and over- it is such a waste of time. The school needs to progress and become Systems based like EVERY other MD school.

I would heavily considered going somewhere else unless you live in the NYC area. I am hoping that once I get to clinic all of this will be worth it to be able to see all the patients in the clinic in the NYC area.

As a current student, I would not come back to NYCPM knowing what I know now. At first, I actually liked the attendance policy, but in 2nd year its just silly. I am increasingly annoyed at the professors and the faculty. There are so many unprofessional people working in Pre-Clinical and Clinical sciences. The environment has become so negative between everyone in our class (2018), all anyone does is complain. I am so unhappy with my choice to come here, although I have never been to any other podiatry school so I cannot compare, maybe they are all bad.

But the curriculum is so repetitive and second year you are in class from 8-5/6 and have multiple exams in a week. I have friends at MD schools that have class from 10-4 and NO ONE goes to class and all for P/F classes. I sit in class and get taught the SAME thing over and over- it is such a waste of time. The school needs to progress and become Systems based like EVERY other MD school.

I would heavily considered going somewhere else unless you live in the NYC area. I am hoping that once I get to clinic all of this will be worth it to be able to see all the patients in the clinic in the NYC area.

Please try to keep in mind that while you are graded throughout your time in podiatry school, your specialization and residency placement/options do not rely on 2 standardized board exams which are graded. Our board exams are P/F which take a lot of pressure off. I hope once you hit third year you gain a better perspective, and begin to appreciate this aspect of podiatric medical programs. It is unfortunate that you are having a horrible experience at NYCPM, the program certainly is not for every one. However there are plenty of sources to reach out to between the admissions office, tutoring, student government, etc.

Please try to keep in mind that while you are graded throughout your time in podiatry school, your specialization and residency placement/options do not rely on 2 standardized board exams which are graded. Our board exams are P/F which take a lot of pressure off. I hope once you hit third year you gain a better perspective, and begin to appreciate this aspect of podiatric medical programs. It is unfortunate that you are having a horrible experience at NYCPM, the program certainly is not for every one. However there are plenty of sources to reach out to between the admissions office, tutoring, student government, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Can someone please talk about their experience at The Bridges? Are the prices reasonable for the spaces provided? Singles vs Deluxe Singles? Any feedback would be appreciated!

To be honest, the other guy you are replying to is correct. This place is the worst and treats the students like cattle, or kindergarteners. For instance: one of the professors today freaked out about pencils in exams and now admin will no longer be providing them.. Sounds petty but when you look at the big picture of providing a good experience for the students a 2c pencil is easy compared to other examples like
"not tricking students by taking an attendance at 7:47am for a class scheduled at 8 in order to catch a few slipping" or
"taking exam questions from a question bank that covers topics unbeknownst to the students and rejecting their objections" or
"refusing students excused absences for good friday(wrong) but letting jewish and Muslim students have excuse (right)" or
"lying to students about the success of a failing clinic financially and in general numbers" or
"deciding this year that attendance quizzes count in your grade and making them so hard you needed the night before to study regardless you also had a 4 credit test the next day" or
"saying the bridges or the heritage is a good place to live" or
"Making this place so fkd that the students abandon academic competition and help each other the same way POWs become life long friends" or

I honestly hope this place closes it's doors.
None of us will be back as alumn.
Any refute to these topics listed are from lisa lee or pam adrian, recruitment admin..

Good luck in Ohio, Az, CA, PA, IA, and FL future pods. If you come here for an interview look deep into the eyes of the students showing (not paid, but receiving a mark on their CV) you around and you'll see a flicker of something..a slight glimpse of something deep that seems to say "run, you fools.."

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
To be honest, the other guy you are replying to is correct. This place is the worst and treats the students like cattle, or kindergarteners. For instance: one of the professors today freaked out about pencils in exams and now admin will no longer be providing them.. Sounds petty but when you look at the big picture of providing a good experience for the students a 2c pencil is easy compared to other examples like
"not tricking students by taking an attendance at 7:47am for a class scheduled at 8 in order to catch a few slipping" or
"taking exam questions from a question bank that covers topics unbeknownst to the students and rejecting their objections" or
"refusing students excused absences for good friday(wrong) but letting jewish and Muslim students have excuse (right)" or
"lying to students about the success of a failing clinic financially and in general numbers" or
"deciding this year that attendance quizzes count in your grade and making them so hard you needed the night before to study regardless you also had a 4 credit test the next day" or
"Making this place so fkd that the students abandon academic competition and help each other the same way POWs become life long friends" or

... As a matter of fact I'll make a list of all my grievances, and post it, this was just in the last few weeks.

Any refute to these topics listed are from lisa lee or pam adrian, recruitment admin..

Good luck in Ohio, Az, CA, PA, IA, and FL future pods. If you come here for an interview look deep into the eyes of the students paid to show you around and you'll see a flicker of something..a slight glimpse of something deep that seems to say "run, you fools.."

I would like to first off let you know that NYCPM administration, while generally aware of Student Doctor Network forums, do not post and are not active members of the website.

Secondly, as a graduating senior I can whole-heartedly credit the school with educating and preparing me to get a competitive out-of-state residency position. Was my experience perfect? Absolutely not. Were there things I would change? Absolutely. But this goes with any experience and any community I have been a part of. In general, I feel grateful to have been taught by so many incredible attendings who are so eager to teach you. I feel even more grateful for the friends I have made along the way, some classmates who I consider as close as family.
I may be wrong, but I believe those who are currently complaining about the school policies are in the class of 2018. They have not yet taken Boards Part I and have not yet begun clinical rotations, and so are still relatively naive. I strongly believe that once they reach their 3rd and 4th year, they will gain a better appreciation for the discipline we are taught and for the higher standard that we were held to at NYCPM. In addition, I am genuinely sorry to have to consider these 2 commentators future colleagues, and hope that their negativity does not carry into a clinical setting.

There are entire threads on SDN devoted to students stating why they 'hate' their medical school, with reasons both ridiculous and legitimate. No institution is without flaws. I won't comment on the above posts, which is not to say I am dismissing them (some are fair points), but I want prospective and current students to understand the following: This is medical school. There is no one forcing students to be present, regardless of any attendance policies. As the previous individual stated, the program and curriculum is vigorous, demanding almost to the point of being brutal, and absolutely not for everyone. Yet, we make it out in one piece. I urge students to get involved in leadership roles at school and our profession, if not to change certain policies that would make theirs and future students lives easier, then simply keeping your mind busy with something other than the hard sciences. I can promise you that students have taken this on in the past to much success.

Wait until you get into your clinical years and clerkship months. You'll come to realize very quickly how everything you have done and went through was undeniably worth the effort. Your knowledge and handling of cases puts you on par with any podiatry student in the country, and residency directors notice that, and reward that. You can trust me on this or simply get through the mud and experience it for yourself. There is an end to everything, and for better or for worse, NYCPM is a brief rite of passage that will go by in an instant, and accumulate into a fantastic 20+ year career.

Every podiatry school including NYCPM will meet you significantly more than halfway to provide you with the knowledge and ability to to provide quality patient care. The rest of the way is up to you.

Reactions: 1 users
I would like to first off let you know that NYCPM administration, while generally aware of Student Doctor Network forums, do not post and are not active members of the website.

Secondly, as a graduating senior I can whole-heartedly credit the school with educating and preparing me to get a competitive out-of-state residency position. Was my experience perfect? Absolutely not. Were there things I would change? Absolutely. But this goes with any experience and any community I have been a part of. In general, I feel grateful to have been taught by so many incredible attendings who are so eager to teach you. I feel even more grateful for the friends I have made along the way, some classmates who I consider as close as family.
I may be wrong, but I believe those who are currently complaining about the school policies are in the class of 2018. They have not yet taken Boards Part I and have not yet begun clinical rotations, and so are still relatively naive. I strongly believe that once they reach their 3rd and 4th year, they will gain a better appreciation for the discipline we are taught and for the higher standard that we were held to at NYCPM. In addition, I am genuinely sorry to have to consider these 2 commentators future colleagues, and hope that their negativity does not carry into a clinical setting.

Last edited:
There are entire threads on SDN devoted to students stating why they 'hate' their medical school, with reasons both ridiculous and legitimate. No institution is without flaws. I won't comment on the above posts, which is not to say I am dismissing them (some are fair points), but I want prospective and current students to understand the following: This is medical school. There is no one forcing students to be present, regardless of any attendance policies. As the previous individual stated, the program and curriculum is vigorous, demanding almost to the point of being brutal, and absolutely not for everyone. Yet, we make it out in one piece. I urge students to get involved in leadership roles at school and our profession, if not to change certain policies that would make theirs and future students lives easier, then simply keeping your mind busy with something other than the hard sciences. I can promise you that students have taken this on in the past to much success.

Wait until you get into your clinical years and clerkship months. You'll come to realize very quickly how everything you have done and went through was undeniably worth the effort. Your knowledge and handling of cases puts you on par with any podiatry student in the country, and residency directors notice that, and reward that. You can trust me on this or simply get through the mud and experience it for yourself. There is an end to everything, and for better or for worse, NYCPM is a brief rite of passage that will go by in an instant, and accumulate into a fantastic 20+ year career.

Every podiatry school including NYCPM will meet you significantly more than halfway to provide you with the knowledge and ability to to provide quality patient care. The rest of the way is up to you.

Last edited:

Thank you for your reply and for reminding us all that there is a bright light at the end of the podiatry tunnel.
I believe you are correct stating that some of the complaints are coming from the class of 2018 who, not to defend their posts, are going through the most difficult semester at NYCPM (semester 4). However, I am fully aware that the class of 2019 is having multiple issues with the school, but are working diligently with administrators to make changes. That being said, it is great to hear your perspective as a 4th year student that things do get better and that it has all been worth it because you are well prepared for residency! I am from Chicago and would love to end up in a residency there so it is great to know that our education prepares us well for out-of-state residencies.

To those considering NYCPM: please know that NYCPM has its issues, just like ANY other undergraduate/graduate/medical/podiatry school. However, all of my experiences so far have been that bringing complaints and suggestions to administration in a professional manner has yielded great results. It is my belief that the first two years of NYCPM are extremely difficult, and for good reason:to prepare us for rotations&presidency. I've spoken with a few third and fourth years and they rave about how well prepared they are during rotations and clerkships. I have no doubt that the experience of the first two years, no matter how challenging, are worth it in the end because of the exposure and experience we gain at FCNY and the rotations in NYC.

I'm looking forward to completing boards and getting into clinic, I've heard great things. :)

wow the two of you seem very very stressed out.

relax.

I just want to add, every school has its pros and cons. Some of the things you guys mentioned about NYCPM are true and yes they're ridiculous I agree 100% and that's life. BUT at the end of the day, none of that really matters. Trust me I've been there. One thing NYCPM does well is giving us the basic tools that we need to succeed as we move forward. They'll provide you with the blueprint, you will have to put it together. Make the best of what you're given and if you can do that then you'll succeed anywhere you go. Stop focusing on how sh**y the school is and start focusing on how you can make your time worthwhile.

NYCPM isn't THAT bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Can someone please talk about their experience at The Bridges? Are the prices reasonable for the spaces provided? Singles vs Deluxe Singles? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Not a lot of people are happy with the bridges. There are pros and cons though. I personally think the rooms cost too much considering their small size, the amount of loan money we're awarded, and the prices of other apartments in the area. They actually did a survey during the fall semester and the cost was the biggest complaint. Despite the fact the building is only six years old it seems like there's always something going wrong, at least in my room. When I first moved in they weren't even finished cleaning the place and had left a bunch of tools on my bathroom counter. We didn't have our dishwasher installed for about the first month of us being there and when they finally installed it it sprung a leak and flooded our kitchen. Just last weekend the radiators in two units had pipes burst and flood the apartments (mine included). Yesterday morning water started to drip from the vent in our bathroom, I don't think they ever figured out why. There are two RAs and the housing director lives in the building which some people are unhappy with because it makes them feel like they're being babysat at too old of an age for it to be necessary. If you go for the bridges do it because you'll always have someone to study with and/or you are new to the NY area and don't want to deal with hunting for apartments. Most students I've talked to (myself included) plan on moving out as soon as the lease is up, which unfortunately means moving in the middle of third semester.

... As a matter of fact I'll make a list of all my grievances, and post it, this was just in the last few weeks.

Good luck in Ohio, Az, CA, PA, IA, and FL future pods. If you come here for an interview look deep into the eyes of the students paid to show you around and you'll see a flicker of something..a slight glimpse of something deep that seems to say "run, you fools.."

I do think that this school has many things that need to change, but slow small changes happen as students discuss it with Admin. Some people are more difficult than others to approach, but students reading this would do well to take most things with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
First off, I want to agree with the other poster here to apologize...

Whereas the class of 2019 is not in clinic yet, I will have to take all the above (multiple) poster's testimonies for the quality of the training and mentoring we will receive. Quite obviously the administration is NOT each individual professor, nor does it fall solely on one person's lap... This is an institutional problem. That being said, it does not excuse some of the treatment and the general discord witnessed in the pre-clinical setting. Everyone with any depth of research will find articles from parents, Dr. eckles/Markinson (2013 PM news for those who care), and others addressing the myth/truth that these schools make it intentionally harder to 'weed out' a few before placement/ or even clinic (another rumor being there's not enough room in clinic for the hundo they let in). It must also be stated (strictly judging by the posted placements of the past 3 years) that NYCPM does indeed have great residency placement IN NY. To many that is a good thing, to others California seems like a longshot. We have physically heard Dr. Chusid, Barbosa, and others say "This average for the exam is too high. More people should have failed. This will not happen again."

In order to address the 'bitching' allegations that both the lower years seem to hear quite often... How would you see us handle what we see as injustice? We all came to this school wishing to be of use to the health field, many of us intentionally for podiatry and the people it will help. NOW it seems that most of us have lost the zeal for the profession because of the landmines laid by our school. It may cut our own throats to complain, but maybe we can pave a better road for the next years (IE: multiple choice anatomy exams, monitored AC/heaters during exams, addressing the mistakes in electronic grading that brought everyone's grade down 10% for an exam, ya know.. the little stuff).
Obviously for the upperclassmen the policies were too much to handle as well. So much so that there was a giant cheating/attendance scandal that rattled the dean's list like a biochemistry exam. In agreement, there are some that complain about small things too often or about large things too rudely... but at some point We are all paying 47k a year to be forced to sit idly by while the school entertains its own interests.

Take all this as you may, and you may even be angered by the dissent, but this is not how a school should be preparing students to enter our profession.

Whereas the class of 2019 is not in clinic yet, I will have to take all the above (multiple) poster's testimonies for the quality of the training and mentoring we will receive. Quite obviously the administration is NOT each individual professor, nor does it fall solely on one person's lap... This is an institutional problem. That being said, it does not excuse some of the treatment and the general discord witnessed in the pre-clinical setting. Everyone with any depth of research will find articles from parents, Dr. eckles/Markinson (2013 PM news for those who care), and others addressing the myth/truth that these schools make it intentionally harder to 'weed out' a few before placement/ or even clinic (another rumor being there's not enough room in clinic for the hundo they let in). It must also be stated (strictly judging by the posted placements of the past 3 years) that NYCPM does indeed have great residency placement IN NY. To many that is a good thing, to others California seems like a longshot. We have physically heard Dr. Chusid, Barbosa, and others say "This average for the exam is too high. More people should have failed. This will not happen again."

In order to address the 'bitching' allegations that both the lower years seem to hear quite often... How would you see us handle what we see as injustice? We all came to this school wishing to be of use to the health field, many of us intentionally for podiatry and the people it will help. NOW it seems that most of us have lost the zeal for the profession because of the landmines laid by our school. It may cut our own throats to complain, but maybe we can pave a better road for the next years (IE: multiple choice anatomy exams, monitored AC/heaters during exams, addressing the mistakes in electronic grading that brought everyone's grade down 10% for an exam, ya know.. the little stuff).
Obviously for the upperclassmen the policies were too much to handle as well. So much so that there was a giant cheating/attendance scandal that rattled the dean's list like a biochemistry exam. In agreement, there are some that complain about small things too often or about large things too rudely... but at some point We are all paying 47k a year to be forced to sit idly by while the school entertains its own interests.

Take all this as you may, and you may even be angered by the dissent, but this is not how a school should be preparing students to enter our profession.

Agreed on everything about the way they treat their students. I just wanted to pooint out that there are a few discrepancies with what the previous poster said, otherwise i have witnessed many of the things you just stated and agree. Its totally unnecessary and is hurting the students zeal for entering and giving back to the profession.

hello, just received my interview invite! was wondering if anyone had any pointers on how to prepare.
Thanks!

Do I have a chance? I haven't taken the MCAT yet. English is my second language so I feel that Verbal section will be quite difficult for me.
But Undergrad GPA: 3.2
Masters in Bacteriology GPA: 3.13
Second Masters GPA: 3.4
I have 100 hours of hospital / clinic volunteer work.
and 50 hours of Dentist shadowing. I am planning to shadow podiatrists.

hello, just received my interview invite! was wondering if anyone had any pointers on how to prepare.
Thanks!
Hi prepodchi,

Congratulations on receiving your interview invitation!
I remember the interview day was pretty relaxing, and it's a great opportunity to get close and see the school and interact with students, faculty, doctors, etc.
Questions they ask during the interviews are pretty fair and straight forward so I would not worry too much.
I would just say to be yourself, answer honestly but most importantly, enjoy the day!
Good luck!

Do I have a chance?

I would definitely shadow podiatrists to get a better idea of what podiatrists do.
According to the NYCPM website, "The average incoming first year student has a a 3.3 Science GPA, 3.4 Cumulative GPA and an overall MCAT score of 24."
I hope this helps!

What's the minority scene like at NYCPM? I take it, being based in NYC, it will be more diverse than the schools deep west? I'm particularly interested in AAs. In your class how many AAs are there?

If one wanted to commute to the school from the other 4 boroughs, would it be a good idea? Or should you just get an apartment in Manhattan close to the school?
I live in Staten Island.

Any dress code requirements?

Any assistance from the school for metro cards?

Is a class rank system employed or do they follow Yale's approach of not ranking students?

Will add more later

What's the minority scene like at NYCPM? I take it, being based in NYC, it will be more diverse than the schools deep west? I'm particularly interested in AAs. In your class how many AAs are there?

If one wanted to commute to the school from the other 4 boroughs, would it be a good idea? Or should you just get an apartment in Manhattan close to the school?
I live in Staten Island.

Is a class rank system employed or do they follow Yale's approach of not ranking students?

Will add more later

NYCPM is probably the most diverse community I've ever been in. There are, however, not a huge amount of blacks. I'm one of five in my class of 98. It's not really an issue for anyone though everyone is very accepting and nice no matter where you come from. But the place is in Harlem after all and a lot of the employees are local so there's that.

I personally would never commute because I think it would cut into the time I have for studying, but there are quite a few students who do some up to an hour and a half each way.

Edit to add - the school probably won't help with transportation costs and they do have a class rank, they just don't release them til the end of the second semester.

Last edited:

I live in Staten Island.

Will add more later

I am a commuter from NYCPM. I live in queens and my commute is 30 minutes and I have not felt it has negatively impacted my studies. We actually have students from S.I. some tried to commute and realized it was too much then moved closer. Some however, are still commuting. It is possible to still stay at home, you would be saving a lot of money. I guess I would say is it all depends on willingness.

And no, no dress code =]

HI.

I got accepted for the september 2020 Class.

Could any of the current students post the snapshot/ list for the detailed schedule for semesters 1-4?

Also is there the Facebook page for class of '20?

Thanks and looking forward meeting my classmates.

HI.

I got accepted for the september 2020 Class.

Could any of the current students post the snapshot/ list for the detailed schedule for semesters 1-4?

Also is there the Facebook page for class of '20?

Thanks and looking forward meeting my classmates.

Well first of congratulations! Here is the fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/423821537809144/. This group is run my admissions there is another one run by students only. I will try and message you a screen shot of first semester classes! Again congrats and best of luck hope to see you around!

gap 3.3 and spa 3.2, how competitive is this score for NYCPM? Haven't taken MCAT but what will I need at least to get on MCAT?