NYCPM: Ask Current Students Anything!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi there, I have a question regarding Accident and sickness insurance provided by NYCPM. Is dental insurance also included in this or does one have to purchase it privately/separately. Also, does the Accident and sickness insurance meet the Obamacare requirements? Thank you!!!

The Affordable Care Act (ACA – aka, Obamacare) no longer allows the old accident and sickness policies to pass as creditable health insurance. NYCPM insurance actually exceeds the minimum requirements for the ACA. Dental is not covered.

Does the university have any way that you can talk to other incoming students about maybe sharing an apartment? That would seem to be the most economical means for finding housing. Any current students who were new to NYC before attending NYCPM...how was the housing hunt for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just found out that student housing isn't dog friendly :( , do any current students know of any places in a safe area that allow a small dog?

Does the university have any way that you can talk to other incoming students about maybe sharing an apartment? That would seem to be the most economical means for finding housing. Any current students who were new to NYC before attending NYCPM...how was the housing hunt for you?

I lived in NJ before so I wasn't completely new to the city. I didn't wanna live the heritage. I found a studio apartment through a broker in the bronx. I wouldn't recommend going through broker if you live close to the city. If you don't live near the city, you can go through broker. I think by January, Ms.Lee would open a Facebook page for an incoming class where you can talk to incoming students about sharing an apartment.

So I just got accepted to NYCPM!!!!! I was wondering if there was blood work/criminal record/drug test/tb test I needed to fill out before matriculating. Thanks!

I lived in NJ before so I wasn't completely new to the city. I didn't wanna live the heritage. I found a studio apartment through a broker in the bronx. I wouldn't recommend going through broker if you live close to the city. If you don't live near the city, you can go through broker. I think by January, Ms.Lee would open a Facebook page for an incoming class where you can talk to incoming students about sharing an apartment.
do u know of any pet friendly places to live (small dog) in a safe area not tooooo far away from the campus?

Hey everyone,

Now that the 2017 application cycle has opened up, I'm sure there are a lot of lurkers out there browsing the forums to learn more about the different podiatry schools. I'm a 2nd year student and there will also be a 3rd year student available to answer your questions about NYCPM!

In this thread, you can ask about anything you want to know about NYCPM. Hopefully we will be able to provide you with information that you can't find by simply reading brochures or the college website (www.nycpm.edu).

Our goal is to give you honest and objective answers.

Feel free to ask away!
do u know of any pet friendly places to live (small dog) in a safe area not tooooo far away from the campus? Also, how many people are in your class and the female/male ratio by chance? Do y'all receive curves, and do you know or know of where I could find the board pass and residency rates? Thanks!

Hey y'all I got into NYCPM but I'm having trouble deciding between here and Temple. Care to share your reason for choosing NYCPM?

Hey y'all I got into NYCPM but I'm having trouble deciding between here and Temple. Care to share your reason for choosing NYCPM?

I ended up choosing NYCPM because it seemed to have similar offerings compared to Temple as far as having a clinic, seeing a large patient pool, being in a big city (thus diverse pathologies) but there were more pros for NY for me. One being that the scholarship you get at Temple is only for the first year whereas NY's is renewable as long as you keep the min. GPA. Also, the clinic at NY seemed much busier and I know just statistically they see the most patients out of any of the pod schools. Not to mention their board pass rates/residency placement--the decision became easy. But honestly, it's mostly where you feel you "fit" the most--I felt like Temple was trying to sell themselves a little too much and I felt like they were basically begging us to go there whereas NY just showed us what they had to offer and the students that I saw seemed to enjoy it. Good luck with your decision!

Hey is there a particular bank that most students use at NYCPM? Is there any atm located inside the schoolI? If anyone could advise a good bank to use that is conveniently located close/in NYCPM that would be very helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey is there a particular bank that most students use at NYCPM? Is there any atm located inside the schoolI? If anyone could advise a good bank to use that is conveniently located close/in NYCPM that would be very helpful. Thanks!

This implies you will have money... don't let the school know!

Question for current students: I got an iPad Mini on Black Friday because I figured I might save some money since it's required at NYCPM but now I'm wondering if they just give you a NYCPM iPad at orientation and it's just included. I was hoping it would be something that you could opt-out of and the cost would be deducted from your fees since a good amount of students already have iPads. Any insight? I'm going to call later but was just wondering if anyone on here knew.

So if you opt out of the ipad mini and have your own they give you back the cost of the ipad mini? Also is the one given to you at orientation the latest ipad mini 3 with retina display? or is just the ipad mini 1 that cost $250? Thanks.

Yeah, there's no opt out. I just ended up with 2 iPad minis. They give you the iPad's with school specific software on it.

Does anyone have a rough school supply list we should have before coming to school?

I've decided that I will most likely not be living in the on-campus apartments, mostly because for the same cost I could live in a better area of NY and it's not super important for me to live right by campus. Any suggestions from current students? Sites to find apartments? Ideal locations (and how long it usually takes you to get to class if you lived off campus)? Best time to start looking if I'll be starting in the fall? Any other students not live on campus first year? Any input is appreciated! :)

I'm going to be starting in January and got my "welcome packet" today. For housing, the Bridges is the building name and it's located on 124th and 3rd.
There's single($1575/month), deluxes singles($1680/month) and double shared (1250/month) and it all includes utilities. It has a gym, game room, study room, and laundry room.
I'm from Long Island and was planning to live in the bridges but the rent seems pretty steep...I lived in Brooklyn for undergrad and my rent wasn't this high, so I'm looking around at apartments in East Harlem as well.

Side note: If any girls are starting NYCPM in January, message me :0)

Hope that helps!

NYCPM '19! WOO!!
Hey! I am starting in January, too. I have applied for housing at the Bridges but haven't signed any contracts. Are you still looking for other apartments?

Interviewed already and patiently waiting for the decision on 1/7! ah! lol

I will be starting in the fall 2015, so few questions:

Question #1: How does school shuttle works? Where does it take you? What is the farthest point it can go?
Question #2: Will it be waste of time to live 35-40 minutes from school, or should I chose something closer?
Question #3: Are all boors electronic or some people get hard copy book. Any cons pros of having only electronic books?
Question #4: How much is a meal plan? Or one meal at school?

Thanx!

I will be starting in the fall 2015, so few questions:

Question #1: How does school shuttle works? Where does it take you? What is the farthest point it can go?
Question #2: Will it be waste of time to live 35-40 minutes from school, or should I chose something closer?
Question #3: Are all boors electronic or some people get hard copy book. Any cons pros of having only electronic books?
Question #4: How much is a meal plan? Or one meal at school?

Thanx!

1. The Shuttle (totally free) leaves NYCPM at 6:30, 9:30, and 11:00 pm and takes you down as far as 85th street (the school is on 124th). It is a great way for students to get back home who study late in the college.
2. There are students who live all around NYC, and many from Jersey as well. Some students take almost 2 hours to commute. If you are efficient, you can pull out the provided iPad and go over lectures during the commute, or skim through some required readings. I live fairly close to the school, but I would go with the cheapest alternative since the rent adds up.
3. I personally have my books as PDF's on my iPad, but some students still have hard copies. Both ways work. eBooks may be hard to use if you're used to physically highlighting and writing inside the pages, but I do that now, with practice, on PDF's.
4. The school has a new food service provider starting this year, and I don't believe the meal plan is quite set up yet. Last year the meal plan was around $650 for the semester, and the estimated $7 for breakfast/lunch/unlimited drinks and coffee was a much cheaper alternative for students who went out to eat every lunch.

Thanks a lot! Another question:

- During lectures how people take notes? Typing or handwriting?
- Are slides available before the class begins?
- Will notes be available online? ( in Temple they said someone takes notes and put them online right after class)
- Could I get notes from lectures from upper class-men?
- I am thinking on taking typing course. Will it be helpful?

Thanks a lot! Another question:

- During lectures how people take notes? Typing or handwriting?
- Are slides available before the class begins?
- Will notes be available online? ( in Temple they said someone takes notes and put them online right after class)
- Could I get notes from lectures from upper class-men?
- I am thinking on taking typing course. Will it be helpful?

1. During lectures, almost everyone either takes notes on their laptop or iPad. There is too much information to take down with handwriting, although some students do (especially with a stylus and iPad.)
2. Slides are always available before class starts (1% of the time they are not, and are put up shortly after)
3. The school hires scribes (students) to type up notes for the big classes, and everything is video captured.
4. There are outlines that are passed down for some classes, some students find them useful, others trust their own notes.
5. yes.

Hi current students,

I'm wondering if it is too late to apply now ( or within a month because I still have to get recs and application in) for the September 2015 start? Are there still spots left? How about for the January 2016 start date? Also, will there be less financial aid/scholarships for students who apply late? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Hi current students,

I'm wondering if it is too late to apply now ( or within a month because I still have to get recs and application in) for the September 2015 start? Are there still spots left? How about for the January 2016 start date? Also, will there be less financial aid/scholarships for students who apply late? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Hi justarandom,

It is not too late to apply now or within a month, I know people who applied in May and got accepted; there should be spots left. It isn't too late to apply for Sept 2015 start and certainly not late for January 2016. I see students interviewing just about every other day and it should go all the way to June-ish.
Financial aid should not be affected. Not sure about scholarships,
Hope this helps!

thanks for the quick reply! out of curiosity, which year student are you?

also do you recommend the January start over the September start since the coursework is spread out over 4.5 years? Or is September better, since you can graduate a year ahead?

also do you recommend the January start over the September start since the coursework is spread out over 4.5 years? Or is September better, since you can graduate a year ahead?

You're welcome. And I'm a first year student.
In my personal opinion, January students have tremendous advantage over September students all the way up to 4th semester. (January students take 1 less course than September students in 1st semester, 2nd semester and 3rd semester which is significant. (In other words, January students take 3 classes from January to August before September students start).
Pros of being a January student is what I mentioned above and tuition is prorated so you don't pay more than September students. But depends on where you live, you have to pay rent, etc for 8 months unless you commute, of course.
Downside of being a January student is you are in school for 4 years and 8 months (depends on you, you can see it as "only 8 more months" or "8 more long months of school")
Having said that, if I could get things together to apply in time, I would do that and just start in September 2015 and graduate a year early.

Last edited:

Unless you have a very good reason to do a decelerated program such as having children, dual degree, or being non-trad, I think finishing school earlier is better.

Hello all,

I am a NYC resident. I am 28 years old. I have all my prehealth requirements, a 24 on my MCAT 3.6+ science gpa, and am full time employed. My overall GPA is between a 3.3-3.4 due to my awful grades back in 2005 when I first went into college. I have one blemish from that time where I withdrew from a class when I went to hunter college (biology) where the withdrawal shows that I was on track to get a d or an f but doesn't have a grade nor does it get averaged into my gpa. I want to apply to NYCPM right now and working on my application. I currently have a full prehealth packet from my old school (buffalo SUNY) which was set up for medical school. I have a vast amount of fantastic letters from heads of research, doctors (md) and employers, as well as two from professors (chemistry and physics). The prehealth committee will be doing an addendum for me to aim myself for Podiatry, but will not have it complete till mid may due to policy. In the past I have done a lot of medical volunteering, research and shadowing. I even have gotten my name on a poster presentation for the American Pediatric Association symposium for the research I helped in. Total hours are close to around 500. I will have two letters and more shadowing time with podiatrists (to add to my other hours). I very well may be shadowing and getting a third. I will be attending an exploratory visit this month and the april fourth open house.

I am asking all of you NYCPM students what you think my chances are for getting in for september 2015? I only want to go to NYCPM. I don't fully know when the application cycle opened. I know that the cut off date for applications is June 30th, but according to my prehealth advisor... my chances are slim-to-none for september admittance. I will also apply for January acceptance as well, if I do not make it for September, but I am hoping I do. Anything you could suggest to improve my chances?

Thank you for your time and I hope I am lucky enough to be counted as a future colleague of yours.

Jeff

Last edited:
Hello all,

I am a NYC resident. I am 28 years old. I have all my prehealth requirements, a 24 on my MCAT and am full time employed. I plan to apply to NYCPM right now and working on my application. I currently have a full prehealth packet from my old school (buffalo SUNY) which was set up for medical school. I have a vast amount of fantastic letters from heads of research, doctors (md) and employers, as well as two from professors (chemistry and physics). The prehealth committee will be doing an addendum for me to aim myself for Podiatry, but will not have it complete till mid may due to policy. In the past I have done a lot of medical volunteering, research and shadowing. I even have gotten my name on a poster presentation for the American Pediatric Association symposium for the research I helped in. Total hours are close to around 500. I will have two letters and more shadowing time with podiatrists (to add to my other hours). I very well may be shadowing and getting a third. I will be attending an exploratory visit this month and the april fourth open house.

I am asking all of you NYCPM students what you think my chances are for getting in for september 2015? I only want to go to NYCPM. I don't fully know when the application cycle opened. I know that the cut off date for applications is June 30th, but according to my prehealth advisor... my chances are slim-to-none for september admittance. I will also apply for January acceptance as well, if I do not make it for September, but I am hoping I do. Anything you could suggest to improve my chances?

Thank you for your time and I hope I am lucky enough to be counted as a future colleague of yours.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I do not agree with your pre-health adviser on your chance being slim to none for September admittance. There are still seats, I see students interviewing every other day and I personally know someone who applied in May and got accepted.
I would say keep doing what you're doing; shadowing, volunteering, researching, those things only add to your resume and definitely have letters from podiatrists to complete your application and have it ready to apply by when you get the addendum in Mid-May.
Good luck.

Thank you immensely for your response. I will probably submit my application sooner than that and have the letters sent after. I will discuss this with the admissions counselor on my exploratory visit to your campus. I am lucky enough to be shadowing an alumni of your school who is an attending, runs his own practices and does surgeries very frequently. He even is going to let me view one!

This reply brings me hope. Thank you again.

Hi all,

I am interested in applying for the NYCPM. I have a question about the maximum scholarship of NYCPM offered for incoming student. Do you know what the amount is?

Hi guys, I got a quick question regarding the academic portion of NYCPM.

To my understanding, the classes are NOT curved; rather, it has a percentage/ letter grade system:
93-100% = A ==> 4.0
90-92% = A- ==> 3.67
87-89%= B+ ==> 3.33
etc...

Benefit of this system allow students to help each other out. Conversely, you will have to study like there is no tomorrow to get an A
So we all know the dream of medical school is to achieve a 4.0.

How practical is it to achieve such an A/ A- in NYCPM?
Don't get me wrong, I don't imagine med school to be a cakewalk and hand out A's like Oprah.
I intend to bust my ass to earn the grade.

However, I talked to some students during my NYCPM interview.
Quite a few of them express how they wish the grading system is curved...

I would love current/ alumni NYCPM students to chime in.
Thanks!

Hi guys, I got a quick question regarding the academic portion of NYCPM.

To my understanding, the classes are NOT curved; rather, it has a percentage/ letter grade system:
93-100% = A ==> 4.0
90-92% = A- ==> 3.67
87-89%= B+ ==> 3.33
etc...

Benefit of this system allow students to help each other out. Conversely, you will have to study like there is no tomorrow to get an A
So we all know the dream of medical school is to achieve a 4.0.

How practical is it to achieve such an A/ A- in NYCPM?
Don't get me wrong, I don't imagine med school to be a cakewalk and hand out A's like Oprah.
I intend to bust my ass to earn the grade.

However, I talked to some students during my NYCPM interview.
Quite a few of them express how they wish the grading system is curved...

I would love current/ alumni NYCPM students to chime in.
Thanks!

Hello,

You are right, classes at NYCPM are not curved. I have not had an issue with the current system and I actually think it is good thing that classes don't get curved. Average grade on exams are consistently in low 80s which is what the average would be anyway, if classes were curved.
However, after exams, some questions are thrown out if unfair and written poorly or sometimes they accept multiple answers and those have similar effect as a curve according to some professors.
Last school year, there were 16 1st-year students with GPA above 3.5 and there were 19 2nd-year students with GPA above 3.5 and each class has about ~95 students.
I hope this helps. Do come with the intention to bust your rear and earn the grade and you will be fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all,

I am interested in applying for the NYCPM. I have a question about the maximum scholarship of NYCPM offered for incoming student. Do you know what the amount is?

Hello,
To my knowledge, annual merit based scholarship is 4k to 10k. But I know some students are on half-tuition scholarship. I do not believe NYCPM offers full scholarship to my knowledge.
You can contact admissions and find out if you'd like. Hope this helps!

Hello,
To my knowledge, annual merit based scholarship is 4k to 10k. But I know some students are on half-tuition scholarship. I do not believe NYCPM offers full scholarship to my knowledge.
You can contact admissions and find out if you'd like. Hope this helps!
Thank you!

Is there a summer pre-matriculation program available to incoming students?

What kind of student resource center does NYCPM have? I've seen some schools have places where students are given aptitude tests and advice on improving study habits. Does NYCPM have anything like this?

What kind of student resource center does NYCPM have? I've seen some schools have places where students are given aptitude tests and advice on improving study habits. Does NYCPM have anything like this?

NYCPM does host talks occasionally about study habits and methods for success through school, but the most valuable resource in that aspect has to be the student tutors. There are upperclassmen tutoring almost all subjects free of charge (they get paid through the school), and help students understand what to focus on, and improve study methods in general. Of course, professors always have an open door to listen to students' needs as well.

Just wondering, does NYCPM have a policy against tattoos and piercings? For instance, I have a nose piercing, a few ear piercings, and a small wrist tattoo, will this be an issue if I choose to attend NYCPM?