NYCPM: Ask Current Students Anything!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys,

I know in the interview they said that getting student housing at the heritage isn't necessarily guaranteed...for those 1st/2nd years would you guys say you didn't have a hard time getting a spot in the heritage? I was recently accepted and am wondering if it's "late" right now to try to get the student housing accommodations.

thanks for any input!

You might be a bit late but you never know. To be honest though, living at the heritage isn't really that great so if you end up not getting it, its not a big loss.
Some complaints are that it can be pretty noisy because the train runs right outside so if you are facing that side. Also, there was bedbugs last fall and all they did was give us bedbug resistant sheets and pillow cases....

I know several of the 1st years are planning on moving out as soon as their lease is up.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I know in the interview they said that getting student housing at the heritage isn't necessarily guaranteed...for those 1st/2nd years would you guys say you didn't have a hard time getting a spot in the heritage? I was recently accepted and am wondering if it's "late" right now to try to get the student housing accommodations.

thanks for any input!

It is a little late in the cycle, but the school has been opening up more apartments at the heritage for students to live in as the interest/demand opens up. You will find out sometime in the summer if you have an apartment in the heritage. In all fairness, you can really only find an apartment to move into about a month or a month and a half in advance because of the way the turn-around works in the city.
I live in the heritage and will continue to do so for my third year next year. I find my apartment to be clean and comfortable, and being so close to the park and the school is a wonderful thing. A lot of students live in the heritage so it is a great way to meet people, and the shuttle will drop you off there late at night. I actually happen to sleep on the train side, you get used to city noises in general so don't let that deter you. Definitely apply for housing if that would be easiest for you and go from there.

& Congrats on your recent acceptance!

Thanks for both of your responses. Yeah I'm really hoping that I can secure a spot at the heritage bc my family feels comfortable with it being affiliated with the school and all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where/when do we get book lists for fall?

Where/when do we get book lists for fall?

You will receive an e-mail that will direct you to the Columbia book store some time in late July / early August. In my opinion you don't actually need any of the textbooks for first semester except for (maybe) the histology lab book. Plus the library always has a copy on hand. However, if you are just the type of person who likes to own hard covers upper year students are always looking to sell them so check out the NYCPM student exchange facebook page or your class facebook page.

Hey everyone,

I was looking at the NYCPM curriculum and was wondering if any students clarify what the differences are between the externships you do during the third year course listings and the fourth year clerkships that you have to pick? When it states externship is that synonymous with rotation, as in rotating at NYCPM's affiliated hospitals (harlem hospital and metropolitan)??

Also, are all NYCPM students required to do some clinical and/or rotation work at their affiliated hospitals (in particular harlem hospital and metropolitan)? If so would you be rotating with MD and DO students there?

As you can see I'm a little confused with where NYCPM students start to do their "clinical" work and if those hours are along with MD/DO students from other schools. Any clarification would be more than appreciated. Thanks.

Hey everyone,

I was looking at the NYCPM curriculum and was wondering if any students clarify what the differences are between the externships you do during the third year course listings and the fourth year clerkships that you have to pick? When it states externship is that synonymous with rotation, as in rotating at NYCPM's affiliated hospitals (harlem hospital and metropolitan)??

Also, are all NYCPM students required to do some clinical and/or rotation work at their affiliated hospitals (in particular harlem hospital and metropolitan)? If so would you be rotating with MD and DO students there?

As you can see I'm a little confused with where NYCPM students start to do their "clinical" work and if those hours are along with MD/DO students from other schools. Any clarification would be more than appreciated. Thanks.

I can see where this can be confusing. In 3rd year we begin our clinical rotations, our class is split up into 4 separate groups (orthopedics, surgery, medicine A & medicine B). For that year we rotate through each of these and completing the clerkships that coincide with our rotation at the time. These clerkships are completed at the FCNY which is located on our campus, and also a few other clinics/hospitals associated with NYCPM. During your 4th year, externships are outside programs that you have applied to and have been accepted to go for about a 1 month period. These are generally programs which you would like to potentially do your residency. We as students like to consider them "month-long interviews" with potential residency locations. For NYCPM these 5 externships are completed between July & December of your 4th year. Along with those externships, however, there are a few senior clerkships to be completed at NYCPM which again involve rotating through some of the hospitals our school is associated with. These are the differences between the 2 words, however both involve working in a clinical setting and having a patient load. The difference comes with where these rotations are taking place.

I hope this helped clear some things up for you, please don't hesitate to ask more questions!

Good luck!

How much is the student housing rent? Is it utility inclusive? how many room-mates? and do you get your own room or do you share a room?

I can see where this can be confusing. In 3rd year we begin our clinical rotations, our class is split up into 4 separate groups (orthopedics, surgery, medicine A & medicine B). For that year we rotate through each of these and completing the clerkships that coincide with our rotation at the time. These clerkships are completed at the FCNY which is located on our campus, and also a few other clinics/hospitals associated with NYCPM. During your 4th year, externships are outside programs that you have applied to and have been accepted to go for about a 1 month period. These are generally programs which you would like to potentially do your residency. We as students like to consider them "month-long interviews" with potential residency locations. For NYCPM these 5 externships are completed between July & December of your 4th year. Along with those externships, however, there are a few senior clerkships to be completed at NYCPM which again involve rotating through some of the hospitals our school is associated with. These are the differences between the 2 words, however both involve working in a clinical setting and having a patient load. The difference comes with where these rotations are taking place.

I hope this helped clear some things up for you, please don't hesitate to ask more questions!

Good luck!

Thanks for this detailed reply this really helped!! I did understand that for 4 year you go to different hospitals to do your rotations - is there a lottery system at NYCPM as far as where you would like and where you ultimately get placed for the 5 locations/hospitals? It is as simple as applying to each hospital and hoping that not too many people are trying to extern there as well?

And generally where you are externing at these hospitals, are you generally going through rounds with other MD/DO students or is it more of a podiatry "group"?

How much is the student housing rent? Is it utility inclusive? how many room-mates? and do you get your own room or do you share a room?
Student housing Varies depending on if you live in a 5/4/3 bedroom from 1000/~1100/1250 per month respectively (more roommates = less expensive). 3 bedroom apartments have 1.5 bathrooms; 4 & 5 bedroom have 2 full bathrooms. All utilities are included and also wifi is provided by the school for each apartment. Each person gets their own bedroom, then shared kitchen and living room (naturally since these are real apartments.) Laundry is in the building but not within the individual apartments. It's a 15 minute walk from school so it makes for an easy morning commute and lets you sleep in a little bit later than a lot of other options.

Thanks for this detailed reply this really helped!! I did understand that for 4 year you go to different hospitals to do your rotations - is there a lottery system at NYCPM as far as where you would like and where you ultimately get placed for the 5 locations/hospitals? It is as simple as applying to each hospital and hoping that not too many people are trying to extern there as well?

And generally where you are externing at these hospitals, are you generally going through rounds with other MD/DO students or is it more of a podiatry "group"?

For clerkships you just rotate through all of the hospitals, it varies from day to day where you are. As for the 5 month-long externships you do, there is an application process and you must be offered a spot for the month(s) that you apply for. Generally students will receive all of the programs they really want to attend. I just got into 3rd year and haven't started this process yet, but will probably have more information about this around September/October. I do know that it is a process but it generally works out for most people in the end.

For clerkships you just rotate through all of the hospitals, it varies from day to day where you are. As for the 5 month-long externships you do, there is an application process and you must be offered a spot for the month(s) that you apply for. Generally students will receive all of the programs they really want to attend. I just got into 3rd year and haven't started this process yet, but will probably have more information about this around September/October. I do know that it is a process but it generally works out for most people in the end.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Student housing Varies depending on if you live in a 5/4/3 bedroom from 1000/~1100/1250 per month respectively (more roommates = less expensive). 3 bedroom apartments have 1.5 bathrooms; 4 & 5 bedroom have 2 full bathrooms. All utilities are included and also wifi is provided by the school for each apartment. Each person gets their own bedroom, then shared kitchen and living room (naturally since these are real apartments.) Laundry is in the building but not within the individual apartments. It's a 15 minute walk from school so it makes for an easy morning commute and lets you sleep in a little bit later than a lot of other options.
Thank you for the response. That sounds like a pretty good deal. Since it is an apartment style of housing, do you not have to vacate the apartment when school is not in session? Do students have part time job while attending NYCPM? It sounds like there will be no time for job at all but I figured I'd ask because.

Thank you students for responding. Kinda trivial, but I was wondering if there are safe locations to park the bike anywhere near the school. Does no one bike to school or anything?

You don't have to vacate because there isn't a time when we aren't in session haha. We do have 3 weeks off in between semesters, but that would hardly justify moving out and back in to the apartment. Student don't usually hold part time jobs while in school. There are work study opportunities on campus and paid tutoring positions if you do well in your classes. Students tend to gravitate towards these positions to earn a couple extra bucks. With any medicine program your time will be very limited.

Thank you for the respond dpmin2016. I also have another question about January Semester Admission. When does the admission cycle for January start and end?

Does any upper classman remember the materials needed for first semester? Bacteriology, Biochem, Cell bio and histo lab, Intro Genetics, and Neuro?

Does anyone know the time frame for applying to the MPH Program? I decided at the pre-orientation that I'm going to go for it and have completed everything, just waiting for references and transcript to be received. But the website says the deadline is August 1, 2014....

This question is more for 3rd and 4th years at NYCPM, but I'm wondering how common it is for pod students to rotate and do hospital work with other MD/DO students at other medical schools in NY. Do the pod students, for example, do their "internal medicine" or Emergency medicine rotation with students from New York Medical College of Medicine or NYU school of medicine?? Or are the pod student rotation programs/duties pretty much specific for the pod students?

Thank you!!

Are the medical students usually from specific schools in NY or does it depend on where you get your externships? I am asking this because I have friends going to MD/DO schools within the city and am wondering if there's a shot of running into them along the way during pod school.

Thanks!

Don't know if this topic has been brought up yet at NYCPM, but how is the situation if you want to bring a bike to school? Is there a bike rack by NYCPM and the heritage? I'll be living at the heritage as an incoming student and my main concern is where to store it during the night - would I bring it inside the apartment or just leave it outside?

Thanks!

Don't know if this topic has been brought up yet at NYCPM, but how is the situation if you want to bring a bike to school? Is there a bike rack by NYCPM and the heritage? I'll be living at the heritage as an incoming student and my main concern is where to store it during the night - would I bring it inside the apartment or just leave it outside?

Thanks!

There are bike racks in front of the school building, with security cameras around. As for the Heritage, there are a few racks around, but the students that I know take their bikes into their apartments.

There are bike racks in front of the school building, with security cameras around. As for the Heritage, there are a few racks around, but the students that I know take their bikes into their apartments.
Thanks for the reply and information!! Okay so it's pretty common to bring the bicycle into the elevator and up to your room? The other residents don't get pissed when you are trying to fit it in the elevator lol?

Thanks for the reply and information!! Okay so it's pretty common to bring the bicycle into the elevator and up to your room? The other residents don't get pissed when you are trying to fit it in the elevator lol?

I would say many students do this. There are other residents, who are not NYCPM students, that do the same. No one is bothered by this, it's pretty common

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering about the January start. Since they will have taken a few classes before joining everyone else in the fall, do they just leave for some parts of class during first year? Like I know all the normal first years just stay in that classroom all day so I was wondering what the January kids do during that time.

I was wondering about the January start. Since they will have taken a few classes before joining everyone else in the fall, do they just leave for some parts of class during first year? Like I know all the normal first years just stay in that classroom all day so I was wondering what the January kids do during that time.

Let's take the January class of 2018 for example. They start in January, take 3 classes (General Anatomy, Bacteriology, and Infectious Diseases) up to August, when the September 2018 class joins them. During that time-frame, they only stay for those classes, while the 2017 class (with which the January 2018 class take classes) stays for full days. In August/September, the entire 2018 class go to class, and the January students simply leave during Bacteriology first semester, General Anatomy second semester, and Infectious Diseases third semester. Makes sense?

Hi all,
Now that the new admissions cycle is in full swing, I just wanted to push this thread up on the list. This thread is intended for anybody interested in visiting, applying, or attending the school. Please ask anything you wish that may help your decision process. Your questions will be answered as promptly and honestly as possible. thanks and good luck with everything!

Can anyone attending NYCPM talk about the housing situation at the university? Does everybody who want it get it? If I went there I would prefer to live in the university housing, because finding a place to live in New York City can be a little intimidating for a person new to the area. Is there a system they have that would set you up with an apartment with other students?

Also, if anyone would feel comfortable stating the university housing costs, that would be great!

@rteter I'll be attending next year and I know that they are in the process of opening new university housing (closer to campus) and even when I was there for my interview in mid-October, they did not have much information about it. Hopefully they will know soon!

Can anyone attending NYCPM talk about the housing situation at the university? Does everybody who want it get it? If I went there I would prefer to live in the university housing, because finding a place to live in New York City can be a little intimidating for a person new to the area. Is there a system they have that would set you up with an apartment with other students?

Also, if anyone would feel comfortable stating the university housing costs, that would be great!

Hi, The NYCPM housing is currently located at the Heritage apartment buildings located on 110th and Madison Avenue. The rates range from $1000-1300/month depending on if you are living in a 3,4, or 5 bedroom apartment. However, beginning this January the NYCPM housing will be located 2 blocks from the school in a luxury apartment complex that used to be known as The Bridges. The new apartment complex will house students only and will include a gym, laundry, furnishings, and utilities. Because it is new and because I won't be living there next year I do not know the exact housing costs, but it is definitely something to ask the admissions office. I believe that everyone wanting housing will be able to get it, as I believe there are plenty of apartment spaces.

Reactions: 1 users
At the interview they said it would cost on average $1500 per person. More expensive if you have a single. It's completely furnished too

I'm going to be starting in January and got my "welcome packet" today. For housing, the Bridges is the building name and it's located on 124th and 3rd.
There's single($1575/month), deluxes singles($1680/month) and double shared (1250/month) and it all includes utilities. It has a gym, game room, study room, and laundry room.
I'm from Long Island and was planning to live in the bridges but the rent seems pretty steep...I lived in Brooklyn for undergrad and my rent wasn't this high, so I'm looking around at apartments in East Harlem as well.

Side note: If any girls are starting NYCPM in January, message me :0)

Hope that helps!

NYCPM '19! WOO!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,
Now that the new admissions cycle is in full swing, I just wanted to push this thread up on the list. This thread is intended for anybody interested in visiting, applying, or attending the school. Please ask anything you wish that may help your decision process. Your questions will be answered as promptly and honestly as possible. thanks and good luck with everything!
Hi there, I have a question regarding Accident and sickness insurance provided by NYCPM. Is dental insurance also included in this or does one have to purchase it privately/separately. Also, does the Accident and sickness insurance meet the Obamacare requirements? Thank you!!!

Hi, I've been wanting to ask a podiatry student's opinion on my chances for entrance success in podiatry school. Here are my stats:
3.53 overall, 3.37 science, 18 and 17 MCAT's (V-5, PS-4, BS-9) and (V-1, PS-8, BS-8)
I know the weak pts are the composite and verbal scores, but I believe the biological and physical science scores will actually point out that I can do well on boards and critically think in sciences which should be more important anyway. If you will, please let me in on your opinion for it will be most appreciated. Thanks.
Poor chances, need higher mcats

Each apartment will have between 5-7 students. Single means 1 person in a room, but there will be multiple people in the apartment

Single means: number of people that want to live at the bridges. Single. Lisa Lee.

So a double shared means you are literally sharing a room with someone else? Like dorm style back in college? I had the impression that a single was a studio-like apartment and a double was where you had you own room and bathroom but shared a living room/kitchen with another person.

Shared literally means 2 beds one bedroom, in a unit (unit: aka four walls around multiple bedrooms) with like 5 other people.
Even the grand luxurious ultra master single deluxe, is a single bed in a bedroom within a unit of multiple people all sharing bathrooms.
Street easy is showing you other apartments that you could get independently...not through nycpm...which are probably cheaper...and not a scam...that won't kick you out midlease...and stuff.. oh have you heard about the virtual doorman?

no haha the virtual doorman is a new one for me. So that is kind of a bummer. I can't imagine many people wanting to live there...especially with the rent so high

The rent isn't high for what it is. All the utilities and good luck finding another place with central air and no scary people wandering around lol

The rent isn't high for what it is. All the utilities and good luck finding another place with central air and no scary people wandering around lol

lol! 1600 isn't high for a 5br in east harlem? Good luck finding any non sketchy area near the bridges with both a mission, and a methadone clinic in a 2 block radius.

I didn't know that they would be sharing rooms...does anyone know how many bathrooms these apts have? I was not expecting the rent to be that high so I will probably be living off campus somewhere else in Manhattan

I'll go halfsies with you if its in walking distance of the school lol

I didn't know that they would be sharing rooms...does anyone know how many bathrooms these apts have? I was not expecting the rent to be that high so I will probably be living off campus somewhere else in Manhattan
I believe they said 2-4 people would one bathroom depending on the room choice

If anyone would like the full email on the new student housing at The Bridges, PM me and I will send you an email with all the information you need to know. And to those of you who got in, Congratulations! You are making a good choice.