NYCPM: Ask Current Students Anything!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yo, all the info is on the website along with the application? Are you sure you actually want to do this since it doesn't seem like you looked at all since it is the first search result on Google............

http://www.nycpm.edu/prehealth_internship.asp

I looked at it already. I want to hear other people's experiences

Members don't see this ad.

What makes NYCPM better than the other Pod Schools? Why did you choose to go there over somewhere else?

I don't think that those are required courses, but they are strongly recommended. I took A&P and biochem and I can honestly say that they helped me with the transition into the curriculum.

Oh, I don't have to be finished with those courses before submitting my application at least, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email for an interview invite today! I scheduled my interview next Tuesday! Any advice you guys can give me?? Thanks a bunch!

Also do you think seats are still available or is this for their waitlist?

Last edited:
I got an email for an interview invite today! I scheduled my interview next Tuesday! Any advice you guys can give me?? Thanks a bunch!

Also do you think seats are still available or is this for their waitlist?

When did you submit your application

I'm not sure if this was mentioned but how much does student housing cost at nycpm?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

I am international student applying to NYCPM and I wanted to know if anyone knows
what loan options are available to international students. Pretty sure there are international
students currently studying at NYCPM so your help and advice could really help me out.

Thanks in advance!

Hello, what are my chances of getting into podiatry, my stats are:
1. cGPA: 3.65, sGpa: 3.42
2. MCAT: 21 (VR 4, PS 8, BS 9)
3. I want to apply to all schools
4. I have a BS in biology and minor in Arabic
5. member of 2 clubs in Wayne State University, and did a semester of research
6. volunteered at a local pharmacy and shadowed two podiatrists
Thank you in advance
Is a 4 on the verbal a red flag to my application?

I'm not sure if this was mentioned but how much does student housing cost at nycpm?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

around $1200 for a room in a 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath

1050 in a 4 bed room, 2 bath

950 for 5 bedroom, 2 bath.

this is per month

all utilities and wireless internet included.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a question for those at NYCPM. This is my top choice school but my parents, and myself to an extent, are worried about the area in which the the school and housing are located. We would all like to know how safe the area is. I know that you can make it safe if you don't do the dumb things like walking by yourself at 3 am but how safe is the area for the school and housing?

I have a question for those at NYCPM. This is my top choice school but my parents, and myself to an extent, are worried about the area in which the the school and housing are located. We would all like to know how safe the area is. I know that you can make it safe if you don't do the dumb things like walking by yourself at 3 am but how safe is the area for the school and housing?

I walk from the subway station about 2 blocks away every day. From 125th and lex to 124th and Park.
Getting out of the station I pass about the same 25 bums every morning I even exchange a good morning with some of them considering how I often I see them. They are too high smoking bathsalts to give you any trouble (oh yeah hold your breath as you come out of the station). So at this point I am on the corner of 124th and Lex. I then walk town 124th and some unknown homeless guy always takes a **** on the sidewalk of that block so I just avoid that and then I am in the school safe and sound.
I usually leave at around 9 pm. Sometimes alone. If you walk down 125th to to get to the station theres always cops on every corner and tons of people. Havent seen or heard of anything going down. I saw a stop and frisk about twice but thats it. Oh and some of those same bums are still there. If you live in the heritage you can always take the schools shuttle that leaves every 15 or 30 minutes.

Basically, the area is more disgusting than dangerous.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a female and I live in student housing ~15 blocks from the school in Harlem. I've never had a problem. If I'm out late at night I will always take a cab home over taking the subway (the 456 sketches me out no matter what, but only because I think it is dirty, and it's safer that way no matter where you are. 125th street is actually pretty decent and has a lot of food options for lunchtime. Our school has shuttle busses if you live in the area and will take you home at night if you choose to stay at school later to study. It definitely takes adjusting to get used to living in the city, especially Harlem, but it isn't nearly as dangerous as people make it out to be. Don't psych yourself out about it.

Good luck!

Contrary to the another post, I think the 4,5,6 train is pretty good and clean for the most part. You have to remember that this subway line serves the Wall Street area and the tourist spots so it is pretty modern and the security is pretty good too.

Like others have mentioned before, you will see a lot of dirty/homeless-ish people from the subway stop to the school but for the most part, they are not dangerous.

Would a current student know what is asked in the interview session? I've heard that a current student runs the interview first and then it moves on to two faculty/professors afterwards. What are you guys looking for in candidates?

On another note, how would you justify having a low verbal score compared to sciences scores on the MCAT? I would say that I am stronger in sciences. And honestly between you and I, critical reasoning isn't really tested with the verbal reasoning section. I know for a fact that I would be able to think critically given the situation with a patient because of my passion to wanting to do it. Critically reading some stupid article about wind and the atmosphere and having 5 questions about the author's intentions isn't exactly what we will face in our careers. That's just my opinion.

Any thoughts?

When do classes start/end each day? Would it be safe to assume that I will be done on campus each day by 5 or 6? (I will be studying from home in the evenings.) I'm sure that it varies depending on clubs/research/extracurricular stuff but I would like to get a general idea.

During 3rd year you will occasionally have night clinic, but how often depends on your rotation. Night clinic end at around 8pm and the most often you will do it is during the Orthopedics/Pediatrics rotation where it will be every Wednesday. For other rotations such as Surgery, Med A, and Med B, it's more like 1-2 times per month.

Hey guys,
I have an interview in a couple weeks and I have a few questions.
What is the day like? If someone can please explain what the day is going to be like in detail, I'd really appreciate it. I understand I will be interviewed by faculty and student, and I'll get a tour of the facility and FCNY? What's FCNY?
How long are interviews and what are some questions they ask you?

My other questions are, are in-state tuition and out of state tuition the same? What schools are considered the top Podiatry schools?

Thank you so much, I'm really looking forward to my interview and NYCPM is my first choice followed by Samuel Merrit in Oakland.

Hey guys,
I have an interview in a couple weeks and I have a few questions.
What is the day like? If someone can please explain what the day is going to be like in detail, I'd really appreciate it. I understand I will be interviewed by faculty and student, and I'll get a tour of the facility and FCNY? What's FCNY?
How long are interviews and what are some questions they ask you?

My other questions are, are in-state tuition and out of state tuition the same? What schools are considered the top Podiatry schools?

Thank you so much, I'm really looking forward to my interview and NYCPM is my first choice followed by Samuel Merrit in Oakland.

1. The Day: You start around 9:30, they have a small breakfast for you, and then you will be shown in introductory video informing you on the program as well as student life. At some point during the morning you may be asked to write a short essay, it's more of an activity to let them get to know you more than anything else. After that you will do some shadowing in the clinic so you can see 3rd year students (primarily) working with patients to get an insight to your clinical years at NYCPM. You will then have a student interview & an interview with 2 faculty members. Once that's over you'll go to lunch with a couple of current students where you can ask any remaining questions and get a feel for the student body. The tour of the school is after lunch followed by a quick housing seminar for anyone interested in living at one of the off-campus apartments the school helps you with.
2. Interviews: I'm not sure exactly how long they are, but they go by very quickly. They may ask you about why you chose podiatry, why NYCPM, or something about your undergrad career. They may also ask you about any weaknesses in your application, and this is basically about how you respond to them. Questions have varied between myself and my friends, but just have confidence in your answers and why you are pursuing this degree and you will be fine.
3. Tuition: Same for in-state & out.
4. NYCPM had 100% residency placement this last year. Our Boards Part 1 had over a 90% first-time pass rate.

Good luck, and enjoy it !

Reactions: 1 user
First off thanks for contributing so much back to individuals interested in podiatry!

I would normally put this in the "what are my chances thread" but i figured you would know better since your at my top school!

My current stats are
3.2 GPA 3.1 Science 30 MCAT
Hoping to get my gpa up some more before applying
Have about 200 hours under supervision of various dentists
and about 100 from podiatrists as well as a lot of ECs and volunteer activities

What are my chances to get into either the Fall or January Class? i am really interested in this school!
What else could i do to better improve my application specifically for this school?

Thanks!

Sorry to come off paranoid, but does anyone know when NYCPM usually fill up their seats? Does anyone know the trends they've seen in recent years (as far as by what month they typically have filled up all their seats)?

Will they be full by early March...that is when I anticipate to hear from them.

Thanks if anyone can direct me on this. I really hope NYCPM doesn't fill up too fast it's my number one choice!

Sorry to come off paranoid, but does anyone know when NYCPM usually fill up their seats? Does anyone know the trends they've seen in recent years (as far as by what month they typically have filled up all their seats)?

Will they be full by early March...that is when I anticipate to hear from them.

Thanks if anyone can direct me on this. I really hope NYCPM doesn't fill up too fast it's my number one choice!

Hey, I have an interview at NYCPM soon and when I asked the person if right now is too late, she said not at all, they do interviews all the way to June.
And as you probably already know, deadline to apply to podiatric schools is June and you get priority if you apply before April. So I wouldn't think March is late at all.
Good luck, NYCPM is my first choice too, I really hope I get in.

Good luck on your interview!!

And yeah I figured that, I just didn't know if this year more people wanted to go to NY because from this forum it just seems a lot of people are talking about it.

Let's hope we both get in!! Best of luck!!

Yes, for the first two years you can expect to be done with classes and labs anywhere between noon and 6PM. Never later than that. I think the only exception is the third year for the days you have night clinic. I'm only a 2nd year so I'm not entirely sure how that works.

I'm entering the Jan class and i was wondering if you are aware of their schedule. Will we also start classes at 9 and end at 1? And what do you recommend for studying anatomy? Just grey's anatomy and atlas? DO you think Notes is more important in Dr. Anthoni's class, or his presentations? I heard his tests are cumulative, is that correct? I was just wondering what is the highest gpa in your class so far? And as a freshman, what did you find as the most difficult course?

Thanks for your help guys!!!!!!!!!

I'm entering the Jan class and i was wondering if you are aware of their schedule. Will we also start classes at 9 and end at 1? And what do you recommend for studying anatomy? Just grey's anatomy and atlas? DO you think Notes is more important in Dr. Anthoni's class, or his presentations? I heard his tests are cumulative, is that correct? I was just wondering what is the highest gpa in your class so far? And as a freshman, what did you find as the most difficult course?

Thanks for your help guys!!!!!!!!!

Kimoooooo, I'm a first year student starting in January as well. I have two roommates who are 3rd and 4th years, respectively. They have both told me for anatomy that gray's and an atlas are the most important things to have. They also said to study for his tests and quizzes, it's good to have gray's anatomy review book, the board review series, and to study what he teaches during lecture. They say it's a class we will have to study everyday if we want to do well. They have also said that we don't need to be freaking out before classes even start. We are both going to be fine. Hope to see you at orientation later this week.

Kimoooooo, I'm a first year student starting in January as well. I have two roommates who are 3rd and 4th years, respectively. They have both told me for anatomy that gray's and an atlas are the most important things to have. They also said to study for his tests and quizzes, it's good to have gray's anatomy review book, the board review series, and to study what he teaches during lecture. They say it's a class we will have to study everyday if we want to do well. They have also said that we don't need to be freaking out before classes even start. We are both going to be fine. Hope to see you at orientation later this week.

This was very helpful thank you. I also need to start reading chapter 1 as he suggested. I hope to see you too on Thursday.

Gray's anatomy review book and the board review series are online. Let me know if you can't find the pdf file for both books.

To an NYCPM student: how do commuters deal with days like this where there is 3 feet of snow?

The sidewalks are very well salted so walking isn't usually a problem. There are often subway delays, so leaving for school a little earlier if you are taking the train is a smart idea. I've never had a problem getting to school in bad weather, but for people driving & taking the trains the school is pretty understanding with coming in a little bit late to a lecture.

How many students don't live in the provided housing and where in NY do they live? Just trying to find safe areas to look if I don't end up staying at the heritage.

I lived in the Heritage my first year and would recommend it for the future first year students. It's a great way to get to know your classmates being that you are all living the the same 3 buildings. It makes it easy to set up spontaneous study parties or study breaks for that matter. I moved out my second year. It can be a little pricey if you are looking to live by yourself, but if you are living with roommates the rent can be the same and sometimes cheaper depending on how far you want to be from school. Outside Manhattan, I have classmates that live in Queens. You get a lot more for your money and the commute isn't too bad (30 minutes). I live on the Upper East Side now. It's an easy commute using the 4, 5, or 6 train. Parts of the Upper East Side such as Yorkville can be very affordable depending on the amenities you are looking for. It's perfectly safe where I live with mostly young professionals and families residing around my area.

Do you know any students living north of the city in the suburbs and commuting?

Do you know any students living north of the city in the suburbs and commuting?

A good number of people will live in Astoria or Sunnyside, Queens & take the train to the school. I believe there is also a decent bus route from those areas too. I believe the commute is ~45minutes. However I do agree that the Heritage is a great option for the 1st year as you are very close to the school so you can wake up and not worry about missing a train, and you get to know the city. There's also a nice community of students there so you can meet people easier.

I'm a first year and am living in Queens. Popular close places to live in queens that are in close proximity of the school are: Astoria, Long Island city and sunny side. These have 25-35 min commute. Not bad at all. I have a few classmates that live north and use the metro rail to commute. This railway is located 2 blocks from the school and they claim the commute is rather short.

How difficult is it to achieve a scholarship after your first year? If you get above a certain GPA will you get one? For example if you are top 10 at Temple they award you money. Is there something similar to this at NYCPM?

How difficult is it to achieve a scholarship after your first year? If you get above a certain GPA will you get one? For example if you are top 10 at Temple they award you money. Is there something similar to this at NYCPM?
In order to continue to receive the initial scholarship money, you need to maintain a 3.2. In order to be eligible for some of the new continuing student scholarships, a lot of the cut-offs are at a 3.4. There are also scholarships that all podiatry students are eligible for, such as the APMA (>2.7). There are also other random scholarships that do not necessarily have a GPA cut-off.

In order to continue to receive the initial scholarship money, you need to maintain a 3.2. In order to be eligible for some of the new continuing student scholarships, a lot of the cut-offs are at a 3.4. There are also scholarships that all podiatry students are eligible for, such as the APMA (>2.7). There are also other random scholarships that do not necessarily have a GPA cut-off.
Thank you! do you know what the average GPA is at NYCPM?

Really appreciate the feedback from current students!

How are the opportunities to maintain personal wellness in the area of NYCPM? Is there a gym assoc. w/ the school (or close to)? Are you guys able to find (or could you make time) to go to the gym everyday, or some other form of exercise? Thanks a lot.

Yea I probably could do a workout or two at the fitness room per week, but would definitely look for an affordable, close place where I could do some bigger lifts/weights (bench press, squat racks, deadliest, etc.) and a sauna would be great. I'm pretty good at sneaking in my workouts/tennis even when I'm super busy, so hopefully I'd be able to do some sort of active thing most days.

Hi,

I am a current student at NYCPM. What is going on about the exam policy changes? Why are they only letting students see what subject area they missed instead of letting them see the exact questions they missed? It is hard to get some reliable information from my classmates so just wondering if you guy/girls know anything? Thanks

Hi,

I am a current student at NYCPM. What is going on about the exam policy changes? Why are they only letting students see what subject area they missed instead of letting them see the exact questions they missed? It is hard to get some reliable information from my classmates so just wondering if you guy/girls know anything? Thanks

I would bring this issue up with your class president & vice president, they will know more about this policy change than one of us probably would, as it is has so far just been instated to the 2017 class and later.

What do you think you need to be in (class rank) to get into your top choice of residency in the NY/NJ area? I also heard that the average NYCPM student has a 3.0 GPA, is that correct?

Thanks for your time!

Hey all,

I just interviewed at NYCPM recently and really liked the school from everything I saw on interview day, so I don't have many questions in regard to the school. I was wondering how you guys/girls like the area? I was able to spend a few days in NY so I got the chance to walk around Harlem, see where the student housing is, etc. but there are still questions I have about it. I'm 24 and still enjoy going out and having a good time when I have the chance (but it's not like I'm gonna get blackout on a Tuesday night or anything to that extent). I was wondering if there are places to go out near the student housing and what type of population lives around there? Is there a good amount of young professionals living around the area and restaurants/bars/clubs to go to, or would I have to live near NYU, Columbia Univ. or some other part of Manhattan to get that feel? Also, does much of the student body go out and socialize, do people play sports, etc.? I know every class will have a mix of people with different interests, but if you were to tell me that 95% of the people stay in and study 24/7 that could be a potential drawback for me.

dpmin2016 is right, there isn't much around the Heritage in terms of nightlife. But the great thing about being in NYC is that everything is a subway (or taxi) ride away. Not needing a DD is great.

Most of the students are very studious but that is not mutually exclusive with knowing how to go out and have a good time. In addition to the organized flag football league and basketball teams, ping pong is a very serious thing at our school, lol.

Thanks for the responses. I figured that was gonna be the case in regards to nightlife and the subway is a huge selling point for me. I'll also say I'd bring a pretty stellar skill set for ping pong to the group haha. From the photos I saw and also looking at it from the street, The Heritage looks pretty nice. I was planning on staying there for the first year due to proximity to school and that I'm coming from out of state and it would just be much easier. Do you enjoy the student housing? Is there a lot of interaction between people (NYCPM students or not) in the housing or do they usually keep to themselves? And after first year when people tend to move out, what areas in Manhattan do they tend to move?

Sounds good. I'll make sure to bring my A game if I do end up at NYCPM. How did you decide on NYCPM over other schools? Right now I'm choosing between NY and Temple but can't really make up my mind. NYCPM seemed to have a slightly nicer facility, Temple is affiliated with a major university, and so forth. Is there anything that you believe sets NYCPM apart? I also didn't know if you think New York's rearfoot restrictions, though I know that's now changed, has any effect on the school. I know there are many threads devoted to NYCPM vs TUSPM, but I feel like those just get clogged up with biases and arguments, so I was wondering if you'd have anything to add from the actual experience of currently attending NYCPM.

I didn't interview at Temple, so I cannot compare the facilities for you. However, I based my decision to attend NYCPM on location since I wish to remain in the Northeast. I believe the clinic that we have at our school and the diversity of the patients we see during our rotations sets us apart from other programs in general, not just vs. TUSPM. I can say that I find NYC to be a much more accessible city in terms of transportation, restaurants, nightlife, etc. Being able to do pretty much anything you want when given the free time has been a huge bonus to living here (again this sets the school apart in general I think, not just when considering Philadelphia).
Concerning NY's former rearfoot restrictions, it did not negatively affect the educational experience at NYCPM. Students were/are taught procedures even up to the hip during rotations, just to ensure preparedness for any residency program in any state they may attend. If the procedure is not in the scope of practice for a podiatrist, students will rotate under an orthopedist (for example) in order to get the proper clinical exposure.
Good luck in your decision making!

Hi guys,

I know in the interview they said that getting student housing at the heritage isn't necessarily guaranteed...for those 1st/2nd years would you guys say you didn't have a hard time getting a spot in the heritage? I was recently accepted and am wondering if it's "late" right now to try to get the student housing accommodations.

thanks for any input!