NYCPM acceptance and stats required

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Natasha4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey do you guys mind putting up stats, I just need to get an idea =)

Members don't see this ad.

hey do you guys mind putting up stats, I just need to get an idea =)

matriculant avg cGPA: 3.3
matriculant avg MCAT: 22

as for me...

cGPA: 2.87
scGPA: 2.79
post-bacc: 3.53
gradGPA: 3.78
MCAT: 25

In a nutshell, low grades/higher MCAT will get you in (or vice-versa). Just don't botch your interview and you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)

as for me...

In a nutshell, low grades/higher MCAT will get you in (or vice-versa). Just don't botch your interview and you'll be fine.

What kind of graduate program did you do with that gpa? That's pretty impressive of an improvement.

What are my chances for NYCPM with a 3.7 cGPA and a 3.6 science GPA? Also a random MCAT score of 22

What are my chances for NYCPM with a 3.7 cGPA and a 3.6 science GPA? Also a random MCAT score of 22

GPA well above average, MCAT is within avg range; you're fine (even for any school) that hasn't filled its class, although I would apply very soon since it's starting to be late in the cycle.

as for me...

thank you=) i have. 3.5 cgpa and im planning to take the mcats this summer

Stick to looking at NYCPM or the aacpm website instead of comparing yourselves to others on this forum. If you meet the requirements found on those pages / you find yourself meeting or surpassing past statistics definitely apply. From there is comes down to the impression that you make during your interview. Even if your GPA & MCAT scores are significantly higher than average statistics, acceptance to the school has a lot to do with the interview and whether or not the faculty and staff can see you want to be in this field and potentially at their school.

I would honestly urge anyone interested in podiatry to skip NYCPM and shoot for another school for several reasons.

1) most (~70%) of the faculty/DPMs (and alumni directors and residents responsible for your required evaluations) have terrible personalities (e.g. think worse than bootcamp)

Just think for a moment--if you're looking to be an actual podiatrist you want faculty and directors who do not yell at the students every day (literally). If you want to be a podiatrist you would want directors and residents at hospitals to be fair and friendly instead of having them put you down every day of the week (you want find fairness/ nor friendliness at NYCPM for the most part). The DPMs, for the most part at FCNY, are truly unprofessional when they evaluate you. Instead of pointing out objective things that you might do in the clinic, you would instead nonconstructive belittling things written about you. I found this to be true on at least 4 accounts from different students.
The personalities and atmosphere in the clinics and hospitals needs drastic improvement as you will feel like nothing if you plan on doing podiatry school in NY (and the same goes for the 3 years of residency in NY). Most of the residents are miserable in NY, because this is their philosophy. For example, the directors treat the 3rd year residents like dirt and 3rd year residents treat 2nd year residents the same....Now, if you're going into the 3rd and 4th years of podiatry school you will be treated like less than dirt..guaranteed. It doesn't matter how smart you are, because this is their philosophy at this school and in their residencies. Keep in mind that this does not hold true in other states as I have witnessed first-hand. I noticed right away how residents in NC (for example) did not have to put up with this negative NY philosophy)

2) Ok, so enough about personalities which is extremely important for the second half of the 4 year DPM degree and during the residency years following school...the second reason has to do with the school itself. Students are not safe in Harlem. One student got held at gunpoint. Another student's girlfriend got robbed as well. Also, I've heard one student say that she got spit on two different times walking from the subway to school.

I will say, based on experience, that you will have to put up with people in Harlem calling you names as you walk to school on occasions. You will smell urine everyday and hear shouting everyday on the way to school Harlem is a very cruddy, low-life area and it only takes one walk-through to figure this out.
Now, why does this matter with its safety/violence relevance?
Think for a moment that if you are doing the required clinic work at FCNY you are indeed dealing every day (in 3rd year) with people who are violent and racist. I've shadowed in clinics before outside NY and I can say that you would do yourself a favor by not choosing NYCPM as you will be treated like dirt by the patient's themselves. I would say around 50% of the patients will have an attitude with either you or the doctor over you. I've heard a student being kicked in the face by a patient and many students being yelled out by the patients.

If you're getting attitude by the local patients half of the time and putting up with attitudes from most of the DPMs in the clinic the other half of the time, then you are miserable 100% of the time at NYCPM. You can add misery from living in many parts of the city (noisy neighbors, unfriendly communities, high number of home people begging you for change on every block,etc).

Simply put, choose another school any day of the week over NYCPM.

--other factors to consider: residency shortage and havingto pass board exam 2 the first time or you will likely have to wait a year for another small chance to get a residency...This problem may or may not improve. I believe that the students who were without a residency after match day had to do their residency in NYC and I know they will hate themselves for this (as many of my classmates did not want to do residency in NYC due to the horrible people on the crowded subways).

also, i should add that you should not worry about your GPA if it's 2.7 or higher when applying to many of the podiatry schools (except Chicago, which looks mostly at gpa/mcat scores).
If you have shadowed a podiatrist for a couple of weeks (or can just get a letter of recommendation from a podiatrist sent to the school of your choice) then you're basically accepted...
I would recommend Barry's Pod school or a location where the people are nice. This will matter most and you will see this right away once you have to work in the clinics in year 3.

I would honestly urge anyone interested in podiatry to skip NYCPM and shoot for another school for several reasons.

1) most (~70%) of the faculty/DPMs (and alumni directors and residents responsible for your required evaluations) have terrible personalities (e.g. think worse than bootcamp)

Just think for a moment--if you're looking to be an actual podiatrist you want faculty and directors who do not yell at the students every day (literally). If you want to be a podiatrist you would want directors and residents at hospitals to be fair and friendly instead of having them put you down every day of the week (you want find fairness/ nor friendliness at NYCPM for the most part). The DPMs, for the most part at FCNY, are truly unprofessional when they evaluate you. Instead of pointing out objective things that you might do in the clinic, you would instead nonconstructive belittling things written about you. I found this to be true on at least 4 accounts from different students.
The personalities and atmosphere in the clinics and hospitals needs drastic improvement as you will feel like nothing if you plan on doing podiatry school in NY (and the same goes for the 3 years of residency in NY). Most of the residents are miserable in NY, because this is their philosophy. For example, the directors treat the 3rd year residents like dirt and 3rd year residents treat 2nd year residents the same....Now, if you're going into the 3rd and 4th years of podiatry school you will be treated like less than dirt..guaranteed. It doesn't matter how smart you are, because this is their philosophy at this school and in their residencies. Keep in mind that this does not hold true in other states as I have witnessed first-hand. I noticed right away how residents in NC (for example) did not have to put up with this negative NY philosophy)

2) Ok, so enough about personalities which is extremely important for the second half of the 4 year DPM degree and during the residency years following school...the second reason has to do with the school itself. Students are not safe in Harlem. One student got held at gunpoint. Another student's girlfriend got robbed as well. Also, I've heard one student say that she got spit on two different times walking from the subway to school.

I will say, based on experience, that you will have to put up with people in Harlem calling you names as you walk to school on occasions. You will smell urine everyday and hear shouting everyday on the way to school Harlem is a very cruddy, low-life area and it only takes one walk-through to figure this out.
Think for a moment that if you are doing the required clinic work at FCNY you are indeed dealing every day (in 3rd year) with people who are violent and racist. I've shadowed in clinics before outside NY and I can say that you would do yourself a favor by not choosing NYCPM as you will be treated like dirt by the patient's themselves. I would say around 50% of the patients will have an attitude with either you or the doctor over you. I've heard a student being kicked in the face by a patient and many students being yelled out by the patients.

If you're getting attitude by the local patients half of the time and putting up with attitudes from most of the DPMs in the clinic the other half of the time, then you are miserable 100% of the time at NYCPM. You can add misery from living in many parts of the city (noisy neighbors, unfriendly communities, high number of home people begging you for change on every block,etc).

--other factors to consider: residency shortage and havingto pass board exam 2 the first time or you will likely have to wait a year for another small chance to get a residency...This problem may or may not improve. I believe that the students who were without a residency after match day had to do their residency in NYC and I know they will hate themselves for this (as many of my classmates did not want to do residency in NYC due to the horrible people on the crowded subways).

So, who was waiting for a response from me on this one?!

C'mon... I really hope people aren't taking that post seriously. It's a little humorous how untrue almost every statement is in that post. I think I've been able to be a positive force for NYCPM, as well as the other students posting here for NYCPM so here it goes...

Things that are true in that post: parts of Harlem smell like urine. I can't deny this one... especially under the train tracks. Woof!

Things that are false: pretty much everything else.

To start, I've never been yelled at.

I'm a third year student at NYCPM. Considering this post talks heavily about clinic life I'll give you some insight. I have excellent relationships with all the clinic doctors that I've worked for. Sometimes you will get a disrespectful patient. On numerous occasions, I've been defended by the doctor in front of said disrespectful patient. But guess what? In real life, some patients are going to be disrespectful and even worse, you'll work with some doctor who is disrespectful. These are life experiences. No matter where you work there will be someone you don't like - get used to it.

The clinic doctors pimp you. Every doctor does that, though, everywhere you go. You have to know some information before you get down to the clinic. If you don't know it, you learn it. You should want to make as many mistakes as you can while in your third year. That way the doctors there can show you exactly what you did wrong so you don't make those same mistakes during your externships. To that I say, bring on the constructive criticism! Please, tell me what I'm doing wrong so I don't do it when I leave here! The clinic docs give you evaluations based on what your strengths and weaknesses are. Halfway through each rotation you get a mid-rotation evaluation which tells you how you're doing. This is very helpful so you know what you have to improve on for the rest of the rotation. I see no problem with how the evaluations are set up. Yes, they evaluate your attitude. At the end of the day, would you want to hire someone who is rude to other students and to patients? Nope. So if you need an attitude check, you can bet on them telling you.

I've had a lot of fun living in NYC! You may not believe me, but the people are actually really nice. If you are rude to people then you have to realize, you're dealing with New Yorkers, and they'll be rude to you right back. I find it easy to be nice to people, though. And they're nice right back!

We have massive amounts of security. We have vans that bring us back and forth to the hospitals and vans that bring us to student housing and even to 86th street so we don't even have to worry about our own transportation. I find that aspect extremely helpful. The street we're on is very well policed - if you visit you'll notice that right away. Yes, it's Harlem, so be smart. Don't walk around alone at 1am and expect only the nicest people with the best intentions to be out walking around as well. I feel like that's obvious and I shouldn't have to say it...

100% of our fourth year students matched in a residency program. Sure, we do have a lot of people staying in the NY area but that was their choice, not because they were forced to. Believe or not, some people like NY. I do. I plan on staying in the area.

Please let me know if anyone has any questions. I truly hope I was able to quell some of that intense NYCPM negativity!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Eddie, from what I've seen at the campus and from interacting with over 23 ppl, I disagree with the majority of ur post.

Does anyone know about the pre health summer internship (the four day one) they have over there?

I lived in the South Bronx for over 8 years (which is more dangerous than harlem) and i've never been held up at gunpoint, never been spat on, never been robbed or harassed.

If you mind your own business, go where you're supposed to go and avoid doing things you shouldn't be (i.e. going to a bar in harlem at 10 P.M.) then you're fine...

You make New York sound like a dump. Who are the people that you know happened to you? Were they raised in the south or midwest? Jersey or Connecticut even? :laugh:

Can't argue with the other things as i'm not familiar with NYCPM too well but it went from a case of putting down the podiatry school to putting down the surrounding area and the entire island of New York City... :rolleyes:

I got into NYCPM last year, my interview was in March, but I suggest apply early if you have a weak GPA. They take about a week to reply after the interview. They accepted around 100 students. I am so grateful for getting in...

My undergrad GPA was 2.8 ... the science GPA was around a 2.7
MCAT- 26
Shadowed podiatrist for a year (they are very big on that. Do it , it your GPA is weak)

I was published in a couple of papers, I did a lot of research undergrad so that helped. I just wanted to say that, if your dream is to do podiatry or medicine, and your GPA is weak, please dont give up! Keep on trying, the worst thing you can do is give up. You might be given a chance, but you have to keep on trying for that to happen. Good luck everyone

What are my chances here. 3.7 cGPA. Around a 3.6 sGPA. 24 MCAT. About to get some shadowing time in with a local podiatrist. Currently working on getting a few LoR from professors at school.

This is post seems to be from a disgruntle former student. NYCPM is hard work but worth it. You are going to school to become a doctor. Patients' lives will be in your hands do not expect to be babied. You are going to meet mean people in this world but it is up to you to succeed. NYCPM gives you everything you need to get into a good residency and then to get a good job. I had a great experience at NYCPM, NYC and my residency. I landed a job that is very close to being my dream job (just not my dream location lol).

Last edited:
This is post seems to be from a disgruntle former student. NYCPM is hard work but worth it. You are going to school to become a doctor. Patients' lives will be in your hands do not expect to be babied. You are going to meet mean people in this world but it is up to you to succeed. NYCPM gives you everything you need to get into a good residency and then to get a good job. I had a great experience at NYCPM, NYC and my residency. I landed a job that is very close to being my dream job (just not my dream location lol).
so youre saying the guy from your post is over reacting just a little? Ive been to NYC a few times. I kinda know what to expect if i decide to go to school there.
Do you recommend it??

He is definitely over reacting and I do recommend it. However, NYCPM is a very hard school. Harlem is very inner city and parts of it is very poor. I spent 8 years in NYC and I lived 7 years in West Harlem/Morningside Heights it was the best years of my life so far.

so youre saying the guy from your post is over reacting just a little? Ive been to NYC a few times. I kinda know what to expect if i decide to go to school there.
Do you recommend it??

Morningside Heights? so did you go to Columbia?

My son like to apply next year he is expecting 510 MCAT and low GPA ( 3.0 to 3.2) Science and similar CGPA without grade replacement. He has freshman year F and D and then upward trend. What are the chances?

My son like to apply next year he is expecting 510 MCAT and low GPA ( 3.0 to 3.2) Science and similar CGPA without grade replacement. He has freshman year F and D and then upward trend. What are the chances?
I am concerned that he isn't the one asking the questions.

Reactions: 2 users
I am mother and and right now we are discussing many option as he is preparing his exam.

Have him contact the schools he is interested in himself. He may have to retake those classes. I think the lowest grade they allow is a C but I could be wrong.

I would not expect any score on the MCAT unless he scores/scored 510+ on the AAMC practice FLs. His GPAs are fine, as long as the F and D are not in prereq classes he will not need a retake. I suggest he make an account and browse the forums, as they are very helpful.

Have him contact the schools he is interested in himself. He may have to retake those classes. I think the lowest grade they allow is a C but I could be wrong.

Thanks. I will ask him. He has D in Physics he is retaking it for A. Does college consider that as positive?

He got D as he did not submit lab. test grade as all A

Please don't contact schools on behalf of your son, and if you do, please don't give out his name so they don't pin point who's mom is doing the work for him. No offense. Just want to help him.

Reactions: 3 users