NYC resident housing community?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RudinChickpea

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any forums for residents to share housing resources in NYC? Programs may provide some websites but they're quite general (Citihabitat, Streeteasy, etc.), and brokers usually charge 8-15% annual rent as a brokers fee, which is quite a lot with the already expensive rent.

I've been living in the city for the past 5 years and apartment hunting is still a nightmare for me. Got some terrible experiences with bad landlords and brokers. Just matched here and I'm wondering if there're communities for residents to share housing resources. For example, if graduating residents are leaving the city, is there a place for them to leave their apartments to incoming residents instead of letting them fall into brokers' hands? Are there places where residents from the same hospitals can find roommates?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sometimes when people leave a nice apartment they blast the email listserve so you can know about it but otherwise nothing easy

I genuinely thought that was a good idea. But maybe not. I guess the culture is different here. Housing is probably too much of an individual thing rather than communal.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

communal housing communities in NYC are a rarity. when you live in an area when ten people are applying to rent one place...you get the idea?

communal housing communities in NYC are a rarity. when you live in an area when ten people are applying to rent one place...you get the idea?
Yeah I do. I've lived in the city for 5 years and still find housing super challenging. What I realized was that "housing communities" exist in the city with small landlords and among people who know each other.People do advertise their apartments on social media, with generally better values than the market. But they don't have a platform to advertise it to the colleagues they don't know yet, who might be in great need of the their apartments.

Reactions: 1 user
Any forums for residents to share housing resources in NYC? Programs may provide some websites but they're quite general (Citihabitat, Streeteasy, etc.), and brokers usually charge 8-15% annual rent as a brokers fee, which is quite a lot with the already expensive rent.

I've been living in the city for the past 5 years and apartment hunting is still a nightmare for me. Got some terrible experiences with bad landlords and brokers. Just matched here and I'm wondering if there're communities for residents to share housing resources. For example, if graduating residents are leaving the city, is there a place for them to leave their apartments to incoming residents instead of letting them fall into brokers' hands? Are there places where residents from the same hospitals can find roommates?

Hi future Doctors,

Here is a website that provides housing in the NY area out of Brooklyn:
www.brooklyn11209.com

There areis no brokers fee. This site was set up for a few folks I know that rent rooms and apartments in one centralized location. There are no fees, these are landlords renting directly to tenants.

I've been living in the city for the past 5 years and apartment hunting is still a nightmare for me. Got some terrible experiences with bad landlords and brokers. Just matched here and I'm wondering if there're communities for residents to share housing resources. For example, if graduating residents are leaving the city, is there a place for them to leave their apartments to incoming residents instead of letting them fall into brokers' hands? Are there places where residents from the same hospitals

3 br apt , Pelham parkway ...1900 rent ..contact me for details , outgoing resident