NY Law exam and wet lab exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PillMan777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So my first question is why is NY so different than other states that they require the wet lab? I heard that if you practice one year outside NY then you can waive taking the wet lab exam, but is it worth bypassing? seems like there is a hidden agenda why they created the wet lab in the first place...perhaps to compensate for schools who don't have extensive course in compounding?

Secondly, what resources do I use for the law portion of the NYS exam?

Thirdly, if I choose to take all 3 exams, which order of priority should I take the exams to make it easier on myself?

Thanks all !!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

So my first question is why is NY so different than other states that they require the wet lab? I heard that if you practice one year outside NY then you can waive taking the wet lab exam, but is it worth bypassing? seems like there is a hidden agenda why they created the wet lab in the first place...perhaps to compensate for schools who don't have extensive course in compounding?

Secondly, what resources do I use for the law portion of the NYS exam?

Thirdly, if I choose to take all 3 exams, which order of priority should I take the exams to make it easier on myself?

Thanks all !!!! :)

NY Pharmacy is governed by the Office of the Professions. The same people who license architects license pharmacists. Their way of doing things has zero correlation to any other board of pharmacy. It's not that their way is completely wrong...unless you consider that everyone else does it differently. Thus, transfers to NY state lose all refills, and transfers from NY state must be done every refill.

Waiting a year after licensure to avoid the exam is up to your particular job opportunities and living situation.

For the law exam, I mostly just studied the actual laws and the materials I purchased from http://www.prontopass.com/

The compounding exam is only offered twice annually. Take that as soon as you can, but make sure you go to a review course at a NY school first. I took the NAPLEX first because the soonest it could be retaken was 90 days later upon failure. The law exam can be retaken 30 days later if you fail (if memory serves). Assuming you fail both, by taking the NAPLEX first you would delay licensure the shortest amount of time.

I was just wondering if anyone knew how long you're allowed to have your application sit at the NYS office before they disqualify it?

I recently sent in my material for NY and don't think I need to get licensed there for now. How long before I have to take my MPJE for NY to still have it sound as a score transfer.