Nutrient deficiency prevention?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caters

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How can I support someone who is on the verge of nutrient deficiency if conserving their well earned muscle mass is important to them?

This is for an SF society where muscle mass is important to reproduction and survival.

The person who I am talking about is severely ill Alma.

Here is her case:

Illness: Viral TB(a virus that is completely antiviral resistant and goes into active and latent phases
Phase: Active
Build: Muscular(noticeably muscular)
Symptoms:
Sore throat
Nasal congestion
Cough
Pneumonia
Esophagitis(difficulty swallowing due to inflammation)
Nausea
Vomiting
Malabsorption
Diarrhea
Proctitis(rectal inflammation)

She is in an isolated chamber and her doctor has protection on to prevent him from getting the virus she has while still being able to be close to her.

Now this is early on in her illness. Later on she will get things like ventricular hypertrophy and slow urine flow and her reproductive cycle will be stopped for as long as she is ill. And the virus forms granulomas when it goes into latent phase but latent phase in 1 system for her means that somewhere else, she has a few lucky ones that are active.

The pneumonia isn't much of a concern to me. I have had something like that once(month lasting flu virus that just felt like the flu was extended).

What is a concern to me is her severe digestive issues. I can only think of 2 things that I could do in that situation. 1 of those is a nutrient IV. The other is to have her barely survive and have extreme muscle and fat loss.

I don't think a nasogastric tube could work. Nausea and vomiting might force it out of her digestive tract. And the malabsorption means that even if it wasn't forced out by nausea and vomiting, all it would do is contribute to her diarrhea.

Are there any other ways to get around this muscle loss from nutrient deficiency besides an IV of nutrients?

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.