Nursing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GRjr.

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this is the wrong place but I'm not sure where to go and a lot of the other things on the forum seem to be geared towards pre-Doctors or high school students. If there's a better place this could be then I'm fine with it being moved or deleted.

I'm currently a college student majoring in Computer Science,however after a year I'm not entirely sure the program is for me. The things I'm interested in have changed and I find myself interested in pursing Nursing. However my current college does not offer any kind of degree related to nursing.

If I wanted to pursue this I'd probably have to transfer back home to Broward College in Florida.

I'm hesitant to do this because I'm scared of making decisions .
I graduate high school with my AA so I have that + computer science credits. I don't think I've actually taken anything for the nursing degree at Broward.

I'm not entirely sure where I'm going with this and I'm sorry if this is the wrong place, I guess I'd like some kind of advice? Maybe people who've had a similar experience?

Members don't see this ad.

As yourself this.... Do you like the idea of being a well paid waiter? Except instead of simply taking people's orders and bringing them food, you have to be at their beck and call for everything they need done. Additionally, imagine being a waiter, and the chefs tell you to go out and convince the patrons to eat something they haven't ordered and probably don't like. That's nursing in a nutshell. You walk around a floor answering call lights, performing tasks ordered by physicians, and having too much to do with too little time to do it all in. If you do have patients you like or want to spend more time with, you won't actually have time to do it. If you are lucky, you'll have a good boss and good coworkers. If you are not lucky, you'll have both a boss and coworkers you can't stand. And you spend 12 hours at a time around grouchy and or terrified patients and family, and possibly grouchy and or terrified coworkers. Everything is getting over regulated to the point where it seems everything you do needs to be double documented or confirmed with a coworker before you can do it. It's not like tv. Imagine everything you see on tv and then the nurses having to go back later and do paperwork on all the fancy stuff you saw them do when the gunshot victim came in. And the conversations with your peers you think you'll have are fiction. We don't have time to talk much, let alone any socializing. It's work from the time you get there to the tone you leave 12 and a half hours later, with the exception of a half hour lunch when your boss tells you to take it. You will go to lunch while your coworker watches his or her patients and yours. Then it will be your turn to watch 10-12 patients while they go eat. It's only 3 days a week, but most of my coworkers have to take sleep aids the night before they come back to work or else they stay up all night thinking about hat the next day holds in store for them. Patients arguing with us, family members telling us we don't know anything, mistakes made because of the crunch for time, and not simply because we suck at being nurses. All your work needs to get done whether you have 4 hard patients and one easy one, or 4 easy ones and one hard one. We live for our days off, believe me. On a day when your stomach is slightly upset, you gotta put on your airline stewardess smile and suck it up for 12 hours because nobody cares. Sick days? Don't take too many or get fired. It's a job where you are in front of people all day, every day. That's a med surg. ER is better in some ways and worse in others. Icu is the same. Better nurse to patient ratios, but patients that are train wrecks. Example: Doctor orders a large dose of a medication that will make your 400lb unconscious patient crap... All the time. That means bed changes, and moving hefting things covered in liquid poop. Or you get an AIDS patient with dementia that pulls out their lines every chance they get, flinging blood all over and requiring new line placement.

Thats just a taste. I don't mind all that most of the time, but that's me, and I'm in NP school and have a way out pretty soon. My point is, know exactly what you are getting into. I stared out gung ho and loved nursing... Briefly... And while administration treated us well. Things changed, and while we still get paid well and treated ok, the rules and regs have rained down to the point where we are being suffocated with documentation, and procedures, and micromanagement. As a job, it has perks, but the job itself is mostly pretty rough. It's a whole shift of waiting for something to happen to mess up the schedule you've set up to get everything done.

Contrast that with computer science... Solving puzzles all day. I'm sure it has down sides, but it's a completely different lifestyle than being a nurse. I think one of the main things about nursing I didn't expect or understand was the intensity with which I have people and situations tugging at me from all sides in a given shift. It's made worse by the fact that many are frivolous and unnecessary. So think about what that's like before you retool your future to accomodate your impression of nursing. It's a big jump from where you are, and you might not like it when you get there, but by then you are committed. That's time you won't get back.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the response! I'm aware that nursing has downsides, I've talked to both people who've completed the nursing program and are happy and those who quit the program and will curse nursing until the day they die It is a huge jump to make and I wish I could get more of what its like in person but I'm not sure how that works. All I know is that I don't think the computer science is for me and that my other interest is in nursing.

But your reply really did give me a lot to think about, thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the best ways to get a glimpse of what nursing entails is to become a CNA. The only limitation to that is I've rarely had a CNA that really understood the extra effort that goes into being an RN when it comes to the stress and mental focus we have to have. When I have a CNA that gets upset at something they think I should be doing, my best explanation to them is that I am doing everything they do (because if I relied on a CNA to do all my work like they think they do, nothing would get done), and then the extra stuff that the hospital is willing to pay me 3 times or more what they make to do. CNA's tend to think nursing is mostly the physical actions they see us working on that they are familiar with.

But that minor point aside, being a CNA will show you firsthand what goes on, as well as some of the burdens. It will probably do you a lot of good to try that out first. When someone pays you to do something, they place expectations on you that you will never experience just being an outside observer, and that changes perspective entirely.

The good things about nursing, if you don't get bogged down by the negatives, are numerous. The pay is good. Just did my taxes, and even living in a low cost of living location, in a lower cost of living state in a great metro area, I'm making around $89k working 3 days a week, and with a small amount of overtime. I've only been a nurse for a few years, and that's more money than new PA's and NP's can expect to make around here. I also get decent benefits through my facility. I get PTO that works out to be about 19 shifts per year. Since I work 3 days per week, that means I can basically take 6 weeks off without even beginning to lose money. (That may be more than I will get to take off working as an NP). But, many nurses can set their schedules up around the time they want off, so often I take time off without having to actually use my vacation time... I just schedule around events. That's not the case everywhere, but most of the nurses I know around the country do that. And then there is the fact that you can get a job easily in most places in the country... with a few exceptions.

I also see things through the lens of being a hospital based nurse, which is all I've ever known. However, there are literally dozens of roles that nurses can work in. You could work in nursing informatics, and use some of your computer science cred. You could also work in epidemiology with your skills. I literally can't even scratch the surface of all the roles you can serve in with an RN next to your name. I've had job offers in IT, health insurance, drug sales, healthcare analytics, school nursing (both public schools and college campus). Its best to cut your teeth in the hospital at first, but from there, you have options that can take you away from the bedside. If you further your education, you can teach at a university. You can also do travel nursing, which involves filling in all over the country when a facility has a need. That can pay well. The possibilities are quite large, though many won't be handed to you without some networking and effort to gain credentials and experience.

Besides those aspects, bedside nursing is rewarding. I like people, and nursing gets you out there helping folks, but it also exposes you to people who act in ways that drive you nuts, so just be ready for that.

Reactions: 1 user
Before getting married to the idea of nursing make a list of what you hope to get out of that career. Then do a search of professions or disciplines that could also meet those needs.

If it's still nursing, research what you'll need to do to apply and succeed in programs. There is great upward mobility in the profession if that is your goal. Really, many options, but do your research before jumping in. While I really loved nursing, I'm finding that being a Practitioner after 15 years an RN is more rewarding. But if I hadn't put in my bedside time, I'd be less prepared and comfortable.

As yourself this.... Do you like the idea of being a well paid waiter? Except instead of simply taking people's orders and bringing them food, you have to be at their beck and call for everything they need done. Additionally, imagine being a waiter, and the chefs tell you to go out and convince the patrons to eat something they haven't ordered and probably don't like. That's nursing in a nutshell. You walk around a floor answering call lights, performing tasks ordered by physicians, and having too much to do with too little time to do it all in. If you do have patients you like or want to spend more time with, you won't actually have time to do it. If you are lucky, you'll have a good boss and good coworkers. If you are not lucky, you'll have both a boss and coworkers you can't stand. And you spend 12 hours at a time around grouchy and or terrified patients and family, and possibly grouchy and or terrified coworkers. Everything is getting over regulated to the point where it seems everything you do needs to be double documented or confirmed with a coworker before you can do it. It's not like tv. Imagine everything you see on tv and then the nurses having to go back later and do paperwork on all the fancy stuff you saw them do when the gunshot victim came in. And the conversations with your peers you think you'll have are fiction. We don't have time to talk much, let alone any socializing. It's work from the time you get there to the tone you leave 12 and a half hours later, with the exception of a half hour lunch when your boss tells you to take it. You will go to lunch while your coworker watches his or her patients and yours. Then it will be your turn to watch 10-12 patients while they go eat. It's only 3 days a week, but most of my coworkers have to take sleep aids the night before they come back to work or else they stay up all night thinking about hat the next day holds in store for them. Patients arguing with us, family members telling us we don't know anything, mistakes made because of the crunch for time, and not simply because we suck at being nurses. All your work needs to get done whether you have 4 hard patients and one easy one, or 4 easy ones and one hard one. We live for our days off, believe me. On a day when your stomach is slightly upset, you gotta put on your airline stewardess smile and suck it up for 12 hours because nobody cares. Sick days? Don't take too many or get fired. It's a job where you are in front of people all day, every day. That's a med surg. ER is better in some ways and worse in others. Icu is the same. Better nurse to patient ratios, but patients that are train wrecks. Example: Doctor orders a large dose of a medication that will make your 400lb unconscious patient crap... All the time. That means bed changes, and moving hefting things covered in liquid poop. Or you get an AIDS patient with dementia that pulls out their lines every chance they get, flinging blood all over and requiring new line placement.

Thats just a taste. I don't mind all that most of the time, but that's me, and I'm in NP school and have a way out pretty soon. My point is, know exactly what you are getting into. I stared out gung ho and loved nursing... Briefly... And while administration treated us well. Things changed, and while we still get paid well and treated ok, the rules and regs have rained down to the point where we are being suffocated with documentation, and procedures, and micromanagement. As a job, it has perks, but the job itself is mostly pretty rough. It's a whole shift of waiting for something to happen to mess up the schedule you've set up to get everything done.

Contrast that with computer science... Solving puzzles all day. I'm sure it has down sides, but it's a completely different lifestyle than being a nurse. I think one of the main things about nursing I didn't expect or understand was the intensity with which I have people and situations tugging at me from all sides in a given shift. It's made worse by the fact that many are frivolous and unnecessary. So think about what that's like before you retool your future to accomodate your impression of nursing. It's a big jump from where you are, and you might not like it when you get there, but by then you are committed. That's time you won't get back.

Well said! Nursing is a noble job nut nursing today is more difficult than in the past. Administration requires more with little time. It is tiring and will put you in deep depression. The lifestyle is good but one has to know when to rest. You have to take care of you first.

Hi guys. Maybe some of you've heard about a unsafe nurse-to-patient ratios. Medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the United States. Nurses, healthcare providers, and the scientific community understand that unsafe nurse-to-patient ratios contribute to increased morbidity and mortality for patients.
In 2018 nurses from around the United States will gather in Washington DC again to raise public awareness regarding safe nurse patient ratios.
More info here: nursestakedc
Raise public awareness regarding safe nurse to patient ratios! - Medcourses US - medical courses, conferences, events

Last edited: